OLD Green Lantern HBO Max Series Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless the show is cancelled prematurely, there's time for that. If he's there from the start as just part of the group, then he can't be made into anything like the spirit of the Torchbearer.

But if we're jumping into a series with 4 Earth Lanterns then we're likely past the point of Kyle being anything special. His story could hold a series itself with starting off with the fall of the GLs and using Kyle as our eyes into rebuilding that but it looks like we'll be jumping way past all that.

But if we're jumping into a series with 4 Earth Lanterns then we're likely past the point of Kyle being anything special. His story could hold a series itself with starting off with the fall of the GLs and using Kyle as our eyes into rebuilding that but it looks like we'll be jumping way past all that.

It doesn't have to be. There's no timeline precedent since the show is using 4 titular Lanterns from wildly different eras. However, there could still be some type of Emerald Twilight event where the Corps is decimated and it ushers in Kyle as a new character.

No mention of Hal, John, and Kyle. Safe to say the three are in the GL movie?
Alan Scott and Guy Gardner in the series then. The three others, sort of the "big-3", to appear in a film.

I don't know how much freedom the writers can take with the series. Alan isn't originally connected to the corps, his ring was magical instead.
Just look at his outfit. It isn't a typical GL uniform at all.
Can they somehow make Alan the first Lantern ever? Explaining that his use of the ring caused a rift through space and time, and that's how the corps was formed eons ago. He changed the past with his magic.

I must admit this idea sounds really, really "out there".
I think it's more likely they re-write him as a member of the corps instead. And give him a new suit.

Guggenheim scares me, really would have preferred he was nowhere near this.

He'll probably bring in a lot of original Lanterns and focus on them since he doesnt like being held to comic personalities/stories.

He'll probably bring in a lot of original Lanterns and focus on them since he doesnt like being held to comic personalities/stories.
I don't get how Guggenheim and Berlanti are involved - I know the At&T umbrella is complicated but do these guys have something in their contracts that allows them to work on any DC Content?

Because I don't get why they'd hand the keys to the kingdom so to speak to the Arrowverse guys.

Guggenheim is bad even by Arrowverse standards, so yeah, there’s reason to be scared. I guess I’m just hoping Seth Grahame-Smith has more control here at this point.

I don't get how Guggenheim and Berlanti are involved - I know the At&T umbrella is complicated but do these guys have something in their contracts that allows them to work on any DC Content?

Because I don't get why they'd hand the keys to the kingdom so to speak to the Arrowverse guys.

Because WB is lazy? They handed Snyder their DC Movie verse right off the bat and they think that Berlanti understands these characters like no one else so they just keep giving him everything.

I can understand Berlanti, in the grand scheme of things the Arrowverse has been a success for the CW and Berlanti is largely responsible for that, I can see him adapting to HBO pretty well. Guggenheim's involvement however baffles me, the man represents almost everything wrong with the Arrowverse, he's behind all the flaws in the crossovers, the weak main villains in Arrow season 3 and 4, and for Olicity, the single worst f***ing thing to happen to any of the DCCW shows, and that includes casting Ruby Rose in Batwoman, how the f*** is he being let anywhere near an HBO level show?

I can understand Berlanti, in the grand scheme of things the Arrowverse has been a success for the CW and Berlanti is largely responsible for that, I can see him adapting to HBO pretty well. Guggenheim's involvement however baffles me, the man represents almost everything wrong with the Arrowverse, he's behind all the flaws in the crossovers, the weak main villains in Arrow season 3 and 4, and for Olicity, the single worst f***ing thing to happen to any of the DCCW shows, and that includes casting Ruby Rose in Batwoman, how the f*** is he being let anywhere near an HBO level show?

Just as Berlanti is largely responsible for the success of the Arrowverse, MG spearheaded Arrow which was the #1-#3 highest rated show on the network for 8 seasons. The two bring nothing to superheroes imo but they keep things cheap.

I like Alan and Guy, but it annoys me that Hal, John and Kyle are being kept out of this so they can star in a movie we might never get. I'm also worried that this sounds like another case of "Gee, we have about 1,000 canonical characters to center this story on, but we decided to create an ALL NEW ONE who is SO much better!" (I'll refer to this new character as Chase Meridian Cole Turner Rachel Dawes until we have confirmation).

I still have hope, and damn near anything would be better than the Ryan Reynolds movie, but I just don't know what to think at this point.

Guy does make a good 80s character but.....how old is Hal in this then? In his 50s/60s present day?

Yeah, if they are sticking to canon with Hal, Guy and John all coming up at the same time, then they'd all be fairly old. Of course, I guess they could write something in there about the rings slowing down aging if they wanted to. I think they did something like that in the comics because Alan was still young when he teamed up with other GLs during Zero Hour.

So they're telling the story from two different time periods? That's cool, so long as the writers remember that what happens in the 1940's must lead into the 1080's. The more seasons this gets, the (potentially) trickier that becomes to do.

I'll be honest, while Guy seems perfectly suited to the 80's, I don't like the sound of that angle at all. Like Primal says, it either makes Hal a senior citizen in present day or pretends he never existed, and I'm not really on board with either of those scenarios.

Maybe my theory can be right after all.

When Alan Scott had the ring back in the 1940s, the corps didn't exist.
Then somehow, by bending space and time, the past was changed.
In the new reality, the corps was formed eons ago.
And it has something to do with Alan's magical ring. The whole idea with the corps and their rings, is based on him.

In the series, we can maybe see two realities. Characters will be able to travel between them

Fake news

WM said this was gonna be "fun" and aimed at "younger audiences"

younger as in titans younger I suppose?

Series sounds a lot complicated. multiple timelines, multiple characters in a like 8-10 episode series.Guggengeim using Dominators again but more mature take I suppose. Good idea to start off more grounded for budget reasons instead of having another corps as enemies.
Wish Kyle was in there instead of guy. I assume movie will be Hal and John.

Green Lantern TV Series: New Character Descriptions, Story Direction, and Start Date: Exclusive - The Illuminerdi

Guy Gardner: White Male, 30’s. A hulking mass of masculinity, as rendered in the comics. Guy is a personification of the hyper-patriotism found in the 1980’s that birthed Hulk Hogan and Rambo. However, Guy is still likable. He might act foolish, but he is not a fool. Guy loves his daughter and wife with all of his hard-partying, fast driving, hot tempered heart. But like many alpha males, there is a deep undercurrent of pain driving it all.

Bree Jarta: Black, Female, 30’s. Few Lanterns take their commitment to the Corps and it’s purpose more seriously than Bree. Bree is half-human and it’s the half she’s worked hard to forget. Bree has an alien mother and a human father. However, she was raised on a more enlightened planet with an advanced society. Bree outworked her peers and earner her Ring only to find herself partnered with Guy Gardner.

Alan Scott: White Male, 28 years old. From the outside, Alan is the model of early 1940’s. The image of a G-Man. Alan is handsome, clean-shaven and well dressed without a hair out of place. He has spent his young life trying to personify truth, justice, and the American Way. He is already a household name in L.A. and is seen as hero thanks to positive press coverage. However, for all of Alan’s honesty, there is one huge lie that follows him. He is a gay man. A fact that, in his era, could cost him his job, or even his life.

Does Bree REALLY need to be half human though? We're already going to have so many central lanterns in this show that are Earth humans. Just let her be a humanoid alien.

I wonder if there will be a central storyline between these two timelines and if their storylines will conclude at the end of the season and we'll just move onto new characters for a 2nd season.

I wonder if there will be a central storyline between these two timelines and if their storylines will conclude at the end of the season and we'll just move onto new characters for a 2nd season.
It could be that when Alan Scott first became a superhero in the 40s, there wasn't any Green Lantern Corps. It never started, it simply doesn't exist.
Alan's ring was the only one in existence.

But through warping of spacetime, the universe re-starts. A new reality is created. Here, the corps have been around for thousands of years.
The original timeline with Alan still exists though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"