Perhaps Rhaegar married Lyanna

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones' started by mocomic, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Ms. Marvel

Ms. Marvel Screwed up Avenger

Out of curiosity, if the truth about Tommen and Joffrey came out, what happens to all the men they knighted or bastards they legitimised? Would it all be reversed?

2. Reek

Reek _____

Should be, but the only bastard legitimized (show wise) is dead now. it would have also meant Barristan was still the head of the kingsguard, jaime still has his oaths, etc.

3. Reek

Reek _____

Marg protected tommen though... the citizens didn't despise him and call him bastard, and incest ****, and throw piles of crap at him like Joff... so people knew, just seemed they didn't much care when it was Tommen

4. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

The thing with bastards being acknowledged, is that there really isn't any legal "process". Ned basically just told the people around him that the boy was his bastard son and that was basically the long and short of it. With Robert he didn't really know any of his bastards, just had the vague idea that they existed and didn't seek any of them out.

5. Reek

Reek _____

yea and Roose doesn't REALLY know Ramsay is his bastard... he 'knew' the same way Stannis 'knew' about Gendry... his eyes, etc.

6. Marvolo

Marvolo Well-Known Member

No I'm just accepting the facts. He took an oath that stated his watch would end when he died. He died. His watch was ended. The oath doesn't say his watch ends at death unless resurrected.

7. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

[​IMG]

8. Reek

Reek _____

9. Sakuraba

Sakuraba Seer of Visions

Jon left on a loophole. The author of the oath clearly didn't have resurrection in mind since the oath ends "...for this night, and all the nights to come." To the author's wording, when you die it is permanent and you have no more nights left to give. Jon is still alive and spends his nights in winterfell.

I know I'm not going to convince you, but let me ask you this, why haven't any of the Northern lords, especially pre battle of the bastards, questioned him as a deserter?

10. Unbreakable Lex

Unbreakable Lex Criminal Mastermind

They did when he went to the Sept in season 5 trying to get Loras freed.

11. Sakuraba

Sakuraba Seer of Visions

Yes we were led to believe that the High Sparrow had all of the commoners and peasants. "You are the few, we are the many." He said it best in his rebuttal to Olenna's threat of starving the Crownlands. Hopefully there will be some fallout from "the many" for Cersei blowing up the Sept

12. Ms. Marvel

Ms. Marvel Screwed up Avenger

Well actually he isn't...he's undead.

13. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

Still, it is naive for Lyanna to assume that if she runs off with Rhaegar her family will be OK with it, especially when she was already betrothed and Prince Rhaegar married. She was responsible for the death of her family members whether it was intentional or not.

14. Sakuraba

Sakuraba Seer of Visions

^ I guess it's her whole independent spirit, you don't choose who you love, blah blah blah.

Rhaegar, crown prince and all around swell guy would have to be considered an upgrade over Robert. Even though Robert was handsome, rugged, and a badass; he was still a savage man ****e, and she knew that.

15. BestGirl

BestGirl Chillin' on Dragonstone

I hope we get a scene of commoners discussing Cersei like we did earlier in season 6. There ought to be rumors that Cersei has wildfire buried under the city ready to go off at a moment's notice just to cow the populace into submission.

16. Unbreakable Lex

Unbreakable Lex Criminal Mastermind

I'd like everyone to leave Kings Landing so Cersei is left alone in the city with the Mountain and Qyburn. Total silence. Nothing to rule.

17. DarthSkywalker

There is one obvious clue that Jon is legitimate and yet is seemingly ignored by many who don't want Jon to be so. The Kingsguard was protecting the Tower of Joy. Why would they be there if not to protect the royal offspring? Especially with the crown prince riding to battle? Instead of protecting Rhaegar they decided to stick around and protect a bastard... that isn't how that works. GRRM put them there as a huge clue. Namely, that is a Targ heir in that tower.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  18. Reek

Reek _____

19. DarthSkywalker

The scene as it appears in the book:

There is a lot in in the words of the Kingsguard here. Namely that they are in fact still Kingsguard, and that they are following their oath. They don't run from it. Ned wonders why they aren't with Viserys, the theoretical new heir. They are juxtaposed with Jaime (oathbreaker) and Ser Williem Darry (the man who saves Viserys and Dany's lives at Dragonstone). Neither are true Kingsguard (In Darry's case his brother was but he wasn't). But Dayne, Hightower and and Whent are. They are true believers in the Targs and their claim to the Iron Throne. They made oath and they are keeping it. They emphasis it. Now how are they doing that by being at the Tower of Joy? They didn't go to Dragonstone but stayed at the Tower of Joy. Why? Because the legitimate royal heir is in the Tower of Joy. :cwink:

I am sure DigificWriter and other non-believers have a fine explanation for this. :yay:

20. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

As a non-book reader (I have the books but no time to read them), this makes the scene at the Tower of Joy seemed much more logical.

21. DarthSkywalker

Glad to help. :up:

22. Guts

Guts Gul

I think it's very much a possibility that Rhaegar was in a polygamous relationship.
    [​IMG]

23. Rowsdower!

Rowsdower! Well-Known Member

Yeah, perhaps. I mean, Rhaegar's wife was from Dorne, and if most people in Dorne share Oberyn's and Ellaria's attitudes about love and sex, maybe his wife was totally cool with him running off with Lyanna.

24. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

I don't know that she was happy with it, because Oberyn and Doran were apparently VERY pissed off by Rhaegar running off with another woman and basically shaming Elia. But I don't think that would have stopped Rhaegar from doing what he wanted, he's a Targaryen after all.

25. DarthSkywalker

If I remember correctly, Elia was very frail and not really capable of having another child without risking death. That may have played into the situation on her end.