"One Universe" RPG thread.

Master Bruce said:
"ENOUGH!"

Everyone pauses, looking at me, as the heat fades. I stare at Zod, teeth gritting as I step forward.

"No more death, Zod! Not here, not anywhere! I will not allow it!"

I stop, as a frown graces my face.

"I'll kneel before you."

Kal-El lowered to his knees, in the hopes that his sacrifice would convince Zod to stop. The General laughed, gloating in his triumph.

ZodRed2.jpg

"Yes, Kal-El, embrace your demise. It is the only way. Your inexplicable caring for these apes, these inferiors, is beyond me. You should be their GOD, and yet you choose to be their servant, and now, their martyr. Pathetic. You're every bit as weak as your father."

Zod puffed out his chest, proclaiming loudly to all in the area.

"Mark this day, Earthmen. And remember it, for it is the last day that your 'Superman' will ever come to save you. I need to attack no more, to kill no one else. Once my work here is done, I will take my leave of this wretched little planet. I will continue my vengeance upon the Council, and return to Krypton with Kal-El's head as my trophy!"

IC: Superman

Andy C. said:
Kal-El lowered to his knees, in the hopes that his sacrifice would convince Zod to stop. The General laughed, gloating in his triumph.

ZodRed2.jpg

"Yes, Kal-El, embrace your demise. It is the only way. Your inexplicable caring for these apes, these inferiors, is beyond me. You should be their GOD, and yet you choose to be their servant, and now, their martyr. Pathetic. You're every bit as weak as your father."

Zod puffed out his chest, proclaiming loudly to all in the area.

"Mark this day, Earthmen. And remember it, for it is the last day that your 'Superman' will ever come to save you. I need to attack no more, to kill no one else. Once my work here is done, I will take my leave of this wretched little planet. I will continue my vengeance upon the Council, and return to Krypton with Kal-El's head as my trophy!"

I raise my head, looking up at him, eyes locked on him as he finishes speaking. Wait. Krypton... lives? No, no it doesn't. I remember it's destruction vividly as my first memory, upon arrival on Earth. It is destroyed. And...

And he doesn't know that. I smile, somewhat. Maybe the day isn't lost after all.

"You won't be able to."

He looks down at me.

"Krypton was destroyed years ago. The entire planet's populance is dead. That's why I was sent to Earth in the first place. To preserve our race, and to protect the rest of the galaxy."

I stand, defiant of him. I'm no longer afraid of what he'll do. Because his plans just backfired on him.

339px-Superman_001.jpg

"Your quest for vengeance is a lost cause, Zod. There won't be any return. Any slaughtering. Nothing. You and I are the last of the Kryptonian race."

byrd_man said:
Zod breaks one of my ribs with his punch, then I'm flying through the air in a blur of colors. Something hits my back and then my arm breaks something made of stone, I land in a shallow pool of water.

"Goddamn!"

When I manage to stand up I'm in the reflecting pool and Zod sent me through the Lincoln Memorial and I decapitated our 16th president.

"Oh $hit son!"

I find Lincoln's head and place it near his feet.

"Sorry Abe, That bastard's gonna pay for making me cut off the great emancipator's head."

I slowly limp towards the direction of the white house.

I make my way through the crowds of onl ookers, people from the press yell at me.

"Mr. Cage! Ben Urich, Daily Bugle. How far did you go?"

"Power Man! Vicki Vale. What did it feel like to be punched by Zod?"

I ignore both there voices and step through the polic blockade. One military officer salutes me. I smile a little and return his salute, cameras snap behind me and flash bulbs fill the air like lightning.

"At ease."

He let's me pass and I start to walk up the white house lawn. I think about how Zod shouldn't be faced head on so I go the stealthy route, sneaking through the bushes when I hit something.

"Ow! What the *****?"

there's a man hiding in the bushes as well, he's dressed like Robin Hood and even has a bow and arrow in his hands.

I feel someone step on my foot. I look up to see a shirtless black man sneaking through the bushes.

"Who the hell are you?"

"They call me the Green Arrow, and you must be Power Man. Nice job stoping Zod, So did you have time to do a swan dive when you were up in the air?"

He rolls his eyes.

"Man shut up, so are you like them?"

He points out to Zod, Superman and Flash

"What do you mean like them? You mean special abilites? Nope I'm just a regular joe, but I can shoot a mean arrow."

So he's a regular guy. Well regular for two supermen and a guy who can run at the speed of light.

"So what's your powers, except for the super power to get your ass kicked."

He's funny, or a least he thinks he is.

"I could probably crush your head with my left hand."

He doesn't seemed too impressed.

"Yeah yeah, hey do me a favor. Reach in my quiver and pull out another nitro arrow, I have a feeling this Zod guy won't go down after one."

I reach into the little bac on his back an look around.

"Which one is---"

I stop when I see one of his arrows with a glowing green tip.

"What is this?"

I pull the arrow out and show it to him.

"Huh? What about it?"

Master Bruce said:
"Krypton was destroyed years ago. The entire planet's populance is dead. That's why I was sent to Earth in the first place. To preserve our race, and to protect the rest of the galaxy."
Part of me wishes Superman had never said that. If Zod believed Krypton was still thriving, he would have traveled there. Possibly leaving Earth in peace. And if he ever did return out of anger for being tricked, we could be ready for him.

Then another part of me remembers that Zod would probably only leave Earth if he had Superman's head on a platter.

So, really, there was no other choice.

I step out from the military crowd, letting Superman know that I'm with him all the way. And in the distance I spot Ted, in the costume he hadn't worn for years, crouched on a low roof, ready to help out with damage control. I can't help but smile as he throws a little salute my way.

Now if the only the others show up...

Master Bruce said:

I raise my head, looking up at him, eyes locked on him as he finishes speaking. Wait. Krypton... lives? No, no it doesn't. I remember it's destruction vividly as my first memory, upon arrival on Earth. It is destroyed. And...

And he doesn't know that. I smile, somewhat. Maybe the day isn't lost after all.

"You won't be able to."

He looks down at me.

I stand, defiant of him. I'm no longer afraid of what he'll do. Because his plans just backfired on him.

339px-Superman_001.jpg

"Your quest for vengeance is a lost cause, Zod. There won't be any return. Any slaughtering. Nothing. You and I are the last of the Kryptonian race."

Kal-El's words shocked Zod to the core. He was speechless, and visibly shaking as the weight of the revelation struck him. The Mother World...gone? It was impossible! Surely this was some sort of trick!

Zod looked at Kal-El, and saw no trace of deception in his eyes. Jor-El was a fool and a lunatic, but he was never a liar. There was no reason to believe his son would be different.

The General staggered backwards, delerious. The true gravity of this began to dawn on him: even now that he was free from his imprisonment in the Phantom Zone, there was no home for him. Never again would he look upon the gleaming towers of Argo City, or scale the peaks of the Jewel Mountains. Never again would he watch proudly as his followers braved the wilderness of the Scarlet Jungle, or run pogroms through the ghettoes of Kandor. Krypton....his Krypton....was no more.

General Zod sunk to the ground, and now it was him who found himself kneeling. His every thought, his every action, literally every moment of his life from the day Jor-El had placed him in the Phantom Zone, was now meaningless.

"It cannot be....it cannot....be....over....."

Zod's hands clenched into fists, shaking with fury. In his deranged state, Zod had come to a realization.

"Jor-El...."

Andy C. said:
"Jor-El...."

The General began to laugh. Just as one plan died, another began.
I step back from the force of the shout.

This cannot be good...

wiegeabo said:
I step back from the force of the shout.

This cannot be good...

"Kal-El, your father was a fool and a weakling, and his greatest weakness was that he was soft at heart. Like you, he cared more about those who were beneath him. I remember vividly, his emotional outbursts at those he wished to 'help' when they dismissed his theories of Krypton's end. If what you say is true, and you and I are truly the Mother World's only survivors, then it means Jor-El would have sent you prepared. Not only for survival, but....colonization."

"The crystaline technology around which our cities are built, around which our ships are constructed, around which our civilization lives...or perhaps lived....was originally intended for adapting hostile environments. If Jor-El intended for our civilization to live on, he doubtlessly sent much of that technology with you. Controller crystals for your ship, seeds for growing Kryptonian landmasses....who knows? Perhaps he even put the BrainIAC computer in there with you.

"You should be glad, Kal-El. Since there is no way for my own quest to be fulfilled, I shall now make sure your father's comes to fruition. I will find the technology your father left you, wherever you may have hidden it, and build n this world a New Krypton! And to ensure the purity of the new Mother World...I am going to kill every living thing on this planet first."

I look down at the arrow my father gave me when I turned ten and think back to that day......

"Ollie, Son I have something for you."

I look up to see dad come walking in with something behind his back.

"Oh boy, what is it dad?"

"Now I know I wasn't here for your birthday last week but I think I've made up for it."

He pulls an arrow out behind his, I look at the emerald shaft and the glowing green tip.

"This arrowhead is made out of a meteor I found last month in Africa, I know how much you like to shoot so I thought you would like it."

I hug my father before he gives me the arrow.

"Can we shoot it now?"

He laughs and rubs my head.

"Sure thing squirt, let me go get you bow."

"Hey Man! Did you hear me?"

I look up to see Power Man staring at me.

"Huh?"

"I said, I'll try to hold him down while you get in a good shot, with those Nitro arrows, It won't stop him but it'll slow him down."

I nod as Luke Cage emerges out of the bushes and quietly slips next to Flash.

"What's going on?"

Andy C. said:

"Kal-El, your father was a fool and a weakling, and his greatest weakness was that he was soft at heart. Like you, he cared more about those who were beneath him. I remember vividly, his emotional outbursts at those he wished to 'help' when they dismissed his theories of Krypton's end. If what you say is true, and you and I are truly the Mother World's only survivors, then it means Jor-El would have sent you prepared. Not only for survival, but....colonization."

"The crystaline technology around which our cities are built, around which our ships are constructed, around which our civilization lives...or perhaps lived....was originally intended for adapting hostile environments. If Jor-El intended for our civilization to live on, he doubtlessly sent much of that technology with you. Controller crystals for your ship, seeds for growing Kryptonian landmasses....who knows? Perhaps he even put the BrainIAC computer in there with you.

"You should be glad, Kal-El. Since there is no way for my own quest to be fulfilled, I shall now make sure your father's comes to fruition. I will find the technology your father left you, wherever you may have hidden it, and build n this world a New Krypton! And to ensure the purity of the new Mother World...I am going to kill every living thing on this planet first."

I'm not exactly sure when it happens, but all of the sudden, the heat behind my retinas burns stronger and faster than it ever has, as I try to hold it back as much as possible. But in the place of my heat vision lies an unfathomed anger at his statement that I would've never thought possible. My fists are clenched. My teeth are grit. I can feel my muscles tightening as I breathe, once, trying to get rid of it... and failing to do so.

He's crossed the one line that I will not tolerate.

My feet levitate off of the ground, as I cross my arms, floating between his towering height and the people of Earth. He speaks of a world that I was spawned from, and making this into that same place. But to fill his needs, He's vowed to exterminate the human race. The race that raised me, and built me into the man I am today... not only as Clark Kent, but Superman aswell... and he wants to destroy it as if it were nothing.

Not today. Not on my planet.

"I'm afraid I cannot allow you to do that."

I narrow my eyes, as serious as I've ever been, trying my absolute best to hold myself from killing him where he stands for such an insult to my very being. He doesn't want to act for the people of Krypton. He wants to rule. And that is where I stop being rational.

superstance.jpg

"You've already slaughtered millions. You've ended many lives undeserving of the fate that you forced upon them. And now you want to exterminate humankind for nothing more than to fill your sick desire for power and conquest."

I hear the voices behind me. One of Power Man. The other of The Flash, who arrived here just as he promised. These people, among others, are the reason I'm about to do this. Because they've given me something I thought that I already knew plenty of: They've given me hope for the human race.

And Zod isn't about to take that away from them. I won't let him.

"Well, Zod... I'm going to make this as simple as possible. If you want to kill humankind... You're going to have to kill me first."

The time for holding back is over. It's time I became serious... and showed Zod just how 'pathetic' I really am. For my heritage. For my adopted planet.

For my fellow people.

Superman23.jpg

"And I swear to you, that is a task far easier spoken than accomplished.", I state, letting the moment sink in.

It's time this came to an end, once and for all.

Not even letting him get a response in, I fly forward at the fastest speed I've traveled yet, driving my fist into his armored face as hard I can. It knocks him into the air with me as we both hit the skies, beginning a battle that may very well go down in history.

Usually, I'd hold back my punches. I know how dangerous my strength can truly be. But now? Forget it. No more beating around the bush. I'm giving it my all. And in the back of my mind, I know it fully well...

That there's only going to be one of us standing, when this is over.

I can't help but smile as the first blow lands. The air explodes with the sound of the force behing that punch, but I had already shifted myself faster to keep up with Superman's movements, so the sound barely registers.

And even shifted up in speed I can barely keep up with the fight. I shift myself higher, my fists clinching in rage. This man...this monster has vowed to kill everything and everyone I hold dear. Everyone I love. The thought of losing Dinah, of losing Joan...it's all I can do not to join the battle. But I hold back, just barely. This is Superman's fight...

...for now.

Master Bruce said:

I'm not exactly sure when it happens, but all of the sudden, the heat behind my retinas burns stronger and faster than it ever has, as I try to hold it back as much as possible. But in the place of my heat vision lies an unfathomed anger at his statement that I would've never thought possible. My fists are clenched. My teeth are grit. I can feel my muscles tightening as I breathe, once, trying to get rid of it... and failing to do so.

He's crossed the one line that I will not tolerate.

My feet levitate off of the ground, as I cross my arms, floating between his towering height and the people of Earth. He speaks of a world that I was spawned from, and making this into that same place. But to fill his needs, He's vowed to exterminate the human race. The race that raised me, and built me into the man I am today... not only as Clark Kent, but Superman aswell... and he wants to destroy it as if it were nothing.

Not today. Not on my planet.

"I'm afraid I cannot allow you to do that."

I narrow my eyes, as serious as I've ever been, trying my absolute best to hold myself from killing him where he stands for such an insult to my very being. He doesn't want to act for the people of Krypton. He wants to rule. And that is where I stop being rational.

superstance.jpg

"You've already slaughtered millions. You've ended many lives undeserving of the fate that you forced upon them. And now you want to exterminate humankind for nothing more than to fill your sick desire for power and conquest."

I hear the voices behind me. One of Power Man. The other of The Flash, who arrived here just as he promised. These people, among others, are the reason I'm about to do this. Because they've given me something I thought that I already knew plenty of: They've given me hope for the human race.

And Zod isn't about to take that away from them. I won't let him.

"Well, Zod... I'm going to make this as simple as possible. If you want to kill humankind... You're going to have to kill me first."

The time for holding back is over. It's time I became serious... and showed Zod just how 'pathetic' I really am. For my heritage. For my adopted planet.

For my fellow people.

Superman23.jpg

"And I swear to you, that is a task far easier spoken than accomplished.", I state, letting the moment sink in.

It's time this came to an end, once and for all.

Not even letting him get a response in, I fly forward at the fastest speed I've traveled yet, driving my fist into his armored face as hard I can. It knocks him into the air with me as we both hit the skies, beginning a battle that may very well go down in history.

Usually, I'd hold back my punches. I know how dangerous my strength can truly be. But now? Forget it. No more beating around the bush. I'm giving it my all. And in the back of my mind, I know it fully well...

That there's only going to be one of us standing, when this is over.

The sound was a deafening boom, drowning out the thunder in the stormy skies. The shockwave shattered windows, knocked many of the American soldiers off of their feet. The sheer force of the blow sent the Rogue Son of Krypton tumbling upwards into the air...

....Zod had never been hit that hard in his life.

His armored suit, made of nearly-impenetrable Kryptonium alloys, was able to absorb most of the actual impact, but even then, it rattled every bone in the General's body. His head spun and his stomach lurched, as he spun ever upwards, still disoriented.

Kal-El launched himself into the air as well, hoping to press on the attack. Even with his tremendous speed, he was having difficulty catching up with his foe, who climbed higher and higher in his dazed state. The two Kryptonians broke through the clouds themselves, heading into the stratosphere, before Zod was able to regain his bearings.

As Superman approached for a second strike, the General kept him at bay with a blast of his heat vision.

"You...you dare presumer to lecture me, boy?! You know nothing about the glory of the Mother World, or what lengths I would go to preserve it. I spent my entire life knees-deep in the dead and the dying, so that fools like your father can sit idly and desecrate my name! They took their world for granted, never knowing the horrors it took to keep their paradise. My armada burned entire worlds and cleansed them of life, so that Krypton would survive. I have no more fleet, but I would still kill this world, so that Krypton would live again."

The General, now fully in control of his flight, shot towards Kal-El, beams of scarlet blasting forth from his eyes. Superman was ready for him, and let loose with heat vision of his own.

As they met in the sky, the two remaining sons of Krypton rained down upon each other with blows that would shatter mountains.

superman176.jpg

The Kryptonians launch into the air and beyond the clouds in no time. The military personel just look up, weapons drawn, and confusion on their faces. The only signs of fighting are sounds that could be thunder and red flashes that are definitely not lightning.

I look around at the congregation of soldiers, then back at the sky. This is not going to be pretty.

I rush around the group, looking at all the personel I can. GeneralgeneralgeneralThere'sgottobeageneralThisistooimportantfortherenottobeagenerYES!!!

I stop right infront of the General. He immediately steps back in surprise and I hear a number of guns point at my head. A rather large number.

"Who the **** are you?!?" the general demands.

"The Flash, sir. You've got to move your men back!"

"Who the hell do you think you are? I don't have to do a goddamned thing except protect this country!" He snaps his fingers. "Take this man away."

Two men grabs my arms and start dragging me back, but I just phase and slip through their arms. The men are too shocked to do anything. "I'm just a speedster, sir," I say to the leader of these men, "and you're men won't be able to touch me. I can't even guess at the kinds of powers those two men have. What do you think your men will be able to do against them?" I point to the sky. "Do you see that?"

The general looks up. "See what?"

"Exactly. This battle isn't going to be confined by any boundaries. If you don't pull your men back to a safe distance and give us enough room to fight, one of three things will happen. One: Your men will be caught in the crossfire of the battle and probably be wiped out. Two: You'll open fire, which will probably do nothing but endanger yourselves and civilains."

"The third?"

"Both will happen."

He looks down, then up at the sky again, contemplating my words. "CAPTAIN!"

"Sir!" a younger man says, snaping to attention.

The general looks at me again. "...Have the men pull back. Take up positions a half mile away. Have the capital buildings evacuated. I don't care if the President wants to stay or not. The Secret Service will convince him to leave. If not, get Nick Fury to convince him."

"F-Fury, sir?"

"That's right, he's back at S.H.I.E.L.D. He'll get the President to move his ass."

"Sir!" the captain says, saluting. He dashes off, shouting orders into his radio. Within seconds the troops begin moving back.

"Thank you general."

He just nods. "I won't sacrifice my men in a hopeless battle. You just better make damn sure you can stop Zod."

I look back at the widening area where the battle started. "I won't stop until I fall."

I walk into the clearing and look up into the sky, the rain beating on my face, my fists clinching with anger. "I promise..."

Andy C. said:
"You...you dare presumer to lecture me, boy?! You know nothing about the glory of the Mother World, or what lengths I would go to preserve it. I spent my entire life knees-deep in the dead and the dying, so that fools like your father can sit idly and desecrate my name! They took their world for granted, never knowing the horrors it took to keep their paradise. My armada burned entire worlds and cleansed them of life, so that Krypton would survive. I have no more fleet, but I would still kill this world, so that Krypton would live again."

The General, now fully in control of his flight, shot towards Kal-El, beams of scarlet blasting forth from his eyes. Superman was ready for him, and let loose with heat vision of his own.

As they met in the sky, the two remaining sons of Krypton rained down upon each other with blows that would shatter mountains.

superman176.jpg

His heatvision blast... I... I've never been hit by my own powers before. I can feel it burn into my flesh irregardless of my past invulnerability to heat. Clearly, He's not going to be the easiest opponent I've ever faced. It's like I'm fighting me... only a me that won't hold back... one that isn't afraid to unleash his power to it's fullest potential.

I can't allow him to get any good shots in. They could cost me the battle. Have to keep up... Have to keep fighting... relentless... can't hold back...

We look at eachother, eyes blazing as our individual heat rays lock into eachother, creating a glow infront of us. I try to press harder... But he keeps pushing back. It isn't long before the force of the blasts send us both back, floating backwards into the air. The only thing that seperate us are clouds, as I realise we're more than a few miles above the ground.

I breathe, once, letting this small moment of shock allow me some time to get something off of my chest...

"I've heard all about your 'preservation'. About the war crimes you committed when you tried to take control of Krypton's entire populance. About your disregard for both kryptonian life and the lives of the universe around it. And ever since that day that you slaughtered those innocents in Chicago, I've been waiting to say this..."

I fly forward, punching him across the face.

"YOU-"

I spin, connecting my other fist to his face.

"ARE-"

I raise and connect both my hands, before slamming them down onto his head.

"A MONSTER!"

The heat swells behind my eyes again, as I fire the single largest blast that I've ever dared create onto his floating body below me, sending him downards, past a few clouds.

I fly down, using every ounce of speed and energy at my disposal, as I catch up to his descent, grab his foot, and pull, throwing him back up into the air, and connecting a hard uppercut as he passes me in ascension.

I...

Wow. That I didn't expect out of me.

I fly upwards. Doesn't matter. Keep going, Clark... Keep wearing him down. Don't give him the chance he's looking for...

A crimson streak tore across the sky, pursued by a comet of blue and red. General Zod was again reeling, sailing through the air from the power of Kal-El's blows. As he regained his bearings, the General was overcome with rage. Twice now, he had been dominated by this whelp, humiliated. This would not do.

As Superman closed in, Zod suddenly changed direction, flying now under his own power again. He whipped through the air, making a sharp loop, and coming up from behind on Kal-El. Before the son of Jor-El could react, Zod brought his armored fists into Superman's back, driving up from under his ribs and into his vitals. The General wasted no time in pressing on the attack, spinning Kal-El around with his left hand, and then slamming a thunderous right hook into his throat.

The air rippled from the shockwave, and a sonic boom followed Superman as he streaked down through the clouds, plummeting towards the earth. Zod followed him down, closing the gap between himself and his enemy and clasping both of his hands together. As the two drew nearer and nearer to the ground, the General brought his fists down once more, landing a crushing blow across Superman's spine.

Superman slammed into the street, and the impact shattered the windows of surrounding buildings, sent debris flying in all directions, and shattered the pavement for hundreds of feet all around. The noise was almost as if a bomb had gone off, and the destruction was very much the same.

Zod slowed his own descent, gracefully landing at the edge of the crater where Kal-El had landed. The General was genuinely surprised as he saw his foe still moving, slowly standing up in the pit. His durability was incredible, but it did not matter. Zod possessed the power to destroy him, and he intended very much to do so.

"Monster, am I?" Zod asked as he stepped down into the crater. "Yes, I suppose from the eyes of snivelling idealists like your father and yourself, I must be. I hold no illusions about what I do, or why I do it. I knowingly commit genocide, all in the name of peace and order, and those of you who have never known war cannot understand it.

"I do not care for the writings of these Earth-men, but I have found one particular saying that I think would be rather appropriate for our little situation. I believe it was the one called Nietzche who said 'battle ye not with monsters, lest ye become a monster...and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Zod grabbed Superman by the neck, and hands that could crush coal into diamond clamped down on his windpipe.

"Look into my eyes, Kal-El, look at your 'monster,' and see if the abyss is looking back, if you yourself are not a monster as well. You could have simply laid down and died to save these apes, and you instead choose to fight. If you truly did care for them, you would surrender, you would give in...you would Kneel before Zod!"

Zod3_DC_DCU_Act_b.jpg

I see it just moments before it happens. I rush towards the street in which they will come down shouting for everyone to clear out of the area. Before they can even start moving, the Kryptonians impact.

At superspeed, it's an odd sight to see. The two figure hit the ground and enter into it. Then the ground begins to ripple like a wave when a pebble is dropped into water. A few moments later, the deafening sound of their fall and impact hits us. It is just at that point the ground explodes in concentric circles as the ripple continues onward.

The force of the impact and wind generated by it slams into all of us. Me, the troops in the area, the civilains, the buildings. Windows are blasted into shards, cars go flying, people are lifted into the air and slammed into objects or unceremoniously dropped by the winds onto the ground.

In just a few seconds, it's all over except the dust in the air. I was lucky to phase through the worst of it, but no one else was. I look around and see the damage, the injured, the smoke. And then I see Chicago. The damage, the injured, the smoke. The flashback is made all the more real because even the dust smells the same.

Andy C. said:
"Monster, am I?" Zod asked as he stepped down into the crater. "Yes, I suppose from the eyes of snivelling idealists like your father and yourself, I must be. I hold no illusions about what I do, or why I do it. I knowingly commit genocide, all in the name of peace and order, and those of you who have never known war cannot understand it.

"I do not care for the writings of these Earth-men, but I have found one particular saying that I think would be rather appropriate for our little situation. I believe it was the one called Nietzche who said 'battle ye not with monsters, lest ye become a monster...and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Zod grabbed Superman by the neck, and hands that could crush coal into diamond clamped down on his windpipe.

"Look into my eyes, Kal-El, look at your 'monster,' and see if the abyss is looking back, if you yourself are not a monster as well. You could have simply laid down and died to save these apes, and you instead choose to fight. If you truly did care for them, you would surrender, you would give in...you would Kneel before Zod!"

My face contorts with fury. I can't think straight anymore. I see that...monster killing Superman, ready to kill us all.

No more, dammit! NO. MORE!!!

A red blur streaks by the Kryptonians. I pick up speed, putting everything I have into. Land and water slip by beneath me almost faster then even I can understand. I've done this once before, but I never had this much speed the last time. Soemthing about Chicago, maybe how hard I pushed myself, maybe the coma, but something about it changed me. And I'm going to use it.

Only a couple of seconds after leaving, my red blur returns. I pull back my fist, feeling the energy around it growing exponentially.

And at the right moment, I drive my fist forward and deliver an Infinite Mass Punch right to Zod's damned chin!

The monster goes flying as I fall to my knees and skid along the ground. "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" I yell, my voice straining with the pain as a grab my wrist, all the bones in my hand pulverized by the blow.

<Luke Cage>

"Holy $hit!"

I watch as Superman and Zod duel and Flash pimp slap Zod.

Damn I'm outta my league here.

Green Arrow emerges out of the bushes.

"Help me with these people."

The casulties of Super duel are pretty heavy. destruction reigns all around.

"Let's get to it."

I lift a car off a man and help him up while Green Arrow puts out the fires with a fire exstinguishers he found in a car.

In this duel between gods the meer mortals were left to fend for themselves.

Me and Powerman save as many as we can when the National Guard and parmedics arrive on the scene with Firemen.

"Powerman, I think I've got this under control go help Flash and Superman any way you can."

A parmedic runs up to me.

"Do you know CPR?"

I nod.

"Yeah, I'll help out anyway I can."

I follow him to a unconscious victim and start to pump on his chest in a rythmic motion.

"One.....Two.....Three.....Four...."

I see Luke Cage head off into the direction of the fight. I pray he'll do more help than harm, atleast to everyone but Zod.

(IC: Nick Fury)

"Jesus Christ, what a mess." Fury watched the screens ahead of him with a look of shock. That in and of itself was something, since it was nearly impossible to surprise the Colonel anymore. The sheer power that Superman and Zod were throwing around, however, were something else entirely. It had been years since Nick Fury had considered anything to be out of his league, and it chilled him to the bone.

"What's the situation on evac, people?"

One of the National Guard commanders spoke up.

"One third of the civilian population is already en route out of the city. The rest are trying to dig in; I think they're scared to leave their homes, sir."

"Can't say I blame 'em, but the order stands. Get the civilians out. What about the big man?"

A Secret Service operative replied.

"The President is currently ten stories under, in one of the White House's reinforced bunkers. Should the situation call for it, the Secret Service will take him to the underground transport to Camp David."

"Right now there are two demigods and a human lightning bolt tearing up the city. I think the situation 'calls for it,' don't you?"

The agent said nothing.

"I want all troops to fall back to defensive positions. Do everything you can to prevent further civilian casualties, get the wounded to aid stations, and try to form a perimeter around the city to keep this **** contained. Of course, that's only if it's all okay with you, son."

Fury sneered at the other S.H.I.E.L.D. agent in the room, giving him a mock salute.

"Colonel Fury, sir, I agree completely that we cannot hope to end this crisis through conventional means," the agent said, "So I would advise we look to unconventional warfare. If the civilian casualties can be minimized, and all essential personnel are out of the city, we have Helicarriers in position to launch a tactical nuclear strike on the target."

Fury turned and stared at him, in utter disbelief in what he was hearing.

"Sir, I know it sounds unethical, but when you look at the risks we're taking here--"

The Colonel pulled a pistol from his shoulder holster and aimed it at the agent.

"You finish that line of bull**** and I'll put three rounds through your goddamned head. I'm giving the orders here, and we will not dispatch WMDs inside our own country. For God's sake, what the hell are they teaching you @$$holes now?"

Fury slowly placed his gun back in its place, and turned away from the agent in disgust.

"Tell the Helicarriers to stand down, but remain on alert. We may need to get involved, but we're not about to let this get worse. Right now, all we can do is hope Superman and his buddies there can get the job done. If not....then we'll talk nukes."

"Medic! Medic!" someone shouts. I say someone because I now it's not me. The pain in my hand is keeping me from making a sound or focusing on anything else. My fingers hand limply, my hand bent as if I had no bones left.

"Sir! Sir? Are you ok?" A young man kneels next to me as I just sit on my knees and hold my wrist. "Just hold on sir." he pulls something out of a pack and puts it against my neck. A rush of relief washes over me and the pain deadens.

For the first time in what feels like forever I exhale. "Wha-?"

"Morphine, sir."

I shake my head. "Metabolism...won't...last...long." Already the pain starts to return. The medic looks confused. "More. Much more!"

He fumbles about and takes two more out, injecting me. Then grabs another two and does it again. Finally the pain fades to almost nothing. "Thanks. Won't last long though. I heal fast. You need to-" the pain starts to return, "guide it." I grimace. "Set bones as they heal or-"

"Or your hand will be malformed. I understand. But it's going to hurt. A lot." I just look at him. "Yes, sir." He takes the last three shots out and injects me. "Ready sir?" he grabs my hand.

"Yes. And don't call sir. It makes me feel ol-AAAAAAGGHHHHH!!!!"

"Were losing him."

No, I won't let him die. I pump on his chest harder and count faster.

"One..Two..Three..Four."

"His pulse is fading."

The paramedic has his hand on the unconscious man's wrist.

"He's gone."

I hang my head and place my hands at my side.

"Dammit."

I see about six national guardsmen trying to move and overturned a jeep.

"Here, let me help."

With my help we easily turn it back over on its side. The air is deaftly quiet down here. I spot the Flash getting medical help and make my way to him.

"Nice punch man."

PainpainpainpainpainPAIN!!!!painpainpainPAAAIIINNN!!!painpain

"Almost done, si-Flash."

I can barely hear him. The blood in my ears blocks out everything else.

CRRRAAACK!

"AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!"

"That's...that's it Flash. You're done." He wipes sweat from his brow. "You'll need to get X-rayed as soon as possible though. They may need to break again if I didn't set it right."

The pain begins to fade. Now that my bones are back in order I can feel them knitting together like they should. I nod, a very weak smile on my face. The pain is still bad, but continues to lessen. "Th-thanks."

byrd_man said:
"Nice punch man."

I smile at the man, whoever he is. My eyes roll back and I pass...out...

H- Head spinning... need to gain... gain... footing...

My vision clears, as I look up, still dazed. The monster screamed into my face. My windpipe was nearly forced out of the back of my neck. Red... all I remember is red, before I dropped to the ground. I pull myself up, realising it... Flash. He was there when I confronted Zod on the White House. He's the only one who could've been there. But... What happened? Where did he go?

No. Better question. Where did Zod go?

As I climb out of the crater that Zod created with my body, I look around, seeing various paramedics. It's already taken a toll on them. I sigh, at the thought. Should've kept him in the air... If I even could've...

"HELP! SOMEBODY HELP US!"

I turn, as something catches my ear. Probably only my ear, as I listen for a second.

"OH GOD! THE ROOF! IT'S COLLAPSING!"

I use my x-ray vision and scan the area. Has to be a nearby building... The impact of my fall probably caused it. I look around, scanning every area that I can. And then, I spot them. A woman and a child, in a nearby apartment building. That roof... It definatley won't hold long...

Pushing off of the ground for momentum, I fly forward. The world becomes a blur around me, as I lock in on the building. I can make it if I keep moving...

- - -

Washington DC,
Currently

Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen's eyes slowly open. Their heads ache. They're barely even sure that they're alive. But the reality that they are becomes a devastating awakening the minute that they eye the street below. They are. But not for long, if a miracle doesn't happen.

They had both taken helicopter to the scene while Superman and Zod battled their way across the sky. Though not originally permitted, Lois decided to 'borrow' it in order to follow the two Kryptonian's acension. So sneaking onto one, they took to the skies, with Lois hoping to catch a glimpse of either, and Jimmy... well, not being as willing to. But for the sake of the possibility of a front-page, worldwide newsworthy shot, he decided to tag along anyway.

Neither knew exactly when it happened, but as they approached the inner city, something that could only be described as a sonic boom sent the helicopter off course, and sent them crashing into a billboard. In truth, the sonic boom was Superman hitting the pavement of a street near them... But neither had time to contemplate it, as they realised where they were now: Dangling nearly fifty feet off of the ground. Lois immediatley grabbed onto her seat, as she turned to Jimmy, who was more than aware of the situation, as he flailed and scrambled to get higher into the copter.

"Stop that, damn it! You're going to get us both killed!", Lois shouted.

"What, like following two of the most powerful beings on Earth while they butted heads wasn't going to get us killed?!", Jimmy shouted.

"..."

"THAT ISN'T THE POINT! Stop flailing!"

- - -

I lift the falling chunk of the roof above my head, allowing the mother and her child entrance to the stairs before the entire building can collapse.

supes_lift.jpg

"Go! Now!"

"DON'T HURT US!", the woman shouts.

I look over at her, confused. She seems more scared of me than the possibility of the roof collapsing. Luthor's doing. He claims to be working for the good of mankind, yet look at what kind of damage he's causing...

"GO! NOW!", I shout, continuing to lift it as she eventually complies, rushing past me with her child in her arms.

"T-Thankya, Supaman.", The little guy says, with a smile. I stare, for a moment, before smiling myself. Guess Luthor's words haven't affected everyone's opinion on me...

I scan the floor, seeing them exit. Then, throwing the chunk at the wall, making me a convienant exit, I leap forward, and fly out, just as the entire building finally collaspes behind me.

Alright. That's one potential disaster taken care of. Now for-

- - -

"I... I don't know if I can..."

"What?", Lois asks, frantically.

"I don't think I can move! I'm stuck!"

"Oh for godsakes, just move your arm to the left, and-"

Both are silenced in their words as Jimmy's foot slips on the glass of the windshield. Hurled back, He lands back on the door, hard. Lois' eyes widen as the door flies open, and Jimmy falls out.

"LOIS!!!", Olsen screams, as he begins his fall towards the street below.

"OLSEN!!!"

But Lois' screams for him are wasted, as she suddenly realises... She's falling to. Or the copter, rather. She screams at the top of her lungs, as the billboard gives, and she joins her partner in falling towards certain death. They need that miracle now, more than ever, as the precious seconds fly past in an instant.

- - -

As I take to the air once again, something else catches my hearing.

"LOIS!!!"

"OLSEN!!!"

My eyes widen. I know those voices... and those names, for that matter. What could they be doing here?! No time for that. They sound like... Oh no. They sound like they're in danger...

LORD!

I immediatley take to the skies, going as fast as possible (or in my case, impossible), scanning the entire area the best that I can.

Come on... COME ON, where are you?!

- - -

As the two fall, mid-air, Lois' life flashes before her eyes. Her days with General Sam Lane. Her aspirations of being a reporter. Becoming one, and starting at The Daily Planet. Meeting Perry White. Her pulitzer prize nominations. Meeting Jimmy Olsen. Her rivalry with Lex Luthor. Meeting Clark Kent. Meeting...

Meeting him.

And as the copter falls closer to the ground, she spots him out of the corner of her eye, racing towards her at inhuman speeds. Faster than a speeding bullet. At first, she doesn't believe it. But as she's learned since his arrival... Nothing is unbelieveable. He's coming to save them both. The miracle has arrived. And his name graces her lips, as she nearly faints from the combined feeling of vertigo from the fall, and the same feeling she gets whenever she's around...

"... Superman..."

- - -

4-spread.jpg

I grasp Jimmy's leg, and grab the copter with the other arm. Looking up, I x-ray it, and see her. Lois. She and Jimmy must've come for my battle with Zod. They're in danger every minute that they stay here. I begin to float down, still holding them both as Jimmy looks up at me.

"H-H... Holy crap."

Setting him down first, I land, resting the copter on the ground. At first, I fear she's dead. Then, her eyes slowly begin to open. I find myself breathing a sigh of relief, as I grab the door of the copter, and tear it off. Stepping in, I scoop Lois into my arms, and carry her out of it.

"Hi." is all that I can manage to say, as I smile at her. She smiles back, abiet a bit more dazed than I am. "H-Hi."

"DUDE! You're like... here! And I'm right infront of you!"

I turn, looking at Jimmy as he tries, and... fails to piece his rescue together. I chuckle a little, at that.

"You must be Jim."

His eyes widen.

"..."

"You know my name?!"

I turn back to Lois, setting her down. Better not to elaborate on that. I may die today, but I still don't want anyone to piece together my true identity.

"You're not going to really surrender, are you?"

I shake my head.

"Not anytime soon. He's targeted Earth now that he's realised Krypton is destroyed. I can't let him kill anyone else."

Before I can say anything else, I hear a familiar sound. Wind picking up, in the near distance. But not by a plane or an aircraft. I scan the area behind me, confirming my suspicions as to what it is. And it's coming, fast.

"What is it?"

I narrow my eyes, seeing him as he flies back towards the city.

"Zod."

I turn to them both.

"You two need to leave. Now. This is far too dangerous for either of you to get involved in. Get as far away from the area as possible."

I turn to Lois, especially.

"Promise me."

"But-"

I look into her eyes, serious.

"Please, Lois. You're the last person that I want to become a casualty in this. Promise me."

I can tell she's hesitant. But eventually, she nods, slowly. I smile. Once this is all over... if I'm still standing, I know I've got alot to talk to her about. But for another day. Right now, I have a monster to stop. I turn to Jimmy.

"Make sure she keeps it."

"Um... Sure. No prob. But what about you?"

I turn. I can't even bear to look at Lois, as I say this...

"We'll see."

I rise into the air, before taking to the skies once more. The blur around me becomes even more obscured, as I head for him. For death... for the monster that screamed into my face, taunting me with my heritage and his threats towards humankind. And for that, I'm about to give him hell.

A small contingent of Marines began to move in on the crater where Zod had landed. The Flash's Infinite Mass Punch had done what even Superman's fists could not: it knocked the General out cold. Taking their cue, the Marines were intent on making sure that while Superman was getting up, Zod stayed down.

They approached in two groups of four, the one covering the other as they advanced on the site. Armed with LexCorp experimental anti-matter rifles and equipped with a Kord Technologies energy shield, the soldiers still felt underequipped for dealing with a metahuman this dangerous. Still, it was their duty to protect their countrymen at any and all costs. Danger was all part of a soldier's job.

The dust cloud rising from the crater hindered their visibility, so as they drew close, their scout activated his infra-red goggles. The crater- more of a ditch, really, due to Zod's skidding into the ground- was over a hundred feet in length, twenty feet wide, and at its stopping point, roughly thirty feet deep. Debris lay strewn all around, cars overturned, rubble from at least one building which Zod had smashed right through on his way down. The scout looked around for civilians, and saw none: fortunately, this block was in an evacuated district. He focused his lenses into the center of the crater....

....and saw two glowing eyes peering back.

The Marine's blood ran cold, and he quickly aimed his rifle, but Zod was not moving. The lenses from his helmet still glowed from whatever Kryptonian technology they posessed, but the General was still unconscious.

"Bravo Actual, this is Bravo Nineteen. Target has been sighted, requesting permission to engage."

The scout signalled for the rest of the squad to advance on his position. The Marines lined up behind cover, each looking for a firing solution on Zod.

"Repeat, Bravo Actual, this is Bravo Nineteen. Target has been sighted, requesting permission to--"

"Bravo Nineteen, this is S.H.I.E.L.D. Actual. Stand down."

The Marines all froze in their positions as the voice came over the radio. S.H.I.E.L.D. Actual? They had all heard the stories, to be sure, but none of the Corps honestly believed that "The Colonel" actually existed.

"Say again, S.H.I.E.L.D. Actual?"

"You heard me, Bravo Nineteen. I'm ordering you to withdraw. You're just going to get your men killed. Now move your squad out of the area before--"

The Colonel's voice was drowned out by the sound of an explosion. Beams of searing heat emanated from the crater, blasting holes in nearby buildings, igniting leaking gasoline from the damaged cars. The eye of the proverbial storm had passed.

Zod was awake.

"Christ, he's up! Get the shield online!"

Two of the Marines worked feverishly on the machine, desperately trying to activate the energy shield. As the barrier formed itself around the troops, Zod's heat vision focused on them. The scarlet beams dissipated as they struck the barrier, but it would only hold for so long. The majority of the squad huddled safely under the shield...but the scout was too far ahead, and outside of the shield's reach.

The General burst upwards from the crater, in an eruption of dust and debris.

"WHO?!?! Which one of you apes was suicidal enough to strike me?!"

Zod's booming voice echoed through the streets. However, the man who had knocked him across the city was in no condition to answer. His challenge was instead answered with a bolt of anti-matter.

"You want Flash? You're gonna have to go through us."

The General descended slowly to face the scout.

"And what exactly do you plan on doing, primate?"

The Marine reached into his jacket, pulling out his dog tags. He yanked the chain from his neck, and tossed them towards the energy shield and his fellow soldiers.

"Honestly? Buy a little time."

The Marine brought his rifle to the ready, but Zod shattered the rifle's barrel with a swat of his hand. Without saying another word, the General drove his fist through the scout's head.

The General nonchalantly wiped the spatters of blood from the lenses of his helmet, while the Marine's body fell to the ground. Contented, the General brought his focus to the rest of the squad, still protected by the shield.

As he prepared for the attack, General Zod barely noticed that he had lost focus on the bigger threat...

bad_zod.jpg

OOC: I know this is Superman's fight but I want Luke Cage to get his revenge.

<Luke Cage>

I see Zod punch a hole into a marine, this ****er has got to be stopped. I don't see Superman around so It's up to me to buy some time.

I jump and land on Zod's back.

"Rematch muther ****er!"

I yell as I place a right hook on Zod's chin and knee him in the back.

My eyes snap open and I sit straight up, scaring the hell out of the medics carrying me on the litter.

"Holy ****ing hell!!!" one of them says.

"Si-Flash?" the medic who worked on me asks. "Are you ok?"

I feel my body and start flexing muscles. Except for a slight dull ache in my healed hand, I feel...I feel great? No, I feel outstanding! I'm a little hungry and I'll probably need to get my hand reset at a hospital...but my body is full of energy.

I hop off the litter. "Where?" I ask.

"Where...what, sir?"

"Where did I send him?"

The medics look at each other and point. I smile. "Thanks. And stop calling me 'sir'".

In a few moments I've tracked Zod down just in time to watch him kill a marine. It stops me in my tracks. No...NOOO!!! I start running again. If only I'd been a little faster, if I had woken up sooner, I could have saved that man. I should have saved him!

I see Power Man (that's his name!) jump on Zod's back and deliver a couple of good blows. I decide to join in.

"Youbastardmonstersonofabit-!!!" I shout at superspeed as I lay dozens of punches to his midsection and face, not caring if he understands me.

That's when I notice a red and blue blur heading at us almost as fast as I travel. I look Zod right in the eyes and give him a smug smile. I jump past him and grab Power Man, pulling him off of Zod and to the ground.

"DOWN!" I shout at him before the Man of Steel makes Zod regret he was ever born.

"Sir?" the voice says in my earpiece. I grunt an acknowledgement as I duck under a swinging crowbar and stand back up, using my momentum to drive an uppercut into the thug's chin, sending him flying. I lash a kick out behind me, catching another in the gut. I pull back my leg and take up a defensive stance as two more come charging at me.

"I realize you may be busy right now, sir." I grunt another acknowledgement as I throw two pellets to the ground. The tear gas that explodes blinds and confuses the attacks as I drop them with two quick and precise nerve strikes. I spin and fling a batarang, knocking the crowbar out of the original attackers hand. Two more punches and he's down. I turn back to the fourth. The fear in his eyes tells me he regrets trying to break into the jewlery store that night. But he doesn't run away, instead he runs at me. Idiot.

I grab him by the front of his shirt and slam his back against the wall. "One of the 'packages' has just arrived. The larger one." I smile slightly, partly because I just broke the nose of this criminal, and partly because of what Alfred just told me.

I finish binding the criminals with zip-ties. I pull a small device out of my belt and point it at the store, pressing a button. It triggers the alarm inside. I sit on my new batcycle and put on my helmet. It'll be at least two minutes before the police arrive, depending on how much protection money they are extorting from the store owner.

I rev up the cycle and tear off down the empty street. "What's the status of the other package?"

"The main bodies should be arriving within the week. The components will take up to a month to arrive. And then there is the customization time..."

"Understood," I say, cutting Alfred off. "I'll be back soon. We can begin the installation tomorrow."

"Very well, sir." I can almost here the sigh in Alfred's voice. He still does not like what I do. But he still helps me. "There is another matter which should concern you, sir."

"And that is?" I ask, taking a street corner tightly, aiming my bike towards home.

"I believe you will want to see this for yourself..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"