Comics Official ULTIMATE X-MEN Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sun_Down said:
It's not you. This book has turned into a WB-like teenage soap opera.

Seriously...what the bad place is up with Spider-man dating Kitty?

Colossal Spoons said:
I'm still on the fence as to whether I even wanna start reading USM. I've had them all for a long time but not hearing good things.

You can't go wrong with the Venom arc and the Warriors arc.

Matt said:
Really? I just read Magnetic North and I absolutely despised it.

*shrugs* I liked it. Unless something is slipping my memory, I liked everything Vaughan did in his run. That said, I dropped the book following Date Night's last issue. I'm pretty sure I gave it one full arc, else I gave it two issues.

I loved Millar, and I loved Vaughan. Hate Kirkman.

El Bastardo said:
*shrugs* I liked it. Unless something is slipping my memory, I liked everything Vaughan did in his run. That said, I dropped the book following Date Night's last issue. I'm pretty sure I gave it one full arc, else I gave it two issues.

I loved Millar, and I loved Vaughan. Hate Kirkman.

I dunno, I guess it just bothered me how much of a teen angst story it is.

I thought Magnetic North was the best Magneto story in Ultimate X-men by far. Miller's 2-dimensional ranter grated quite a bit.

Matt said:
Seriously...what the bad place is up with Spider-man dating Kitty?

Hm... I like it... and most Spiderman fans were happy too. :confused:

Its a refreshing change.

And yea, theres some element of teen drama in the books. Always have been in the X-men comics (except when it became really grim and boring for a few years in the 90s). Ever read X-men #1?

I'm still liking Ultimate X-Men.

Though it does seem like Marvel has kinda put the brakes on the Ultimate Universe.

I think it is due to the fact that the 616 Univers is in rough shape and they are trying to sort that out.

Luckily though, big events are starting to happen again in the Ultimate Universe. The Clone Saga in USM will be the biggest/coolest/most important arc in USM since...Ultimate Carnage atleast.:)

As for Ultimate X-Men, I'm not sure since I don't read the comics of this. Just the TPB. However, this book seems to be coasting along not doing anything BIG and that seems to be the problem.

was the end of magnetic north really that great? i can't find #65 anywhere. not even in tpb.

Sub-Zero said:
was the end of magnetic north really that great? i can't find #65 anywhere. not even in tpb.

Magnetic North was collect from #61-#65, and yes they have a trade, I have it, plus the issues. And the end left things open for any new writer. "Time for something new."

PWN3R RANGER said:
Magnetic North was collect from #61-#65, and yes they have a trade, I have it, plus the issues. And the end left things open for any new writer. "Time for something new."

yeah i have issues 1-64 and the annual. but the only one i couldn't find was 65. and i know it came out in tpb but they are sold out of it at every bookstore and comics shop in my town. sounds like a cool last line though.

Sub-Zero said:
yeah i have issues 1-64 and the annual. but the only one i couldn't find was 65. and i know it came out in tpb but they are sold out of it at every bookstore and comics shop in my town. sounds like a cool last line though.

He escapes with Longshot(freakin cool escape involving Mystique) and Longshot asks, what are they going to do next, kill all the humans or something like that, and Magneto says, "Time for something new."

Two words. Ultimate Sugarman! :eek: ;) :p

I kid...

lol. sugarman was so weird. have you ever played x-men legends II? sugarman's a boss and has the worst voice ever.

Sub-Zero said:
lol. sugarman was so weird. have you ever played x-men legends II? sugarman's a boss and has the worst voice ever.

he was kinda hard to beat. :o

not sure if its been discussed, but who was jean talking to at the end of blockbuster?

FieryBalrog said:
nope, and no Morlocks so far either, although there have been stories involving less "flashy" mutants who derided the X-men for being celebrities, although those mutants ended up at Emma Frost's school.
Thanx...I really like the idea of the Ultimate line. I just ordered some more TPBs off Amazon...but you guys have me worried about where the book will end up. I just got done reading the hardcover of volume 2, with the Hellfire Club and Phoenix.

Magnetic North was pretty good. Then it sort of went downhill in the next arcs.

It has only been ONE ARC since Magnetic North, one complete arc, Phoenix? isn't over yet. Geez you people act like its been bad arc after arc. :rolleyes:

Yeah, and while Date Night wasn't so great, the Phoenix? one hasn't been all that bad so far--I'm enjoying the take on Jean/Phoenix, especially in light of the lackluster one in X3. I'm not too sure how much I like "The Magician" though...he's a bit annoying. Plus, and I know my X-Men history pretty well, is he actually an original character that never appeared in 616?

Question about Ultimate Psylocke - I was reading her bio online and unintentionally spoiled her return for myself since I'm only 24 issues into the run. I read her Ultimate debut, when she was introduced and "killed." In her bio, it says she survived because she went into the mind of a comatose Asian woman...wasn't Ultimate Psylocke introduced as an Asian woman to begin with? Bachalo drew her like she was...I thought about how Betsy and Kwannon could both be Asian to begin with, but it didn't make sense that the bio highlighted that she took over an Asian body if she was Asian already. It probably would've been better, in contrast to "real" continuity, that Psylocke started out as Asian Kwannon and then took over the English comatose Betsy.

All this Magnetic North talk--I went back and read it, man I am really missing Immonen on this book. :(

is this title anygood? i looked at the roster and i was interested in the characters. when would be a good time to start picking up the title?

MattXG said:
I'm still liking Ultimate X-Men.

Though it does seem like Marvel has kinda put the brakes on the Ultimate Universe.

I think it is due to the fact that the 616 Univers is in rough shape and they are trying to sort that out.

Luckily though, big events are starting to happen again in the Ultimate Universe. The Clone Saga in USM will be the biggest/coolest/most important arc in USM since...Ultimate Carnage atleast.:)

As for Ultimate X-Men, I'm not sure since I don't read the comics of this. Just the TPB. However, this book seems to be coasting along not doing anything BIG and that seems to be the problem.

How is 616 in rough shape?Please explain,because I can name you at least 6 titles which are firing on all cylinders and at least another 5 which are just as good that I don't even read.

Xplicit Content said:
Question about Ultimate Psylocke - I was reading her bio online and unintentionally spoiled her return for myself since I'm only 24 issues into the run. I read her Ultimate debut, when she was introduced and "killed." In her bio, it says she survived because she went into the mind of a comatose Asian woman...wasn't Ultimate Psylocke introduced as an Asian woman to begin with? Bachalo drew her like she was...I thought about how Betsy and Kwannon could both be Asian to begin with, but it didn't make sense that the bio highlighted that she took over an Asian body if she was Asian already. It probably would've been better, in contrast to "real" continuity, that Psylocke started out as Asian Kwannon and then took over the English comatose Betsy.

Just chalk it up to the fact that it was Bachalo drawing. =P

El Bastardo said:
Just chalk it up to the fact that it was Bachalo drawing. =P

Haha precisely.

Yeah, if I recall she definitely didn't start out Asian, but bad art can do wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"