Apocalypse X-Men Apocalypse News and Discussion - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a reason why she shouldn't?

From what I remember about the 90s animated series mystique is working for apoclaypse so it's not like like there would be no room for her

Mystique has had little to nothing to do with Apocalypse in the books. That and the cartoon are a moot point anyway since the films are as far removed from them as can be.

Why shouldn't she be? She's overexposed for one and we just had 2 films where she played a large role. If she were to return in Apocalypse, Id rather it be more minor. To come out and say she'd be one of the main focus' is a mistake IMO and makes me less excited about it. Im sure this is about getting the most out of JL anyway since she's the hot thing in Hollywood at the moment

Well surely if the films are as far removed as you're saying, its perfectly fine for Mystique to be involved with Apocalypse.

Of course with her being a major name now she will be utilised, they got her cheap and are making the most of that, thats just hollywood. At least unlike Halle Berry she is getting development rather than just being the poster girl with the big powers, that shows FOX is looking to make better films.

I think its nice to end this as a trilogy before "hopefully" moving on to having Storm, Cyc and Jean as the next trilogy three (throw gambit and nightcrawler in there too).

Well surely if the films are as far removed as you're saying, its perfectly fine for Mystique to be involved with Apocalypse.
My issues with her being used have nothing to do with maintaining some type of continuity/consistency with other forms of media

It seems like every interview with Kinberg is being blown out of proportion.

First, he says that Apocalypse will end the First Class trilogy. The media and people take this to mean that, McAvoy, Fassbender, and Lawrence are finished with the X-Men franchise after this.

Next he says that Mystique plays an interesting part of that dynamic between Magneto and Xavier, and that has been taken to mean that she is the focus of the movie.

Lawrence was a good part of the ensemble cast of DOFP and she will be again in Apocalypse, but she will not be the focus of the movie. The focus has been on Xavier and/or Magneto in First Class and DOFP, and it will be again in Apocalypse.

The dynamic in the movie will likely involve how Apocalypse's viewpoint comes into the picture as a third option different from Xavier and Magneto.

Did people seriously think Mystique, being played by Jennifer Lawrence, was going to take a backseat? I mean, c'mon, nobody could have possibly expected that.

Yea. That is like people expecting M in Bond 24 to go back to being a desk job when he is played by Ralph Fiennes.

Of course with her being a major name now she will be utilised, they got her cheap and are making the most of that, thats just hollywood. At least unlike Halle Berry she is getting development rather than just being the poster girl with the big powers, that shows FOX is looking to make better films.

I think its nice to end this as a trilogy before "hopefully" moving on to having Storm, Cyc and Jean as the next trilogy three (throw gambit and nightcrawler in there too).

I don't even think it's a good idea to bring in the Big 3 in this movie, aside from an extended cameo or closing scene showing their enrollment in the school. I don't think Kinberg explicitly said they will feature those three mutants. Just that Apocalypse would be their introduction. Given that this is 1983, you need actors that can play 13-16 year old characters. If you have to aim THAT young, I would think along the lines of Young Adult series that can follow their maturation akin to a Harry Potter or Twilight type of series.

I could see Jean being in a sort of Rogue role from X-1 at the most, with Cyke in the Bobby role. Maybe Apocalypse will try to utilize her gifts as a Horseman. Other than that, unless Jean/Storm are major linchpins or big plot devices, it wouldn't make sense to make them the focal point in a 1983 movie. Honestly, I don't think Apocalypse should be a teeney bopper film either, and should only have the heavy hitters in the mix.

Frankly, Jean/Scott/Storm could work as a live action TV series. I don't think Fox has the rights to that to my knowledge, but wait a few years for the technology to become cheap enough for a TV budget. That would be the best way to develop them, ala the recent animated series. For live action films, I would recast with veteran actors and pick up another trilogy, starting with an older McAvoy/Fassabender, with Sinister as a focal villain.

Last edited:
I would bet on all 3 being 16 In Apocalypse.

Apocalypse should be origin of more tradional "X-men" In FC trilogy.But I am skeptical Cyclops,Jean,and Storm will be anything other than Supporting characters.

Apocalypse should be origin of more tradional "X-men" In FC trilogy.But I am skeptical Cyclops,Jean,and Storm will be anything other than Supporting characters.

Well obviously. Every character outside FC4/Wolverine/Apocalypse will be a "supporting" character.

Given that this is 1983, you need actors that can play 13-16 year old characters. If you have to aim THAT young, I would think along the lines of Young Adult series that can follow their maturation akin to a Harry Potter or Twilight type of series.

yeah, they ain't doing that. We're going to get late teen/early 20s playing late teens. No 13-16 year olds. I'd be shocked if they went that route.

Yes, we're definitely not getting characters that are 13-16. No way.

I don't think people would be upset if another character that is not Wolverine/ProfX/Magneto is getting more development if only that character is an actual member of the X-Men, like lets say Cyclops or Storm or Rogue. Though Mystique joined the X-Men in the comics, she's not a X-Man in the movies, she's still a villain. To top that, Apocalypse will be her 6th movie. I don't think she would be "the focus" for the next movie but obviously just like in Days of Future Past, she probably has a big role again. I think some people like me just want to see a X-Men movie where the actual X-Men gets more role than characters than Magneto/Mystique (whom already appeared in 5 movies) and a X-Men film that centers around the X-Men team. When the time comes that Apocalypse or an upcoming villain enters their 5th or 6th film and other X-Men members are still getting the shaft in getting more substantial role, people would still complain.

Personally, I just want a X-Men film that focuses on the team and if not all, most of the X-Men has equal screentime/importance to the film. Then they would travel and face supervillains that aren't Magneto, Stryker, Mystique and its just the X-Men versus those supervillains without Magneto/Mystique getting a supporting role.

To be honest, I want them to be younger than 16 with Storm as the youngest, like Storm is 8 with Cyclops and Jean Grey, 10 to 13 years old.

Last edited:
Once Lawrence leaves I think they'll stop bringing Mystique back. It's funny how Mystique has been in more films than nearly all the X-Men.

All new movies aren't about X-Men.
FC was about Magneto and Divison X.
DOFP was about Xavier, X-Men still didn't exist in 1973 and already doesn't exist in 2023.
Maybe in Apocalypse Charles will create this team. IMO after this movie we will have X-Men movies, where X-Men members will be the core, not Xavier, Magneto or Mystique.

Do people honestly want a 15/16 year old Cyclops leading the X-Men against Apocalypse? How unrealistic is that? Even if they don't cast that young, certainly the actor will be playing the character close to or around that age. I just don't get it. You people want to see X-Men front and center, but would rather have a teeney bopper cast provide that for you, as opposed to waiting for the next series of films. Good thing the producers are hardly ever on the same page as fanboys.

I'd love a 10-14 year old Nightcrawler that'd be huge for laughs in this film. I feel this could be about family coming together. Magneto, Mystique, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and baby Lorna one big happy family lol

All new movies aren't about X-Men.
FC was about Magneto and Divison X.
DOFP was about Xavier, X-Men still didn't exist in 1973 and already doesn't exist in 2023.
Maybe in Apocalypse Charles will create this team. IMO after this movie we will have X-Men movies, where X-Men members will be the core, not Xavier, Magneto or Mystique.

He wrote "all the X-men" meaning the actual characters, not necessarily them as a singular unit. And he's right. With the exception of Wolverine and Xavier, if we're counting them, Mystique has been utilized than any of the X-men

Do people honestly want a 15/16 year old Cyclops leading the X-Men against Apocalypse? How unrealistic is that? Even if they don't cast that young, certainly the actor will be playing the character close to or around that age. I just don't get it. You people want to see X-Men front and center, but would rather have a teeney bopper cast provide that for you, as opposed to waiting for the next series of films. Good thing the producers are hardly ever on the same page as fanboys.

That's why I'm saying we will see X-Men after Apocalypse movie. Scott, Jean and Ororo will be too young here. That's unrealistic to fight against strong villain, but in comic and EVO they were teenagers too, so who knows...

I'd just prefer they tell their FC story. It's shaping to be one of the better tightly nit trilogies in CB lore, if not trilogies in cinema. I don't want to jinx it or anything, but I'm not interested in seeing the classic X-Men and all their glory at the expense of concluding the story at hand. We will get X-Men films in the future, but I'm in no rush to see all of them half assed into what should be an epic Apocalypse adaptation.

I don't mind if they finish their First Class project as intended, especially as villains like Apocalypse can still be relevent in any time period in later films and won't be 'wasted'. Once they're done I want to see the next project in the present/future building foundations with core X-Men so that we'll one day even further down the line be able to see a film with all the main X-Men in, even if not all of them have major roles.

If that's the case then I'd rather this film be the finale and a future one being a complete reboot

I don't mind a complete reboot, I want it one day anyway although we have good actors playing characters in both timelines so I also don't mind them keep doing what they want to do if they can keep doing it well. But the endgame however many years down the line will have to be some kind of reboot even if they keep all the history so that continuity problems can't get in the way of bringing all the main characters together in their peak incarnation (not too young versions of some, very old versions of others).

And when a reboot comes I hope Fox realise what a big opportunity that is. X-Men can be a much bigger film franchise than nearly all solo heroes and shouldn't be that far away from Avengers. Coming out in the barren ultra-risky period of comic films is what set the path of middling ambition rather than shooting for the sky, and even then we're now seeing international box office that is competitive with other big films.

It's a shame the first class "trilogy" won't be much about that "class". Considering most of the members of that esteemed class other than the core ones are dead, displaced, or have disappeared. I hope they bring back Havok and give him a meatier role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"