The Dark Knight Rises What DO you like about The Dark Knight Rises?

great posts, folks, very great reads

another thing i liked about it, is that the picture of Rachel that Bruce has under the white sheet/tarp, is from a publicity still for the Dark Knight:

dark_knight_rachel_dawes1.jpg

tdkrRachelFrame1.jpg

and the frame is a silver "bamboo" frame, like at this link:

http://www.zgallerie.com/p-4172-silver-bamboo-frame.aspx

making it somewhat easy for someone to print the picture, put it in a frame like that, and have a cool prop replica from the movie

That was a good picture to choose of Maggie. I thought she looked adorable in that scene, but after that it was "eh".

- The "speech" of Gordon in Harvey Dent Day and the fact Bruce was watching.
- Selina's first scene
- Bruce returning to the cave to search about her
- Everything from Alfred
- First Bane scene in the sewers
- Bruce and Gordon scene in hospital, even being almost the same from the teaser.
- The ball scene.
- Batman first appearance. Because the scene have some elements of the others Batman action scenes from the two movies and show the reaction of other characters like Selina, Blake, Gordon and even Daggett.
- Selina in The Bat. Looks like she was fangirling inside.
- Football stadium scene and all Bane's speeches.
- The scene in Selina's apartment. The way both characters are exposed there is amazing.
- Batman vs. Bane 1
- Blake going to rescue Gordon. I was tense during this even in the second time I watched the movie.
- Pit scenes
- Bruce leaving the pit without the rope and seeing the bats. All returning to Begins.
- Gordon finding Batman in the ice and lighting the signal. If someone needed to do this, was Gordon.
- Everything from the movie right after Talia's death until the end, mainly the boy saying "that's Batman!" and Gordon finding the signal.

The Third Act, (Burning Bat Symbol, War on the streets, Batman and Bane rematch, Talia reveal, Selina helping Batman, "Air Support", Bruce saving Gotham one last time)

The Ending, (Bruce claiming his own life and well-deserved happiness, Bruce passing his legacy on to another generation and cementing Batman as an immortal symbol)

The Performances

The Photography (and limited use of CG)

The Score

The Risks Nolan took with the story, (passage of 8 years, using Bane as a villain, putting Bruce in a pit for the second act, sending Bruce off into the sunset at the end)

TDKR is a massive accomplishment in my eyes.

Last edited:
There were many things I enjoyed, liked about this movie, but right offhand, fave moments included...

• First time the BAT appears onscreen.
  • When Bruce turns to talk to Selina on the rooftops, and she has already dissapeared. "So that's what that feels like".
  • The first fight between Bats and Bane... best fight of the trilogy. Certainly outdoes any fights involving Joker or Ra's.

Christian Bale’s performance
The other performances
The emotional focus
The score
The rawness of the first Batman/Bane confrontation
The reveal scene: the three actors were great
Caine and Bale’s scenes
Bane’s built up and voice
Bruce/Batman and Selina/Catwoman’s interactions
Bruce in the pit and leaving it
The first time Batman returns and his cool while doing it. Meaning, he is at his element when in cape. Purrfect!

Everything with Selina Kyle/Catwoman
The Bat-Pod chase with the Cops
The pit scenes
The reveal of Rachel's letter to Bruce
All hell breaking loose on Gotham when the explosions go off
Bane breaking Batman
I like all of those things too, especially the first one.

Off the top of my head I also liked:

The score
Seeing the batcave again
The Bat
Batman yelling at Bane about where the trigger is
Alfred's speech to Bruce in the batcave while the emotional 'Nothing Out There' plays
Batman saving Gordon on the ice, and then Blake.
Bruce living at the end.

Other than the whole film, here are what I LOVED:

1) The opening (the music with the company logos as well as the ice and as it breaks it forms the Bat symbol) It's pretty much my favorite opening for this trilogy with Begins coming after.
2) Seeing Bruce for the first time in full (the shot of him lowering the bow and walking towards Selina) with the music just felt like seeing an old friend again :)
3) How Selina walked away from Wayne manor and removed the pieces of her shirt that made it look like a food server's uniform
4) Seeing the Batcave for the first time in the movie
5) Bruce standing in front of the suit display and saying "If this man is everything that you say he is, then the city needs me."
6) The stock exchange scene (again the music. just made it so dark, probably darker than anything in The Dark Knight)
7) Batman's big return (the lights going off, using the EMP gun, being chased by the police while chasing down the criminal and trying to save the hostage only to be chased by ALL police officers)
8) Batman and Selina fighting together :D
9) "So that's how that feels."
10) Batman in the cave without his mask
11) All Alfred scenes (especially if it's Bruce and Alfred)
12) All Lucious and Bruce scenes
13) All scenes with Bruce in the pit, most especially his final attempt to climb out and succeeding
14) Batman vs Bane 1 and 2
15) The moment in Batman vs Bane 2 when Batman is knocked down on the steps but climbs to the top and stands there waiting for Bane to come closer and ready to keep fighting for Gotham.
16) The chase with the Bat and the truck with Catwoman helping out on the Batpod
17) Batman's final words to Gordon
18)The Batman and Catwoman kiss
19) Burning Batsymbol on the bridge (DID NOT expect that and immediately thought of the poster for The Dark Knight)
20) Batman saving Blake from the mercenaries because the fighting looked GREAT. Batman was so much faster and it just felt so much more well executed than any scene of Batman taking out multiple enemies in the trilogy
21) All Bruce Wayne scenes
22) Bruce and Alfred seeing each other at the end and smiling, not saying a word.
23) The shot of Blake on the platform rising
24) Batman having a statue in remembrance of his sacrifice

I liked most of it. The execution was really good. Bane's attitude was fantastic. And we saw Bruce Wayne being treated like a real character. His journey is the core of the movie , and it works wonderfully.

There was a detail i really liked...the music before the plane heist. When Gordon is giving the speech about harvey (right after the bat logo) the music starts before it cuts to the action. That moment i felt...we are in for a hell of a ride. And the movie never loses us after it.

Rises has the rewatchability of Begins , and the flawless pace of TDK.

Last edited:
Something I've always loved about Nolan's Batman movies is that way other characters react to Batman, or the way they talk about him. It gives Batman this great mystery that the previous franchise failed to do. Hearing something as simple as a copy saying, "We lost him. He's got a lot of fire power" sends chills down my spine, because this is how people would react to Batman if he existed in real life. They'd be constantly surprised by what he does, and everything about him would be a mystery.

Ah I wondered when we would get this thread, a positive one!!

I shall hide here now for the rest of my ideas safe in the knowledge no nickpickers will ever venture in here.............yeah fat chance!!

Anyhoo on to the good stuff I loved:

- The two fights with Bane and Batman
- Batman's first re-appearance
- Bruce climbing out the well was an epic moment
- DAT ending!
- The Bat
- Catwoman, just the fact she didnt suck!!

Might have been quicker to just type, the whole god-damn movie, but these moments stood out in probably my most favourite ending film in a trilogy!!

great posts here folks.

and nitpickers arent allowed in here, haha. if they do post, just put them on the ignore list right away so their nitpicks vanish into the "net world".

really great to see all kinds of positive feedback, and what we all really like about the film, as opposed to pages of "internet directors" nitpicking something just because they dont get it.

like Christian Bale said in a recent interview: "the movies i see as one complete movie, with Rises being the end, the entire third act"

The ball scene now tops my charts as one of my all time favorite moments. The music was unbelievable, the chemistry between Hathaway and Bale was so great, and the dialogue was chilling. "there's a storm coming..." line sent chills down my spine.

I also really enjoyed the imagery of the final five minutes. Seeing the look on gordons face when he sees the bat signal, the orphans arriving at Wayne manor, and the bats flying across Blake was awesome.

The ball scene now tops my charts as one of my all time favorite moments. The music was unbelievable, the chemistry between Hathaway and Bale was so great, and the dialogue was chilling. "there's a storm coming..." line sent chills down my spine.

THIS!!!!!!

I loved this scene. Selina saying "I'm adaptable" with the look at Wayne's hand and the music in the background wasss sooooo (for want of a better word) sexy.

I loved the performances by all of the main cast. I thought that Bale was okay in the first two films but I was never wild about his performances like the fanboys were. In Rises he was looser and actually seemed to be having fun for once. He was great.

I loved the chemistry between Bale and Hathaway. Yay for Nolan finally getting an actress who has chemistry with Bale.

I really liked the Bane/Rise theme.

I loved how Robin was reimagined and JGL's performance.

There are other things but that's it for now.

everything about john blake and catwoman. lol

i also got extremely happy at the ras al ghul cameo, as well as scarecrow's. bane pulling a knightfall was also a great surprise.

THIS!!!!!!

I loved this scene. Selina saying "I'm adaptable" with the look at Wayne's hand and the music in the background wasss sooooo (for want of a better word) sexy.
I love the "perhaps you're being unrealistic about what's really in your pants other than your wallet" line. :hrt:

I LOVED on how for the first time ever in live action format, someone had the guts and idea to finally show the consequences and toll that living life of crime fighting can have on a human being within a realistic world. In the previous films before Nolan's ones, I never really got the sense that being Batman was exactly ruining his life, especially in the latter two, and that he was able to do it easily day in and day out. If anything, it felt more like it was a "great adventure", albeit a dark one, for the character.

Here in Nolan's films, you actually see on how much damage Bruce's body has taken from just 2 years worth (BB & TDKR) of having fought crime as Batman, along with how being the real hero for Gotham has taken a lot from Bruce.

I also loved on how Bruce Wayne was finally allowed to have a HAPPY ENDING to at the end of his journey...PERIOD.

As I've said in previous threads, while some can argue that having to will to keep fighting crime for the rest of your life, or at least as long as your body will allow is admirable, I think the fact that Bruce not allowing his pain and tragedy to ruin and rule the rest of his life and him having the guts to move past that after settling things with Gotham is even MORE admirable; it says to me that he's not going to let himself be the victim of his story like Harvey did, and that he's going to move past that.

And as a Bruce Wayne fan, despite it being fake with Miranda in the first act.lol..I did enjoy seeing Bruce Wayne actually have some real passionate scenes with strong female characters (Selina and Talia).

The more times I watch this film, the more I just look forward to any scene with Selina Kyle. Unfortunately she is under-utilised (and, to be perfectly blunt, not even necessary to the story).

The first Batman scene following the stock exchange is great, too.

I like the entire film, but my favourite moments:
-Batman's return, and those strings stabbing the notes from Molossus (among other tracks).

-Tom Hardy in general. Him clambering on top of the Tumbler like a silverback to give his Blackgate speech, and how intense he looks when he says 'We give it back to you! The People! GOTHAM IS YOURS!' and the music that plays when the montage of Gotham being overthrown happens.

-Anne Hathaway, CAT ASS.

-Burning Batlogo in the bridge; Everyone who moans about 'The bomb is going off in a matter of hours, and he paints a batlogo in gasoline' can go **** themselves. It's awesome.

-The sewer fight. That scene ranks as one of my favourites of the trilogy, without a doubt, as does Bane's Blackgate speech.

-Michael Caine making the most of his screen time.

-Rejecting the themes of overcoming fear from Batman Begins.

-The bats flooding out of the well before Bruce makes the jump.

-The ending montage, especially the Bat-statue (Batue?) and the change in the music when Alfred notices Bruce sitting at the table with Selina.

-The fun moments of it; "So that's what that feels like", "That's a lovely lovely voice" etc.

Last edited:
I like the whole Trilogy but TDKR feels something more than just a batman movie, it is more then a regular Batman story which you can get anytime, it is like a partial fulfillment of a mission this is what makes it special.

Just thinking about it, I'm really glad it was raining when Bruce returns to Wayne Manor and Miranda is there. IMO it adds a lot to the scene, with 'On Thin Ice' playing in the background. Bruce has lost his money, is feeling low and the environment is reflecting that.

The Bat logo was probably meant to put Bane off balance.

The fire logo version, yeah. He is surprised about it, saying "impossible". The novelisation also has it being a message to everyone that the Dark Knight has risen, stirring Foley's conscience being one example.

The fire logo version, yeah. He is surprised about it, saying "impossible". The novelisation also has it being a message to everyone that the Dark Knight has risen, stirring Foley's conscience being one example.

Exactly.

Great fun for the movie audience but actually an important strategic maneuver for Batman.

Having seen the film 14 times as of yesterday I think I'm past the picking and choosing specific things I liked. As of now the film gels into one huge satisfying movie. Even the small bits I didn't love form part of the cohesive experience for me. I see how everything fits into place for the overall story. What part all the characters play in Bruces' final journey. The deeper meanings in the performances and acting choices by the actors armed with the knowledge how it all plays out. So the thing I love best about TDKR is the rewatchability of the film. How easy it is to slip into the story and the characters and get lost in that world for its' running time. And feeling both euphoria and sadness when I see the ending montage begin. And just as the end credits start the simple pleasurable thought that I can watch it again and go for another ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"