Paramount's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume you have an issue with Raph taking all the bells of the mannequin in the smoke without a sound in TMNT2 as well? Honest question.

tmnt is no more realistic when it comes to this particular issue than the fellowship of the ring. Skilled characters can sneak around with back backs on. It's fantasy.

Actually the bell thing is a good example of ninjutsu, actual ninjutsu. In modern media, TMNT as well, ninjas are skilled super confrontational warriors, not resourceful in the art of nothingness. Shinobi were most concerned with never being spotted, heard, or identified. The bell scene, while largely "Hollywood" is something I can suspend disbelief for. Ditto for Don in glasses, a backpack, etc. Thing is, that he has SO MUCH on him that the design starts to stretch the limits of what I am going to believe in terms of concealment.

I get they wanted to present him as the tech guy, but it feels a bit much for anyone to practically use all of that equipment, even in fantasy let alone hide in the shadows with a giant mobile command center of sorts. It's not bad if this is what he wears some of the time, but if it is, as I suspect from the promotional material, throughout much of the movie; I don't know if I can dig it.

How can he even slide down the mountain in the humvee scene? Is the backpack greased up? Are the cameras going to break off? etc. It's just a lot in terms of mobility.

P.S. TMNT 2, is like... the perfect Ninja Turtles movie for me.

Thought this was pretty cool. If the TMNT were human and had a sparring session...

[YT]eg9nJqvVYqU[/YT]

So I guess the people in design working on this movie work in a " stupid" frame of mind bc some don't like what they see? SMH that's not an opinion, that's stupidity in itself. :whatever:

How does he slide down the hill without the gear falling off? How does batman have all that gear in his belt...

It's one thing for fans to question if something they seemingly love will be present in a film, sleek utility belt whilst allowing for tons of bat tools for example, but we've reached the point on this particular film where seeing said element present on screen isn't enough...it also has to come under the new found rules of absolute realism.

They sneak around, gear or no gear, they slide down hills and things are fastened securely. This isn't some documentary. How Mike/Raph properly use/hold their weapons with only 3 digits per finger will be the next thing...

I liked Trutles 2 as a kid. Not so much a fan of anything in the 3rd act.

Thought this was pretty cool. If the TMNT were human and had a sparring session...

[YT]eg9nJqvVYqU[/YT]

Love that vid.
(then again I love everything regardless of faithfulness).

How does he slide down the hill without the gear falling off? How does batman have all that gear in his belt...

It's one thing for fans to question if something they seemingly love will be present in a film, sleek utility belt whilst allowing for tons of bat tools for example, but we've reached the point on this particular film where seeing said element present on screen isn't enough...it also has to come under the new found rules of absolute realism.

They sneak around, gear or no gear, they slide down hills and things are fastened securely. This isn't some documentary. How Mike/Raph properly use/hold their weapons with only 3 digits per finger will be the next thing...

I liked Trutles 2 as a kid. Not so much a fan of anything in the 3rd act.

Batman would be kind of a bad example, since I kind of hate him and his wonderful toys. I mean, Arkham Asylum and the Animated Series/Beyond might be the three times I've enjoyed ol' Bats and even then, I've just kind of tolerated him.

I'm not a realism hound, I don't need to be shown any and everything, I just don't like this. I've never once asked them to change their vision, I've simply said I don't care for it and to me it makes no sense.

In fact, I wrote a huge published article about how fantasy has to come back to these movies because I ****ing hate the direction they've taken. But again, there are somethings that will irk your brain. This irks mine. It's just bad design to me and when I see him it's like... glaring. Like he doesn't belong in what I've seen. That is not an objective criticism of the film, it is me not digging it to the point where it can remove me from what they are trying to achieve. The more I see of him, the less I enjoy what I am seeing.

It's not even so much a debate as me factually saying "This stands out, my brain doesn't like it". It's like telling you I don't enjoy the taste of sushi. My palette isn't jiving with it. Much like food, there is some stuff that simply is "meh" to you, and others that are vomit worthy. This is nearing vomit worthy. So much so that I was perhaps the most hyped person I knew for this film up until I saw ol' Jar Jar Tello.

It jived all over TMNT 2. The only turtles movie I have not enjoyed was III and that...

...yeah...

If you are talking about not liking his look. To each their own. I heard similar sentiments about previous takes on these characters(see missing tooth). Everyone has, and is entitled to their opinion...like sushi.

Like I said it's when people start with the, 'it makes no sense' or it's 'bad' character design and take it beyond that...where, I find contention.

Same goes with the case by case demand for realism...

As a 3D artist myself, I see that Don still with the yelling and I not only applaud the cgi(still can't believe that entire shot is computer generated), but the ideas and design work that is being employed here. I think a young audience walks into the theater(not so dissimilar to my first time experience walking into the first film) and probably appreciates it, has their imagination stimulated...
I simply see more 'design and creativity in the name of character' present here than in the raccoon 'design' in that other august film.
It's that last reason in particular that I continue to say, 'great design work here'.
Some people think blades hair cut is absolutely stupid, some don't. I mostly care about what it adds/says about the characterization.

Reminds me a bit of the jim henson work on dark crystal. Someone should have told the good people that work on this film that their talents and imagination would be better served on star wars, cause at least there, such things would be appreciated/celebrated for what they are.
imo

If you are talking about not liking his look. To each their own. I heard similar sentiments about previous takes on these characters(see missing tooth). Everyone has, and is entitled to their opinion...like sushi.

Like I said it's when people start with the, 'it makes no sense' or it's 'bad' character design and take it beyond that...where, I find contention.

Same goes with the case by case demand for realism...

As a 3D artist myself, I see that Don still with the yelling and I not only applaud the cgi(still can't believe that entire shot is computer generated), but the ideas and design work that is being employed here. I think a young audience walks into the theater(not so dissimilar to my first time experience walking into the first film) and probably appreciates it, has their imagination stimulated...
I simply see more 'design and creativity in the name of character' present here than in the raccoon 'design' in that other august film.
It's that last reason in particular that I continue to say, 'great design work here'.
Some people think blades hair cut is absolutely stupid, some don't. I mostly care about what it adds/says about the characterization.

Reminds me a bit of the jim henson work on dark crystal. Someone should have told the good people that work on this film that their talents and imagination would be better served on star wars, cause at least there, such things would be appreciated/celebrated for what they are.
imo

I do think it is impractical and bad.

Thing is, I can't deny you the rest of it. These turtles as a work of animation, Jesus, they're works of art. While I think the concept is a bit overdone (again, in my mind, not factually) the actual effects are astounding. Anyone throwing around a "videogame" (there's always one...) term near release should be drug out into the street and shot.

The skin in particular, and the rattling of his lips as he screams.

OOMF.

The turtles look fantastic.

Don't get complaints about them being ugly. They're giant turtles. When were they ever anything but?

I don't get it either.

Great designs.

I honestly don't get it either. I like how this film looks genuinely. I'm excited to see it.

I agree with all of you I do not understand the complaints of the designs/looks/size. Basically what it comes down to is its Michael Bay and everyone will complain just for that. But also because everyone is so stuck on the old looks of them in the previous films. They don't want and can't accept change. Oh welllll ****ing sucks for them cause while they're complaining and crying I'm loving it and excited.

I do think it is impractical and bad.

Thing is, I can't deny you the rest of it. These turtles as a work of animation, Jesus, they're works of art. While I think the concept is a bit overdone (again, in my mind, not factually) the actual effects are astounding. Anyone throwing around a "videogame" (there's always one...) term near release should be drug out into the street and shot.

The skin in particular, and the rattling of his lips as he screams.

OOMF.

It is a shame when good work goes unappreciated. The truth of the matter tends to come out when the GA get their hands on it. As was the (same) case with TF.

I love how all of these geek sites keep posting this TMNT fight style video and say things like " Upset over the new Bay produced TMNT? this will make you feel better" but NEVER mention that the guy playing Leo is an actual stunt double in the new movie lol. Its irresponsible.. I wonder if its intentional as it is obvious that the media cant help but jump in on the latest internet hate trend. They are never interested in the truth it seems. Just site hits and ratings. I remember reading an Eastman interview where he said that him and the other people involved in making this movie find it amusing what they read in the press. How incredibly misguided and premature the stuff they publish lol. Seeing the Turtles lair and how they dress actually resembles the personality of a teenager. Teenagers always go over board when it comes to expressing themselves. I find it relatable when I see the turtles all decked out.. even if some of it does look obnoxious lol.. THEY"RE TEENAGERS!

I agree with all of you I do not understand the complaints of the designs/looks/size. Basically what it comes down to is its Michael Bay and everyone will complain just for that. But also because everyone is so stuck on the old looks of them in the previous films. They don't want and can't accept change. Oh welllll ****ing sucks for them cause while they're complaining and crying I'm loving it and excited.

Don't make generalizations, there isn't a Bay film I don't love. Revenge of the Fallen was a little lackluster, but I still loved it.

Edit: Wait. Armageddon wasn't my thing, but still.

I can also accept change as I like some bits of the designs, and not other aspects. It doesn't really suck for me either way because movies do not define the enjoyment factor of my entire existence. People told me I was missing out when I skipped TDKR, and I've yet to see it, because I've yet to care.

It is a shame when good work goes unappreciated. The truth of the matter tends to come out when the GA get their hands on it. As was the (same) case with TF.

Truth. I can't believe it's been... what? 7 years? Since the first TF and the first movie still looks phenomenal and tons of little nerds are still talking about how bad the effects are. I want to tell them just how hard it is to create something like that as I used to dabble in 2D and 3D animation before switching over to writing. (Bad idea job wise, in retrospect.)

The turtles will look amazing on screen. Sheesh they already do and effects will be finalized until release.

Last edited:
im feeling pretty comfortable with this new trailer, love the splinter scene!

They were never giant turtles. I could forgive pretty much any design decision apart from the scale. It breaks SO many things with the turtles.

The Turtles were always only about 5 foot. They were (young) teenagers. They were fast, stealthy, and the little home-schooled underdogs to the foot. Their shells could protect them, but their skills were necessary for their survival.[/quote]

Have you ever seen a real life turtle?

Most of them aren't five feet tall.

They're quite small.

Therefore yes, they always have been giant turtles once mutated.

Now they're 8 foot giant hulking beasts. How the hell are you meant to be stealthy at that size?

The same way you can be stealthy at any size...stealth is about speed and skill and how well one moves, not only one's size.

I don't see why they even bother with ninjitsu when they can so massively over power anyone; Sure martial arts help you bring down larger opponents.. but the Foot can kick and punch these turtles all they want and not even move them, it'd be like hitting a wall.

How is Shredder going to even be a threat when they can just grab him by the foot and keep smashing him into walls? They could just sit on him. Problem solved. Do they have to have all their weapons custom made for their size? How do they even fit down manholes for a quick escape?

You're making a lot of assumptions about their strength levels.

And assumptions about Shredder's.

I honestly like how the masks are all basically ragged makeshifts, how the **** would they make perfect looking masks? Even Donnie can't really sew I don't think.

This. It's one of the details about these designs that I really like.

I love how all of these geek sites keep posting this TMNT fight style video and say things like " Upset over the new Bay produced TMNT? this will make you feel better" but NEVER mention that the guy playing Leo is an actual stunt double in the new movie lol. Its irresponsible.. I wonder if its intentional as it is obvious that the media cant help but jump in on the latest internet hate trend. They are never interested in the truth it seems. Just site hits and ratings. I remember reading an Eastman interview where he said that him and the other people involved in making this movie find it amusing what they read in the press. How incredibly misguided and premature the stuff they publish lol. Seeing the Turtles lair and how they dress actually resembles the personality of a teenager. Teenagers always go over board when it comes to expressing themselves. I find it relatable when I see the turtles all decked out.. even if some of it does look obnoxious lol.. THEY"RE TEENAGERS!

Except we know a good deal about what will be in this movie despite them holding back information which in itself a big giveaway that this is what we think. If they had the goods to prove us wrong they would show it.

The discrepancy is whether these things are actually good. I'm sure they would argue they are but but it strikes me as somewhat arrogant to suggest that we need to see things in full context to decide if we like it or not. We do't need to see the full movie to decide whether the designs look appealing to us or not. We don't need to see the full movie to know if the idea of a generic white businessman as the Shredder appeals to us or not.

You know what.. I just did some photo shopping of the shot with Sachs looking at the Shredder suit and I SWEAR there is something in there! Ill bet its Saki. You can see his eyes if you look closely. I thought it was just metal but im pretty sure its something's eyes. Very interesting. Damn now I REALLY think they're hiding something from us

The CGI is fine, but it's just something about the lips/nose that looks, well, weird. Other than that, they look okay to me, but man in that trailer, Donatello comes off dangerously close to this:

Jjportrait.jpg

60645-jar_jar_binks_poster_card_c10227315_large.jpeg

So far, this film puts me in a similar mindset I had with another Platinum Dunes reboot. I remember having similar hopes for the Nightmare on Elm Street film from Platinum Dunes. Everyone talked about how...

(A) good it looked
(B) Freddy (Jackie Earle Haley) looked more realistic/designed to resemble what a real burn victim would look like
(C) it benefited from modern technology/CGI
(D) Haley was the perfect replacement for Englund & a great actor
(E) The trailer was well-done, & everything looked exquisite.

Of course, then it turned out to be a piece of garbage. I hope this isn't the case for this film.

I actually like that movie...people think way too much of those movies. They got pretty stupid and hokey after a while. Most slasher franchises do. I don't get all the hate...do people expect every single movie they see to be Oscar winners?

I actually like that movie...people think way too much of those movies. They got pretty stupid and hokey after a while. Most slasher franchises do. I don't get all the hate...do people expect every single movie they see to be Oscar winners?

That seems to be the typical response to any kind of "hate" toward one of these genre type of films. No one expects it to be Oscar-caliber. If that were the case, fans of these types of films would only like Nolan's Bat trilogy because that's pretty much it.

People are passionate about things & they get that way about things they care deeply about. That's the best response I can give you. Therefore, if I've waited 15 years for a Justice League movie, of course I'm going to be watching it with anticipation & critiquing the things that I don't care for such as casting, plot synopsis, etc. I mean, if everyone should just wait until the film comes out (without offering their opinions on what they've seen so far) what's the purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"