One More Day Discussion Thread

a rabid squirrel chased me out of the woods when I was a kid :dry:

Oh my God, I had gotten so used to the squirrels that I had no idea what any of you were talking about.

At work earlier I was just staring at the avatar for about 5 mins. I got locked in a trance.

This podcast I'm listening to brought up the Flash storyline from a few years back where the Spectre (then Hal Jordan) took the public's knowledge of the Flash's secret identity away. Of course, in that case, it was done really well because all the Spectre did was take everyone's knowledge of his identity away. No one came back from the dead or anything; people just forgot. And then, of course, the JLA got on Wally's ass because they didn't know who he was. The whole thing just flowed really organically and made some ****ing sense, as opposed to OMD.

I love the arc so much when he is just Wally West a mechanic working for the police, no ides he has speed powers or that he ever was the Flash, and he spends all his time chatting to Cold in a cafe too. Then he slowly finds stuff out.

Johns kicked ass on that storyline.

Spectre did more than that though, in Flash #200. He also wiped from the public's memory about the identity of the second Flash and exactly what he died from.

Spectre did more than that though, in Flash #200. He also wiped from the public's memory about the identity of the second Flash and exactly what he died from.
He wiped the public's memory of Barry Allen's identity away, but nobody knowing exactly what he died from is a retcon that goes all the way back to the original Crisis. No one remembered exact details about the original Crisis except for Harbinger, the survivors in "heaven," and, later, Donna Troy until Infinite Crisis. They just remembered a huge battle where many great heroes like Barry were lost. The reason, I think, was that knowing about the Crisis meant knowing about the Multiverse, and that was a no-no until Infinite Crisis hit.

Somewhere along the line, the threat of the Anti-Monitor was remembered. And because Spectre erased what Barry did for the world from public, most likely the world also remembers the Crisis, somewhat.

When was that? Because I still remember people being super-surprised about the existence of a Multiverse in the build-up to Infinite Crisis. You can't apply logic to stuff like people remembering something big from the CoIE time period but not the actual specifics of the Crisis. It doesn't make sense on any level. If you applied logic, Batman and/or the Question and/or the Sandman and/or various others would've realized something's wonky with their memory and rigorously pieced together all the clues to figure out the specifics. The human mind works to solve problems, and those guys are not the type to let something go if things don't add up in their minds.

Flash #200 is the one where Spectre did the memory alteration.

As for when the DCU remembered the Anti-Monitor and its threat, I have no clue. But they do rememer it.

Supposedly, they remember the threat of the Anti-Monitor, but due to the new continuity, they remember only the universe being threatened.

Everyone always remembered the Anti-Monitor, even if they didn't know the details about him. That was always the case. It had nothing to do with the Spectre or Wally or anything like that.

The only gap in memory pertained to the multiverse and the multiverse alone.

Yeah, the memory blueprint doesn't make sense when you examine it in detail. But it's never been an important plot point anyway.

Yeah, I've been talking about the Multiverse. Everyone was surprised when they found out that there were alternate versions of themselves all over the place.

This podcast I'm listening to brought up the Flash storyline from a few years back where the Spectre (then Hal Jordan) took the public's knowledge of the Flash's secret identity away. Of course, in that case, it was done really well because all the Spectre did was take everyone's knowledge of his identity away. No one came back from the dead or anything; people just forgot. And then, of course, the JLA got on Wally's ass because they didn't know who he was. The whole thing just flowed really organically and made some ****ing sense, as opposed to OMD.

Mostly it was good because it was an actual story and not a transparent plot device used to push through a new status quo. As such they were actually able to deal with things like the gaps in people's memories and how Wally's identity as a public superhero had factored into his life and good stuff like that. And then when they were done telling that story, they had everyone get their memories back and then they went on and did whatever else with the character.

Well, not everyone. Johns did have the decency to at least cover the JLA getting their memories of Wally's identity back, though. The act of erasing everyone's memory itself had some really cool repercussions that made sense, too. In spite of its being magic. :o

He covered the Titans, too. Which pretty much covers anyone that Wally would care about. JSA? Pfft, no one cared about them back then. Outsiders? Don't even joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"