• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Iron Man 3 Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread. - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't we all used to the idea of other heroes mysteriously disappearing while we read titles devoted to just one character? What's the big deal?

I don't think there is one. At the end of the day, it's like a lot of other things: Marvel has created this universe across several films, so how they handle that will be part of the discussion.

Apparently with this film they wanted to make sure it focused on IM/Tony Stark without any crossover material.

I think it was probably the right choice. We'll see how it plays out in the other phase 2 films, but they want the solo films to work as solo films, and they want the crossovers to feel special. Not just another day at the office.

I don't think there is one. At the end of the day, it's like a lot of other things: Marvel has created this universe across several films, so how they handle that will be part of the discussion.

Apparently with this film they wanted to make sure it focused on IM/Tony Stark without any crossover material.

I think it was probably the right choice. We'll see how it plays out in the other phase 2 films, but they want the solo films to work as solo films, and they want the crossovers to feel special. Not just another day at the office.

Just don't think you can do that in a post-Avengers world, except with Thor.

When you're plot revolves around a conspiracy to replace the President with a lackey for a terrorist organization, how could SHIELD not be involved?

Just don't think you can do that in a post-Avengers world, except with Thor.

When you're plot revolves around a conspiracy to replace the President with a lackey for a terrorist organization, how could SHIELD not be involved?

You saw the end of Avengers right? Seems like a pretty simple explanation to me.

More then likely Shield was busy hunting down the Mandrain and knew nothing about the other aspects of the plot that Stark was following. So I am fine with them not being involved.

Alright, now that the film is released, we can talk spoilers now...

I think one of my favourite moments from the film was when Tony's villa first gets attacked by the helicopters. You see Tony summoning his armor and it just zips past by him as he puts it on Pepper. Really touching scene and showed just how much he cared about her. It's a shame how the film completely kills the mood and momentum of scenes like that by following them immediately with some trivial smartass one-liner. Like someone else already mentioned, seeing Pepper plummet to her death after all he did to protect her, Tony should've been an explosive mix of an emotional wreck and a raging inferno of retribution but no, he has to crack another joke two minutes later.

Time won't be as kind to this film as some fans are right now. It's not going to be as forgettable as the second one, but not as memorable as the first one either.

If you watch the end of Avengers it's pretty clear that the powers that be were pissed at Fury for trying to stop the Nuke, he even shot down one of his own planes. Also you saw all those congressmen during the end montage complaining about the damage and how the Avengers/Shield would be blamed.

Simply put, SHIELD's help isn't wanted.

If you watch the end of Avengers it's pretty clear that the powers that be were pissed at Fury for trying to stop the Nuke, he even shot down one of his own planes. Also you saw all those congressmen during the end montage complaining about the damage and how the Avengers/Shield would be blamed.

Simply put, SHIELD's help isn't wanted.

And yet, Winter Soldier has SHIELD active in the narrative. What? You think those shadowy characters in the Avengers have that much control over Fury, considering what we've seen from him in the Avengers?

Yeah...no.

And yet, Winter Soldier has SHIELD active in the narrative. What? You think those shadowy characters in the Avengers have that much control over Fury, considering what we've seen from him in the Avengers?

Yeah...no.

Maybe SHIELD was busy...? :huh:

Maybe SHIELD was busy...? :huh:

Did you see the size of the SHIELD facility at the beginning of the Avengers? How many agents do you think they have worldwide? Hell, how many was on the Hellicarrier in the film?

Come on, now.

Yeah...no.

Try the Government doesn't' want their help.

Shield was busy? I've now got this mental image in my head of an entire government agency all off for the weekend in Vegas. :lmao:

Time won't be as kind to this film as some fans are right now. It's not going to be as forgettable as the second one, but not as memorable as the first one either.

Have to agree. IM3 is a good movie, but IM1 has stood up to 5 years of scrutiny and still holds up very well. Just because something is newer does not mean it's better. I think the critics pretty much have it right despite the griping from some fans. Even the poll on this site seems to get it right too in that the vast majority are siding with IM1. 5 years from now the gap will probably be even larger because IM3 will go through the same nitpicking that IM1 has already dealt with.

Did you see the size of the SHIELD facility at the beginning of the Avengers? How many agents do you think they have worldwide? Hell, how many was on the Hellicarrier in the film?

Come on, now.

Yes, and I wondered where, at the very least, Cap might have been while all this was going on, as this would certainly be a mission for him as well.

But since he didn't show up, I assumed he was busy elsewhere and went back to watching the movie. With so many sequels coming, I'm sure there's an explanation somewhere.

Shield was busy? I've now got this mental image in my head of an entire government agency all off for the weekend in Vegas. :lmao:

At the shawarma bar...

Have to agree. IM3 is a good movie, but IM1 has stood up to 5 years of scrutiny and still holds up very well. Just because something is newer does not mean it's better. I think the critics pretty much have it right despite the griping from some fans. Even the poll on this site seems to get it right too in that the vast majority are siding with IM1. 5 years from now the gap will probably be even larger because IM3 will go through the same nitpicking that IM1 has already dealt with.

That's why I've held off on saying it's better. But if it's not better it's right up there in my book.

The thing that impresses me the most about the movie, is that it could have been a major letdown after Avengers.

Where Shield is is kinda unimportant really, it's clear going by this film, and even by the Thor 2 trailer, that in between Avengers films the happenings outside the character at hand are going to be at best referenced and quickly forgotten about. I'd equate it to the James Bond films before CR, for 40 years all those films were technically in the same universe, but plot elements from the films rarely crossed over into one and other.

Where Shield is is kinda unimportant really, it's clear going by this film, and even by the Thor 2 trailer, that in between Avengers films the happenings outside the character at hand are going to be at best referenced and quickly forgotten about. I'd equate it to the James Bond films before CR, for 40 years all those films were technically in the same universe, but plot elements from the films rarely crossed over into one and other.

I would've said unimportant as well, until the plot of the film deals directly with national/homeland security.

Can't avoid SHIELD when it deals directly with what they're suppose to be all about.

I'll be honest, it didn't even cross my mind until I started seeing it being brought up.

I'll be honest, it didn't even cross my mind until I started seeing it being brought up.

And the funny thing is that it's totally fixable. Have a scene with Tony and Rhodey in direct contact with someone from SHIELD where we find out that SHIELD is tracking other leads to the same problem and Tony and Rhodey decide to continue on the lead they have.

Not to mention a scene with Fury scrambling everyone at SHIELD to get a fix on Tony's whereabouts after the mansion attack.

I posted my FIRST EVER video review on YouTube, right after I saw Iron Man 3. Won't post the link (I cuss a couple times in the video) but my channel is TheMavonduriTrilogy. Check it out if you like :woot:

I think people are overstating the talk of shield not being in the movie. there was alot of smoke and mirrors going on. Stark followed a thread of it that he found and it led him to the true threat. Shield just as easily could have been following the decoys. not to mention Stark was not that fond of Shield at the end of the Avengers so why would he call for help.

I loved the film. Twist and all. It was nice to see Tony going up against bad guys that didn't just strap on a suit of armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"