The Dark Knight Rises Paralleles between Nolanverse and Burtonverse

zman

Civilian
Reaction score
So either Nolan really enjoyed the Burton movies, or...this is the biggest amount of coincidences in film history. Don't know if there's a thread on this matter, but I thought it'd be fun to take note of similar scenes and endelsly argue on wether it was a conscious decision or not. this includes all bat movies from each of them.

So here's one:

In both BR and TDKR, Selina and Bruce dance together (I'm guessing in both cases not knowing their secret identity), Selina warns Bruce that something major is about to go down, against one/many person (s).

your turn.

As few as possible, hopefully.

The Joker falling from a great height. He dies in Batman '89, but this Batman saves him in TDK.

Batman charging down Joker on/in a Bat-vehicle, on a large narrow street.

89: Batwing
TDK: Batpod

Plus, let's not forgot Joker shooting him down in 89 :p

Joker stealing the franchise.....

Batmobiles getting blown up.

Escaping the Batmobile via a smaller vehicle inside the Batmobile

Joker killing a mob guy at a mob meeting.

1) climax of the first film being the villain trying to destroy the city with a gas.

2) "I'M BATMAN!"

3) Joker dances to Prince music... no wait--

Lots of nighttime scenes....

End credits on black backgrounds.......

:oldrazz:

The love interest finds out his identity.

Catwoman wearing heels.

The Batmobile slimming itself down to give chase (through an alley in BR, to the 'pod in TDK).

Villain hijacks a party/ball/major public event.

I would say Nolan expanded on concepts , or used concepts for slight plot points that the Burton and Schumacer films touched . Here are a few parralleles

-Joker asking Batman to unmask: In this case though , it wasn't the climax of TDK but just an attempt to draw Batman out .
-
Joker Falling: In this case its used as an example of why Batman wont kill as opposed to Keaton's murderous Batman
-
I Believe in Harvey Dent: In B89 we get a sense of him wanting to change Gotham , but his whole storyline pretty much falls by the wasteside and is kinda in the background anyway. Nolan uses it as a centerpiece of TDK
-
Two Face: While Tommy Lee Jones ,had more time as Two Face , the character feels far more fleshed out and dangerous in TDK. He also has the audience sympathies and his motivations make much more sense
-
I'm Batman : Pretty much the same except he does it to the guy who runs Gotham as opposed to some two bit thugs.
-
I bought it in Japan...-We get a sense Bruce has been around the world in B89 but we never see his training , where as Nolan gives us an epic journey around the world during his 7 years abroad. And he travels in TDK and TDKR
-
Shrek's costume ball- This one is pretty odvious , though what happens beyond the two of them dancing and talking is any ones guess for now
-
Revealing identity to love interest: This happened quite often in the other francise , though in this case the character's loved each other since childhood. Plus its only one woman as opposed to every woman who walks in his life .

Bane- Im guessing the comparissons pretty much end there, since it doesn't seem like Tom Hardy's version has a thing for dog collars. He also sounds educated , which is a plus.

Corrupt Cops, Politicans, Mob Guys- Again, touched on in B89 but pretty much falls by the waste side in the 2nd and 3rd acts , and is never dealt with again in the series.

Batman growl- Keaton actually started the whole voice change thing in B89. Before that, the actors , in live action at least, didn't make a great effort to change the voices. However, Kevin Conroy perfected it . However, Bale's Bruce has three sides to him where as Keaton and the others only had two .

Gordon-He's actually competent in this version, and works closely with Batman to achieve a common goal . In the other series, he only called Batman when there was a supervillan the cops couldn't handle.

The only real nods I believe Nolan was knowingly paying homage to, are the masquerade ball in TDKR & the Joker falling in TDK. Like MagnarTheGreat said, I believe Nolan was using the Joker falling as a direct comparison between the two versions, where one has a moral code he at least tries to adhere to, while the other, not so much.

And the masquerade ball is just classic psychological context, obviously showing how Wayne thinks of himself, and what he considers his true identity. Other than that, I think alot of the stuff happening were just comic idiosyncrasies of a character, like the Joker calling Batman out, battling him in public etc., that's just how he operates more than anything IMO. I mean, it's all right there from his very first appearance.

I don't think he deliberately included The Joker falling as a direct comparison; it's purpose is as a character beat within the narrative of TDK. It's the ideal way to show Bruce's moral strength. He could have easily let him fall to his death, but he's better than that.

It's a happy coincidence that it just so happens to show the fundamental difference between Batman in Burton's films and Batman in Nolan's.

Apart from some of the same characters being used and the prescence of snow, I refuse to acknowledge any significant similarities between Nolan's films and Burton's films

But then again, I despise both Burton Bat films on just about every concievable level, so I'm a tad bit biased.

Apart from some of the same characters being used and the prescence of snow, I refuse to acknowledge any significant similarities between Nolan's films and Burton's films

But then again, I despise both Burton Bat films on just about every concievable level, so I'm a tad bit biased.

I can't abide Batman, but I love Batman Returns for what it is... An entirely peculiar elseworlds tale.

I can't abide Batman, but I love Batman Returns for what it is... An entirely peculiar elseworlds tale.

I think that's the only way you can take Batman Returns. Otherwise, you'll simply go insane trying to figure out what the hell they were thinking when they made it.

I will say that BR probably has my favourite set designs ever. That movie has so much atmosphere it's ridiculous.

I think that's the only way you can take Batman Returns. Otherwise, you'll simply go insane trying to figure out what the hell they were thinking when they made it.

I will say that BR probably has my favourite set designs ever. That movie has so much atmosphere it's ridiculous.

Oh yeah! Plus Christopher Walken. In a Batman film. Come on! :awesome:

Oh yeah! Plus Christopher Walken. In a Batman film. Come on! :awesome:

Wearing what could be the worst wig in modern cinematic history.

17789-1296.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"