Apocalypse Oscar Isaac IS Apocalypse - Part 2

I was actually really pleased with the design. Apocalypse is a hard character to bring into real life. With pen and ink, you can make anything. Actualizing things in reality is much harder. And Oscar Isaacs is too awesome. From Poe Dameron to megalomaniac, Omega-level ancient mutant: now that is having a range!

I was actually really pleased with the design. Apocalypse is a hard character to bring into real life. With pen and ink, you can make anything. Actualizing things in reality is much harder. And Oscar Isaacs is too awesome. From Poe Dameron to megalomaniac, Omega-level ancient mutant: now that is having a range!

I like Oscar Isaac but Apocalypse was poorly written.

I blame Singer. If Singer hadn't put his own spin on him and just went with the popular version of the character (X-Factor, TAS) most people would've been likely pleased. But Singer decided to go full practical, no CG enhancements to make him taller or fix the facial prosthetics, played around with his voice (the trailers are indicative of this), little of the outlandish comic power displays (except for going giant, and teleporting?), etc.

Waited years to see one of my favourite villain ever and I got that? Worst X men movie villain so far.

For me Apocalypse was awesome, my favourite CBM villain this year. My Dad who is not a fan of the X-Men looked up and then started watching every time Apocalypse was on screen. As the movie went further along he then started asking me more questions about him. So he interested a non fan there at least.

I just really enjoy the performance and that fact that he is such A formidable opponent. I think Oscar nailed and sounded intimidating when he wanted to and soothing and convincing at other times, like when he is recruiting his horseman. I do wish they had done a bit more with his powers, but overall as someone who wanted to see Apocalypse on screen since the 90's cartoon I am happy with how they did him.

Apocalypse lacked a real display of his power in the past. I would have ditched the transferance and showed him and the horseman causing mass destruction in Egypt instead. That way you would know what he is capable of. The stakes are established when he wakes up.

Apocalypse lacked a real display of his power in the past. I would have ditched the transferance and showed him and the horseman causing mass destruction in Egypt instead. That way you would know what he is capable of. The stakes are established when he wakes up.
Actually that WAS the pre-title sequence at first (when Singer posted the first picture of the script), IDK what happened that they changed it to an old, decrepit Apoc getting a body swap.

And I completely agree with you. The urgency is not there if we don't see what he's capable of.

Here's the proof:

bryan-singer.jpg

Budget constraints I guess. And considering the quality of the VFX we got in the movie, it would've probably looked pretty bad.

Genuine question, do you not think the after credits scene in DOFP did this? Plus also the fact that people worshipped him at the start of Apoc?

Damn, I forgot about that script page. Well it sucks more that they had this idea and dropped it. The transference was a massive sequence that did very little besides introducing (and not even really explaining) the film's main maguffin.

Genuine question, do you not think the after credits scene in DOFP did this? Plus also the fact that people worshipped him at the start of Apoc?

Not really, no. The DOFP teaser is pretty disconnected from this film, and Apocalypse's history is largely glossed over. The cult are insignificant in the story.

Last edited:
I still get why folks are disappointed with Apocalypse. The makeup left something to be desired, and Kinberg's script (save for the nuclear weapons scene) gave him very little of interest to do. However, I do think as time has passed Oscar Isaac was quite entertaining in the role. I remember him far better than any comic book villain in the last two or three years of superhero movies. And his "soothing" voice and look of disdain at everything is fun. I might also be a sucker for Mummy type stories.

As for the beginning, I do agree if we got a sense of his power, like we saw him conquer a whole army by himself, in Ancient Egypt before he was trapped, the film would have been better. I actually think that was the original idea since the first page of the screenplay that Singer sent out on social media seemed to be talking about a battle. My guess is it was cut for budgetary reasons, but showing Apocalypse just lay waste to someone before having his victory parade which goes awry would have made the movie stronger.

Damn, I forgot about that script page. Well it sucks more that they had this idea and dropped it. The transference was a massive sequence that did very little besides introducing (and not even really explaining) the film's main maguffin.

Not really, no. The DOFP teaser is pretty disconnected from this film, and Apocalypse's history is largely glossed over. The cult are insignificant in the story.

Fair enough

I still get why folks are disappointed with Apocalypse. The makeup left something to be desired, and Kinberg's script (save for the nuclear weapons scene) gave him very little of interest to do. However, I do think as time has passed Oscar Isaac was quite entertaining in the role. I remember him far better than any comic book villain in the last two or three years of superhero movies. And his "soothing" voice and look of disdain at everything is fun. I might also be a sucker for Mummy type stories.

As for the beginning, I do agree if we got a sense of his power, like we saw him conquer a whole army by himself, in Ancient Egypt before he was trapped, the film would have been better. I actually think that was the original idea since the first page of the screenplay that Singer sent out on social media seemed to be talking about a battle. My guess is it was cut for budgetary reasons, but showing Apocalypse just lay waste to someone before having his victory parade which goes awry would have made the movie stronger.

Agreed on Apoc, he had more memorable moments than the majority of villains over the last few years. Isaac did great in the role for me, soothing when he needed to be, intimidating and and bombastic when it came to business. I also like that he was so formidable. A powered Magneto didn't even have a chance against him if it wasn't for the X-Men and Pheonix. I also love the performance, his disgust and disdain for what the world had become was translated not just through his words but through his facial expressions. He had some awesome Apocalypse style speeches as well.

Agreed on Apoc, he had more memorable moments than the majority of villains over the last few years. Isaac did great in the role for me, soothing when he needed to be, intimidating and and bombastic when it came to business. I also like that he was so formidable. A powered Magneto didn't even have a chance against him if it wasn't for the X-Men and Pheonix. I also love the performance, his disgust and disdain for what the world had become was translated not just through his words but through his facial expressions. He had some awesome Apocalypse style speeches as well.

I agree, I really liked Isaac's performance as Apocalypse, with his disdainful manner and his elaborate speeches.

That's interesting but it doesn't jive with the portrayal of Apocalypse. He was born tens of thousands of years ago and became a god/ruler for various early civilisations. He wiped out those civilisations when they turned against him. He didn't cause any mass destruction until the people rose against him. Why would he? He wanted to be revered so he needed people to be around to revere him.

In the case of Ancient Egypt, he had no chance to do any such thing because there was no uprising - instead, the betrayal was planned in secret and happened during his vulnerable transference process.

I agree, I really liked Isaac's performance as Apocalypse, with his disdainful manner and his elaborate speeches.

Yeah he was great, the more I watch of the performance the more I like it. His disdainful facial expressions were an advantage of going practical with the character as Isaac could express more.

That's interesting but it doesn't jive with the portrayal of Apocalypse. He was born tens of thousands of years ago and became a god/ruler for various early civilisations. He wiped out those civilisations when they turned against him. He didn't cause any mass destruction until the people rose against him. Why would he? He wanted to be revered so he needed people to be around to revere him.

In the case of Ancient Egypt, he had no chance to do any such thing because there was no uprising - instead, the betrayal was planned in secret and happened during his vulnerable transference process.

Yeah I agree with this. I think the fact that people worshipped him as a God and bowed down to him showed how powerful he was. Not to mention the fact that other mutants bowed to him with fierce loyalty and that he had to be betrayed at his most vulnerable.

Personally I didn't really need to see more than that.

Apocalypse wiping out a civilization in the past would directly mirror his actions in the present. Surely that jives? It's consistant with his backstory, and gives him a more impressive introduction. It also establishes his powerset and destructive capabilities, which would have been useful.

Apocalypse wiping out a civilization in the past would directly mirror his actions in the present. Surely that jives? It's consistant with his backstory, and gives him a more impressive introduction. It also establishes his powerset and destructive capabilities, which would have been useful.

It would need to be a civilisation earlier than the Ancient Egyptians.

The Twitter teasers showed Atlantis falling. Singer's Blu-ray commentary throws in suggestions of Sumerians, Assyrians, falling to the power of Apocalypse.

But that would require a prologue before the existing prologue in Ancient Egypt. Could have felt a bit overdone.

We already had Moira's explanation/exposition.. the only easy way would be to have her speaking as a voiceover against a visual sequence of Atlantis sinking or something like that. I dunno, I think you're overegging the pudding a bit here.

I actually liked Isaac's performance WAYYYYYY more than I expected to considering all the horror stories. Hell, that's how I felt about the movie in general. Low expectations make for wonderful surprises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"