One Universe: DC/Marvel RPG Application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another reason that you guys shouldn't allow some tweaks but not others. So there shouldn't be any tweaks at all except how teams formed and who is in said teams. Just sayin'. Been still reading this thread to see what you guys make the final verdict to be.

Making a character grow up in the Xavier school for the gifted that WASN'T a mutant before--thus making them a mutant in this game--IMO is just like the idea making someone else gets a GL ring. Kid Flash for example if he was a mutant instead or something and growing up in the mutant school because you guys maybe wanted to make him a mutant changes things.

EDIT: There are after all more than 1 GL in 1 sector alone so what is wrong with the idea of someone else getting a ring alongside Hal? That's where you guys fall into being a tad hypocritical. Hence is why I think you shouldn't allow any tweaking at all. And just PLAY them as is.

Last edited:
EDIT: There are after all more than 1 GL in 1 sector alone so what is wrong with the idea of someone else getting a ring alongside Hal? That's where you guys fall into being a tad hypocritical. Hence is why I think you shouldn't allow any tweaking at all. And just PLAY them as is.

We didn't say he couldn't get a ring.

We said he couldn't get Abin Sur's ring in place of Hal.

EDIT: As for the X-Men deal, we're only bringing in fairly obscure characters no one would be using as well as characters who's powers and origins were ambiguous and could be attributed to the X-gene. Were not changing someone like the Flash into a mutant.

Last edited:
Tweaks to an origin shouldn't fundamentally change a character.

The biggest change that comes to mind from OU is Dick Grayson. His parents were killed while performing at a party hosted by Oliver Queen that the Hulk rampaged through. But the Hulk killing the Flying Graysons still jives with Dick losing his parents, since Bruce was at the party, he was still able to take Dick in. And Dick's need to prevent this from happening to other children led to him being Robin. Technically, it's a noticeable change in origin, but without actually making the character too different for people to understand.

Tweaks to an origin shouldn't fundamentally change a character.

The biggest change that comes to mind from OU is Dick Grayson. His parents were killed while performing at a party hosted by Oliver Queen that the Hulk rampaged through. But the Hulk killing the Flying Graysons still jives with Dick losing his parents, since Bruce was at the party, he was still able to take Dick in. And Dick's need to prevent this from happening to other children led to him being Robin. Technically, it's a noticeable change in origin, but without actually making the character too different for people to understand.

Exactly.:up:

From the looks of the proposed X-Men roster Byrd gave me and the DC additions to the student body, it seems that the school would be more open to non-mutant characters. (I'm also working on my app with the notion that the school's been open for a while.)

From the looks of the proposed X-Men roster Byrd gave me and the DC additions to the student body, it seems that the school would be more open to non-mutant characters. (I'm also working on my app with the notion that the school's been open for a while.)

The school has been open for a while.

And yes, the school isn't just for mutants.

The school has been open for a while.

And yes, the school isn't just for mutants.

See, byrd told me it was only for mutants still. Because it would change Xavier's dream and what not, etc etc etc. I was told you guys were making DC character's mutants so they could be on the X-Men. Which was what bugged me. But now you are saying the school isn't only to mutants.

Which is it?

See, byrd told me it was only for mutants still. Because it would change Xavier's dream and what not, etc etc etc. I was told you guys were making DC character's mutants so they could be on the X-Men. Which was what bugged me. But now you are saying the school isn't only to mutants.

Which is it?

So will be mutants. Some will be aliens.

Sorry, but saying a character like Black Lightning, which in DC canon was born with his power due to a different gene in his body, isn't a mutant because "DC doesn't use the term mutant" is kind of ridiculous.

I mean seriously, I could imagine the conversation now.

Cyclops: Hey Jefferson. So you're a mutant too?

BL: No.

Cyc: Why not? I mean you have your powers because of this rare genetic enhancement in your body that you've had since birth right?

BL: Well, yea.

Cyc: And there's no other explication for your powers?

BL: No not really.

Cyc: Then why aren't you a mutant?

BL: Because the company that originally created me never used the term.

:whatever:

In OU we had this odd situation where we had mutants and metahumans.

And mutants were hated, like in Marvel, but metas weren't, like DC.

But thing is there are metas in MU and they aren't called mutants. I've had this argument in length with byrd and MB already. So your argument has no weight. :dry:

I wasn't making an argument. Just describing how OU was.

So you're argument has no weight :cmad:

Not really, trusty. I think you're just grasping at straws for some reason to poke holes in people's ideas.

Not every meta is a mutant. That's fine. But to say it's absolutely, positively, impossible for any DC character to be a mutant, and that calling them one, ESPECIALLY when they fall easily into the label (such as Black Lightning), fundamentally changes the character and who they are is pretty ludicrous.

I mean for crying out loud, BL's origin comes from something called the god-damned META-GENE!!!!!!

I wasn't making an argument. Just describing how OU was.

So you're argument has no weight :cmad:

That was to Carnage. Didn't see you replied a minute earlier I had to help a customer in between posting and typing my message. :cwink: :oldrazz:

Not really, trusty. I think you're just grasping at straws for some reason to poke holes in people's ideas.

Not every meta is a mutant. That's fine. But to say it's absolutely, positively, impossible for any DC character to be a mutant, and that calling them one, ESPECIALLY when they fall easily into the label (such as Black Lightning), fundamentally changes the character and who they are is pretty ludicrous.

I mean for crying out loud, BL's origin comes from something called the god-damned META-GENE!!!!!!

It completely changes their upbringing. Now x amount of DC characters are mutants who are hated by the community and are staying in a school because they can't try to live normal lives. Changes the perspective of things. Kind of like how if Superman wasn't raised by the Kents, he COULD be totally different. By your argument, I can make X character a mutant, and make him have a totally different personality giving X character is growing up now being hated and hunted down and there is not a thing you can do about it. Per the rules I'm allowed. So when I stop playing that character, suddenly he isn't the same as a new player might and most likely knew him by.

My theory is all about what you are ALLOWING, not what you are doing. I don't know your plans. But you allow for the issues of the old OU to happen again.

Last edited:
It completely changes their upbringing. Now x amount of DC characters are mutants who are hated by the community and are staying in a school because they can't try to live normal lives. Changes the perspective of things. Kind of like how if Superman wasn't raised by the Kents, he COULD be totally different.

I think you're looking WAY too deep into this. These characters are still going to be themselves. And I think if you relaxed and enjoyed the game, you'd see that.

Saying I'm looking too far into it without a counter argument kinda makes you agree with me but since you don't like that I am right you want to turn this into a different type of argument. :cwink:

Well...

As for my part. Hal Jordan would still be able to be a Green Lantern in the scenario I proposed. I just suggested that in combining the two worlds some things would have to logically happen. If the Sub Mariner and Aquaman both exist then there would have to have been a confrontation by now. Charles Xavier would have detected Black Lightning. Wonder Woman would know or know of Hercules.

...and to my thinking, someone else with more willpower would have been chosen. It's not really altering things as much as the Hulk rampaging through the Graysons. In that scenario Dick's revenge feelings are directly tied into The Hulk. That's a hell of a white whale.

In my scenario, the status quo is kept for the most part. Hal can still be a ring slinger. Emerald Dawn still happens. He just doesn't have the connection to Abin Sur. His dad still got killed in a plane. He still grew up with Carol. He's still trained by Sinestro and Kilowog. All that's happening is that I get Abin Sur and the ring first.

Not that big a stretch considering you're merging two universes.

:hal: :hal: :hal:

Saying I'm looking too far into it without a counter argument kinda makes you agree with me but since you don't like that I am right you want to turn this into a different type of argument. :cwink:

No, you're just a ****ing anal retentive ****wad. Look, you made it damn well known you won't play in the game come hell or highwater. Drop it at that and be done with it. Agree to disagree, okay?

EDIT: I'm being told the ****wad comment may be taken as personal, but it's not meant to be as such. So, it's not personal. But you're still an anal retentive bastard :cmad:

Last edited:
In my scenario, the status quo is kept for the most part. Hal can still be a ring slinger. Emerald Dawn still happens. He just doesn't have the connection to Abin Sur. His dad still got killed in a plane. He still grew up with Carol. He's still trained by Sinestro and Kilowog. All that's happening is that I get Abin Sur and the ring first.

So the thing with Doom would be temporary or what?

No, you're just a ****ing anal retentive ****wad. Look, you made it damn well known you won't play in the game come hell or highwater. Drop it at that and be done with it. Agree to disagree, okay?

EDIT: I'm being told the ****wad comment may be taken as personal, but it's not meant to be as such. So, it's not personal. But you're still an anal retentive bastard :cmad:

The making of this "universe" is still in motion. So long as it is and not all has been made definite, my interest in this game still exists. The game hasn't started nor has it been decided on all the boundaries. I'm not breaking any rules by the hype so there is no harm in me posting. If you guys want to take it emotionally personal that is your problem.

I'm looking at what some of you want to do and thinking "well technically then Franklin Richards should be able to do what he wants". And I don't even like the idea he is proposing but within your boundaries of the game he is allowed.

Call it playing devil's advocate, if you will.

Well...

As for my part. Hal Jordan would still be able to be a Green Lantern in the scenario I proposed. I just suggested that in combining the two worlds some things would have to logically happen. If the Sub Mariner and Aquaman both exist then there would have to have been a confrontation by now. Charles Xavier would have detected Black Lightning. Wonder Woman would know or know of Hercules.

...and to my thinking, someone else with more willpower would have been chosen. It's not really altering things as much as the Hulk rampaging through the Graysons. In that scenario Dick's revenge feelings are directly tied into The Hulk. That's a hell of a white whale.

I'd still say the ring would pick Hal because Doom is a *****e.

Seriously, though. Hal is supposed to have the most will power. That's what made him the greatest Green Lantern, and his fall in Emerald Twilight so tragic. Even if Hal doesn't recognize or always show that level of willpower, the ring always says the candidate has the ability for great will power.

So, while Doom may wear his willpower on his sleeve, it could still be argued that Hal has more willpower, and the ring recognizes that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"