OK...its time.....Man of Steel vs Superman Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Superman Returns" for me. Even when it's not a reboot.

With all its problems at least was about Superman movie more than a Kryptonian invasion movie and at least it got the Clark/Lois/Superman dynamic that is essential for the character. MoS was fantastic at many things but it deprived Superman from being perceived as the outstanding being in a normal world, which you need before throwing more Kryptonians around.

Better reboot? this one. Better movie? Hard for me to say. Like what Showtime quoted the other day, what Returns got wrong MOS got right. and what MOS got wrong Returns got right. It's like there was never an option for a happy medium. But I think as far as rewatchability goes I'll gladly put Returns on over this one at home.

I say they are both equal in my eyes because you're looking at two different movies and two different Supermen.

Yeah they are definitely two different movies. If they were both origin stories then maybe I could better compare them.

That said, on a character level (the common denominator), I think MOS wins.

Better reboot? this one. Better movie? Hard for me to say. Like what Showtime quoted the other day, what Returns got wrong MOS got right. and what MOS got wrong Returns got right. It's like there was never an option for a happy medium. But I think as far as rewatchability goes I'll gladly put Returns on over this one at home.

This X100. Totally agree. It was like they tried so hard to distance themselves from SR that they left out a lot of solid character and story beats.

Comparing Superman Returns to Man of Steel is wrong (IMO.)

As SR is not an origin movie or a reboot, Compare Superman The Movie to MOS.

Or,

1. STM+Superman 2 Vs MOS (as first one is an origin movie which continues into second movie with Zod as a villain, both movies were shot back to back.)

Or,

2. STM+SR VS MOS (As Singer intended SR to be a folllow-up to STM.)

Superman Returns had a boring story and subpar action.
Man of Steel has a decent story with minor overlookable flaws and superior Comicbook level Superman action.

Man of Steel by light years.

Three sentimental scenes in Returns that for me can't touch anything in this one:

- Supes explaining to Lois how he hears everyone

- Supes saying goodbye to Lois then flying up towards the sun

- Supes giving the 'father/son' speech to the kid (and I HATED the inclusion of the kid)

But by the same token, aside from Supes flying through Metropolis when it was breaking apart and trying to save whatever people he could there was no action worth even mentioning. And Kate Bosworth can suck the life out of scenery. I literally fast forward through 60% of the movie.

Last edited:
Superman Returns is a reintroduction of the character to moden day audience, not technically an origin but they pretty much explained a lot...Krypton, kryptonite, growing up on a farm, being alone....it was a sequel/reboot. If you all want to play semantic games...that's fine.

Man of Steel..by a midge...better action/story...characterization bit better, but not great. I don't think calling this MOS Begins as an excuse for not showing a more compassionate Superman....that doesn't cut it.

I agree SR had the rescue scenes directed better than MOS. SR's interaction with the public was much better than MOS.
MOS action was good, but even I was laughing at absurdity when the fight went quickly from Metropolis into outerspace hitting up against a satellite...I was like "really Snyder?" Yet, a potential MOS sequel had more potential than a SR sequel where you had to deal with a kid and Superman wooing Lois away from James Marden who stuck around for 5 years.

MOS wins on plot points, action, better explanation of what was going on (even if I didn't like what I was seeing at times).

Last edited:
MOS: more compelling character arc for the hero, more compelling villain, better use of special effects, more charismatic actors in most roles, modern Bronze-Age approach to the mythos, and no troubling implications from a malformed Superman-As-a-deadbeat-dad-and-love-em-and-leave-em character interpretation since we got a more human, Midwestern man's man character.

SR's okay, but it's got nothing on this solid reboot.

I thought both were bad but for their own distinct reasons.

This is tough. I'm not sure if I have a concrete answer yet. I will say this though, I was more disappointed by MOS purely based on the expectations I had for it. When I saw the trailers for Returns, I had a vague idea what that movie was going to be. Once I saw that it was a sequel/homage to the original films and not an original story, I grew a little detached. I was excited, but it wasn't what I wanted at the time. But MOS was being marketed as the Superman movie I've always wanted and never in a million years could I have imagined how bad it was going to turn out.

For those reasons alone, I think I have to give the nod to Returns. And I never, EVER thought those words would come out of my mouth. It almost makes me want to throw up.

I hope I am around in 35 years when the same question is asked of a new Superman film versus MOS .

Solar Recharge scene in SR was very good.

Nothing to compare here... MOS by a mile... Henry is my Superman after seeing this movie...

But by the same token, aside from Supes flying through Metropolis when it was breaking apart and trying to save whatever people he could there was no action worth even mentioning. And Kate Bosworth can suck the life out of scenery. I literally fast forward through 60% of the movie.

THe plane rescue is still awesome.

THe plane rescue is still awesome.

You know to be honest, that was my favorite part of the movie for years. so much so that I watched it over and over and over. For some reason I just don't like it anymore. I didn't even remember it until you mentioned it and I JUST watche Returns again on Friday. Might have just overdone it and gotten desensitized. That's never happened to me with a specific scene in a movie before. Not sure how normal that is for people who rewatch the same stuff a lot

Three sentimental scenes in Returns that for me can't touch anything in this one:

- Supes explaining to Lois how he hears everyone

- Supes saying goodbye to Lois then flying up towards the sun

- Supes giving the 'father/son' speech to the kid (and I HATED the inclusion of the kid)

Agree with the bolded part and the plane rescue scene still rocks as compared to recuse of Lois from damaged kryptonian pod in MOS.

Also, compare Routh's Superman throwing a Kryptinite Island into space Vs cavill's Superman [BLACKOUT]killing Zod[/BLACKOUT]

"Superman Returns" for me. Even when it's not a reboot.

With all its problems at least was about Superman movie more than a Kryptonian invasion movie and at least it got the Clark/Lois/Superman dynamic that is essential for the character. MoS was fantastic at many things but it deprived Superman from being perceived as the outstanding being in a normal world, which you need before throwing more Kryptonians around.

That's what a sequel is for.. MOS sequel will focus on Superman secret identity to the world, his relationship with Lois, his struggle with the villian (Lex) + a superman villain, and what most people would want is his charm. He has already accepted his Destiny as Superman in MOS and can focus on saving lives and not having to hide anymore. I have a gut feeling the sequel can be as good or better than TDK script with an evil billionaire Luther who help build Metropolis back from the damage left by Superman and Zod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"