Penny Dreadful

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have xfinity or any version of Showtime Anytime you can watch the second episode now.

So I watched the second episode. Much more like it. Fantastic really. Everything that I found lacking from the pilot I found here. Everyone does something interesting, the dialogue is much better, and you really get to explore the characters. We learn what Vanessa and Malcolm are repenting for, the introduction of Billie Piper's character, we meet Dorian Gray, and Victor's creature gets to experience the world.

- The seance is creepy, off-putting and terrific. Eva Green is fantastic in the scene.

- Hartnett and Piper have great chemistry, that make their scenes quite enjoyable.

- While I found Victor quite boring in the pilot, I found him so much more intriguing here. He becomes a father and takes to it like a fish to water.

Also the ending.... something else.

The ending is one of the biggest shocks I can remember having. It is without a doubt the best representation I can remember. It turns the entire show on its head.

If the show is more like the second episode, this has great potential.

Really enjoyed the premiere, Eva Green is great as Vanessa

The premiere was alright. I was expecting more. Still excited to watch the 2nd episode when I get a chance.

That seance in episode 2 was creepy as ****!:shock

Edit: Did NOT see that ending coming!!!

rgQtFNo.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, the second episode is pretty great, with a real shocker of an ending.

Yeah, the second episode is pretty great, with a real shocker of an ending.

That second episode is imo a much more sophisticated beast. The pilot doesn't really compare, and I loved it so you can imagine how much I loved the second episode.

Who or what was the man at the end of ep2 or we should not know at this time ?

Who or what was the man at the end of ep2 or we should not know at this time ?

Your guess is as good as mine. He said "The First Son has returned, Father." So he's the First Son...whatever that is.

Ok good thanks. I thought it was someone known from the "classic monsters" and didn't recognized the character.

Ok good thanks. I thought it was someone known from the "classic monsters" and didn't recognized the character.

My own guess is that he may be the son of Amum Ra and Amunet. The egyptologist spoke of their union bringing about the Beast and the darkness. So this must be him.

I really love how this show is using Egyptian mythology. It's a nice change from the usual Judeo-Christian mythology.

Holy hell, the second episode took the premise the first laid out and ran with it out of the park! A candidate for the best second episodes ever?

Love the characterizations and relationships so far. Like the new spin on Dorian's excesses -- sick little mofo is he! Billie Piper's Irish immigrant was earthy and likeable. The father and sons dynamic of Frankenstein and his creations was quite beautifully (and unexpectedly) set up

And man, how riveting was Eva Green in the seance scene? Timothy Dalton has never looked better on screen and added to the powerful emotions unfolding with his clenched, stored-up grief.

Episode 2 is fantastic! Eva in that seance scene and... THAT ending! Oh my god!

Your guess is as good as mine. He said "The First Son has returned, Father." So he's the First Son...whatever that is.

My own guess is that he may be the son of Amum Ra and Amunet. The egyptologist spoke of their union bringing about the Beast and the darkness. So this must be him.

I really love how this show is using Egyptian mythology. It's a nice change from the usual Judeo-Christian mythology.

Huh :huh:

He says "Your first born has returned father". Clearly Proteus wasn't Frankenstein's first creation. If he was the son of Aman Ra and Amunet why would he call Victor "father"?

He could have called him father because he made his birth possible.
I don't think he is Victor previous creation, his coming was way too supernatural, so Marvolo theory might be correct, close to the truth or total wrong :)
Additional note : I digged Dorian Gray look, it was somehow accurate to the era yet modern.

That second episode is imo a much more sophisticated beast. The pilot doesn't really compare, and I loved it so you can imagine how much I loved the second episode.
The pilot was hit and miss with me, but I really, really liked the second episode.

Huh :huh:

He says "Your first born has returned father". Clearly Proteus wasn't Frankenstein's first creation. If he was the son of Aman Ra and Amunet why would he call Victor "father"?
He could have called him father because he made his birth possible.
I don't think he is Victor previous creation, his coming was way too supernatural, so Marvolo theory might be correct, close to the truth or total wrong :)
Additional note : I digged Dorian Gray look, it was somehow accurate to the era yet modern.
I am pretty sure RockSP is right, and that is what I thought after my mind was blown at the end of the episode. That is why I was freaking out.

Have any of you read the Mary Shelley's Frankenstein? Because the man at the end of the episode fit the character description perfectly. Add his words, plus his general anger and I'd say it is most definitely Frankenstein's creature. And I love it, because rarely if ever do you see a proper representation of the character's look. Usually we see something inspired by the films of the 30s. So I was a little disappointed at the end of the pilot, but this most certainly made up for it. They really are going back to the source material here.

I wondered when Rory Kinnear would show up since his name was in the opening credits and lo behold he made his bloody entrance.

Kinnear appears to be the
monster of the shelley Frankenstein story
come back to mess with Victor as he does in the book.

Oh you poor uncultured children, those that have read the source materials (Dracula, Frankenstein, Portrait of Dorian Grey,etc.) can tell the monster at the end of the second episode is Adam, Frankenstein's first creation. Which is brilliant because I was thinking this version of Frankenstein's monster was just adapted to fit the story and we see that's not the case. But i still don't see why Victor has a British accent if he's supposed to be of German/Bavarian ancestry, as it is in the book.

The plot is still thin at this point but hopefully it will pick up soon. There's so many good hints as to where this story might be going but if i had to guess, the 'Ripper' murders belong to the Wolf Man/werewolf, Dorian Grey's immortality will tie into the Egyptian dark Gods quest for power visa vie the vampires that have kidnapped Mina. There's still plenty of other horror icons to adapt as well- the Mummy, The Phantom of the Opera, Dr.Jeckyl/Hyde, the Invisible Man and so on.

Oh you poor uncultured children, those that have read the source materials (Dracula, Frankenstein, Portrait of Dorian Grey,etc.) can tell the monster at the end of the second episode is Adam, Frankenstein's first creation.

Or you could just...y'know...listen to the words that came out of his mouth. :o

The trailers for this have been showing every 20 minutes in UK and it looks very interesting. Don't think it's started yet though.

Why would Frankenstein's first creation have red eyes? And come bursting from inside Proteus for that matter? Im sticking by my theory. This thing is the Beast and a product of amun ra and amunet's union curse. It might even be in the form of Frankenstein's first creation, but it isnt actually him.

"Father" in the english language doesnt always refer to a paternal parent.

Last edited:
He didn't burst from inside him. He punched through him from behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philippe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"