"One Universe" RPG thread.

San Francisco, California

A man in dark sunglasses whistled to himself, strolling calmly along the Golden Gate Bridge. The backpack he carried with him had been turned inside-out by the National Guard troops along each end, yet another precaution taken to increase security in the wakes of the metahuman attacks in America. The headphones he was wearing played the somber strains of Barber's "Adagio for Strings." The sunglasses hid his eyes, covering the fact that he had been crying for nearly an hour. There was no shame in what he was doing, however. Today, he would die.

Over a dozen of his comerades walked along the bridge as well, each taking it in as a sight-seer. No one would ever suspect them of being fanatical disciples of the alien tyrant Zod. Nor would they expect them of having smuggled high-powered explosives inside of themselves, ingested in rubber casings, all set to one remote detonator.

The Disciples of Zod each took their positions, standing at the weakest structural points they could access without raising suspicion. Even if they were not able to destroy the bridge, the explosions would at least trigger a response from the metahuman population, spurring them into action and keeping them busy while their General would lay waste to Washington itself.

The man in sunglasses looked at his watch, seeing that it was two minutes until the attack was planned to begin. He took a deep breath, and stared out into the bay. As he calmly waited for death to claim him, his stomach lurched. He looked across the bridge for his comerades, and out among the crowd of Americans, he saw at least one, contorting in a painful spasm. A burning sensation shot through his entire body, as if his blood was replaced with fire. He shook violently, falling to the ground as shocked onlookers gathered around him.

His mouth foamed, his vessels in his eyes burst, and every muscle in his body seized up. And a minute later, he was no more.

This was not the death they had planned.

Three blocks away.

The scrawny weasel-faced man threw his cell phone against the wall in a fit of rage. He had sent the signal to detonate the bombs to each of the Disciples on the bridge over a dozen times, and yet there was nothing. The bridge was still there, in full view from their hotel window. The attack had been stopped before it even began.

"Rasheed!" the man shouted to his partner in the other room. "Something is wrong! The bridge is still standing. Our signals go unanswered! Something has failed with the explosives!"

"I know."

"You...you what?! We must report to the General at once!"

"That's not going to happen."
As he said this, Rasheed pulled a silenced 9mm pistol from the holster in his jacket and fired two rounds, which caught the Disciple in the stomach and chest. There was a spray of blood, and the man dropped to the ground, in severe shock but still alive.

"Those bombs aren't going off because I made sure they wouldn't. The explosives in them are faulty, guaranteed to fail. And the lubricated rubber cases? All lubricated with a fairly deadly slow-acting toxin which should have kicked in about two minutes ago. The boys on the bridge are all dead by now."

The bleeding man looked up at his assailant, his eyes filled with a combination of shock and rage.

"Oh, and once you reach hell, make sure the Devil knows that Zod is on his way. Tell him S.H.I.E.L.D. sends their regards."

With that, the man fired one more round into the man's temple, splattering his brains across the hotel room walls. He stepped into the bathroom to grab a towel, and wiped the spatters of blood off as best as he could. Then he exited the room just as calmly as he had entered it, and turned on his radio, setting it to a special frequency.

"Special Agent Rasheed with a sit-rep: situation in San Francisco is clear. Request clean-up in hotel and on bridge. Over and out."

Washington, D.C.
The Pentagon
Six Floors Down

Colonel Nick Fury took a long drag from his cigar, listening to the reports. The attempted attack on San Francisco had been dealt with, as had the planned hijackings in Boston and the car-bombs in St. Louis. Unfortunately, S.H.I.E.L.D. had penetrated into Zod's army only so far, so there were still several terror cells unaccounted for. As far as the Colonel knew, there were still scheduled attacks in New York, Gotham, Keystone City, and Coast City. And then, of course, there was the large Kryptonian in red armor currently standing on the White House lawn.

Fury reached into his pocket and pulled out a cigarette. As he lit it, a lower-ranking officer approached him.

"Ummm...Colonel Fury, sir? There's no smoking in here, and...."

Fury took a long drag from the cigarette, then looked grimly at the man through his one good eye.

"...never mind, sir."

Fury grinned as the man backed away. Was the old man really still that scary? After all, he'd been retired for almost ten years now, only called in for this assignment. On the other hand, after receiving the briefings, it was clear how important this one was: bigger than taking down Baron Von Strucker, more threatening than the Thanagarians, more dangerous than Ra's al Ghul. A psychopath with the powers of a demigod was standing less than a hundred yards away from the Oval Office. If the American people were going to come out on top of this, they needed the best, and Fury had always proven that he was just that.

"All right, boys," the Colonel said aloud, and the activity in the War Room stopped. "Our troops are in place, and the game's already started. S.H.I.E.L.D. is currently dealing with Zod's secondary attacks, neutralizing his agents before they have a chance to do anything. That doesn't mean they don't have other tricks up their sleeve, so I want everyone on their toes.

"As for Big Red out there, he's apparently content to stand around and wait for Superman to show up, so let's not get too impulsive and do anything to set him off just yet. If it comes down to it, we might have the firepower to take him, but...I don't really know. NORAD has just picked up Superman's signature en route from Metropolis, so it looks like the two of them might end up slugging it out.

"The stakes here are high, but that's what we're here for. Everyone get settled in: this is gonna be a long day."

wiegeabo said:
"I remember you from the Apokolips rescue. Good to see your up and about again." How the hell did he find out about the team? I only invited a few people, and I doubt any of them would have said anything. Still, his help would be invaluable. And it's not like we can afford to turn anyone away who would be an asset to the team.

I'm about to say something when I notice Dinah's face. She doesn't seem too happy about the prospect of Mr. Queen joining us. Granted, I can't really read her expression, but the fact she doesn't appear to be happy or optimistic doesn't speak well for the situation.

Well, there's no reason to pretend there isn't a team since he obviously knows about it. "Actually, we are looking to put together a group of...heroes, for lack of a better term. I can't speak for Dinah or Tony, but if you've got the skills to back you claim up, we could use the help. Infact," I look at Dinah, "we need to talk about something important."

"Do you know where Tony is?"

Dinah shook her head as the sound of thumping feet were heard on the stairs.

"You know I"m just logostics in this group." SHe looked away.

"Only here for Tony. He's probably in his workshop. I'll go get him."

Mia and Roy poked their heads over the banister and stared at the adults with wide eyes. Dinah smiled at them. They'd been so excited hearing that the 'Flash' was there, and in their extreme boredom Roy and Ted had started lessons on self defense.

"Perhaps Mr. Queen would like to speak to Roy." Dinah said as she made her way down the stairs.

She peeked into the kitchen where Jarvis and Joan were arguing about the correct way to cook a roast. Ted was perched on a bar stool with a frost glass of beer watching the show and she decided it was better to not disturb the trio.

She went down into the lower levels and opened the door to the 'workshop', even though it was practically an R&D company shoved into a smaller area.

Dinah opened the door to see Tony's back to her.

"Tony, we need to talk."

As Dinah leaves, a little boy and girl enter the room, there eyes wide with wonder. Joan had told me about them. It seems their parents had been killed during the invasion. Dinah had found them and kept them safe, and now they were living here.

The girl shyly stands just behind the boy, and even the boy seems a little intimidated by me. Finally he gets out, "A-Are...are you the Flash?"

I smile. That's explains why they're so nervous. "Yes. I'm one of them."

"Howfastcanyougo?" the girl says very quickly and softly hiding her face behind the boy's back.

"Pretty fast," I say from behind them. They both jump and turn around to see me. There eyes are inhumanly big as the look from me to each other, and back to me.

"......COOL!!!!" they both shout.

I laugh and rub the tops of their heads. "It sure is."

"Can you teach us to run super fast?" the boy Dinah said was Roy asks.

"Afraid not. You sort of have to have the power already." Their faces fall somewhat. "Tell you what, I've got to go talk to Dinah and Tony. If there's time later, I'll do some speed tricks for you." The smiles come back and the little girl claps her hands happily. My breath sticks in my throat for a moment when I see her do that. It reminds me so much of Dinah when she was little.

But I push the thought aside. No time for that now. "Maybe Mr. Queen has some tricks he can show you, or stories to tell?" I say looking at him. "At least for the next few minutes."

They turn to Queen expectantly and that gives me the chance to rush downstairs. I poke my head into the kitchen and see Jarvis and Joan in a rather animated...discussion about cooking. Ted's sitting there with a beer and big smile on his face. He notices me and I motion for him. Ted nods and silently makes his way out to the room.

"I talked with Superman," I say.

"I figured that out. What'd he say?"

"Let's find Tony and Dinah and I can fill you all in at the same time."

wiegeabo said:
"Maybe Mr. Queen has some tricks he can show you, or stories to tell?" I say looking at him. "At least for the next few minutes."

They turn to Queen expectantly and that gives me the chance to rush downstairs.

The two children look at me as Flash runs off.

"Okay kids I'll show you something really cool, follow me."

I lead them to where Jarvis placed my bags and show them a silver briefcase.

"Inside this box is a weapon hundreds of years old but, if used right. Can still be effective today."

I unflick the latches to reveal my bow. I hear the little boy whistle.

"Sweet, Can I hold it?"

I smile as I pick it up.

"Sorry kid, maybe in a few years, watch this."

With my bow in one hand I open up a small compartment under the suitcase to reveal about a dozen diffrent arrows, I pick up one with an exclemation mark on it and string it.

"Might want to put your fingers in your ears kiddos."

The little girl complies while the boy just watches me as I pull back on the string and aim for a vase on a table at the end of the hall. I let the arrow fly, It wizzes through the air and hits the vase with a small exsplosion that rocks the hallway.

"And that my dear children, is my nitro arrow."

Ted and I hear an explosion from upstairs and the laughter of small children. We look up towards the sound.

"What the hell?"

"Maybe it wasn't such a good idea leaving them with Queen."

"I'll go up and-"

"No, they're laughing, so everything's ok. I hope. Let's find Dinah and Tony."

I hear a small explosion in the distance. My head snaps around as I trace the sound toward the docks. I gun the engine of my new vehicle and tear off down the streets. The wind whips past my helmet and licks at the edges of my cape. I can't help but smile slightly as I twist and turn past traffic, my speed inching up as I do so. This new batcycle's manuevers like a dream, allowing me to fly down city streets like the car I had been using could never do.

Of course, it doesn't do everything I want. Not yet. And I still need a larger vehicle. But the bike is worth all the effor tin putting the new dummy companies together. And soon, I wil get that larger vehicle, and a few more toys, as Alfred called them.

But I know I'll need every 'toy,' every advantage I can get over the scum raging through my city.

I make a final turn and see the beginnings of a gang battle on the docks over a shipment, most likely guns. I gun the engine and burn off towards the fight.

I'm going to like these new toys.

ZodRed1Small.jpg

Zod stood patiently on the front lawn of the White House, amused as he watched the American soldiers scurry into different attack positions. They approached him carefully, and the General was curious as to what exactly the apes expected to do to him.

"Surely you realize you cannot defeat me, Earthmen," Zod called out to them. "You are as insects to me, a proud product of the Mother World of Krypton. Your lowly weapons cannot even harm the weakling Kal-El; what can you possibly do to match my power?"

The Americans held their positions, though behind their determination, the General saw the obvious glint of fear. Whereas he had always pushed his own troops to abolish such emotions, here he could use it to his advantage.

"Less than a hundred yards from where I stand, your President, the so-called 'Leader of the Free World,' is cowering in his office. I ask you, how can you inferiors possibly believe you ever had a 'Free World' to begin with? Be it the orders of a government, the hindrances of law, or the simple calls of instinct, there is no such thing as 'freedom.' Your kind is always a slave to something.

"To demonstrate, I will educate you in the ways of fear, how the implementation of sheer terror can control the organism at its basest level. I will rain destruction upon this city, and the whole of your pathetic species shall find themselves in the shackles of fear. There is nothing that can be done now to prevent it.

"Where, I ask you, is the man for whom I asked? The one who should die in place of the thousands I will kill instead? He is nowhere to be found; your great champion, much like your President, is hiding from his fate, from his destiny. Know that as I bring fire to your skies and pave your city's streets with blood, the one man who could stop it has elected to run away.

"Should any of you survive, you will look back on this day and ask to yourself, 'where was he? Why did he not help us?

"WHERE IS SUPERMAN?!"

We finally stumble on Dinah and Tony, apparently at the end of a heated conversation. I would have found them earlier, but I didn't want to leave Ted behind, and now I'm glad I didn't.

"Sorry to interrupt, again, but we all need to talk. I spoke with Superman in Metropolis. Tried to convince him not to surrender to Zod tomorrow. I'm not sure if he will or not, but I told him we'd be there either way to back him up. I...I invited him to join the team, and I don't want the team to let him down before it even gets started."

"Well, that's taking the initiative Jay, to say the least. I've seen some of what Superman can do, and I'm not sure how we can really help against Zod if he's even half as strong. It's not like I've got any super powers."

"Even if we are only damage control, we need to be there for him. If things go badly, Superman won't be able to focus on Zod if he has to worry about innocents. At least that we can help with."

"So," I say to the others, "what do you think?"

Andy C. said:
ZodRed1Small.jpg

Zod stood patiently on the front lawn of the White House, amused as he watched the American soldiers scurry into different attack positions. They approached him carefully, and the General was curious as to what exactly the apes expected to do to him.

"Surely you realize you cannot defeat me, Earthmen," Zod called out to them. "You are as insects to me, a proud product of the Mother World of Krypton. Your lowly weapons cannot even harm the weakling Kal-El; what can you possibly do to match my power?"

The Americans held their positions, though behind their determination, the General saw the obvious glint of fear. Whereas he had always pushed his own troops to abolish such emotions, here he could use it to his advantage.

"Less than a hundred yards from where I stand, your President, the so-called 'Leader of the Free World,' is cowering in his office. I ask you, how can you inferiors possibly believe you ever had a 'Free World' to begin with? Be it the orders of a government, the hindrances of law, or the simple calls of instinct, there is no such thing as 'freedom.' Your kind is always a slave to something.

"To demonstrate, I will educate you in the ways of fear, how the implementation of sheer terror can control the organism at its basest level. I will rain destruction upon this city, and the whole of your pathetic species shall find themselves in the shackles of fear. There is nothing that can be done now to prevent it.

"Where, I ask you, is the man for whom I asked? The one who should die in place of the thousands I will kill instead? He is nowhere to be found; your great champion, much like your President, is hiding from his fate, from his destiny. Know that as I bring fire to your skies and pave your city's streets with blood, the one man who could stop it has elected to run away.

"Should any of you survive, you will look back on this day and ask to yourself, 'where was he? Why did he not help us?

"WHERE IS SUPERMAN?!"

"ZOD!"

Everyone immediatley pauses, and looks to the clouds. The opposing army. The newschannels. The secret service agents. Even the President manages to stick his head out of the window to the oval office.

And Zod.

I find myself having to hold back now, more than ever. This monster has killed hundreds... thousands, all in my name, and today he's further threatened mankind with his arrogant displays of power. I have never more wanted to kill someone than I do now, looking at the executioner I've been waiting tirelessly to face.

Yet, I remain in the clouds, still in deep contemplation, even though I try to hide it. I won't kill him. I know that. That's the difference between he and I. He's wrong about me... I'm not a fugitive from my homeworld. I'm no terrorist.

I'm no murderer.

birthright3.jpg

"STOP THIS MADNESS! YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR!"

I descend, lowering myself between the American forces and him. If he's right about anything, it's that they won't be able to harm either of us. I should get them out of here... But I'm not keeping my eyes off of Zod. Not even for a moment. I know what he's capable of. I've lived it. And that alone leaves me scared for everyone else.

I land, still facing him as he stands, arms crossed, towering over me.

"I've had enough of listening to you threaten humankind. These people have done nothing deserving of what you've inflicted upon them since your arrival. It all ends here, and now. Even if I have to die in order to prevent it's reoccurance.You wanted me, Zod?"

I narrow my eyes, keeping back the blinding heat that's ready to surge from them.

"Well, here I am. Do your worst to me, but I beg of you, leave these people alone."

Beneath his mask, Zod's eyes narrowed, his teeth clenched. A cold shiver ran down his spine as Kal-El spoke, and he was taken aback by the presence of the younger opponent. From the instant he arrived on this primitive mudball of a world, General Zod had waded through his opposition easily, never once having to put up any sort of real fight. Now, in front of him, was a fellow Kryptonian, with the same powers gained under the yellow sun, and with far more experience using them. What's more, this one bore the face and lineage of Zod's greatest enemy. The cold shiver ran throughout his body, pierced through his grand speeches and his fanaticism. For a few moments, the General was truly afraid.

This, however, was only a momentary thing. His ego and his madness would never allow him to admit that Kal-El could be anything else but an inferior. His methods were foolish, his mercy and compassion unforgiveable. Despite his awe-inspiring presense, Zod convinced himself, this 'Superman' was weak.

At last, the General spoke.

"Son of Jor-El.....at last we meet. Now....kneel!"

They all come barging into my workshop, wanting me to do something, anything, for them. I'm no leader, yeah, this team idea was mine, but who said I wanted to be the leader? Did I? I don't remember. Not that I remember much lately anyway, I'm always drunk nowadays. Being drunk gets me depressed, being depressed makes me drink, and I know that I'm gonna lose Dinah to that jackass Queen anyway, so why fight it? That's why I came down here, to drink my sorrows away, but not even my PRIVATE workshop gave me privacy from them. The empty bottle rolls out of my hand to smash on the floor.

"You wanna know what I think, Jay?" I say, not facing them, my voice slurring, "I think you should go f**k off, and leave me alone!"

I stand, wheeling around quickly, my face twisted in drunken anger.

"Get out of here! All of you! Now!" I yell, pointing at the door. "Go kill yourselves fighting this Zod! See if I care!"

I slump back down into my seat, holding my head in my hands.

"Get out."

byrd_man said:
Seagate Correctional Penitentiary, Georgia.

Two Years Ago

The sirens ring loud as I run through the south Georgia woods. The Bloodhounds pick up my scent as they bay in the moonlight night. I'm Carl Lucas and I've been planning my escape for three years. I run to the edge of the woods and see a brown muck filled swamp. Freedom's a Mutha F##ker.

Atlanta, Georgia

Three Days Later

I stroll into the homeless shelter with a baseball cap covering my eyes. I've been on the run for three days nowand had to rob a homeless man of his clothes. The women at the soup line smile as they give me something that looks like what that B##ch in the Exorcist was throwing up, but grub is grub.

I sit down at the far end of one of the cafeteria style tables and start to chow down on what I hope is pea soup. Just then an older black woman sits down across the table from me.

"Is the soup good Mister Lucas?"

My head snaps up and I look at her suspicously.

"Who the F##k are you? I ain't going back to jail B##ch!"

She smiles a soft smile at me.

"No, Mister Lucas I'm intrested in you for an entirely diffrent reason, but could you please watch the language?"

"Like what?"

She pulls a buisness card out of her purse and hands it to me.

"I'm Amanda Waller and the goverment is very intrested in you Mister Lucas."

Undisclosed Location, Brazil
Six Months Ago

"Is that all you got? Man you hit like a b*tch!"

I take a roundhouse kick to the face and laugh.

"HAHAHAHA! Damn Amanda, This stuff works good."

I'm standing out in the jungle while a big meaty guy tries to wail on me, Amanda Waller and some other scientist watch and take notes.

"Okay Mr. Cage, Try to attack him."

Mr. Cage, a new name change as well as these new powers.

I grab the meaty guy by the arm and throw him through the air, he lands with a thub and screams about a broken finger.

"I think I'm ready to go, what do I have to do know?"

Amanda looks at me and says softly.

"Now, We wait."

Washington DC
Present Day

I'm riding in the back of a S.W.A.T. van with Amanda on our way to the White House.

"Okay our intel says that a kryptonian named Zod has taken claim to the attacks in Chicago and the one called Superman is there right now, We want you to assist Superman and show the world what you can do."

I smile and look down at my outfit.

"So what's my name anyway?"

She thinks about it for a minute before answering.

"Power Man."

"Power man huh? I like it."

The back of the S.W.A.T. van opens and I step out and make my way to the White House front lawn. I put my sunglasses on my face and yell.

"YO ZOD!"

LukeCage-NewAvengers.jpg

"Sup?"

byrd_man said:
The back of the S.W.A.T. van opens and I step out and make my way to the White House front lawn. I put my sunglasses on my face and yell.

"YO ZOD!"

LukeCage-NewAvengers.jpg

"Sup?"

The General broke his gaze from Kal-El for a moment, and could not believe what he saw. This....Earth-man...was either insane, or simply more stupid than the rest of his kind. Zod sized him up, focusing on the alien with his X-Ray vision. His body tissues were far more dense than the average of his species, as his skin alone was difficult to pierce with his enhanced vision. Zod presumed this meant enhanced strength and durability, but it didn't matter. An inferior, no matter how far above his ilk, was still an inferior. The General let out a low chuckle.

"So, the mighty Superman is too much of a coward to face me alone? He must bring along a loud-mouthed imbecile? Tell me, Kal-El, is this Earth-man some sort of pet you bring along to your battles? Is he supposed to be some sort of diversion?"

Zod's voice lowered to a growl.

"Or is he just a willing victim, ready to die in your name?"

The General turned and faced the human.

"Earth-man, I do not know who you think you are, nor do I care. The only one who has to die today is your 'Superman.' I suggest you take advantage of that fact, before I decide whether I should break you in half or incinerate you."

Andy C. said:
The General broke his gaze from Kal-El for a moment, and could not believe what he saw. This....Earth-man...was either insane, or simply more stupid than the rest of his kind. Zod sized him up, focusing on the alien with his X-Ray vision. His body tissues were far more dense than the average of his species, as his skin alone was difficult to pierce with his enhanced vision. Zod presumed this meant enhanced strength and durability, but it didn't matter. An inferior, no matter how far above his ilk, was still an inferior. The General let out a low chuckle.

"So, the mighty Superman is too much of a coward to face me alone? He must bring along a loud-mouthed imbecile? Tell me, Kal-El, is this Earth-man some sort of pet you bring along to your battles? Is he supposed to be some sort of diversion?"

Zod's voice lowered to a growl.

"Or is he just a willing victim, ready to die in your name?"

The General turned and faced the human.

"Earth-man, I do not know who you think you are, nor do I care. The only one who has to die today is your 'Superman.' I suggest you take advantage of that fact, before I decide whether I should break you in half or incinerate you."

"Please, You must not know who I am. I'm Power Man Mutha ****er!"

I run at Zod as fast as I can and crash into him.

Zod stumbled backwards as the Earth-man charged into him. He had intended to let the alien simply break its own bones with such clumsy methods of attack, but to his surprise, this "Power Man" actually managed to knock him off guard. Zod actually felt it!

As the Kryptonian regained his footing, he felt intense heat building up behind his retinas. This was no longer amusing to him, and intended to make it know. Through the lenses of his helmet, a glowing red light began to emit outwards, as Zod charged his heat vision.

"Earth-Man....

Zod let loose a powerful blast of his heat vision, its scarlet beams catching Power Man in the chest.

"....DIE."

Andy C. said:
Zod stumbled backwards as the Earth-man charged into him. He had intended to let the alien simply break its own bones with such clumsy methods of attack, but to his surprise, this "Power Man" actually managed to knock him off guard. Zod actually felt it!

As the Kryptonian regained his footing, he felt intense heat building up behind his retinas. This was no longer amusing to him, and intended to make it know. Through the lenses of his helmet, a glowing red light began to emit outwards, as Zod charged his heat vision.

"Earth-Man....

Zod let loose a powerful blast of his heat vision, its scarlet beams catching Power Man in the chest.

"....DIE."

The heat strikes me dead in my heart, I fall down and breath heavily. If not for my upgrades he would have melted my lungs and heart. My shirt catches fire as I rip it off.

Okay I can't attack him straight up but I can use long range attacks.

I scan the area for anything I can use when I see it. An empty army jeep, I rush over while Zod watches Superman and pick up the jeep and hurl it at Zod with all my might.

"Let's see how good you fight with a tire stuck up your ass."

byrd_man said:
The heat strikes me dead in my heart, I fall down and breath heavily. If not for my upgrades he would have melted my lungs and heart. My shirt catches fire as I rip it off.

Okay I can't attack him straight up but I can use long range attacks.

I scan the area for anything I can use when I see it. An empty army jeep, I rush over while Zod watches Superman and pick up the jeep and hurl it at Zod with all my might.

"Let's see how good you fight with a tire stuck up your ass."

"No, thank you."

The General swatted the oncoming vehicle aside with the back of his hand, launching it hundreds of feet away. Zod was earnestly surprised that the human was able to survive his heat vision. If he had used its full power, the situation may have been different, but the Earth-man displayed an annoying resolve to live.

Zod rose from the ground and charged towards Power Man, flying low to the ground at blinding speed. The air around him rippled as a sonic boom generated in his wake. With so much momentum, the Kryptonian could easily take Power Man's head off with a single blow, or splatter him across a nearby wall. However, Zod wanted to make sure that the human knew how much of a mistake it was to envoke his ire.

As Power Man braced himself for the impact, Zod instead slammed his fist into the ground in front of him, generating a shockwave that sent the Earth-Man flying into the air. Before the pull of gravity could bring the human down, the General flew up behind him, hooking an arm through Power Man's underarm and around his neck. His hands clasped together, applying pressure on the human's jugular.

"One of the very basics of being a General, Earth-man, is mastering the art of combat, in all of its forms. Your power may be great compared to the other apes, but your training needs work; you fight like a commoner."

Zod increased the pressure.

"Struggle, and I break your neck."

(OOC:Visual aide:

SMimage.jpg
)

Andy C. said:
"No, thank you."

The General swatted the oncoming vehicle aside with the back of his hand, launching it hundreds of feet away. Zod was earnestly surprised that the human was able to survive his heat vision. If he had used its full power, the situation may have been different, but the Earth-man displayed an annoying resolve to live.

Zod rose from the ground and charged towards Power Man, flying low to the ground at blinding speed. The air around him rippled as a sonic boom generated in his wake. With so much momentum, the Kryptonian could easily take Power Man's head off with a single blow, or splatter him across a nearby wall. However, Zod wanted to make sure that the human knew how much of a mistake it was to envoke his ire.

As Power Man braced himself for the impact, Zod instead slammed his fist into the ground in front of him, generating a shockwave that sent the Earth-Man flying into the air. Before the pull of gravity could bring the human down, the General flew up behind him, hooking an arm through Power Man's underarm and around his neck. His hands clasped together, applying pressure on the human's jugular.

"One of the very basics of being a General, Earth-man, is mastering the art of combat, in all of its forms. Your power may be great compared to the other apes, but your training needs work; you fight like a commoner."

Zod increased the pressure.

"Struggle, and I break your neck."

(OOC:Visual aide:

SMimage.jpg
)

I calmly breath in and out, he's got me in a tight spot, I feel my adam's apple catch on his arm as I inhale and exhale. Wait a minute did he call me an ape?

"What did you call me you rasict Mutha F**ker? No one calls me that."

I feel his hand slip a little as he becomes confused by my words. I know this is my one chance, I grab his arm and Judo-flip him onto the ground.

"Hey Superman, a little help would be apprecticated."

byrd_man said:
I calmly breath in and out, he's got me in a tight spot, I feel my adam's apple catch on his arm as I inhale and exhale. Wait a minute did he call me an ape?

"What did you call me you rasict Mutha F**ker? No one calls me that."

I feel his hand slip a little as he becomes confused by my words. I know this is my one chance, I grab his arm and Judo-flip him onto the ground.

"Hey Superman, a little help would be apprecticated."

An armored fist slammed hard into Power Man's ribs, sending the Earth-man reeling. Zod was back on his feet.

"Kal-El seems rather dazed, does he not? Perhaps the ghosts of Chicago are still screaming in his brain." Underneath his helmet, the General smiled.

"As for you, Earth-man, I commend you. Of all the lowly inferiors on this wretched planet, you are the only one who has managed to actually raise my ire. I will deal with you soon enough, but my business here is with Kal-El, not with you. In the meanwhile, perhaps you can test the limits of your own durability..."

With that, Zod swooped towards his opponent, faster than the human could react. With one hand, he grabbed the Earth-man by the leg, and hurled him as hard as he could. As the rain poured down on the streets of Washington, the Kryptonian struggled to keep focused on Power Man as he quickly became a speck on the horizon.

Andy C. said:
An armored fist slammed hard into Power Man's ribs, sending the Earth-man reeling. Zod was back on his feet.

"Kal-El seems rather dazed, does he not? Perhaps the ghosts of Chicago are still screaming in his brain." Underneath his helmet, the General smiled.

"As for you, Earth-man, I commend you. Of all the lowly inferiors on this wretched planet, you are the only one who has managed to actually raise my ire. I will deal with you soon enough, but my business here is with Kal-El, not with you. In the meanwhile, perhaps you can test the limits of your own durability..."

With that, Zod swooped towards his opponent, faster than the human could react. With one hand, he grabbed the Earth-man by the leg, and hurled him as hard as he could. The Kryptonian watched contentedly as Power Man quickly became a speck on the horizon.

Zod breaks one of my ribs with his punch, then I'm flying through the air in a blur of colors. Something hits my back and then my arm breaks something made of stone, I land in a shallow pool of water.

"Goddamn!"

When I manage to stand up I'm in the reflecting pool and Zod sent me through the Lincoln Memorial and I decapitated our 16th president.

"Oh $hit son!"

I find Lincoln's head and place it near his feet.

"Sorry Abe, That bastard's gonna pay for making me cut off the great emancipator's head."

I slowly limp towards the direction of the white house.

(IC: Nick Fury)

"GOD DAMMIT!"

Nick Fury stormed into the main area of the Pentagon's War Room, fuming with anger.

"I told you stupid @$$holes NOT to directly engage Zod without my order! Now which one of you idiots went behind my back and sent an unregistered metahuman into the field?!?!"

The brass in the room were dead silent. Fury took a long look at every one of them, and it was clear to him that they weren't in on it. Which could only mean one thing....

Another S.H.I.E.L.D. operative finally spoke up.

"*Ahem*...Colonel Fury, sir. In order to ensure that Zod is neutralized, S.H.I.E.L.D. authorized the use of one of our products of Project Cadmus. Should Superman fail to stop Zod, the back-up plan was for Power Man to keep him at bay until..."

Fury grabbed the agent by the lapels and shook him.

"Until what, you stupid son of a b!tch?! In case you didn't notice, your 'Power Man' just got thrown halfway across the city! You'd better pray that Superman manages to stop that thing....unless you've got some more surprises for the man who's leading this goddamned operation."

The Colonel shoved the agent down, and took a long drag from his cigarette.

"And you idiots wonder why I quit."

SuperFerret said:
They all come barging into my workshop, wanting me to do something, anything, for them. I'm no leader, yeah, this team idea was mine, but who said I wanted to be the leader? Did I? I don't remember. Not that I remember much lately anyway, I'm always drunk nowadays. Being drunk gets me depressed, being depressed makes me drink, and I know that I'm gonna lose Dinah to that jackass Queen anyway, so why fight it? That's why I came down here, to drink my sorrows away, but not even my PRIVATE workshop gave me privacy from them. The empty bottle rolls out of my hand to smash on the floor.

"You wanna know what I think, Jay?" I say, not facing them, my voice slurring, "I think you should go f**k off, and leave me alone!"

I stand, wheeling around quickly, my face twisted in drunken anger.

"Get out of here! All of you! Now!" I yell, pointing at the door. "Go kill yourselves fighting this Zod! See if I care!"

I slump back down into my seat, holding my head in my hands.

"Get out."

Ted clinches his fists and steps towards Tony, but I put a hand on his chest to hold him back. I don't know what he and Dinah were talking about. I don't know what's happened while I was down. But I'm going to find out.

"Where is this coming from Tony? What happened to you? Is it the booze?" I ask, pointing at the bottle. "I may not know you as well as I want, but this doesn't seem like you at all. I don't think you mean it."

Tony looks away, but I don't let him off that easy. "Look at me." He doesn't. I grab the front of his shirt and pull him up. "I said look at me!" His eyes finally meet mine.

"Is it Chicago? Is that what's gotten to you? Is it all the lives we couldn't save?" He looks away again. "Dammit, I said LOOK. AT. ME! What about all the lives we did save? All those people who went on the next day, and the next day. Who are living right now because of us."

"You don't have to stand by Superman, Tony, but don't let this group fall before it even starts."

IC: Superman

It all happens too fast for me to contemplate. Zod's command for me to kneel before him. The arrival of this... "Power Man", I think, he called himself. Zod's taunts to me, before partaking in battle with him. Their fight.

No. This shouldn't be happening. None of this... Zod shouldn't be allowed to claim another victim. I came here to end the suffering, and now Zod seeks to repeat it infront of me.

Andy C. said:

My eyes narrow, as I feel the heat's pressure build up in my retinas. That is where he crossed the line. No more games... Flash was right. It wouldn't be worth it just to surrender to him. I step forward, ready to unleash a heat vision attack, when Zod throws Power Man into the air. My eyes widen, as the heat fades.

NO...

I turn, following Power Man with my eyes as I use my x-ray vision to make sure he's okay. Aside from breaking the Lincoln Memorial, He seems to be still alive, as he crawls out of the pool infront of it. Oh no... He's coming back...

Maybe I was wrong. Perhaps the only way to end this is surrendering, now. I focus the heat in my eyes, as I shoot a massive blast at the ground between Zod and myself.

benes_superman_2.jpg

"ENOUGH!"

Everyone pauses, looking at me, as the heat fades. I stare at Zod, teeth gritting as I step forward.

"No more death, Zod! Not here, not anywhere! I will not allow it!"

I stop, as a frown graces my face.

"I'll kneel before you."

- - -

The Daily Planet, Metropolis
An hour earlier

Perry White stares out of the window to his office, surveying the massive view of the city infront of him. The city where, he thinks, Superman made his home. He turns, listening to the news report as it tells of Zod's demands on the White House lawn, and Superman's arrival to the scene. He can't look at it. He can't watch the man who protected this city fall to such an evil.

"Let me go, Perry."

He turns, looking as Lois Lane enters his office, the same look of dread and sadness on her face. Perry shakes his head.

"Forget it, Lois. It's too dangerous."

Lois steps forward, looking right into his eyes with the same firey determination that she had the first day she stepped into this office.

"That's never stopped me before. You know that."

"Neither did I. But I am now. The city's on a lockdown, and if you go there, I know exactly what you're going to do."

"No you don't."

"Yes I do. You're going to try and see him again. Worse, you're going to try and stand up to that Zod guy, like you did Luthor. And he'll kill you."

Lois scowls.

"And he'll kill Superman if I dont-"

"LOIS."

Lois' face goes soft, at that, as Perry turns to her.

"The answer is no."

She starts to say something, but eventually stops, and turns, heading for the door. But about halfway there, She pauses.

"You know what will happen."

Perry raises an eyebrow.

"What are you talking about?"

Lois turns.

"The Zod story. You know that someone else is going to report it."

Perry sighs.

"Damn it, Lane, don't do this..."

"Do what, exactly? You know what I just said is the truth. Hell, we may even get outscooped by The Bugle. And I know how much you hate them."

Perry looks at Lois, for a long moment.

"Think about it, Perry. Who broke the original Superman story to the world? Who deserves to break this one? Tommorow's headline shouldn't be about some chrome painted sky surfer, it should be the story we have a right to print. We earned it.", Lois says, before narrowing her eyes. "I earned it."

"It's not that I don't want the story."

Lois steps forward.

"Then let me cover it.", Lois says. Perry starts speak, but Lois interrupts. "I'm a big girl, I can handle myself."

Perry turns, looking at Metropolis, contemplating it. He looks back at Lois. The want... the need in her eyes is all that Perry needs to finally sway him in his decision.

"OLSEN!"

Jimmy Olsen peeks his head into the office.

"Yeah, Chief?"

Perry sits down at his desk.

"Get your camera ready. Lane needs a photographer to accompany her to Washington."

Lois grins. Jimmy's eyes widen.

"You won't regret this.", She says, excitedly.

"W-Washington? Where like, the two Superdudes are fighting?! WHERE I COULD GET KILLED?!?!"

Lois grabs him by the arm, rushing out of the office.

"So we'll bring a few extra tissues. You honestly want to miss this?", Lois asks, as the two enter the nearest elevator.

Perry watches them go, before looking back at Metropolis.

"I hope you're right, Lane. I hope I won't regret this..."

It was a long night of waiting. I hadn't spoken to either Dinah or Tony since the argument. I haven't even said more then a few words to Ted after he said he'd definitely be in Washington. Joan is worried about me as I sit in our room, brooding.

"Jay?"

"I'm going. And I'm not going to let him give up."

"That's not your decision."

I look at her, the pain of what I just witnessed in my eyes. "I just saw what happens when one of us gives up. I'm not going to let that, or worse, happen to Superman."

"I won't..."

I arrive in Washington just as Superman does. The military and press surrounding the event are too focused on the two Kryptonians to even notice me. Ted should be along soon, he had me leave without him, so I wait to see what happens.

And that is when Power Man shows up. He actually challenges Zod, and for a moment I wonder what this man can do to him. And then he knocks Zod back, and hope springs up for a moment. This may be the solution. If Power Man can stop Zod, then Superman does not have to make the decision. And if he can weaken Zod, the maybe Superman can stop the other Kryptonian.

But the Power Man fight doesn't last long as Zod sends him flying. And what little hope I had fades. I'm about to take off and see if Power Man is ok when Superman tears into the ground.

Master Bruce said:
"ENOUGH!"

Everyone pauses, looking at me, as the heat fades. I stare at Zod, teeth gritting as I step forward.

"No more death, Zod! Not here, not anywhere! I will not allow it!"

I stop, as a frown graces my face.

"I'll kneel before you."
I can only stand there in mild shock. I understand why he thinks surrendering is a good idea, but had been hoping he wouldn't. All I can quietly say is,

"...don't do it, son."

byrd_man said:
The two children look at me as Flash runs off.

"Okay kids I'll show you something really cool, follow me."

I lead them to where Jarvis placed my bags and show them a silver briefcase.

"Inside this box is a weapon hundreds of years old but, if used right. Can still be effective today."

I unflick the latches to reveal my bow. I hear the little boy whistle.

"Sweet, Can I hold it?"

I smile as I pick it up.

"Sorry kid, maybe in a few years, watch this."

With my bow in one hand I open up a small compartment under the suitcase to reveal about a dozen diffrent arrows, I pick up one with an exclemation mark on it and string it.

"Might want to put your fingers in your ears kiddos."

The little girl complies while the boy just watches me as I pull back on the string and aim for a vase on a table at the end of the hall. I let the arrow fly, It wizzes through the air and hits the vase with a small exsplosion that rocks the hallway.

"And that my dear children, is my nitro arrow."

The little boy doesn't seemed to be satisfied.

"What else you got Mr. Queen?"

I smile and open my arrow compartment to show them my favorite arrow.

"This arrow is made of some kind of meteorite my father found in Africa, he always loved archery and gave me this for my tenth birthday."

I pull the arrow out to reveal a dark green shaft accomponied by a green glowing arrow head.

"He always said that he loved this arrow and never shot it. There's some kind of radioactivity on it but it's not dangerous to people for some reason."

They stare at it in wonder when my cell phone rings.

"Hello Hello."

"Mr. Queen, this is Chip Latent at Queen Tech and we just called to tell you that all the office in Washington DC, has aquired minor damage from the fight."

Fight?

"What fight are you talking about Chip?"

"The fight between this Zod guy and Superman and that black guy. It's all over the news, there fighting on the white house lawn."

Looks like I may have to make an apperance.

"Sorry kids I got to go."

They thrown on frowns and pouty faces as I grab my gear and quietly head out the front door, the last thing I need it Stark taking my glory.

Later

"Thanks for the ride. Keep the change."

I give the cabby a hundred dollar bill as I get out down the road from the white house. I duck into some bushes and make my way silently towards Zod and Superman. Flash's joined the party now.

I pull a nitro arrow out of my quiver and string it, not pulling back.

"Now, I wait for my shot."

wiegeabo said:
Ted clinches his fists and steps towards Tony, but I put a hand on his chest to hold him back. I don't know what he and Dinah were talking about. I don't know what's happened while I was down. But I'm going to find out.

"Where is this coming from Tony? What happened to you? Is it the booze?" I ask, pointing at the bottle. "I may not know you as well as I want, but this doesn't seem like you at all. I don't think you mean it."

Tony looks away, but I don't let him off that easy. "Look at me." He doesn't. I grab the front of his shirt and pull him up. "I said look at me!" His eyes finally meet mine.

"Is it Chicago? Is that what's gotten to you? Is it all the lives we couldn't save?" He looks away again. "Dammit, I said LOOK. AT. ME! What about all the lives we did save? All those people who went on the next day, and the next day. Who are living right now because of us."

"You don't have to stand by Superman, Tony, but don't let this group fall before it even starts."

Dinah put her hand on Jay's arm. She couldn't handle this fighting, not this kinda give her a homocidal maniac anyday but not this. Especially not between two men she loved more than anything.

"Jay, put him down. Please." She said, making it more of a request than a question.

"Please leave." she said softly as she glanced at Tony. The two of them had lot's to talk about.

She waited for them to leave the room and kept herself from looking at Ted or Jay as they exited. The last thing she needed now was a lecture, even an unspoken one about the man she was about to marry.

She bent down and picked up a stray bottle, looking at it intently before placing it on the desk.

"Jay's wrong you know. This is you. It's a flaw in who you are and it holds you back." She paused as silence enveloped them, and took a seat in a chair nearby careful of the broken glass on the floor.

"I don't want you to be like this Tony and I know you don't either." She said looking at him. Even in his dishevaled and drunken stupor she wanted nothing mroe than to have him hold her anr tell her everything would be alright, but she was mature enough to realize that if anything it was her who'd be doing it.

She stood up and walked over to him, putting her arm around his waist as he just stood there, his face blank.

"Dinah, I..." He started, reacting to her touch. She shook her head.

"Not now, let's get you to bed, I'll have Jarvis bring you some food up." she said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"