The Dark Knight Rises What DO you like about The Dark Knight Rises?

Exactly.

Great fun for the movie audience but actually an important strategic maneuver for Batman.

Yeah, in a way, it's almost taunting Bane. It's like he's saying, "I know you can just hit the trigger any time you want, but I'm not going to let my city die without hope."

And he knows Bane will not stand for that, and will want to defeat Batman again if given the chance...which is exactly what Batman wants.

After watching the film for the fourth time I've come to the conclusion that I really liked John Blake's character.

I feel John Blake is pretty much Bruce/Gordon/the Batman idea all rolled into one. I also didn't feel any of his scenes were pointless. He needed the screentime to feel worthy by the end. Plus I think Levitt is a brilliant actor.

Loved Blake from the beginning. He's my second favorite ally to Batman in this series, first being Gordon. Loved what his character represented. And I really enjoy watching JGL act.

I LOVED on how for the first time ever in live action format, someone had the guts and idea to finally show the consequences and toll that living life of crime fighting can have on a human being within a realistic world. In the previous films before Nolan's ones, I never really got the sense that being Batman was exactly ruining his life, especially in the latter two, and that he was able to do it easily day in and day out. If anything, it felt more like it was a "great adventure", albeit a dark one, for the character.

Here in Nolan's films, you actually see on how much damage Bruce's body has taken from just 2 years worth (BB & TDKR) of having fought crime as Batman, along with how being the real hero for Gotham has taken a lot from Bruce.

I also loved on how Bruce Wayne was finally allowed to have a HAPPY ENDING to at the end of his journey...PERIOD.

As I've said in previous threads, while some can argue that having to will to keep fighting crime for the rest of your life, or at least as long as your body will allow is admirable, I think the fact that Bruce not allowing his pain and tragedy to ruin and rule the rest of his life and him having the guts to move past that after settling things with Gotham is even MORE admirable; it says to me that he's not going to let himself be the victim of his story like Harvey did, and that he's going to move past that.

And as a Bruce Wayne fan, despite it being fake with Miranda in the first act.lol..I did enjoy seeing Bruce Wayne actually have some real passionate scenes with strong female characters (Selina and Talia).

Couldn't agree more. And I love for the first time we see such a level of concern for Bruce from Alfred, so much so, that he doesn't want him to be Batman anymore. You would figure that for someone put in charge of Bruce's life, he could only take so much of bandaging him up and letting him go back out there to possibly kill himself. It was nice to see this from Alfred in this movie.

Having seen the film 14 times as of yesterday I think I'm past the picking and choosing specific things I liked. As of now the film gels into one huge satisfying movie. Even the small bits I didn't love form part of the cohesive experience for me. I see how everything fits into place for the overall story. What part all the characters play in Bruces' final journey. The deeper meanings in the performances and acting choices by the actors armed with the knowledge how it all plays out. So the thing I love best about TDKR is the rewatchability of the film. How easy it is to slip into the story and the characters and get lost in that world for its' running time. And feeling both euphoria and sadness when I see the ending montage begin. And just as the end credits start the simple pleasurable thought that I can watch it again and go for another ride.

:up:

I saw it as batman giving Gotham a symbol of hope.

It was to inspire. Inspire hope in people like Foley to stand up and take back the city and inspire fear in Bane.

After watching the film for the fourth time I've come to the conclusion that I really liked John Blake's character.

I feel John Blake is pretty much Bruce/Gordon/the Batman idea all rolled into one. I also didn't feel any of his scenes were pointless. He needed the screentime to feel worthy by the end. Plus I think Levitt is a brilliant actor.

Most definitely.

I really loved the scene where he tells Bruce how he deduced his dual identity. When I first saw TDKR, I too felt it was too early in the film, but man did JGL sell it. It really fit well considering it was one of the many things that ultimately lead to Bruce returning as Batman.

The way Blake, Gordon and Selina, plus everyone else really, reacted to Batman throughout the film really made it feel that Batman really had become something of legendary status in Gotham. Very powerful stuff.

It's a quick shot, but I love the shot of Bane and Daggett coming towards Selina on the rooftop.

Bruce overcoming his hermit status
Bruce rising
Selina Kyle (obviously)
Gordon silently watching TV from his bed, seeing Batman return.
Snowy Gotham City

I like the whole Trilogy but TDKR feels something more than just a batman movie, it is more then a regular Batman story which you can get anytime, it is like a partial fulfillment of a mission this is what makes it special.

That's exactly how I feel about it.

Yeah, in a way, it's almost taunting Bane. It's like he's saying, "I know you can just hit the trigger any time you want, but I'm not going to let my city die without hope."

And he knows Bane will not stand for that, and will want to defeat Batman again if given the chance...which is exactly what Batman wants.

This. Especially after the sewer scene where Bane taunts Batman for using darkness, this is anything but darkness. It's bold, in your face.

"Bane, your *** is mine, and their ain't jack you can do about it."

Bruce overcoming his hermit status
Bruce rising
Selina Kyle (obviously)
Gordon silently watching TV from his bed, seeing Batman return.
Snowy Gotham City

That's exactly how I feel about it.

I cried so much when I saw this. Is so amazing...

I won't start a list. If I do it'll be very repetitious of the other posts and will be so long I may as well post a bootleg of the film :funny:

One thing on my mind at the moment - when Catwoman walks towards Daggett, and he backsteps into the wall. Selina looks so very sexual and confident in her walk. So Catwoman. Sadly its a split second shot!

*zips mouth before list happens*

Last edited:
There's a lot of things I liked about the movie, but off the top of my head right now: I really enjoyed Bruce's pit scenes and when he finally managed to climb out of it. It was a very inspirational scene, wonderfully complimented by the music. I also saw it as a great payoff to the fall Batman takes in TDK, albeit indirectly. Of course, in the context of TDKR it's a payoff to the back-breaking scene by Bane (which I also enjoyed thoroughly), but the falls that Bruce/Batman took in TDK instantly came to my mind when seeing him finally rise out of the pit. It was also nice seeing it brought back to BB, with Bruce returning to a place very similar to the one where it all started. No wonder Bane called it 'home'. And as if on cue, the bats appear as well during his successful climb, I thought that was a really nice touch. Not to mention the flashback with his father and the iconic "Why do we fall?"...that line really is one of the quintessential ones of Nolan's trilogy. All in all, a great scene. Among my favorites from the movie and the trilogy as well.

I really liked the use of the 'chant' in the film as well. I loved the scenes where it would be preceded by the drums or it would be just the drums, such as the scene where Batman and Catwoman take off while Bane and his men walk towards them and Bane's speech at the stadium. I thought those drums added a lot to Bane's immense presence almost whenever he was on-screen.

Oh and it was really nice seeing Bale's great chemistry with both of his co-stars (even though Marion's time was rather limited) on this occasion. I also loved practically everything to do with Anne Hathaway's Catwoman. She was the one who really surprised me, as I hadn't seen any of her movies before. The rest of the cast was great, but I was expecting that.

I like those still action, quiet, calculating moments: Bane at the stock market...Batman's first return and he's just standing there as police begin to swarm, trying to understand the mobil device and simultaneously calculating his escape...Catwoman in Daggets place silently picking the lock and watching the news of Batman on TV...Bane taking the time to listen to the Star Spangled Banner song before "the games begin"...Catwoman after she has blasted an opening for an escape route, contemplates if she should jet out of Gotham or stay to help fight...Talia waiting for her moment and watching out the window as Bane and Batman fights in front of City Hall...and her again, the look on her face, as she realizes that the signal to the detonator was blocked...and Batman in the cockpit, choosing to live...and finally "the head nod" telling Alfred and the audience that everything's okay.

Last edited:
I like those still action, quiet, calculating moments: Bane at the stock market...Batman's first return and he's just standing there as police begin to swarm, trying to understand the mobil device and simultaneously calculating his escape...Catwoman in Daggets place silently picking the lock and watching the news of Batman on TV...Bane taking the time to listen to the Star Spangled Banner song before "the games begin"...Catwoman after she has blasted an opening for an escape route, contemplates if she should jet out of Gotham or stay to help fight...Talia waiting for her moment and watching out the window as Bane and Batman fights in front of City Hall...and her again, the look on her face, as she realizes that the signal to the detonator was blocked...and Batman in the cockpit, choosing to live...and finally "the head nod" telling Alfred and the audience that everything's okay.

:up:

Those are good moments indeed.

The segment *after* Talia's death where Batman attaches the bomb to the Bat, kisses Selina and gives his speech to Gordon and flies off is amazing.

Good stuff there. I loved all of those moments. :up: :hrt:

Everything. From the score to the direction, to the overall tone of the movie. It's just a perfect comic book movie, and the greatest Superhero trilogy of all time.

While I love the entire movie, and it would be much easier to pick out things I actually don't like (which I think is missing the point)...

I will say that there's one thing I REALLY like that a whole lot of people seem to hate:

Bane's death. I LOVE that they went that route, I like it when movies do. You kill your main villain in the least gracefull or grandiose way possible. Damn good show. That's one of the few things I liked about Ghost Rider: SOV, I LIKE the fact that their villain gets a blunt and undignified death.

It happens in the real world, too.

Adolf Hitler have an awesome death? Nope, he killed himself in his special hiding place.

Osama Bin Laden have a graceful death? Nope, he was just bluntly shot in the face.

Bane was possibly my favourite villain of the series, and I love the fact that he was taken out in such a simple and uninteresting fashion.

I also like that at first you think he actually HAD shot and killed Batman. That initial bang the first time seeing it makes you freak out.

Selina Kyle was the most awesome female character in any comic book movie. Not only is Anne Hathway's hotness a major factor, but her acting is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"