One Universe: DC/Marvel RPG Application

Status
Not open for further replies.
The making of this "universe" is still in motion. So long as it is and not all has been made definite, my interest in this game still exists. The game hasn't started nor has it been decided on all the boundaries. I'm not breaking any rules by the hype so there is no harm in me posting. If you guys want to take it emotionally personal that is your problem.

I'm looking at what some of you want to do and thinking "well technically then Franklin Richards should be able to do what he wants". And I don't even like the idea he is proposing but within your boundaries of the game he is allowed.

Call it playing devil's advocate, if you will.

We're combining universes, right?

Well, that also means combining the populations of those universes.

So we've got Marvel's population of mutant haters, and DC's population of metahuman...um...likers(?)

So why not just have a huge segment of the population hate mutants, and have another huge segment embrace them like they do in DC. To the point where they call them metahumans, rather than the derogatory term mutant (since all humans are mutants). That could set up a lot of potential conflict for the game.

...and suddenly my juices are flowing.

I'd still say the ring would pick Hal because Doom is a *****e.

Seriously, though. Hal is supposed to have the most will power. That's what made him the greatest Green Lantern, and his fall in Emerald Twilight so tragic. Even if Hal doesn't recognize or always show that level of willpower, the ring always says the candidate has the ability for great will power.

So, while Doom may wear his willpower on his sleeve, it could still be argued that Hal has more willpower, and the ring recognizes that.

Not to mention that it leaves the FF high and dry when their greatest enemy is now on the same side as a galactic police officer.

The making of this "universe" is still in motion. So long as it is and not all has been made definite, my interest in this game still exists. The game hasn't started nor has it been decided on all the boundaries. I'm not breaking any rules by the hype so there is no harm in me posting. If you guys want to take it emotionally personal that is your problem.

I'm looking at what some of you want to do and thinking "well technically then Franklin Richards should be able to do what he wants". And I don't even like the idea he is proposing but within your boundaries of the game he is allowed.

Call it playing devil's advocate, if you will.

In full agreement with this.

Micro-managing the direction people might choose to take their characters on their behalf is not a good thing. Whilst well-intentioned in terms of the "What if someone applies and is discouraged by the changes made?" scenario, if people feel they don't have the freedom to try new things that will be equally as discouraging.

I'm not sure how the idea of Doom with a ring would work, but until it's done I'm not going to pass judgement.

Who says that Doom would quit hating Richards? The ring chose Sinestro in the past and present. The Guardians are emotionless and moving towards this Neutrality / Prime Directive philosophy as we speak in the comics. The ring choosing Victor over Hal is not farfetched.

And does anyone here really think that Hal has more willpower than Doom?

DoomWill01SW9.jpg

:hal: :hal: :hal:

Last edited:
Who says that Doom would quit hating Richards? The ring chose Sinestro in the past and present. The Guardians are emotionless and moving towards this Neutrality / Prime Directive philosophy as we speak in the comics. The ring choosing Victor over Hal is not farfetched.

And does anyone here really think that Hal has more willpower than Doom?

It's not that much about logistics, it's about trying to start the RPG off on the best foot. Towards the end of season one, Galactus destroyed Oa and then Hal became a Herald Galactus in the next season and the GL mythos in that game never really recovered.

I just feel making Doom a GL could kill any future interest in the GL mythos.

We're combining universes, right?

Well, that also means combining the populations of those universes.

So we've got Marvel's population of mutant haters, and DC's population of metahuman...um...likers(?)

So why not just have a huge segment of the population hate mutants, and have another huge segment embrace them like they do in DC. To the point where they call them metahumans, rather than the derogatory term mutant (since all humans are mutants). That could set up a lot of potential conflict for the game.

...and suddenly my juices are flowing.

From what I'm understanding you aren't changing a non-mutant character to a suddenly being a mutant, and rather letting the perception of the world "dictate" what is what.

I'm fine with that. As I said in a previous post, I once said to MB and byrd "wouldn't it be easier just to make Xavier's school for all gifted? (not only mutants so that you don't suddenly make some characters mutants)" and MB retorted to being ok with it I recall and byrd being the one saying "no because it changes Xavier's dream/mission-statement".

Though I still see it as being the same. Xavier's dream is for no persecution for people who are not normal in the end of it all.

Why?

Every Lantern ever written is still available.

Because your idea for Doom joining the GLC is perfect to you, someone else will ****ing hate it and not want to touch it or anything GL related with a ten foot pole.

Gotcha.

Get rid of the player you have for the player you don't.

You know what?

Fine.

Go ahead and do your story.

When you inevitably drop out, I'll pick up Doom and clean up your mess.

There.

****ing win/win situation.

Now onto the Doom topic further for me. The idea of Doom getting a ring isn't the issue so long as it isn't Hal's. But the idea of him keeping it longterm is. I only defended the idea of him getting one. Given Doom is a villain and would be doing villainous deeds...the second he does the ring would be taken from him and then that could lead to Doom trying to escalate conflicts with the rest of the GLC.

Doom REMAINING in the GLC logically doesn't fit, but him having it, abusing it and then losing it, and thus becoming somewhat also a villain for the GLC is fitting.

It's Doom, after all. He could have plans for using the GL that are like loopholes to the Book of Oa. But, yea, I agree with the rest that a permanent Doom doesn't make sense. The second he does anything villainous with it in his possession, it would be taken from him.

Last edited:
I better be blown away by the application. Because right now I don't know if I'd approve it.

Messes like Hal becoming Galactus's herald and Galactus destroying Oa basically made the GL Corps non-existent in the last game. Not to mention that I really hate the idea of Sur's ring not going to Hal.

Last edited:
Don't sweat it guys.

Just thought I'd try to have some fun. Seemed like you guys were heavily recruiting and I thought it might be cool. I didn't want to shake things up, I just had a nice idea for a story arc.

Of course Doom wasn't going to keep it. That's how it works with bad guys. But since everyone wanted to jump to the end and suck out every ounce of suspense out of it, I'm not really feelin' it like I was.

Oh and Byrd. Don't worry. You won't have to cover for me when I inevitably drop out. I'll just save ya some trouble.

Sorry for all the **** I stirred up.

:doom: :doom: :doom:

Don't sweat it guys.

Just thought I'd try to have some fun. Seemed like you guys were heavily recruiting and I thought it might be cool. I didn't want to shake things up, I just had a nice idea for a story arc.

Of course Doom wasn't going to keep it. That's how it works with bad guys. But since everyone wanted to jump to the end and suck out every ounce of suspense out of it, I'm not really feelin' it like I was.

Oh and Byrd. Don't worry. You won't have to cover for me when I inevitably drop out. I'll just save ya some trouble.

Sorry for all the **** I stirred up.

:doom: :doom: :doom:

Goddamn you! :cmad:

At least play a traditional Doom or some other character, you ***hole

No offense man, but when the first person said, "As long as it's temporary." all you had to say was, "Okay." and a lot of this could have been saved.

But when you threw out ideas of getting rid of Sinestro, changing Hal's origin, and basically trying to insist it was a permanent thing it gives people pause. And even if we knew he would lose it eventually doesn't mean you couldn't have told a good story with it.

Just because everyone knew Captain America was going to be frozen in the arctic at the end of the movie, the director still told one damn fine story and made one damn fine movie.

Umm... I have two comments. One, in Marvel, Xavier's School hasn't been strictly mutants only since the 60's, when Mimic joined for a short time. Currently, there's a Brood character attending the school, and Danger (a robot) was part of the team for a bit too.

Second, I won't doubt Doom's willpower, but isn't one of the requirements at the beginning of the GL mythos for a ringbearer is that they have to be fearless. I mean, Doom's pretty good about not showing any weaknesses, but the guy's rife with unconscious fears. Fears that he may be inferior to Richards, fears about his mother. The way I see the story going is the ring might choose him over Hal, but the Guardians wouldn't let him stay a GL for long, driving Doom to be an enemy of the GLC.

The issue here is that while things like Dick having his parent's killed by the Hulk or Black Lightning being a mutant may be big changes, the characters are still who they are. Doom becoming and staying a Green Lantern means that either (1) Doom becomes a hero, or (2) there's a villainous Green Lantern out there. Neither would be true to either character/concept.

But hey, I'd roll with it. (Though I was more hoping to see a post-cosmic ray Ben Grimm split his time between the GLC and the FF. :hal::thing:)

Edit: Well, that exploded while I was typing.

Honestly, Hal as a herald of Galactus sounds ****ing awesome.

As does a Fantastic Four with Ben not being the Thing but a GL.

Honestly, Hal as a herald of Galactus sounds ****ing awesome.

It was a neat idea that never went ANYWHERE. Hal just disappeared because the fight with Galactus was over and whoever was playing Hal at the time dropped him.

So... will there be an OOC thread up soonish? I actually have my app done, as well as a long rambling "brief" history and sample post (which may be split up into two or more posts).

Also, Carny, did you get my MSN invite? I still need to yell at you for taking Animal Man from me in the new DC game. :argh:

I'd be cool with the Thing being a GL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"