Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say about 20-30 people. I live in Florida, though; most people here think it's either boring or gay. It's mostly the Fast & the Furious/Hangover type of crowd where I live.

I know that feel, bro.:csad: (live in Louisiana).

Are they still going to use Del Toro's designs for Smaug, the dwarves, etc? Or will they be sticking with Jackson's dwarves and his own take on Smaug?

So much time and money was spent on Smaug, i'd be very surprised if they changed him this late in the game.

They better keep the design that del toro help with, or else. :argh:

Sounds like your showing was more exciting, I would have loved to see it with a packed crowd. We didn't have a host/presenter, and viewed the movie on a slightly older Christie projector from like 04/05 (I was hoping to see it on one of the theater's higher quality screens), so the picture was darker than it should have been in some parts. The sound was kind of disappointing at my screening as well, just about all of the dialogue was isolated to the front speakers only, with the surround only coming to play for special effects and music, which muffled some of the characters.

Still had fun seeing it on a large scale, though, despite a somewhat lackluster presentation. :up: I probably shouldn't have been surprised, seeing as the theater I went to is run primarily by teenagers.

Seeing it with a crowd was fun, although it was pretty quiet and you could tell that mostly everyone had seen it a bunch of times already. Everyone applauded at the end, I think a few stayed for the fan credits at the end, which is when we left.

We had some guy from a Sirius/XM radio show hosting before the movie started. He didn't do much, other than remind everyone that the movie was really long and to hit the bathroom now because there wouldn't be a break. He also said he'd seen the new blu-rays and they looked terrific. Someone also asked if Tom Bombadil would be in the version we were seeing last night. :doh: (he was kidding)

Our picture quality was really good - it was like watching a giant blu-ray, which was pretty cool. And they had the sound cranked up, the ringwraiths almost split my eardrums last night. :up:

They better keep the design that del toro help with, or else. :argh:

I'm sure they will. From what I remember, most of the designs were already finalized before Del Toro left, seeing as the original plan was to start filming in March/May of last year.

Our picture quality was really good - it was like watching a giant blu-ray, which was pretty cool. And they had the sound cranked up, the ringwraiths almost split my eardrums last night. :up:

Lucky. :cmad:

Can't wait for TTT and ROTK though. I really want to see the Mouth of Sauron in the theater. :woot:

I'm sure they will. From what I remember, most of the designs were already finalized before Del Toro left, seeing as the original plan was to start filming in March/May of last year.

That's comforting because I can't wait to see how Smaug will look like with del toro talking about it and all.

Andy Serkis on BBC Radio

British actor Andy Serkis, who's reprising the role of Gollum for the new Hobbit films, discusses the beginning of shooting in New Zealand.

"It's absolutely amazing," Serkis told BBC Radio 5 live.

"It's been a long time coming," he explained to Phil Williams. "We're all so, so thrilled that it's finally happening."

Luke Evans Cast As Bard The Grim
Single%2BMan%2BUK%2BFilm%2BPremiere%2BOutside%2BArrivals%2B7mL04XVP1A4l.jpg

EXCLUSIVE
: Luke Evans has bagged the role of Bard in The Hobbit, a last major part that Peter Jackson hadn't cast in a production that's underway in New Zealand. Bard the Grim is a skilled archer, and the heir of King Girion of Dale. The king was killed by the talking dragon Smaug. The character plays a greater role in the second film, and is somewhat reminiscent of the action-hero exploits of Viggo Mortensen's Aragorn, I'm told. It seemed evident that the Welsh actor was going to win one of these roles that involve a competition between multiple young thesps. He was a finalist to play the lead in Tony Gilroy's The Bourne Legacy that went to Jeremy Renner, and was a finalist for the role of Tom Buchanan in The Great Gatsby, which went to Joel Edgerton. Evans plays Aramis in the upcoming Three Musketeers, after supporting roles in Immortals, Robin Hood and Clash of the Titans. He's repped by WME and Ruth Young at United Agents in the UK.
That leaves the voice of Smaug as the major casting yet to be revealed. I'd heard early on that it would likely be Bill Nighy, but have heard nothing since then.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/luke-evans-to-play-bard-in-the-hobbit/

You won't read this in the papers but one of the reasons he left was creative differences. It had nothing to do with what was played up in the media.

And this pretty much seals the deal for Cumberbatch as Smaug.

Martin Freeman talks to Benedict Cumberbatch, who is killed by Luke Evans.

:awesome:

Wow, this guy seems to have a lot of talent. Veru saught after. At least his previous finalist woes are healed because of Jackson.

Man, this cast!

And its been leaked: Benedict is playing Smaug via mo-cap.

Might I add he's also providing the voice for the Necromancer? AKA Sauron?..http://dlvr.it/WdlWp

Last edited:
Hobbit news overload...

Too much win to contain...

Heart may explode...

Martin Freeman ... Bilbo
Ian McKellen ... Gandalf
Richard Armitage ... Thorin
Graham McTavish ... Dwalin
Ken Stott ... Balin
Aidan Turner ... Kili
Dean O'Gorman ... Fili
Mark Hadlow ... Dori
Jed Brophy ... Nori
Adam Brown ... Ori
John Callen ... Oin
Peter Hambleton ... Gloin
William Kircher ... Bifur
James Nesbitt ... Bofur
Stephen Hunter ... Bombur
Hugo Weaving ... Elrond
Andy Serkis ... Gollum
Mikael Persbrandt ... Beorn
Lee Pace ... Thranduil
Stephen Fry ... Master of Lake-town
Luke Evans ... Bard
Benedict Cumberbatch ... Smaug / The Necromancer
Christopher Lee ... Saruman
Cate Blanchett ... Galadriel
Sylvester McCoy ... Radagast
Elijah Wood ... Frodo
Ian Holm ... Old Bilbo
Orlando Bloom ... Legolas
Bret McKenzie ... Lindir
Jeffrey Thomas ... Thror
Michael Mizrahi ... Thrain
Ryan Gage ... Alfrid
Conan Stevens ... Azog

Great choices, can't wait to get the EE's on blu in a few weeks. For sure I will have a marathon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"