One More Day Discussion Thread

Do you have reading comprehension problems? Quesada pretty clearly said that what OMD did was alter pieces of Spidey's history, as opposed to completely restarting it. I know you have some kind of pathetic hatred towards Quesada and everything he says, but I'd take his explanation (you know, ACTUAL REASON) over the unsupported rantings of a disgruntled fanboy.
The point is that we're now stuck without any sort of understanding of how those pieces of Spider-Man's history have been altered, so who's to say that Joe Q's view of "selective alteration" isn't tantamount to the exact same thing as a blank slate for his continuity? A writer ****ed up some detail? Nah, that's just the new continuity after the fallout of One More Day. It's the very same thing DC fans have had to contend with--and have often railed against--for decades now, and it's something Joe Q promised would never happen at Marvel. Yeah, remember when he flat-out said that there would be no magical reset button for the unmasking? Whoops, never mind. Or how about the time Mark Millar, one of Joe Q's top writers, opened the floor for people to guess at his next project and said "no" when someone guessed Fantastic Four? Wait a sec, turns out it was Fantastic Four. With a record like that, it's not surprising that people are more than a little suspicious of anything the people behind the scenes at Marvel have to say at this point. They've already set a bad precedent of outright lying to their paying customers.
in the movie they used mephesto too
Movies don't count for ****.

Do you have reading comprehension problems? Quesada pretty clearly said that what OMD did was alter pieces of Spidey's history, as opposed to completely restarting it. I know you have some kind of pathetic hatred towards Quesada and everything he says, but I'd take his explanation (you know, ACTUAL REASON) over the unsupported rantings of a disgruntled fanboy.

It's fairly obvious who has a comprehension problem. (HINT: You)

The fact that he blatantly LIES is the problem I have with him. To whit: "There's not some giant reset button we're gonna press in a year" regarding the unmasking.

You're continual quoting of him either makes you an easily deluded fool or him. Either one is pathetic.

It's fairly obvious who has a comprehension problem. (HINT: You)

The fact that he blatantly LIES is the problem I have with him. To whit: "There's not some giant reset button we're gonna press in a year" regarding the unmasking.

You're continual quoting of him either makes you an easily deluded fool or him. Either one is pathetic.

:hehe: Agreed!

He was quoted in as little as 3 months ago saying that Spidey's unmasking wasn't going to be magically reset but low and behold here we are. If Spidey's sales some how dip(which sadly I doubt), watch how quickly Loki's favor that he owes Spidey comes back into play. :o

One can only hope. Thanks for agreeing too, Docker... I've had a really terrible day at work.

:hehe: Agreed!

He was quoted in as little as 3 months ago saying that Spidey's unmasking wasn't going to be magically reset but low and behold here we are. If Spidey's sales some how dip(which sadly I doubt), watch how quickly Loki's favor that he owes Spidey comes back into play. :o

That's probably already received the retcon punch :p

Yeah, if Mary Jane didn't talk to Peter that day, he wouldn't have helped Loki. Or I'm sure it can be twisted around somehow to work that way if the writers or Joe Q really want it to.

If sales dip, Joe Q will have no other choice. Dude does have tunnel vision but one comic that Marvel won't ever cancel is Spiderman.ANd Q does have bosses that he has to answer to so if they tell him he has to do something, he has to do it. I'm just glad JMS doesn't really agree with all this, but is being "forced" per say. He's a great writer. But if there is one guy that I want to have Spidey it's Dan Slotts. It' kind of a catch 22. I want to boycott this book..............but it's freakin Dan Slotts! WTF! I can't! :cmad: :csad:

heh... Yes in keeping with my own boycott since Sins Past, my wife got me a Spidey subscription when she knew JMS was leaving. The first issue of that subscription was 545. :( Having 2nd and 3rd thoughts now, but Slott and Co. have 11 issues to turn me around.

And WB is run by idiots.

so, superboy prime punching walls or mephesto?

The SBP wall punch still wins for stupidest means of retconning ever. Mephisto is, after all, a major magical powerhouse, and major magical powerhouses have been known to rewrite reality from time to time. Not so surprising that he's capable of it here. But Superboy Prime punching a physical wall of reality? I'm all for metaphor, but that was a bit much.

The SBP wall punch still wins for stupidest means of retconning ever. Mephisto is, after all, a major magical powerhouse, and major magical powerhouses have been known to rewrite reality from time to time. Not so surprising that he's capable of it here. But Superboy Prime punching a physical wall of reality? I'm all for metaphor, but that was a bit much.

I don't know corp. I mean if mephisto can retcon history at the drop of the hat should the dude have been able to you know beat all the heroes at this point? I think its really a tie between the two of these for the most idiotic retconning ever.

doesnt marvel learn...Mark my words this is how Marvel's crisis is going to start...
Peter and the Wasp are relaxing by the Avengers pool.
Peter:"So how are you and Hank doing?
Wasp:"It's hell...you know what its like being a married superhero...."
Something in Peter's mind snaps.....

The assembled might of the Marvel Universe gathers around Dr. Strange and the fallen body of Peter Parker....
Strange:"There is no totem spider powers...Peter was using powers that werent his.

House of X
Peter:"No more spiders."
Overnite the fly population doubles

I really think if they wanted to retcon this, they should have used Kang and he does it accidently. Like Spidey tries to stop him and Kang does something where Spidey has to leave NYC for a year or so. Then he comes back MJ has already become a big name actress. Something to that degree but how many guys here predicted Loki or Mephisto was the cuase of the retcon before we even knew it was Mephisto. Every one was saying that!

I really think if they wanted to retcon this, they should have used Kang and he does it accidently. Like Spidey tries to stop him and Kang does something where Spidey has to leave NYC for a year or so. Then he comes back MJ has already become a big name actress. Something to that degree but how many guys here predicted Loki or Mephisto was the cuase of the retcon before we even knew it was Mephisto. Every one was saying that!

No I think that if they wanted to get rid of the marriage then it should have moved the characters forward instead of rewinding us back to the 80's-90's.

i'll take punches against the timestream as a opposed to heroes making deals with the devil...

I don't know corp. I mean if mephisto can retcon history at the drop of the hat should the dude have been able to you know beat all the heroes at this point? I think its really a tie between the two of these for the most idiotic retconning ever.
Would it give you satisfaction to crush a plastic Bishop in a Chess game against your opponent?

I can defeat maim or kill those "heroes" any time I feel like it. They are just pawns in the game I play. MY adversary is beyond their knowing. My goals beyond their grasp.

Would it give you satisfaction to crush a plastic Bishop in a Chess game against your opponent?

I can defeat maim or kill those "heroes" any time I feel like it. They are just pawns in the game I play. MY adversary is beyond their knowing. My goals beyond their grasp.

Funny you've got all that power and you couldn't get a decent actor to portray you in the movie. :hehe:

The point is that we're now stuck without any sort of understanding of how those pieces of Spider-Man's history have been altered, so who's to say that Joe Q's view of "selective alteration" isn't tantamount to the exact same thing as a blank slate for his continuity? A writer ****ed up some detail? Nah, that's just the new continuity after the fallout of One More Day. It's the very same thing DC fans have had to contend with--and have often railed against--for decades now, and it's something Joe Q promised would never happen at Marvel. Yeah, remember when he flat-out said that there would be no magical reset button for the unmasking? Whoops, never mind. Or how about the time Mark Millar, one of Joe Q's top writers, opened the floor for people to guess at his next project and said "no" when someone guessed Fantastic Four? Wait a sec, turns out it was Fantastic Four. With a record like that, it's not surprising that people are more than a little suspicious of anything the people behind the scenes at Marvel have to say at this point. They've already set a bad precedent of outright lying to their paying customers.

Movies don't count for ****.

Quoted for truth.

OMD fails on every level. It was a terrible story, it undid decades of GOOD comics and character growth, and for what? Dan Slott certainly didn't need it to write a great Spidey comic. It merely creates ill will across the board that Slott and the others will pay for (or not, as even COUNTDOWN sells moderately well). These books will be mass ordered by shops regardless of how many copies move off the shelves.

I will say offering the first issue of BND at an extra buck is an extra kick in the nards.

And you are so right, this is the kind of crap DC has become infamous for doing, and Joe Q himself has mocked, acted holier-than-thou for not doing. Well, he's done it. And not to any ol' franchise, but Marvel's equalivant to Batman or Superman (in terms of popularity, not date). A franchise that has been crippled not by a marriage, but by a decade or longer's worth of stories just like OMD; shocks, twists, agendas, people looking to make a name for themselves, anything but people just working with what Spidey is and running with it.

Besides, the marriage was dead by 2000 and could have been phased out in 2001, but Joe folded like a book when the movie was due. Any doubts they'd get re-married if SPIDER-MAN 4 ever becomes a reality? Given BACK IN BLACK and all those Sandman stories, bet on "yes".

Even if you believe that Joe Q is setting up a "re-marriage" within a year, much as the unmasking was undone in that time, then all he has done is prove to the audience that he is willing to lie, outright manipulate to sell comics, or is at best incompetant. None of which help him.

I feel sorry for Slott, I really do. And for myself and everyone else who looked forward to him on Spidey since 2005 or earlier who not has to swallow a bitter pill and feel guilty for buying it. Imagine that, an event so bad that it ruins potentially good comics later. UGH!

JMS and reportedly Peter David didn't care for it, but did that matter? No.

As I said in my rant, if Joe Q was serious about a seperation, he should have gone with a divorce. No cosmic bull****, make it down to earth, make it human, make it relatable. They could always have recoupled (unless you believe that no on on earth has ever divorced and then remarried, and if you do...I have a bridge to sell you). Instead he chose the overblown comic book baloney eraser. To call Joe Q an idiot would insult idiots elsewhere.

My original rant is still here:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=13657254&postcount=151

It is so ****ing unfair. I was looking forward to BND and Slott on ASM. He was almost born for the character. But now...that anticipation is full of mixed feelings, emotions, negative things that shouldn't be. I finally get what I want for Spidey, but like THIS!? In the most horrid set up and reworked status quo as well? How the **** will his other books and characters he met react? Is everything forgotten!? God ****ing damn it!

As BrianWilly might say, "This is so...Bendis." But it isn't Bendis for once, which is the irony. Here I thought the worst event turd to be written this decade would be from him. Now? I can't imagine SECRET INVASION being worse, and I hope to Stan Lee I am not wrong. How can Marvel produce some great books on other franchises, and get it so wrong on others!? I thought matter and anti-matter couldn't co-exist.

Quoted for truth.

OMD fails on every level. It was a terrible story, it undid decades of GOOD comics and character growth, and for what? Dan Slott certainly didn't need it to write a great Spidey comic. It merely creates ill will across the board that Slott and the others will pay for (or not, as even COUNTDOWN sells moderately well). These books will be mass ordered by shops regardless of how many copies move off the shelves.

I will say offering the first issue of BND at an extra buck is an extra kick in the nards.

And you are so right, this is the kind of crap DC has become infamous for doing, and Joe Q himself has mocked, acted holier-than-thou for not doing. Well, he's done it. And not to any ol' franchise, but Marvel's equalivant to Batman or Superman (in terms of popularity, not date). A franchise that has been crippled not by a marriage, but by a decade or longer's worth of stories just like OMD; shocks, twists, agendas, people looking to make a name for themselves, anything but people just working with what Spidey is and running with it.

Besides, the marriage was dead by 2000 and could have been phased out in 2001, but Joe folded like a book when the movie was due. Any doubts they'd get re-married if SPIDER-MAN 4 ever becomes a reality? Given BACK IN BLACK and all those Sandman stories, bet on "yes".

Even if you believe that Joe Q is setting up a "re-marriage" within a year, much as the unmasking was undone in that time, then all he has done is prove to the audience that he is willing to lie, outright manipulate to sell comics, or is at best incompetant. None of which help him.

I feel sorry for Slott, I really do. And for myself and everyone else who looked forward to him on Spidey since 2005 or earlier who not has to swallow a bitter pill and feel guilty for buying it. Imagine that, an event so bad that it ruins potentially good comics later. UGH!

JMS and reportedly Peter David didn't care for it, but did that matter? No.

As I said in my rant, if Joe Q was serious about a seperation, he should have gone with a divorce. No cosmic bull****, make it down to earth, make it human, make it relatable. They could always have recoupled (unless you believe that no on on earth has ever divorced and then remarried, and if you do...I have a bridge to sell you). Instead he chose the overblown comic book baloney eraser. To call Joe Q an idiot would insult idiots elsewhere.

My original rant is still here:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=13657254&postcount=151

DC Comics FTW

DC Comics FTW

How? Many of them are no better.

'Cept for BLUE BEETLE and BOOSTER GOLD.

Books and events like this are why my favorite title these days is INVINCIBLE.

i must re-read this story, but this reeks of "Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind".

they will overcome any memory loss they have because they will always have the slightest hint of remembrance.

also, wasn't Aunt May basically a saint?
who's to say Mephisto's reasoning wasn't the holiness of the marriage, but the pure spirit that was headed for God's Army?

another point: isn't it ironic that Mary Jane, long ago, was a character that people couldn't stand because she was seen as flighty and shallow, yet, at the end of the story she come's off as more devoted to her love than Peter, who now seems to be the flighty and shallow character?

I say we form a rebellion, dethrone Quesada, and reinstate Stan Lee as EIC!

Just to note BW, Whedon pretty much did the same thing with Dawn and Connor.
With Connor, maybe. And even then the only thing that was changed was memories and not actual events. Plus, they addressed this schism later on, explaining the dual memories that exist side-by-side. Most importantly, it didn't suck. Prior events weren't negated; if anything, they've been enriched.
And with Dawn, I challenge anyone to find a single event from seasons one-through-four that would have been significantly altered with the existence of Dawn.

Moreover, Buffy and Angel exist in their own vacuums; they're not an integral part of some broad WB continuity.

And it wasn't just MJ's "ripples" that factor here. What about Harry? What about the unmasking? There's absolutely no way you can explain that one away with altered memories or something. Quesada himself has created a Marvel environment where no secret identities exist. How do you explain away the notion that SHIELD wouldn't simply just go after him right now? If you thought that the SHRA was ridiculously confusing and inconsistent before, just wait until they try to explain this.

Hell, as far as we know Spider-Man is still an active member of the New Avengers, a team that only formed in the first place to counteract the registration act. How does that make sense, now? Do other members of the team just go, "Hey random nameless superhero whose identity was, oddly, never revealed like every other heroes' on the planet. Thanks for being on this team for no discernible reason!"? There's no memory-loss solution in existence that could explain this. Sooner or later, someone would ask the obvious questions.

Unless we're going with some ridiculous Glory-esque plot device where whenever a character thinks of the obvious questions, their thoughts are thwarted by devil magic or something and they just think about something else. In which case a veil of devil magic has just been hung over the entire Marvel universe excusing massive plot holes and unexplainable characterizations. Doctor Strange would immediately notice something like that anyway...oh, wait, unless we're going with the modern Bendis Dr. Strange, who would most definitely not do his job and notice anything like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"