"One Universe" RPG thread.

It has been two weeks since Jim Gordon saw the man he thought to have been Bruce Wayne in that East End alley. He albiet forgot about it, and kept at his routine.

It was his night off. Him and Sarah made some of the more exquisate meals they've had in a while (which is tough to do, considering a cop's salary). At the moment, they had finished their meal and had moved into the living room. He laid on the ground, chest to the floor, Sarah on top, giving him a massage. Some R&B was playing from the stereo, Marvin Gaye, Gordon thought, but he wasn't sure.

"God, Jim, you have been stressed a lot. I'd have to use a jackhammer on your back to get these kinks out," Sarah said. Gordon would have said some words of encouragement, but he was too busy having his eyes roll to the back of his head and half-dozing from the sensation.

Suddenly, her hands stoped their menstrations. She gasped out and her hands met to her stomach. That was enough to knock Gordon back to reality and turned as much as he could to see her.

"Sarah? Sarah, what's wrong?"

"I...I think my water just broke."

The time has come. I know it.

The costume, the tools, all the preperations I have taken, have been tested and deemed ready. All that remains is to find out whether the method works or not.

I hope, I pray it is. If it isn't, then...I don't know what I could do then.

I take one of the cars that is part of the massive garage in the manor. It's a jet black Honda, nothing that is idenitfyable, with no connection to me or anyone else. I put my costume on and step into the car.

The engine revves up, purring like a kitten...no, a panther ready to stalk the prey.

So am I.

I drive out.

Gordon carried his wife into his old Honda and drove to the hospital as fast as he could. Sarah, lying in the backseat, was trying to do the breathing exercises she was taught.

After a few minutes of high-speed driving, Gordon made it to the Emergency Room of the Gotham County hospital. He parked in the lane, picked Sarah back into his arms, and walked inside.

"Help us! We need a doctor here, now!"

"HELP! SOMEBODY, HELP ME!"

The wind blows past me, with a parcel of the woman's cry. I see into the alley next to me the situation. A young woman, no older than 20, was being beaten by a heavy-set man towering over her. He looks as though he's motioning to unzip his pants. I have to act fast.

I jump out of the car, one half gaining towards the fire escape to get my advantage, the other feeling slightly rediculous with my strange new wear outside of the shadows.

"OH GOD PLEASE HELP!!"

By then, I'm close the the third floor of the fire escape and looking down towards them. He has his pants down and he's reaching to rip the woman's blouse off.

I've had enough of this. It's time.

Sarah Essen Gordon lays in a rolling hospital bed, being rushed into surgery. Jim Gordon ran next to the doctors and nurses, keeping pace.

It took a long time. Jim didn't catch the exact amount, he was too busy keeping his hand from breaking under Sarah's own clutching fist, in awe of what was going on to hear. Finally, Sarah pushed for the final time, screaming as she did so, then finally collapsing back on the bed, panting and exhausted, only to hear another cry in the room.

"It's a boy!" The doctors continued their work still, whiping the goo off of him, cutting the embilical cord, and putting his fingerprints in. Jim was trying to catch a glance at the child, while Sarah was just gathering her strength.

Finally, one of the nurses went to the couple, with the baby cradeled in her arms. The nurse put the baby, wrapped in it's blanket, into Sarah's awaiting arms. All Sarah could do was look at her child and laugh and cry.

Jim was staring at the boy, ambushed by the similarities that made this child part of him. He saw some of his facial structures in the small boy, but his eyes were purely his mother's.

Jim moved forward so that Sarah could give the baby to him. He stared at the infant, and saw his child staring at him.

"Hey, there, little man," he finally whispered to him, James, "I'm your father."

"Let the girl go. NOW."

I drop from the fire escape and to the ground, fully exposing myself for the first time.

The armor was a charcoal grey, the belt a dull gold, and the cape, boots, gauntlets, and mask a pure jet black. The cowl mostly resembles the face, with an almost beak-esque nose and horns that portrudes from the sides of my skull, starting from the mouth opening of the cowl and ending an inch or so beyond the head.

I stand perfectly straight, eyes glaring towards the scene, my cape obscuring most of my figure.

The fat bastard's reaction was perfect. He screamed at the sight of me, dropping the girl like a sack of hot potatoes. I allow him to zip his pants back up before I pounced on him.

I take him apart, dislocating a shoulder, twisting the wrist in ways God never intended it to twist, throwing a solid right hook to the face, forcing the fat bastard to cough up blood and teeth. I finally finish him by throwing him into a dumpster.

I turn back to the girl, collapsed on the ground. She starts screaming again, begging for help still. I look to see if there was someone else here when I realize...she's scared of me.

I walk towards her, causing her to scream until her voice breaks and resorts to gasps and cries. I'm practically a foot-step away from her when I give my arm to her. She looks at the arm, like a foreign object, looked into my eyes, and looked back to the arm.

Finally, she clasps her hand into mine, and I help pull her up. She tries in vain to unruffel her clothes before looking back to me.

"T-thank you," she finally whispered.

"Go home. You will be safe there." She nods and starts to walk away before turning back.

"Who...what are you?" I had been giving that a lot of thought. What should I call myself? The name just popped into my head.

"I'm The Batman."

LibrarianThorne said:
In the depths of space...

The stars shine, their light piercing the vacuum of space. Nearby lies a frozen world, it's sun a mere speck in the distance. The scene is calm, serene, peaceful.

It is destroyed when a white vortex appears, an echoing BOOM resonating at its appearance. It is followed first by one, then many more similar vortexes. They sit, whirling in space momentary, odd intrusions upon the laws of physics. From them emerge dozens of sleek ships, designs far past what normal humans would even consider possible.

Aboard the largest ship was the leader of this improbable force. He stood on the bridge, surrounded by trained Parademons and his general, Steppenwolf. On viewscreens surrounding the bridge were his other commanders and generals. An old, bitter face framed by wild white hair looked down upon him, as did the face of a younger man, topped by shockingly orange hair.
"Steppenwolf, repeat for those here what you have told me about the human known as Magneto."
"Yes, great Darkseid. He apparently has the ability to control natural magnetic fields. Beyond that, he is ruler of the nation of Genosha, as well as the orbiting asteroid, Asteroid M. He has typically low human intelligence, yet it is my opinion that a strategic alliance with him would be fruitful, and of course make the takeover of Genosha much smoother."
Darkseid nodded, rubbing his chin. "I am in agreement with Steppenwolf on this matter. Godfrey, initiate contact with this Magneto. I am prepared to offer him a position as governor of 'Urth' in my stead, as well as a Mother Box."
The assembled leaders stared questioningly at their lord. "These offers will entice him, and of course the offer of rulership of his pathetic world will appeal to his vastly overinflated ego. He will join us, and we will use his power and forces in the first wave of the invasion. Then we shall sweep from the skies and destroy the opposition. 'Urth' will fall in a single day, once we begin. "
The orange-haired man, the Glorious Godfrey as he was known, nodded vigorously. "Great plan, my lord Darkseid. Real growth possiblities there. This primitive Earth man will be swayed by the offer, and if not by that, then by my voice." He winked at Darkseid. "We'll contact this Magneto as soon as possible, and I am happy to serve one of your infallible plans, lord Darkseid."
Darkseid scowled. "You may be proud when your work is done, Godfrey, and no sooner. Urth will stand as an example of the might of Apokolips. This invasion will pave the way for my ultimate goal. See that it goes well."
With that, the viewscreens winked out, and the bridge resumed its normally busy pace.

Magnus stared into the infinite wonder of space for hours, not breaking concentration once. He had made a decision. The stillness of space was almost calming to Magneto, he preferred to do most of his thinking alone up on Asteroid M.

*Alert* *Alert* *Alert*

*Unidentified message transmission being received.*

Magneto lifted off the ground and flew to his reconnaissance station. He hovered in front of his enormous monitor screen with his arms crossed and a scowl on his face.

A slimy looking used-car salesman suddenly appeared in front of Magneto. He was not happy to be disturbed during such hard times of tribulation. Magnus calmly bellowed out, "Who are you?"

rex26 said:
Magnus stared into the infinite wonder of space for hours, not breaking concentration once. He had made a decision. The stillness of space was almost calming to Magneto, he preferred to do most of his thinking alone up on Asteroid M.

*Alert* *Alert* *Alert*

*Unidentified message transmission being received.*

Magneto lifted off the ground and flew to his reconnaissance station. He hovered in front of his enormous monitor screen with his arms crossed and a scowl on his face.

A slimy looking used-car salesman suddenly appeared in front of Magneto. He was not happy to be disturbed during such hard times of tribulation. Magnus calmly bellowed out, "Who are you?"

Godfrey smoothed out his hair. As he gazed upon the face of Magneto. The helmet was a little gauche, he thought.
"Magneto, buddy, pal, have I got a deal for you!" he began, slowly working up his powers. He didn't want to take any chances, especially not when Darkseid was depending on him to such a degree. He knew the price of failure, and he had better things to do than die.
"The name's Godfrey, though most call me Glorious. I'm here to offer you something your kind has never seen before, wonders of a far away world." He then moved his hand out from under his cape, bringing the object it held into the view of the viewscreen, so the human could see it.
"This, Magnus, is a Mother Box, the most powerful piece of machinery in this or any other dimension. I know, I checked it out. And I'm offering it to you. That's right, you! All you have to do is agree to a deal."

Here comes the hard part, thought the Glorious Godfrey. "I serve a being known as Darkseid (may he reign forever over creation), and he is looking at... acquring your planet 'Urth'. Of all the beings on Earth, he thinks that you are worthy of knowing this knowledge. Trust me, this is a big deal. I've known Darkseid (may he never find any treachery in me, that I may not suffer his wrath) for a long time, and he usually doesn't offer deals. But in your case, he considers you worthy of notice. Of all the base persons on your planet, he's noticed something special about you, and that's why he's sent me."
Now the clincher, he thought. "He wants to forge an alliance with you, great Magneto, ruler of Genosha and Asteroid M. He offers you a Mother Box in exchange, and when 'Urth' is his, he offers you governorship over it."

Time for a bit of the ol' razzle-dazzle. "But he knows, and I know, that you are a practical man, and would not agree to something like this lightly. So, I cooked up a little demonstration of just what Darkseid is offering you." Godfrey nodded to a Parademon who was off screen, who sent the co-ordinates and location of Godfrey's vessel.
"Notice, great Magneto, that I am roughly in orbit around your system's farthest world, 'Pluto' I believe you call it." There was a sudden flash of light on the viewscreen.

A moment later, a swirling white vortex opened in Magneto's chambers, opening with a deafening BOOM! From the white cortex stepped Godfrey, resplendent in a white suit, with a flowing, high collared red cape behind him. In one hand, he held the Mother Box, in the other, a contract.
"Boom Tube. Instant teleportation to anywhere you desire, with a little bit of flair, of course. Yours, along with the aid of Darkseid (lord of Apokolips, may his reign outlive the stars). All you have to do is sign this contract, and Urth will be yours. If you do, Darkseid (may he never cast me into the Infernal Pit) himself will contact you and inform you of his plans. What do you say, Magneto?"

LibrarianThorne said:
Godfrey smoothed out his hair. As he gazed upon the face of Magneto. The helmet was a little gauche, he thought.
"Magneto, buddy, pal, have I got a deal for you!" he began, slowly working up his powers. He didn't want to take any chances, especially not when Darkseid was depending on him to such a degree. He knew the price of failure, and he had better things to do than die.
"The name's Godfrey, though most call me Glorious. I'm here to offer you something your kind has never seen before, wonders of a far away world." He then moved his hand out from under his cape, bringing the object it held into the view of the viewscreen, so the human could see it.
"This, Magnus, is a Mother Box, the most powerful piece of machinery in this or any other dimension. I know, I checked it out. And I'm offering it to you. That's right, you! All you have to do is agree to a deal."

Here comes the hard part, thought the Glorious Godfrey. "I serve a being known as Darkseid (may he reign forever over creation), and he is looking at... acquring your planet 'Urth'. Of all the beings on Earth, he thinks that you are worthy of knowing this knowledge. Trust me, this is a big deal. I've known Darkseid (may he never find any treachery in me, that I may not suffer his wrath) for a long time, and he usually doesn't offer deals. But in your case, he considers you worthy of notice. Of all the base persons on your planet, he's noticed something special about you, and that's why he's sent me."
Now the clincher, he thought. "He wants to forge an alliance with you, great Magneto, ruler of Genosha and Asteroid M. He offers you a Mother Box in exchange, and when 'Urth' is his, he offers you governorship over it."

Time for a bit of the ol' razzle-dazzle. "But he knows, and I know, that you are a practical man, and would not agree to something like this lightly. So, I cooked up a little demonstration of just what Darkseid is offering you." Godfrey nodded to a Parademon who was off screen, who sent the co-ordinates and location of Godfrey's vessel.
"Notice, great Magneto, that I am roughly in orbit around your system's farthest world, 'Pluto' I believe you call it." There was a sudden flash of light on the viewscreen.

A moment later, a swirling white vortex opened in Magneto's chambers, opening with a deafening BOOM! From the white cortex stepped Godfrey, resplendent in a white suit, with a flowing, high collared red cape behind him. In one hand, he held the Mother Box, in the other, a contract.
"Boom Tube. Instant teleportation to anywhere you desire, with a little bit of flair, of course. Yours, along with the aid of Darkseid (lord of Apokolips, may his reign outlive the stars). All you have to do is sign this contract, and Urth will be yours. If you do, Darkseid (may he never cast me into the Infernal Pit) himself will contact you and inform you of his plans. What do you say, Magneto?"

Magneto was overcome with excitement, but did not leak a hint of it through his facial expressions. This could be the answer to his problems. It was too good to be true.

"I will gladly discuss terms with your master. Tell him I will await his word here," and he smiled at his put on his helmet, "May I see the 'Mother Box?'"

rex26 said:
Magneto was overcome with excitement, but did not leak a hint of it through his facial expressions. This could be the answer to his problems. It was too good to be true.

"I will gladly discuss terms with your master. Tell him I will await his word here," and he smiled at his put on his helmet, "May I see the 'Mother Box?'"

"Oh, but of course you can see the Mother Box," said Godfrey with a smile. "But first, you'll have to sign the contract. Darkseid (may his wisdom grant him his every desire) does not value deals without something of both parties in them, so I am afraid. He is a stickler about contracts being signed in blood. Ghastly, I know, but it does ensure loyalty, something Darkseid (his greatness will conquer the stars) values very much."

He again proffered the contract. "Notice, if you will, that Darkseid has already signed. It merely waits your signature, lord Magneto." Darkseid of course hadn't signed the contract. Rather, Godfrey had used a parademon's blood. How could this Earthman notice the difference?

The Scarecrow sat at his new desk, in his new office in the back of the warehouse, tinkering with his new inventions. He found various items and parts around the warehouse that he could use. First he found a fake skull but this was not for some high school science class. He took the back of the skull and place one of his toxin firing devices in it. Second, he found various parts which he built a contraption to hold and release large amounts of toxin. He got up and walked over to an open box which was full of snow globes.He picked one up and looked into it. It was Gotham City and in the corner was Gotham Unversity. He slammed the snow globe into the ground which shattered and a screamed erupted in the room. Scarecrow walked over to a closet and opened the door. Inside was Lenny who was tied up and still screaming.

"hELLo LEnNy ReADy to PlaY nICE", he dragged him out of the closet and put him in the middle of the room, his hair was completely white. Lenny shook his head violently. "GoOD, noW I doN't UsuAL DO THiS", he took out a needle and struck Lenny in the arm. There was one final scream and then Lenny stopped. Scarecrow cut the rope and Lenny stood up.

"Now Lennny you will be part of the group that goes to the chemical plant but later we have other matters to discuss... now get out of my sight". Lenny run off like a dog with his tail between his legs. Scarecrow went back to work on his new toys.

I let out a deep-throated purr and slipped the diamond bracelet into my bag, before gently shutting the jewelry case.
On Gothams Lower East side it would go for a bundle, no questions asked.

A light filtered into the store and I froze like a cat, the hairs on my head stood up. Not with fear but with thrill.

“FREEZE!” A voice yelled. Through the darkness I could make out the outline of a lone security guard.
I put my arms up and smiling, walk towards him, into the light.

“What position?” I ask in a seductive voice, placing my hands on my curvy hips.

I smile when I see his jaw drop. Normally I hate being seen, but tonight I felt...frisky…
I keep advancing slowly and gracefully, like a cat. He was young and good looking, obviously the security was getting younger around here. Suited me just fine…

“You wouldn’t shoot a poor defenseless woman would you?” I asked in a soft pitiful voice.
He looked confused and slowly lowered his hand.

I smile broadly, wink and perform a backflip into the darkness before running for the backdoor.

“STOP!”
I run to the door I had come through only to find it locked. Letting out a soft curse I turn putting my back against the door and smile.
I love a challenge.

My mother, if you could call her that, enjoyed the company of cat’s more than her own family, and dad...well…he wasn’t the type most people would call a good father.
Neither one of them paid attention to me or my younger sister.
One thing mother did notice about me was how good I was in gymnastics. But even that came to an end, once she killed herself. Dad followed soon after, his death as much self induced as her was, given his addiction to alcohol, however they didn’t call it ‘suicide,’ no it was just plain death.
Why dwell on it…

My sister and I were sent to different orphanages, I don’t know where she is now, and not much luck at looking for her either. No one cares what happens to people like me.

I took to stealing, a ‘cat’ burglar, before being caught sent to Juve. Had a little adventure there before I left by way of a sack in the water.
Then I lived on the streets, entering the oldest profession known to man and the most enjoyable on his part. A lady of the night. They say my exotic looks helped me in that area, but it didn’t stop me from my one true love.
Stealing. I’m not compulsive, but the thrill and challenge of the hunt. That’s what I enjoy most. While I’d been confined, I’d watched and learned, I knew how to pick locks and disable alarms. I used it all after using my richer john’s.
Sometimes you get lucky with a pimp..sometimes they even treat you well.
Not Stan. He used to beat me within an inch of my life. I rememeber being rolled into the hospital.
The rows of lights had flashed by, the voices garbled in the background, the smell of ammonia in the air…
A guy named Flannery had hooked me up with another guy named Ted, who’d taught me how to defend myself. I’d proved to be a good student.
I hit the streets again, this time with intensity I’d never known before. I didn’t steal enough to garner a city wide hunt, and half my burgleries went unreported.
Call me good, call me bad. I only steal from those who have enough to share. Like Fredrich’s Diamonds and Jewelry.
Not the highest class store, but my abilities were growing everyday and I had to practice somewhere, besides there was Holly to think about…

Cat burglers hate to be seen but sometimes it adds to the thrill.

I look up and all around, my eyes adjusted to the darkness. Slipping behind a counter I wait till he comes to the door, expecting to have me cornered.
He stops surprised to not see me, advancing forwards slowly I stick out my leg tripping him. Once he’s down on his stomach I stand up, and place my feet on either side of him. Leaning over I reach down, hovering my hand near his waist. His eyes are wide with surprise and shock.

“Sorry, no freebies for you.”
I grab his key chain and stepping past him I unlock the door.

Turning I pose and blow him a kiss, before disappearing into the night.

I slip into my bedroom through the window of my small apartment.
Dropping my bag on my bed, I lay down next to it on my stomach. I pull the bracelet out and enjoy the sparkle of the diamonds.

It had been two nights since I’d seen him. The dark mysterious man in the alley who’d saved Holly.

I was late coming home from a john’s house I’d hit earlier.

I always timed my ‘house hits’ at the perfect time. To early and they’d know who did it..to late and it wouldn’t be connected. The thing was to time it right.
A week later was good. The memory was still fresh in the mans head, so he would never think to mention anything stole, for fear of having to divulge his infidelity to his wife.

I thought I’d cased the joint pretty well between my acts of joy.
However there had been a slight entaglement with laser security grids. I knew I needed more practice.

I was slinking along the top of the roof, my bag empty when I’d heard her call. There was no mistaking Holly’s voice nor our pimps. The worthless scumbag.

I peeked over the edge of the roof ready to spring on him when he’d come out. A man from the shadows, throwing punches kicks in a way I was familiar with, it was all so beautiful…

I’d raced home in time to meet Holly at the door, her frame trembling and…

That man….

“Selina?”

I look up quickly.

Holly jumps back.
“Don’t do that…you look like a cat…”
Holly Robinson, my roomate, my friend, a girl I consider my younger sister.

I smile and spinning on the bed I let my legs dangle off the side, stretching.
I reach over and dangle the bracelet in front of her. The bauble catching the dim light from the street.

“A little extras spending money, a little something to brighten our night.”

Holly smiled, standing I dropped it back on the bed and tucked my black hair behind my ear heading for the kitchen.

“Hey, you read about this guy?”
She asked as she trailed me into the small kitchen.

“Hmm…” I say absently perusing the contents of the refrigerator before pulling out the half empty container of milk. She continues to talk as I pour the milk into a glass.

“He dress’s up in an outfit like a spider and he caught two people today..with webbing.”

I lean against the wall, my legs crossed at the ankles and my hands caressing the cup.

“Webbing, huh? Sticky stuff…not that we’d know anything about that.” I wink at Holly as she rolls her eyes.
“Did it come from his..”
CRASH.

Holly jumps and so do I.
I can hear Skeevers voice in the hall, yelling.
"Holly, Selina, where the f**k are you?"

Holly jumps next to me.

“I thought…”

I nod
“Me too.” we both knew he’d be back sooner or later, Gothams jails don’t gather a lot of dust, but they don’t hold very much dirt either.

The door flew open. Banging against the wall, the door knob fitting into a premade hole in the wall from other barge-in’s.

“Nice ta see you two.” He advances towards us, a two day old bruise still noticeable on his face.
He raises his hand and slaps me across the face.
“YOU! You should have told Holly not to pick on someone she ain’t seen before.”

I turn my head back to him, his words trailing into swearing that hummed on my ears. I wipe away the blood from the split lip I’d been given. My mind forming soothing words to calm him.

Words that scatter in my mind as soon as I see him advancing for Holly.
His hand raised, I push Holly aside, giving him a swift knee in the groin, his body comes forwards and I give him a one two punch in the jaw. Air hissing through my teeth, I know I sound like an alley cat.

That man...

I bring my foot up and kick him in the middle, reaching I grab the knife his hand is going for, tossing it to the side. Grabbing his arm I snap it back, punching him again in the face. His body hits the wall, eyes rolling back and closing before he slumps to the floor.

“Selina…”

I turn to see Holly her figure trembling, my jaw set I walk towards her taking her shoulder and gently turning her towards her room.

“Pack, we’re leaving.”

It has been exactly two minutes and fourty-seven seconds since I watch the girl leave and tipped the cops to where to find the fat bastard and I'm currently in the car, half-laughing-half-crying.

This is it. This is exactly what I've been looking for all of my life. I've found the perfect outlet for everything I have inside of me.

A man can have two lives, and that is exactly what I'm going to do.

I drive more around the back allies of Gotham, looking for any disturbence.

I must have done more introspection, because all of a sudden my instincts tell me to brake and I'm just short of having some hood become a smear on my windshield.

I get out of the car and go to him. He screams at the sight of me, even worse than the fat bastard I previously took down.

"NO NO NOT AGAIN!!" He half-sobbed-half-shrieked. "I'M GOING TO THE PLANT JUST LIKE YOU SAID!!!"

"Calm down. What are you talking about?"

"IT'S A TRICK I KNOW IT I KNOW IT. DON'T KILL ME PLEASE, I DON'T WANNA DIE!!!"

Knowing I'll never get anywhere with him like this, I take a syrange out of my belt--a depressive. I grab him, causing him to scream loud enough that stallites might have picked it out, and put enough for him to calm down. His breathing lowers a bit, and he's limp.

"Now, where were you going?"

"No I won't say it I won't say it you'll kill me you're the devil..."

"Perhaps, but I'm a guardian devil. Who did this to you?"

"I won't tell you he's everywhere he'll kill me I know it I know it..."

"He won't. Trust me. Who did this to you?"

"...Scarecrow..."

His eyes close and everything slacks. I'm almost afraid that he died but I catched his heart beat. I took him into the passenger seat and dumped him (literary) at the front of the Gotham County Hospital.

I kept going for the next several hours, going around the city, stopping every crime I saw and growled my new name to everyone who dared did wrong in my city. The last one (another rape) had a can of spray-paint with him, so I hung him upside down from a fire-escape and painted my new symbol on the wall.

41469_l.jpg

It was nearly dawn by the time I got back to the Manor. I was close to passing out before I was even able to get most of my costume off and just collapsed on the bed.

I stoped 5 rapes, 10 muggings, and 6 attempted murders, all in one night.

Not bad for my first day at the job...

My names Tony Stark. But then, you already knew that didn't you?

I'm a Billionaire. Thats right. I'm richer than the Queen of England, and I really could buy all the tea in China.

But who want's tea? Scotch on the rocks. That's a man's drink.

I run Stark Enterprises. I'd probably be lying if I said it wasn't the worlds biggest arms manufacturer.

Don't start getting that pre-conception of me... I'm not a war monger.

I just build what people want to buy. If there was money in a genetic breed of flowers that survive any condition, I'd make it.

In fact, I did. Last year.

But right now... At this point in time... I'm building a thing of Beauty.

It's a suit of armour.

What can I say, i've always been enamoured with being the Knight in shining armour.

I may have updated the concept slightly; electro magnetic generators, repulsor boots, a non magnetic alloy for the base, state of the art computer systems, a link up to any network in the world, and that fresh car smell that I love SO much.

So I'm not going to be the Man of Steel. I can live with that. But I can be an Iron Man.

A nickname that followed me into the buisness world, and one i've grown acustomed to.

Normally, I wouldn't be allowed near the testing of this beast of a machine.

But then, i'm not normal... I'm Tony Stark. But then you already knew that didn't you.

The last drop of rain fell and Billy awoke, he grabbed the alleys stone wall and pulled himself up. He held his stomach in pain, and looked at his bruised face in the puddle below.

As he made way out of the alley he noticed a group of people huddling around a TV in a shops window. He made his way over and began to listen into the news report.

“While at this time it is still uncertain to how many casualty there are…

Billy interrupted “Casualties what happened?” he asked.

A man in the crowd answered Billy’s question “You, haven’t heard? There was a train crash.”

“No.” Billy whispered to himself.

The news reporter continued “The question people are asking themselves is where was Captain Marvel? Could he have prevented this disaster?
The crowd began to mutter to each other.

“I never trusted him anyway.”

“The city worst disaster in decades and where was he?”

“What kind of hero is he?

Billy dashed, back into the alley, it hurt as he ran, but he had to get to the train crash.

“SHAZAM!”

Marvel shot out from the alley and into the sky. He soared though the sky, as fast as he could.

He arrived at the train wreck. He looked down at all the ambulances and police cars that littered the area, he had never seen so many in one place before. He spotted Commissioner Groves from out the crowd and landed beside him.

“What can I do?” Asked Marvel.

Groves stared at the weakage, and didn’t answer for a moment. “You’re late. There’s nothing you can do.”

“There must be something…”

Groves temper rose and he interrupted “Well there isn’t, the one time this city needed a hero the most and you weren’t here! Just leave no one wants you here!”

“But…”

“Go!” he order still refusing to even look at Marvel.

He shot up into the sky and floated above the sky, “It’s my entire fault” His fist tightened and he bowed his head. “I can’t be them both; I can’t be Billy Batson any more.”

LibrarianThorne said:
"Oh, but of course you can see the Mother Box," said Godfrey with a smile. "But first, you'll have to sign the contract. Darkseid (may his wisdom grant him his every desire) does not value deals without something of both parties in them, so I am afraid. He is a stickler about contracts being signed in blood. Ghastly, I know, but it does ensure loyalty, something Darkseid (his greatness will conquer the stars) values very much."

He again proffered the contract. "Notice, if you will, that Darkseid has already signed. It merely waits your signature, lord Magneto." Darkseid of course hadn't signed the contract. Rather, Godfrey had used a parademon's blood. How could this Earthman notice the difference?

Magneto smiled and spoke with the utmost respect, "Of course I'd be happy to sign your contract," he hovered high above the ground and lifted the metal floor paneling under Godfrey's feet raising him up to his own eye level.

Still being a polite host he said, "I believe the saying is, 'take me to your leader'?"

rex26 said:
Magneto smiled and spoke with the utmost respect, "Of course I'd be happy to sign your contract," he hovered high above the ground and lifted the metal floor paneling under Godfrey's feet raising him up to his own eye level.

Still being a polite host he said, "I believe the saying is, 'take me to your leader'?"

Godfrey cocked an eyebrow. He'd never heard that one before. Still, he ran through the possibilities in his mind. Darkseid would frown on an intrusion, and had planned on contacting Magneto later. However, Godfrey also knew this alliance was key to Darkseid's machinations. He smiled. confidently, thoughts still racing in his head.

"Of course you may see Darkseid (May the stars bow to him for eternity), but I'm afraid you'll have to sign the contract first. My lord is a real stickler about this."

SuperFerret said:
I look at my reflection in horror. My hair was falling out, and my skin was scaly and turning green. My eyes looked like those of a gecko, and I could feel my teeth and jaw growing longer and sharper. And I could feel a sinister, reptilian persona begin to emerge, to share my mind with me, and it was growing strong.

On this day, I became a monster.
On this day, I was born.

I was terrified. I escaped out the window for fear of being discovered.
I was hungry. I left this place through the window in search of prey.

I was getting weaker, and losing control over my own body, which was mutating more and more.
I was getting stronger, and gaining more control over my new body, which was improving more and more.

I ran through the daylit streets of Metropolis, unintentionally frightening people as I cried out for help.
I ran through the daylit streets of this human settlement, humans fleeing from my path as I roared ferociously.

I was losing control. I chased after a man who ran down an alleyway to escape me.
I was gaining more influence over my body. I persued a mammal as it ran into a dark alley, trying to escape me.

I cried inside as I killed the man. Curt Conners died with him.
I roared in triumph as my jaws closed around my prey. The Lizard lives!!

The sewer system of this large city is a perfect environ for a large reptile to thrive in. It reminds me of the human legends of the alligators in the sewers, though I haven't seen any evidence of one in the hours that I have been down here. Still, the warmth, the abundance of food (small rodents, stray pets, the occasional homeless human) and the vast amount of available hiding places from which to strike from, make this a saurian predators paradise.

A sound rouses me from my introspective thoughts, something approaches my position. I drop the gnawed on femur to the ground, and slipped into a nearby pool of deep standing water, leaving only the very top of me head exposed, the strategy of the aforementioned alligator, and waited for my next prey to come close.

It's been nearly a day since I first went out and revealed myself,and I'm already becoming the top story of the year,it seems.

On my way to work,I spotted a headline from a competiting newspaper.And guess who was plastered across the cover?

Me.

Not just that,but EVERY single cover on the newstand had me on it.Granted,not every one of them were great pictures,but it's still enough to make me worried.

I'm not prepared for this sort of thing.All of this...attention.Until now,no one even knew about my abilities,aside from my parents.Do I accept it?Or should I try my best to ignore it?

I shake my head,as I walk away from the newstand,heading towards The Planet.

I...Don't know what to do.I just don't.

And just when I thought it couldn't get any worse,I walk into the Planet offices...

- - -

"He's Incredible!"

I've been listening to this for the last five minutes.It seems I've made a bigger impact on Lois than intended...

"He's strong,He's fast,He can fly...Not to mention he's devilishly handsome..."

I can't help but smirk at that last one.And Clark Kent isn't?

I look over at Perry,who seems to be taking all of this in,one at a time.

"Look,Lane...I get it.He's the biggest thing to hit this city since Lex Luthor..."

"Luthor?Forget Luthor!Has Luthor ever defied the laws of physics?!"

"Okay,You make a point.And you can bet that tommorow's headline will be all about this guy...but...we need a name.Something that can get all of our copies sold out within an hour.Something...catchy.Any ideas?"

A name?

There's something even I haven't thought about.But what would you call a guy who did what I did yesterday?

Stupidman?Rediculousman?Captain Headstrong?

Those all seem to fit pretty well...

"Kent,Any suggestions?"

I look up,acting as if I haven't been listening to the conversation at all.

"Uh...I...Uh..."

"Hey,wait a minute....Where were you when He showed up yesterday?"

My eyes widen.

This is it.I knew I couldn't keep this up for long.IDIOT.

"Well,You see...I..."

"Fascinating.Now,What about a name for this guy?"

Well,that was...easy.Easier than I thought,anyway.

"...Captain America?"

Lois looks at me,dumbfounded.

"...Remind me to never ask you for name suggestions again."

I shrug.

"Well...He does sort of look like a flag."

"But we need more than that.We can't put our country's name into it...It'd be a controversy waiting to happen."

Jimmy finally speaks up,looking through his set of photos that he took yesterday.

"Hey...Look at this.The guy wears an S on his suit."

Perry and Lois walk over to Jimmy,looking at his photos.

I never really thought about that,actually...but...I guess that symbol does resemble an S.

"He's right!"

"Then the name has to start with an S.It's only logical."

"What about...Saveman?"

At that point,EVERYONE looks at Jimmy.Even me.

That has to be the worst idea I've ever heard...

"Any serious suggestions?"

"I've got a few.Like...Spectacularman.Sensationalman..."

Make it stop.Please make it stop.I don't think I can take much more of this...

"...Superman..."

Perry looks up at her,after ignoring her first two suggestions.

"What was that last one?"

Lois shrugs.

"Superman."

Superman?

...Compared to some of the others,I actually like that one.It beats 'Spectacularman',at least...

"Superman?"

"Yeah...Superman.I like that.I really like that.It's catchy,It's heroic,Plus it looks GREAT on a headline."

Perry turns to Lois.

"Tommorow's...to be exact.I can see it now...'SUPERMAN:Man Or Myth?A Daily Planet Exclusive!'."

"...Except...We don't have an exclusive."

"Then GET one.I'm issuing an all out reward to the reporter who can get the first interview with Superman by tommorow morning.First one who gets it,get's...well...a raise.But it's not the reward that's important...It's the interview.And damn it...We need an interview with Superman!"

All three of us stand up.

"Whatever you say,Chief."

"Yeah."

"What...um...they said."

"Good.Now get out of my office,and get that interview!"

We all walk out.

So...It seems I have a name now.'Superman'.

The more I think about it...the more I like it,actually.And now that I have two...well...three names,It'll be easier to address myself in that manner.

Catching up with Lois,I look over at her.

"So...What should we do first?"

She looks at me,eyesbrow raised.

"For what?"

"The interview.With Superman."

"Who said there was a we in this,Smallville?"

I stop.So does she.

"It was our story that got him out into the public for the first time.It should be our story that gets the first interview."

"Our?Excuse me...But did you fly with the man?Did you meet him?Did you even see him?I did all of that,Kent...Not you.For all I know,you were busy hiding in the janitor's closet the whole time..."

"Well...Actually,I-"

Before I can finish,she walks away.I can't stop her...because,as much as I hate to admit it,she's right.Well...partly.

And now that I think about it...I'm not even sure I'd want to write about myself.

That's when I remember something from the conversation earlier...

Lex Luthor.

I remember seeing him leave,right before the thugs attacked yesterday.Almost as if he expected it to happen.

Did he?

I mean,the guy is the richest man in Metropolis.What would he have to gain for it?

That's when I realise something.

"More money..."

Those thugs,in the process of the robbery,destroyed half of that auditorium.Luthor is bound to have insurance on all of his buildings...including that one.

So...In effect,the robbery probably got him a nice little amount.

I frown.

And here I was,worrying about a name.It should be Luthor I should be worrying about now...

But I can't interrogate him with no evidence.Or...at least...Not as Clark Kent...

Taking that into account,I rush to the storage closet.Maybe I can use this,from time to time...for emergencies.

Once inside,I take off my glasses,and open my shirt,revealing the symbol underneath it...

Maybe Clark Kent can't do something about Luthor...But Superman might be able to.

"Sir, is this really a good idea?"

I look over to Happy Hogan.

"Shut up Happy. It's my idea, so it's obviously brilliant,"

I smile at him.

He laughs.

"Ok Tony, it's your death wish... But are you sure about that?"

He points to a device that my deep space satelite detected entering the atmosphere. It was relatively simple to go and retrieve it.

It appears to be some sort of a computer. Very advanced. It makes the Iron Man armour look like a caveman rock carving. And believe me when I say that the Iron Man armour is the most advanced technology that Earth has to offer.

The computer has the ability to merge with any technology it comes into contact with. By merging the Iron Man armour with it, i'm hoping for some truly spectacular results.

I pick up my glass of scotch and down it in one.

"Right... Let's get to work"

I press a release button, opening the back of the suit up. I climb in, fastening myself into the technology that is just urging me to use it.

I place the helmet on my head, and using the mind interface I shut the back of the suit up.

im_wizard_67_thumb.gif

The systems come online quickly, each powering up to 100% efficiency.

No waste on the power output. Tony Stark, you've done it again.

I walk over to the desk, and pick up the alien computer.

I place it against my left arm, and press the button we've decifered as the activation matrix.

Suddenly, a power surge erupts throughout the suit. Systems load up again, but in some strange language.

"English" I calmly say.

The suit responds, translating so I can understand.

Motherbox interfaced with Human Combat Suit.

"ok..."

Motherbox is downloading relevent information into systems.

"Dear god..."

What I see leaves me silent for a good while.

Light played onto his desk, streaming in from the massive windows that made the outer wall of his office. The desk was mahogany, polished and worn. It'd been in his family for over a century. He stood in the doorway for a moment, resplendent in his expensive black suit, with a vibrant blue tie aroudn his neck. His blonde hair was combed back, and his statuesque face was covered, in part, by a small mustache and goatee. One of the few thigns he'd managed to retain, at least in part, since his ordeal on that faraway pacific island.

It's good to be home, thought Olliver Queen. He took a seat in the massive, corinthian leather chair behind the desk. Owner and CEO of Queen Industries, he took his duties very seriously. Queen Industries made technology that could make the world a better place. He'd learned that, in his absence, they'd managed to make a clean burning car engine. It was still experimental, but it was a step.

But there were things wrong with the world that technology couldn't fix, he'd learned. His home, Star City, was troubled. Corrupt officials fed the street crime that plagued the city at night. The headquarters of Queen Industries was one of the only safe havens in down town. It was a problem that always grated on the conscience of Olliver Queen. He knew about the problems, but even with his power and influence, he knew he couldn't do anything about it. This wasn't like Gotham, he couldn't just funnel money into the city like the Waynes had done. The corruption of Star City was an epidemic, and the city needed a champion.

He'd heard news of the costumed vigilantes in other cities. That flying man in Metropolis, New York's "Spider Man", and that... thing in Gotham City. Through them, he'd seen a way to help Star City. All those months in the island he'd become an amazing archer, and his body was pretty fit, too. He'd bought a Robing Hood costume he'd seen at a local costume shop, and of course made some alterations.

Tonight, he'd give Star City a show.

The 25th Century...

My names Micheal. I'm a football star. But it's not enough.

I've had this... well obsession for the last few months. Well years.

I've been reading those old time news reals of the Great Heroes of the 21st.

Batman.

Superman.

Green Arrow.

Everyone knows their names. Everyone respects them.

But not one of them EVER tried to use their image for endorsements. Try to get rich while helping people.

Just think if they had done that, think of all the other people they'd have helped!

I mean, it's easyier to cure poverty if you're rich.

So I got this plan right... It's a doozy.

I've made friends with this A.I. called 'Skeets'.

He's going to help me get in and 'borrow' a few items from this museum.

Then we're going back.

We're going to be bigger than ALL of them.

My plan... I'm going to be a Superhero.

I'm going to be Booster Gold...

Bg25.png

As I swing through the city, I notice a news stand on a street corner. I jump down onto a ledge, take out some money, snag a paper with a web, and drop down the money.

"KEEP THE CHANGE."

I jump back into the air and swing away before the news guy barely notices I was there.

I sit down on a rooftop and open up the paper.

Oscorp stock is up.

Billionare Bruce Wayne has reported fling with Paris Hilton. (better start stocking up on ointments, Brucey boy.)

S.H.E.I.L.D. arrests twelve wanted terrorists.

The monorch of Latveria begins trade agreement with United States.

Flying man in blue costume and red cape saves reporters from atempted robery.

Doctor Reed Richards and....

Wait.

Flying man?

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Ohmy my God! Oh my God. Oh sweet jesus! A flying man? What the hell is this? A flying man in a blue costume? A red cape? Come on! Who the hell would buy this? That sounds almost as rediculous as a guy in a red spider costume walking on walls."

I look down at my costume.

"Oh yeah. Anyway, this is bull. I mean, what proof do they have? One picture (one crappy picture if I do say so myself) of a guy in a red cape hovering a bit. This would be SO easy to fake it isn't even funny. Except that it is funny. Hell, they don't even have a very god shot at his face. Jesus Christ the things they'll put in the papers these days."

I swing off towards the Bugle after dumping the paper in the trash.

"PARKER!"

Oh joy.

I rush into J.J.'s office.

"Yes, Mr. Jameson?"

"I've got all my photographers on assigment. How would you like to make some money?"

"How much money?"

"10 bucks a photo."

"Excuse me? I didn't hear you. Too much 'not giving a piss you cheap bastard' in my ears."

"Your a smart mouth, aren't ya'? I'll give you 20 bucks a photo."

"I think I'll be leaving now."

"30."

"Hmmmmm. Sounds interesting, but...."

"I'll give you 40 ans that's my final offer."

"I'm listening."

"Some 'genius' scientist crashed a 50 million dolar space ship during some experiment. One of our sorces said they saw himm and his buddies enter the baxter building where the guy lives. You're going to go with Ben Urich to the baxter building to try and get some photos. They guy's bound to come out of his pent house and make a statement sometime this century."

"Fine. But you better come through with the money."

I head out the door and go to look for Mr. Urich.

The sun beats down upon my face (stars fill my dreams, I finish in a sleep-indused haze) as I am awakened very quickly by water hitting me. Even after being awake for only a second and a half, I was able to pin-point where the bandit was and got the intruder by the arm, starting to twist a little, to show that I had him. By the time I opened my eyes I saw it was Leslie.

"Well, that's an interesting way of saying 'Good morning.'"

"That was an interesting way of waking me up, so I'd say we're even." I let go of her arm as I noticed the bucket in her hand. "Alfred will probably be mad that you caused him more laundry."

"Mad? He suggested it." She takes out a newspaper and puts it on my lap. "Your new persona made the papers." I quickly take it into my hands and look.

"Superman?"

"Next page, Bruce."

I turn the page and I browse through an article:

"THE BAT-MAN" ATTACKS GOTHAM'S CRIMINALS
Is this the return of the heroes?
Written by Vikki Vale

Depending upon who you asked, either a monster, a demon, or some wierdo in a costume swooped down upon Gotham City, brutally beat over twenty now-convicted men, tied them up to the crime scene, and left them for the cops to gather.
Gotham's finest are baffled by this "Bat-Man," as all the victims have claimed him to be called. According to those convicted that this reporter interviewed, there aren't any conclusions to who this "Bat-Man" is.
"The thing just came to me and attacked me," one Jason Liberlake, a 28 year-old man now in custody of attempted mugging, currently in the hospital for a broken arm and cracked ribs, "it was like a wild animal. It growled, snarled, it was a werewolf, I'm sure."
"It was a monster!" Another, one Carl Baly, who is also in the hospital for a broken tailbone and crushed pelvis, currently charged with rape. "It had fangs and wings and it could fly! It's a demon, it's out to kill us all!"
"The other people you interviewed are obviously suffering through post-traumatic stress disorder and have completely lost their composure," said psychologist and convicted sex offender Anthony Harris, who has a broken nose and had all of his ribs broken, "this was just a man, about twelve-feet tall, with red eyes, super-human strength, and aims to destroy the world."
With the exception of the raving and broken criminals in the hospital, public reception of The Bat-Man have been surprisingly fantastic.
"Bat-Man? I think he's great!" Richard Colaloski, 36, said. "He's kicking the right asses, the ones the cops aren't kicking, that's for sure."
"This guy's only taking back what's ours," said Michelle Rolond, 25, "we regular people are fed up with the terror, the stupid laws and social cowardness. There should be more guys like this, doing what's nessesary to truely help the people."
"It makes me sick," said Ronald Strappley, 53. "We need to rehabilitate and help those who do wrong, realign them with society." When asked where he lived, he said, "Sacred Oaks, of cource. I'd never live in the city."
Whether his actions are good or not, with this "Bat-Man" and with this Superman flying in Metropolis, one can't help but feel that we've gone back in time, back when people like Captain America fought in World War II, or The Reaper and the Green Lantern fighting crime in our Gotham City. Is it the return of the Golden Age?

"Looks like I made an impression." I put the paper down and got up.

"That's all you have to say? You don't care if you critically injured over twenty people?" I turned towards her.

"You think I'm just as bad as them, don't you?"

"No, at least, not yet. This new persona is going to eat you alive, Bruce, I can feel it. I mean, why haven't you been to my Clinic? Did you forget about our meeting?" Crap. I did forget about that.

"I...I'm sorry, Leslie. I just got caught up in making the--"

"The Batman. I know. You know, ever since you came back, it's been all you've talked about. Why do you need to do this? Why can't you just help people as YOURSELF. You could give so much, but instead you're spending it on your own selfish holy war."

I just sat there and let her speak. I...I understand. She's right, I CAN do things both as Batman and as Bruce Wayne.

After all, a man can have two lives...

Two days, a few phone-calls, and a lot of reading later, I'm standing in front of dozens of dozens of reporters and socialites at the steps of Wayne Tower. After Mayor Hill blows out his hot air, he introduces me and I walk to the podium.

"Thank you, Mayor Hill," I nod over to him, "and greetings, Gotham City. As you are all well aware, my father, Thomas Wayne, created this company, starting as Wayne Pharmicudicals. As time progressed and revenue increased, he branched out, eventually becoming the empire known as Wayne Enterprises. Though I'm not sure if I can make WE progress that much as the new CEO, but you can be well assured that I will keep my father's empire afloat.

"My first decision as CEO was actually quite simple to make. My father loved this city, and the more money he gained, the more he would give to those who truely needed it in this city. That was my father's legacy, and I hope to follow, if not exceed it.

"That is why I opened up the Wayne Foundation. As we speak, telephone calls are being made to every hospital and every clinic in Gotham City. We hope that by the end of the month, we will be able to stop lack of equipment in order to save lives, all without rising prices against those who need it. Every life deserves a chance to live, and this will be the first of many steps of the Wayne Foundation so that we can be able to save every life. Thank you, that will be all."

I walk off the platform and make my way to the limo, Alfred waiting.

I step into the limo, to find Leslie there, sitting in the seat next to me.

"...Am I off the hook now?" I asked.

"It's a start."

I reach LexCorp towers in half the time it took me to get to work this morning.Maybe I should consider flying to work,from now on...

I look at the building.How am I going to find Luthor in a building this huge?

That's when I realise I have the power to see through walls.Definatley not one of my smarter moments of the day...

Focusing my eyes on the top of the building,I feel my x-ray vision kick in...Only to see...

"...Nothing?"

I can't see through it.As hard as I try,and everywhere I focus on the building...I can't see through it at all.

Are my powers failing?

I look down at myself,only to realise I'm still floating.And I feel as strong as ever.Maybe it's just my vision...

I look over at another building,and focus my vision on it.It works!Good,For a second there,I thought...

That's when I realise I'm looking into an apartment building,WHILE a woman is taking a shower.She steps out,giving me....well...alot more than I needed to see.

I look away,abruptly.

I'm going to pretend that never happened.Ever.

I need to be more careful...I can't just use my powers for my own means.I have to be considerate of other people's privacy.

...And yet,Here I am,looking through buildings.

I need to get back to looking for Luthor.

Instead of using my vision again,I decide to fly up to the top floor.If Luthor is as arrogant as I'd think someone with his amount of power would be,He'd naturally want an office with a view of the whole city.

And...sure enough,by the time I make it to the top floor,I spot Luthor,sitting alone.He looks like he's deep in thought.Probably thinking of how to commit more insurance scams,if my guess is correct...

I tap on the glass,to catch his attention.The minute he turns around,I expect his jaw to drop at the sight of me.

Instead...When he sees me,He merely smirks,as the windows open automatically.It's almost as if He...expected me.

"Ah,yes..The man of the hour himself at my doorstep.Or,window rather.Please,come in.Make yourself at home.Hang up your cape,or whatever you flying types like to do when visiting those who bow to your mighty prescence."

That's...strange.Not at all what I expected.It's as if he's treating this like an everyday visit,or something.But...If it'll end this fast,I don't mind.

Floating in,I cross my arms.

"Well,Let's start,then.To what do I owe this little visit,Mr...?"

I speak up,trying to sound somewhat intimidating.

"Superman seems to have caught on."

He raises an eyebrow.

"Superman?Magnificant.It's self explainitory,considering what you pulled off yesterday was,by all means,'Super'.But...What would a 'Super Man',such as yourself,be doing here?"

He's trying to charm me.It isn't going to work.

"I'm here to ask why you left so abruptly yesterday at the press conference.And why it seemed that you expected the robbery to take place."

He looks at me.But...His face expresses no certain emotion.He doesn't seem surprised,appauled,scared,or even a little angry.He's just...looking at me,as if I were nothing to him.

"While I applaud your efforts to seemingly do as much good as you can in Metropolis,I'm afraid that you're looking in the wrong place.I'm guilty of no crime whatsoever."

I look into his eyes.I can't tell for sure if he's lying or not.I can't even tell if he's scared of me or not.It's like he's mastered masking his own emotions from other people.

"And what about the insurance?Surely you'd have that auditorium insured,like your other buildings.And considering the suspects in the robbery made alot of damage...alot of uneeded damage,to it...Wouldn't it grant you more money for them?"

He laughs,a little.

"Are you accusing me of insurance fraud?You wouldn't be the first,I'll give you that...but...You see,even if I were guilty of such a criminal act,what real evidence do you have?"

My eyes widen.

It's only now that I realise I've gone into this with nothing more than accusations.And considering I am a reporter...That's just sad.

He's got me there.I can't take him in without any evidence to back up any of my claims.

And I thought forgetting my x-ray vision was my dumbest move of the day...

"Well?I'm waiting...'Superman'."

I look at him.As much as I hate to admit it...there's nothing I can do.I have to abide by the laws of this city,no matter how powerful I am.

"I...Don't.I don't have any evidence against you."

"Then why are you still here?"

I walk closer to him.

"I've read up on you,Luthor.While you do have a mostly clean public image,I've heard all of the rumors.All of the stories.All of the bad ones,mostly.And I swear to you...If I ever find them out to be true,or find you to be behind any criminal acts in this city,or this world,I'm taking you in.That's a promise."

He looks at me.I can tell I've hit a nerve.But,He still manages to contain his anger,it seems,as he sits back.

"Amusing.You stand to rid the world of evil and wrongdoing,and yet you have the power to destroy us all.Ironic,even.While I do take your...let's say,'vow' with some seriousness...Let me ask you a question.How do I know that you won't turn on the rest of mankind,and use your powers to selfishly take power for yourself?"

I can't believe this.I come here to accuse him of criminal acts,and he turns it around on me?

How did...What...

No.I can't let him do that.I would never betray the morals I was taught,or the citizens of which I've vowed to protect.

"You don't.But I do.And I know that I would never betray this earth,or it's people."

He smirks again.I'm starting to hate that.

"Keep telling yourself that.But in the meantime,I have an important buisness meeting to attend,so if you could kindly fly away,or float,of whatever you choose to call what you do,and leave my office,I'd appreciate it."

Theres nothing more I can do here.There was nothing I could do in the first place,now that I think about it...but...I think I've overstayed my welcome.

Turning around,I head for the window.Then,I turn back around,and look at him.

"One last thing.If you ever want to find me,or contact me...All you have to do is look up."

Before he can respond to that,I turn around,and fly out of the building.As I do,I hear him say one last thing...

"I'll make sure to remember that."

What was I thinking?!

No...That's just the point.I wasn't thinking.The crimes I'm capable of stopping have to be proven...I can't just take down any person I want,even if I'm sure they aren't being truthful with me.

And I'm fairly certain that Luthor wasn't being honest with me.But...I can't do anything about it.Even though I'm as powerful as I am,He has a different kind of power over this city.A power that even I can't take on.Not yet,anyway.

One thing's for sure...

I know that's not going to be the last time I have a discussion with Lex Luthor.

realbatman4rw3lo.png

The night air bit into him. A cool breeze coming down off of the skyscrapers in downtown Star City, which normally owuldn't be a problem, but was when all you had on was green spandex and a medieval archer's outfit. So much of this was, on the face of it, utterly ridiculous. Here he was, Olliver Queen, one of the 5 richest people in the world, standing on top of a dilapidated apartment building in a Robin Hood costume. Who could take him seriously?

He gripped the long, green bow in his hand, and smirked. If the other "heroes" could pull it off, so could he. Besides, the black domino mask added some flair to the outfit.

Shoulda bought a police scanner or something to go along with the outfit, thought Queen as he observed the dingy stree below him. Martin Luther King Boulevard, most crime ridden street in Star City and no, the irony was not lost on him. He'd picked it for his stakeout tonight, figuring if there was one area he could help out, it was here. Not to mention, it always bothered him that a street dedicated to one of the greatest Americans that ever lived would be so hopeless and destitute.

A piercing scream split the night air. He followed the noise across the rooftop, where he saw a woman getting dragged into an alleyway.

Well, Mr. Queen, time to put your arrows where your mouth is. He reached back into his quiver, filled with a dizzying array of arrows he'd personally developed. Net arrows, tear gas arrows, explosive arrows, zip line arrows and more, besides the good old fashioned pointy kind. Pulling out a zip line arrow, he pulled back on the bowstring, drawing it taught, then releasing the green arrow into the building across the street from the one he was standing on. He released his hold on the arrow, and it flew straight and true, embedding itself in one of the bricks. Tying one end on a nearby chimney, he slid down the xip line, using his bow as a handlebar.

He leapt off the zip line and landed in a crouch outside the alleyway. He could still hear the girl's screams, but now he could hear the man, too. His voice was a deep baritone, with a hard edge to it. "C'mon baby, ain't no thang. You jes' gotta be still an' quiet, right? Don' make no fuss an' nobody gonna get hurt!" He heard the cold, metallic sound of a gun being cocked.

Great, just great, he's packing heat and I've got a bow. A friggin' bow! What was I thinking? This is never gonna work, thought Queen as he took out three arrows from his quiver. He then stepped into the dim light afforded by the street light and leaned against the wall of the building. "Hey pal, I know you're only doing this because you got a poor deal on your upbringing and you live in poverty, but could you put the girl and the gun down?" The girl stopped screaming.

The thug looked up at him, eyes wide in confusion. "Man, who you supposed to be? Some kinda Robin Hood? You ain't got no Merry Men to watch yo' ass, so you bes' get to steppin', unnerstand?" He brought up his gun, an old and battered 9mm pistol.

Robin Hood joke, like I didn't expect that one, thought Queen grimly. "Ok, punk, I'm giving you to the count of three to drop the gun and the girl or me and my pointy friends here drop you, understand?" He brought up his bow.

He saw it. The thug began to pull the trigger, and Ollie let fly. His first arrow entered the barrel of the gun, blocking it, and moments later the gun flew out of the thug's hand when it backfired. The other two arrows picked the man up by his shoulders and stuck him fast to a wall. Queen ran up, and brought his right fist into the thug's jaw, impacting with a crack. The thug was unconscious, held up now only by Ollie's arrows.

"Who... who are you, masked man?" asked the girl. Ollie turned around, really noticing her for the first time. She was pretty, no older than twenty-two. Her dark brown hair curly, and flowing over her shoulders and back. The pink long sleeved shirt she wore accented all the right curves, as did her hip hugger jeans.

"You can call me Green Arrow, ma'am."

A bank alarm sounded in the distance. Ollie tipped his cap to the girl. "Duty calls," he said, as he turned and raced for the exit of the alleyway.

Two months ago...

I stand on the beach, my eyes scanning the horizon. The warm sea wind flowed over me, blanketing me with comfort. It was almost so distracting that I didn't hear the footsteps in the sand behind me.

I roll to the left, wheeling around and drawing the sharp dagger from the sheath on my belt. I point my weapon at the newcomer, and instantly feel stupid.

"Mother.." I sink to my knees, my head hanging in shame. "I didn't mean to, you startled me."

When I looked up at her, she was smiling.

"Diana," she said, "you are just like me when I was your age, all full of fire and fight, but if you are to make the sojourn into man's world, you must learn to control your warrior instincts in favor of diplomacy."

"Yes, mother, I will try." I return my mother's smile, and stand, the sand falling from my robe as I do. I've always loved this beach, as I know it is the very beach from which my mother gathered the clay that made me. But, I knew that someday, I will travel far away, as my mother did, and I will leave this beach, and everything I know, behind.

Air.

Sweet sweet glorious air.

It fills his lungs as he coughs out water, chemicalss, and a bit of blood. He swins to shore, and stumbles onto the sand. He coughs and takes off the damned stupid helmet he wears. He stumbles through the darkness, barely able to see because of the chemicals in his eyes. His wholke body feels as if he's on fire. Finally, he begins to vomit, and falls to the ground twitching. As he looses consciousness, a single word escapes his lips.

"Jeanie."

Olliver Queen lounged in his chair, the Daily Star spread out before him. Predictably, he'd made headlines as Green Arrow. He'd stopped three kidnappings, two heists, a robbery, and five rapes all in one night. The headlines did leave something to be desired, though. "Masked Man prowls streets at night, saves day." If Green Arrow was going to make a splash, he had to have better press.

He spent the next few hours thinking about what he'd do, dealing with a seemingly inexhaustible amount of paper work. Next time I'm on an abandoned island for fourteen months, I've got to remind myself to use the arrows on me. It was as he was filling out the next page in an endless tax form that the thought struck him. A party! Invite the rich and famous to his mansion for a night, and throw out some choice invites to the big international papers. When Green Arrow went to work, it would only be the best of the best that would write about it. Not to mention it would go to great lengths to helping out his playboy image.

"Shirley, I need you to take care of something real quick," Queen said into his desk mounted intercom.

"Yes, Mr. Queen, what is it?" she replied in a friendly voice. Ollie liked Shirley, she was good with people and a great secretary. She'd probably make a better board member than most of the people on his board, as she had an incredibly sharp business mind. He'd do what he could to get her placed on, once he'd established himself more.

"Shirley, I want to throw a party in... one week's time. Big gala, suit and tie affair. Send out invites to all the big celebs, bill it as "Olliver Queen's coming home party." Throw some invites to Luthor, Fisk, and Bruce Wayne, too. I've been meaning to meet them since I got back. I want some papers covering it, too. Send out invites to the Daily Bugle, the Daily Planet, the Times, all the big papers. I think it's high time the public got used to me being back."

"Yes, boss," she replied. Ollie lounged back in his chair. A big party, to say hello to the world, both as Ollie Queen and as Green Arrow. What could go wrong?

After the conference, I went back to Wayne Manor. I got on the computer in my father's study and started searching news articles.

Last night, I encountered a thug who seemed to be scared out of his mind. Most of his talk was incoherient babble, but I was able to get a name out of him. "Scarecrow."

"Scarecrow." Mighty flamboyant name for a regular joe criminal. This is probably someone who wants to be fameous, willing to do anything to be considered a powerful "super-villian."

After searching a few pages, I found an article:

GOTHAM UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR FIRED
Nutty Professor Fired a Gun in Class
By Lois Lane

The quiet, studious halls of Gotham University became very loud when Dr. Johnathan Crane, Psychology professior of the esteemed college, shot a firearm near the student's heads in class.
According to his students, their professor was always a very eccentric and potentially disturbed man. His class was mostly focused on fears and phobias.
This was not all that Crane did to his students. According to one of Crane's students, who wish to be anymous, the doctor would point all forms of knifes at the students' faces, and even lock them into closets with no food or light.
The Psychology Department have reportedly already fired Crane and have a replacement ready.

Johnathan Crane. I check further in his background, found that he graduated at GU only a couple of years ago, with his doctorate in Psychology, with a minor in Chemistry. I find his adress in the Yellow Page and place them into a compartment in my belt.

Tonight, the "good doctor" is going to be visited by The Batman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"