Oz: The Great and Powerful - Part 1

I still think it is actually Mila's laugh...

What would make you think that? Lol

Doesn't even seem like they put effects on her own voice. Whenever the true "laugh" came out, it did not come close to matching her voice whatsoever.

are you sure? i think it sounded like her with some sound mixing

Off to see this in about an hour. We'll see how it goes. At the very least I'll get to see the IM3 trailer#2 on the big screen.

Just got back from seeing it. It was alright.

My biggest complaints?
The middle dragged.
I was disappointed by the witches and didn't really find them very scary.
They made Oz a tad TOO unlikable for too long of the film.
Also there were points when the monkey got really annoying. Never reached Jar Jar bad, but in the same ballpark.

What did I like?
The Kansas section.
Franco and Braff (before he became the monkey)
The china girl.
The climax.
The look!
The Sam Raimi moments.

Overall, good flick but I don't imagine myself seeing it again anytime soon.

wait so does her voice change at all when Mila transforms or stays the same?

Mila keeps her voice pretty much exactly the same before and after her transformation.

Anybody else think of this in the end:

DragMeToHell_ganush_raver.jpg

That's actually from Sam Raimi's 'Drag me to hell.'

For some reason Evanora just reminded me so much of her.

And sorry for the pop-up if it was unexpected.

i wonder why Raimi never showed a close up on Theodora's tears? my friends didnt even see that her tears made scars on her skin.
You may have missed it...they showed it twice and it was very clear.

Anybody else think of this in the end:

DragMeToHell_ganush_raver.jpg

That's actually from Sam Raimi's 'Drag me to hell.'

For some reason Evanora just reminded me so much of her.

And sorry for the pop-up if it was unexpected.

Whoa I've never seen Drag Me To Hell but that looks so much like
Evanora in her last scene.

Whoa I've never seen Drag Me To Hell but that looks so much like
Evanora in her last scene.

Exactly. I'm unsure if that was purposeful as another Raimi nod or if it just turned out to be a coincidence.

Its pure Raimi style who knows if he'll ever explain it or not.

thats Raimi. if there was no scary old lady i would be angry. hell yeah Raimi.

:)

Last edited:
What would make you think that? Lol

Doesn't even seem like they put effects on her own voice. Whenever the true "laugh" came out, it did not come close to matching her voice whatsoever.

I read the article in Entertainment Weekly, and Mila says she worked with a vocal coach to get that laugh down. Just repeating what I read.

thats Raimi. if there was no scary old lady i would be angry. hell yeah Raimi.

:)
Yep. I'm an unabashed Raimi fan so I dig most of his cheese and oddities. Not saying the movie is great as it has a myriad of problems but I thought Raimi's direction and sincerity pulled me through the slow parts, the shaky handling of the Wicked Witch, the miscast lead and some of the humor that didn't work.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film, mostly for the raimisms thought and I liked the cast for the most part, though I can't help but imagine Robert Downey junior killing in this role. I think the main drawback was the script, the story was pretty eh.

I loved all the homages.

Not sure if anyone caught this but Michelle Williams Kansas character was going to marry a man named John Gale. Gale is Dorothy's last name.

Yep...

...and she was wearing a gingham dress with a pattern similar to Dorothy's. My mom thought it was a young Auntie Em, but unless she was two-timing Uncle Henry, I assumed that was Dorothy's mother.

I also saw the 'horse of a different color' (a few of them, actually) grazing in a field just outside Emerald City. There was also a rainbow visible in the waterfalls after the balloon first landed in Oz. You could see the long hallway Dorothy and the others walked down on the way to see the Wizard for a brief second after he gets his whole setup going at the end.

Kunis had a screech voice that was definitely evocative of the classical Wicked Witch, but whenever she was supposed to be calm, it did still sound like Meg Griffin. But the scene where she backs her sister's call for the monkeys and when she makes Oz dance, she nails the characteristics, the cackle, and she flat out horrifies you with the same wrath-filled stare as the classic Witch.

Considering this movie and others have been attempting to recapture classic old fairy tale magic, I'd say she was much better than the female characters in Alice in Wonderland and better than Kristen Stewart in Snow White and the Huntsman, and her hammy moments were more appropriate than Charlize Theron's few missteps, though Theron made a much more consistent and intimidating villain. Not perfect, but pretty good.

Just got back. What can I say, meh pretty much sums it up. [blackout] I'd almost feel sorry for what happened to Theodora if it weren't for the fact that she's so dumb/clueless that I felt she deserved what her sister did to her.[/blackout] If I streched really hard I could give this a 6/10. I have no love for Raimi or his cheesey ways but I guess little kids will enjoy this movie well enough. Can't say this film suprised nor did it disappoint. It's exactly the film I expected it to be. Well,at least someone else paid for my ticket so I don't have to be out of pocket for this.

Just got back. What can I say, meh pretty much sums it up. [blackout] I'd almost feel sorry for what happened to Theodora if it weren't for the fact that she's so dumb/clueless that I felt she deserved what her sister did to her.[/blackout] If I streched really hard I could give this a 6/10. I have no love for Raimi or his cheesey ways but I guess little kids will enjoy this movie well enough. Can't say this film suprised nor did it disappoint. It's exactly the film I expected it to be. Well,at least someone else paid for my ticket so I don't have to be out of pocket for this.

Agreed with all of this.

i feel sorry for people who dont like or understand raimi cheese:o

I should clarify that "agree with all of this". Raimi cheese works for me 90% of the time. Here it was kinda hit or miss. Mostly miss with the monkey. I do agree with what else kedrell said.

Oh. Was anyone else disappointed by the Bruce Campbell cameo? After the BRILLIANT ones he had in all of the Spidey films, I expected much more.

The film was entertaining and Raimi brought his style of visionary to the film. Was is a great film no but it served it purpose in allowing disney to continue making a franchise of this if they choose too.

The best moment in the film is when Finley without speaking asks to be picked up. And Oscar ignores him.

Just got out, decent flick. Green cleavage was not an issue at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"