Official TV Spots Thread - Part 1

Why not? I am a big fan of Ledger's performance, but am open to new great villain performances.

Who said I wasn't open to new great villain performances? I merely said the footage hasn't been as good as the Ledger footage we got before TDK came out. That's an apples to apples comparison too. Pre-release footage.

No harm meant. It would be almost impossible to equal or even better Ledger's performance, but I "sense" Shannon's will be close.

No harm meant. It would be almost impossible to equal or even better Ledger's performance, but I "sense" Shannon's will be close.

I sense it might be better than a lot of the other villain performances in the genre. But Ledger was on another level. Even before the guy died, the main trailer for the film was almost all footage of him. That's ridiculous for a supporting character. They knew what they had was off the charts special.

100% agree. It was as if he were born to play the part.

I wonder what they will show on Leno tonight....

Some quick screen play from Henry, most likey the Lois-Sups convo we already seen, nothing good is every shown on Leno, trust me, been recording The Tonight Show for over 10 years.

I'd be shocked if the showed any action what-so-ever.

The footage I've seen looks like a very good performance, but not in Ledger territory.

I'd say its about the same as when the Dark Knight trailers came out, people thought he'd be good (after finally seeing a little bit of what he brought to the character) but was blown away after seeing the actual movie, hopefully its the same here :)

I'd say its about the same as when the Dark Knight trailers came out, people thought he'd be good (after finally seeing a little bit of what he brought to the character) but was blown away after seeing the actual movie, hopefully its the same here :)

I don't know if you were on the forums here or not, but there was euphoria in December 2007 when the 2nd trailer was released. Not "he'll be good," but "he looks phenomenal" type responses. That was a complete 180 from all the mocking that went on when he was cast.

Not trying to assist in derailing the thread lol, but in my opinion, Ledger's Joker is one of the best performances of all-time. I'm talking the likes of Thornton in Sling Blade and Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump. I'm a HUGE fan of Michael Shannon, his Zod is going to be great...but nowhere near Ledger's Joker, in my opinion.

Just saw an awesome Belk commercial where a kid is wearing a blue outfit with red cape and he is pretending to flying through the house into his parents bedroom and then in his dad's office at work and then outside on some steps somewhere while his parents are sitting next to him and then the kid is back home waiting on his dad to come home and he's standing on the porch in his dads suit jacket and red cape tied around his neck. The Dad is coming down the walkway loosening his tie and the kid is smiling. The dad leans down and pulls open his shirt like the classic shirt rip to reveal a blue shirt with a red Superman logo on it....the kid's face lights up like a Christmas tree!!

EDIT: FOUND IT!
[YT]4EJK0H2vZlE[/YT]

I don't know if you were on the forums here or not, but there was euphoria in December 2007 when the 2nd trailer was released. Not "he'll be good," but "he looks phenomenal" type responses. That was a complete 180 from all the mocking that went on when he was cast.

Yes. This. Bare in mind as well, it was BEFORE his death...so there's none of that nasty "people only like it because he's dead" crap. When that December trailer hit (it remains to me one of the best trailers put out for a film) people were already talking Oscar, which is a huge deal considering the genre the film was in.

Yes. This. Bare in mind as well, it was BEFORE his death...so there's none of that nasty "people only like it because he's dead" crap. When that December trailer hit (it remains to me one of the best trailers put out for a film) people were already talking Oscar, which is a huge deal considering the genre the film was in.

That trailer ended all discussion of what is the most iconic superhero villain. IGN rated Magneto ahead of the Joker, but Magneto couldn't carry 90% of a movie trailer by himself and actually cause a ton of hype in the general audience. If a well-done Superman is the King Daddy (Snyder's phrase) for superhero characters, a well-done Joker is the King Daddy of superhero villains.

I wasn't very active here back then, but I do remember alot of hate towards him when he was originally cast, then a few set pix leaked and some people started to warm up to him, then the first 2 teasers, second one where we could actually see him really changed peoples minds.

Shannon has had a similar reaction, initially alot of people were disappointed/unsure when he was originally cast (I was one of those people lol), then we got a few shots of him on set, heard a few rumors on the tone, and then of course alot of his other films came out that really showed people what he could do.

I honestly do hope he surpasses Ledgers performance simply because that will ultimately help comic book movies in general get a certain.....creditability, you know, people will take them more seriously :)

I honestly do hope he surpasses Ledgers performance simply because that will ultimately help comic book movies in general get a certain.....creditability, you know, people will take them more seriously :)

I don't think that's going to happen in a CGI-fest like Man of Steel. Fans want to have their cake and eat it too. They want the full blown goofy comic book visuals and action mixed with "respect" from the rest of the movie industry. I'm just glad serious actors are even willing to do the roles. That's good enough for me.

That trailer ended all discussion of what is the most iconic superhero villain. IGN rated Magneto ahead of the Joker, but Magneto couldn't carry 90% of a movie trailer by himself and actually cause a ton of hype in the general audience. If a well-done Superman is the King Daddy (Snyder's phrase) for superhero characters, a well-done Joker is the King Daddy of superhero villains.

I don't know if I've seen a truer post on these boards. :up:

Man of Steel logo front and center during the NBA Finals postgame. We'll see a few tv spots during SportsCenter.

Shannon doesn't top Ledgers performance. His character isn't as diverse as The Joker. His role is exceptional for MoS though. I remember the initial reviews of TDK. Everyone was saying Ledger's Joker was the real deal/Oscar worthy. And when I saw it, I was in complete agreement. If he had a little bit more screen time, he would have one best actor IMO.

Yep. No-one will ever be as maniacal and perhaps downright creepy as a supehero villain as the Joker, especially a more realistic take. But I think Darkseid would be the second best DCU villain, with a proper Luthor in third place :)

Yep. No-one will ever be as maniacal and perhaps downright creepy as a supehero villain as the Joker, especially a more realistic take. But I think Darkseid would be the second best DCU villain, with a proper Luthor in third place :)

Batman always had the cooler villains so it's hard to argue with that. MoS 2 can definitely change that in a movie aspect if they were to go with a creepy alien Brainiac. Darkseid could be downright scary on film. Imagine that super fight...

Has anyone seen this? It's a fan made trailer consisting of released footage made to resemble the Comic-Con trailer. It comes pretty close though.
[YT]iZSoa6aXXgQ[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"