Status
Not open for further replies.

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score
Legendary Pictures Buys Pacific Rim

Source: Deadline New York
May 28, 2010

Legendary Pictures has purchased Pacific Rim, a 25-page science fiction treatment by Travis Beacham for development into a tentpole feature, reports Deadline New York.

Beacham, who was the first writer on the recent Clash of the Titans remake, will script the project which sees a future Earth defending itself from attacking creatures. There is no word on the origin of these beings, though the title suggest that they may come from beneath the sea.

I like the sound of the concept a lot, its just depends what talent they get behind it really.

This could be good, the original draft/version of Clash of the Titans sounded really, really awesome.

From Motion Captured:
Updated! Guillermo Del Toro on 'Godzilla'? Not so fast, says director
Drew McWeeny said:
UPDATE (10/14/2010 - 1:30 PM PST): Speaking with agency sources close to the process today, HitFix has been able to further clarify the situation regarding "Pacific Rim," an original screenplay by Travis Beacham, and "Godzilla," currently being scripted by Dave Callaham.

Contrary to the report yesterday, there are no conversations underway regarding the merging of these two projects. Beacham's original pitch does indeed fit the vague logline that's currently available, but there's a lot about the project that isn't in that logline. After all, giant monsters are making a comeback right now, and there's a lot of studios around town preparing to get into that game. The specifics of Beacham's script are under wraps for a reason, and when you hear those specifics, you'll understand why it doesn't really work as a potential "Godzilla" film.

Dave Callaham is in the middle of his process right now, and his work has Legendary happy enough that they're talking to directors and eyeballing a release date. He's still on the film, and suggestions that they're dumping him or taking the script away simply aren't fair or accurate.

Here's the one piece of information that you might logically take away from Latino Review's story yesterday, and it is an intriguing piece of information. If you know Beacham's work, it's probably because of the spec script that made him an in-demand writer for studios, "Killing On Carnival Row." That script was a sensation when it hit Hollywood desks, and it's a great piece of world-building, really smart and cool and dark and weird. One of the script's biggest fans was actually attached to direct it at New Line for a little while, a Mr. Guillermo Del Toro. I think it's safe to assume that anything Beacham writes is something Del Toro would be willing to read, and that after he makes his dream film, "At The Mountains Of Madness," it might not be outside the realm of possibility that he would want to make a giant monster movie.

But as far as "Pacific Rim" and "Godzilla"? Not the same project. Never have been. Definitely will not be.

Screen Rant Interview: Guillermo del Toro Talks Upcoming Projects
Mike Eisenberg said:
Just the other day, it was rumored that del Toro might direct the upcoming Godzilla reboot from Legendary Pictures. As it turned out, the misunderstanding came from del Toro’s rave over Travis Beacham’s script for Pacific Rim. The two have similar archetypes, but are completely unrelated.

We asked the director to clear up any further confusion by revisiting the rumor on camera. As enticing as it sounds, Guillermo del Toro is definitely not helping Legendary Pictures bring Godzilla back.

Guillermo del Toro said:
“I’ve never been involved in Godzilla. I’ve read and liked Pacific Rim a lot. I’ve read it because I’ve met [writer] Travis Beacham way before and I loved his writing and I loved his world creation. But it was definitely more rumor than anything else. I never laid eyes– I know Legendary’s keeping Godzilla and Pacific Rim completely separate.”

sounds interesting.
I read a similar story a few days ago somewhere else.
monster island news maybe?
IDK, my memory is going.

wait, what was I doing? :O

From Variety 10 Screenwriters to Watch:
Travis Beacham: Writes what he wants to see

Justin Shady said:
Travis Beacham's screenwriting career didn't begin in Hollywood. Instead, it began in North Carolina.

While wrapping up his senior year at the North Carolina School of the Arts, Beacham wrote a script titled "Killing on Carnival Row." Looking for some feedback, he sent it to a recent graduate who had landed an intern position at a production company. And then he waited.

"One day he called me in sort of a hushed tone and said, 'You're going to be getting some phone calls soon … but I can't really say much about it.'?"

Those phone calls were from agents, managers and producers. With diploma in hand and opportunity calling, Beacham packed up and headed west. Now, just five years later, he's one of the most sought-after writing talents for studio tentpole films.

His philosophy for screenwriting is simple: "It seems so cliched and obvious, but write the movie you want to see in the theater."

In 2006, Warner Bros. tapped Beacham to pen the remake of "Clash of the Titans," and when the film's worldwide gross closed in on the $500 million mark, the windows of opportunity began to open.

In addition to coming onboard director Joseph Kosinki's "The Black Hole," Beacham also collaborated with J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot shingle on a project that is still under wraps. Ridley Scott's RSA slated him to pen the "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" remake, and he sold an original treatment-screenplay to Legendary Pictures for sci-fi "Pacific Rim."

When talking about "Pacific Rim," Beacham's philosophy becomes apparent: "It's probably the most excited I've ever been for any movie, including the ones I've written and the ones I haven't written. I'm totally psyched to be sitting in a movie theater and see it up on a screen."

VITAL STATS:
Provenance: Cleveland, Tenn.
Inspired by: "When I saw 'Jurassic Park' as a kid, that was the first time I thought about making movies for a living. … Before then, I actually wanted to be a paleontologist …but after I saw that movie I (realized) that I didn't want to work with bones for the rest of my life. I wanted to bring things to life."

Reps: Cliff Roberts (WME); Bard Dorros (Anonymous Content); lawyer: Adam Kaller (Hansen, Jacobson, Teller, Hoberman, Newman, Warren & Richman)

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/del...e-as-legendary-preps-pacific-rim/#more-111858

I'm hearing that Legendary Pictures is moving fast on a project del Toro likes called Pacific Rim, a Travis Beacham-scripted PG-13 tentpole-sized project with big monsters and the creation of a new world, and that this could very well be the next film del Toro directs. That picture was developed independent of Warner Bros., under the radar by Legendary chief executives Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni. Del Toro has been in the loop through this process. He and Beacham almost worked together previously when the director flirted with The Killing on Carnival Row at New Line. The Legendary-del Toro relationship dates back through the eight months they put into Pacific Rim and an earlier courtship when Legendary tried to tempt del Toro to direct a Wizard of Oz project.

Just make a damn movie already Del Toror!

Why are people praising Beacham? The Clash of the Titans script sucked ass :dry:.

From Collider:
Legendary Pictures Attempts to Lure Guillermo del Toro away from AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS to PACIFIC RIM – UPDATED
Matt Goldberg said:
Update: Steve here. I’ve been told that Universal killed At the Mountains of Madness on Friday and del Toro is going to take on Pacific Rim as his next film. I’m sure this will all be worked out over the next few days. I’m just sad that one of my favorite filmmakers is having so many problems getting a film made.

btw, it seems like this was a long thing coming and del Toro probably knew that Universal wouldn't greenlight 'Mountains' a while ago.

I wish that del Toro does Hellboy 3 instead of this, which from the sound of the concept is eh, but what the heck, at least he's doing a movie.

I agree that the concept doesn't sounds so appealing. But then again it's a new movie from del toro and that's what makes me intrested in this project.

While this sounds a decent movie I would much prefer it if GDT did Hellboy 3 instead of this, Perlman aint getting any younger!

Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim Coming in 2013

Legendary Pictures announced today that Guillermo del Toro is directing the company's upcoming feature, Pacific Rim, confirmed as his next film. The film has already entered pre-production and will begin principal photography in September 2011. Pacific Rim will be released during summer 2013 and will be produced by Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni for Legendary Pictures and Guillermo del Toro.

Stated Guillermo del Toro: "We started developing PAC RIM a while ago with the mad passion and enthusiasm of a project unwatched and unchecked by politics or comparisons. We designed and shepherded the movie we want to make. We start shooting in September and we hit the ground running because we are so in sync. My partnership with Legendary represents, both in scale and creative demands, a huge step forward for me."

The film is a science fiction treatment by Travis Beacham which sees a future Earth defending itself from attacking creatures.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=75088
Yep.

Will they cut this man a break already? He hasn't directed a film since 08 and his next is apparently set for 2013. Will anyone be surprised if that one falls through too?

This news is awful, this films idea sounds mediocre. Wish he'd just make Hellboy 3 if he can't do Mt of Madness.

2013???????????? are you f.... kidding me?

Will they cut this man a break already? He hasn't directed a film since 08 and his next is apparently set for 2013. Will anyone be surprised if that one falls through too?

This news is awful, this films idea sounds mediocre. Wish he'd just make Hellboy 3 if he can't do Mt of Madness.
why is it so hard to understand that del Toro needs a hit for hes big budget movie career?

Helboy movies are not big enough. i dont want to hear complaints that it was realesed next to TDK. he needs a commercial blockbuster hit.

2013???????????? are you f.... kidding me?

Come now. After the rushed schedule of X-Men First Class and Rise of the Apes being pushed back , i'd say that it's good news that they are taking their time with Pacific Rim.
Plus WB 2012 slate already has the big movies set whereas their 2013 slate is still quite empty.

why is it so hard to understand that del Toro needs a hit for hes big budget movie career?

Helboy movies are not big enough. i dont want to hear complaints that it was realesed next to TDK. he needs a commercial blockbuster hit.

And you act as if this lame sounding, low budget flick that no one has ever heard of will be it:lmao:

I mean, del Toro will always be remembered for Pan's Labyrinth and maybe the Hellboy movies but I've always felt that IF he doesn't move fast, he'll end up being like Eli Roth, who hasn't done anything in years. I mean, Eli only has 3 movies under this belt and he could do so much more.

I guess it's fans wondering about the legacy of certain directors: Nolan has Batman, Memento, and Inception (and growing). QT has Pulp Fiction and Res Dogs. Speilberg has too many to list. I kinda know what people are saying about del Toro.

I hope this project goes smoothly for del Toro because he really miss getting behind the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"