Iron Man 2 OFFICIAL: Rate & Review Iron Man 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the film was a solid 10/10

RDJ knocked it out of the park once again..acting/action:)

Whiplash was one cold mother ****er.To me he had enough screen time,and was used wisely.

Hammer was a lovable prick.

ScarJo was....well ScarJo:p

Loved the whole film..cannot wait for Avengers

just saw it for the first time. I gave it an 8. Much better than the first which I did not like.

Originally Posted by HappyPalooza View Post
I'm still stunned by some of the hating on this movie. I mean, overall, this movie was very well received but there's always that small, but loud group that have to **** on everything people like. It's one thing to dislike it, that's totally cool, but to be so venomous over it is absurd.

There's people complaining that it was just a mindless CGI-extravaganza, then say the fight scenes were too short. Huh? Then there's the really technical film studies students who judge it on trivial technicalities like "well it's fun and funny and cool but Hammer's more of a brains-type and Vanko is behind the scenes the whole time so you never get a real feeling that Stark is in danger other than the poisoning which goes away midway so therefore it's not a good movie like the first" while the first one had just as much, if not less of a looming threat in Stane. Also the argument makes no sense in general.

But probably the worst complaint I've heard is that Stark goes through regression. Nuh uh. We love Stark in the first because he's a dick. It's what made him different than all the other superhero movies and why people flocked to it. The bully gets the power for once and it's fun to watch. Not to mention how much more realistic it is to have someone who is a dick remain one. Like RDJ himself said filming the first, it's not fun seeing the hero turn into a generic Dudley Do-Right just because he starts saving lives, if someone's an ******* and has a change of heart, he should at least maintain a sense of humor. So at the end of the movie, Stark disobeys very specific orders from a big organization to get some attention and we applaud him for it. Movie over. That line- "I am Iron Man," is pretty much a set-up for this movie. It tells us he's ego is very much not in check and that everyone knows who he is and that that's a big deal. In case you forget about this, they recap it AT THE START OF THIS MOVIE. Then we revisit him in his awesome self-indulgent appearance at Stark Expo, a scene where while he is egotistical, he's very clearly playing it up for the crowd and for fun. So that complaint makes absolutely zero sense to me.

I think some people just like to **** on things that are popular. The first had no expectations, this one did, so they sat and they waited to find its flaws (it of course isn't flawless, no movie is) and nitpick the **** out of it. Like I said, if some people didn't enjoy the movie, so be it. I understand, different strokes for different folks. But don't be a little ***** and **** all over something other people like to fill your booming ego. And this doesn't just go for this movie, BUT ALL MOVIES!

I've seen this repeated a lot and I don't understand why people feel this way. Stark gets cured right before he leaves for the final battle. He even puts in the new arc reactor into his body without any testing because he needs so he can head out to the final battle. That's not the midway point of the film.

What was a really bad thing that I couldn't stand in the movie is how Rhodes is telling Stark what to do with his own property.

I enjoyed the first movie more than this one, but maybe that's only because I came into it with no expectations. With the sequel, there's always this anticipation of can it outdo the original?

Not a bad movie though, I would give it a solid 7, whereas I think the first hit more to the tune of 8 1/2

I enjoyed this one more than I did the first one, but I have to say I found Pepper to be really annoying, she is -to me- the weakest link in this film

I like making Justin Hammer a young man, but they didn't give him the strong personality he had in comics, arresting him was a weak scene

I really liked the idea of turning Vanko to Whiplash before turning him to the Dynamo

my only gripe with the film is the same gripe i had with the first film. The last fight could've been better. the fight w/ the drones was fine, but vanco should have lasted longer. I feel like if he was fighting for a few minutes longer it would have made up for his short screen time.

(w/ the first film i wanted to see him at full power against an equil.)

edit..over all both films rank among the best comicbook films imo.

Just finished watching the blu-ray, looks fantastic, sound is great.

- Still bored of whining, moaning Pepper, she is in it far too much.
Would have loved some of her screentime cut down to make the end battle last a little longer.
- Hints and nods towards Avengers is nice to find and look for.
- IM/Rhodey house fight was fun but ruined by poor music choices.
- Scarjo is flaming hot hot hot and enjoyed seeing her fight scene.
- Fav/Happy should stick with been in the background.
- Hammer was good could have done with more power he seemed abit of a push over from all sides.
- Whiplash started off great but ended up a large slow machine which ended with an overly quick final fight.
- Justin Theroux is a crap script writer and should not do an action film again.

Still enjoy the film but not a patch on the first film. Such a shame we have had two films now have these big long build ups for a short, boss/final fight.
7.5/10

Last edited:
I thought this film was a step up from the first one. But then, I wasn't blown away by either of them, unfortunately. But they are in no way bad films. They're both made really well.

My only real complaint with this one is the same as the first - they keep pulling back their punches. Both emotionally and action-wise. Both films set up these themes, these serious, personal (sometimes dark) themes. They introduce them to the audience to say it's there and then that's it. They don't delve into it.

Iron Man 2 handled this a little better than the first one. The first one felt like the movie was made using the head and balls. No heart at all. The second one had some heart to it and delved into its themes a little more. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some big Dark Knight banger, I have similar problems with those films too.

I enjoyed the acting, the action, there was more drama, the enemy was better (in NO WAY a negative against Jeff Bridges, I just mean the writing for the bad guy). One guy I didn't enjoy watching was Justin Hammer, whenever he had those angry outbursts. At first it was funny, then it just got Jim Carrey's Riddler level of "Jesus Christ...". But did anyone pick up the feeling that these rich CEO creators like Stark and Hammer were all a bunch of eccentric whackos because they could afford to be. I liked that.

I see how people reacted really positively to the first one, what with having a main character who wasn't a Peter Parker, Bruce Wayne or the latest Clark Kent. All of these guys are tortured heroes. They don't WANT to be superheroes, they bloody have to be. Stark came across as "Hey-I-got-this-thing-that-can-make-me-do-anything!-How-cool-is-that?-Watch-me-blow-up-my-house-because-I-can!-I've-got-MONEY!". Which is nice. I think the audience responded so positively to that, that when Iron Man 2 came out and was doing more of the same, I think general audiences were like "oh yeah, he's being a silly duck again". Wasn't as fresh the second time around. Iron Man 2 needed to hit that emotional note (and the action note) more than a bit harder than the first one.

One thing the first movie left me thinking was "Because of this film and the way it went, I think Iron Man 2 will be bloody brilliant.". You know, we'd get more Iron Man, crazier action sequences, things like that. Barring the race track fight and the end flight chase and fight...where the heck was IRON MAN? It felt like the action took a back seat in this film, which I felt was the wrong way to go. But I guess the story of him dying dictated that, so okay.

Pepper Potts - I've read some negative stuff about her role in this film. Didn't bug me as much as she bugged other people. She was alright.

I don't have much to say about Nick Fury and Black Widow, other than it was nice to see them haha I don't mind Sam Jackson's sort of laid back Fury in this one. He gives off a sense of "he's seen a lot of crazy ***** and this guy in an armored suit doesn't really scathe him". I thought that was alright. Oh, one thing about Black Widow, are we going to hear that Russian accent, ever? or not? I sort of missed it in this film. It would have been nice to see her sort of slip into the Russian accent when she was alone with Tony (when her cover would not be compromised).

The end fight against Vanko, probably has been said but, too short. It was over faster than the one against Iron Monger. I had wished for a bit more out of that one as I enjoyed the fight choreography a lot more in this one.

Overall, don't get me wrong, it was good. A great 2 hours of entertainment. I enjoyed it more than the first. I can't wait for a third.

Last edited:
Well I've finally seen it got it today for Christmas, 7/10 not great but definitely not bad. The movie drags at the start and in the middle but ends well and the fight with Whiplash a the racetrack was pretty good. I think the problem is the villains abit weak. So all in all not as good as Iron Man 1 but definitely not a franchise destroyer like Spider-man 3 was to that series.

Edit: I also thought Don Cheadle was better than Terrence Howard as Rhodey aswell.

Edit 2: Loved the Thor hammer scene at the end :D

Last edited:
Saw it a few days ago and I have to say that the movie surprised me! It was quite good.

For me, it's second to Batman 89 as my favourite comic book movie.

Sam Rockwell was great as well as RDJ.
Rourke did a great phone-in job, he makes acting look too easy hehe. Any other actor would have made Whiplash the stereotypical villain boring.

5/10 Not horrible or great. Average. Not as good as the first flick.

It's okay. It's decent. I didn't ask for my money back.

But the essential truth is that Iron Man 2 is a potboiler. It's pure product. Very professional, but no heart like the first movie. This is a super-sleek conveyor belt blockbuster that cashes in on the popularity of the first movie and sets the audience up for the Marvel movies to come.

The storyline is a big, big mess. It's a jumble of ideas rather than a focused story. There are so many plotlines going on that either continue from the first movie, set up the next movie, set up future Marvel movies, or all of the above, that there is barely time for this one to have any identity of its own. Iron Man 2 ends up being more-or-less a comedy with some great CGI work. Downey riffs with everyone, but he shouldn't still be doing it by the supposedly exciting climax when lives, including his, are in danger. But that's the tone of the thing.

Iron Man 2, more than anything, reminds me of Lethal Weapon 4. It's essentially a cast reunion, with some brand new actors to show off, some impressive action to look at, and a token attempt at a story.

Iron Man 2 is amusing but an absolute waste of potential. When many superhero sequels are superior to their originals, IM2 seems very lazy and half-assed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"