Perhaps Rhaegar married Lyanna

Yeah she struggled to birth Rhaenys, and almost died birthing Aegon. If the House of the Undying vision was anything to go by, Rhaegar felt even though Aegon was the Prince who was Promised, he needed a third child because "the dragon must have three heads."

I don't know that she was happy with it, because Oberyn and Doran were apparently VERY pissed off by Rhaegar running off with another woman and basically shaming Elia. But I don't think that would have stopped Rhaegar from doing what he wanted, he's a Targaryen after all.

Ah yes, I remember that now. You're right.

I really hope we get either a few scenes next season with Rhaegar or a full-on prequel series because the character is fascinating. I want to see how they depict him. Is he just a selfish a**hole like Paris who doesn't give a crap that running off with a particular woman will start a war? Is he truly smitten with Lyanna, or is he so fixated on the "three dragon heads" prophecy that he's willing to put the whole kingdom in jeopardy? Why did obviously good men like Barristan and Arthur Dayne believe in him so much when his actions threw the entire kingdom into turmoil? So many questions to be answered.

There is one obvious clue that Jon is legitimate and yet is seemingly ignored by many who don't want Jon to be so. The Kingsguard was protecting the Tower of Joy. Why would they be there if not to protect the royal offspring? Especially with the crown prince riding to battle? Instead of protecting Rhaegar they decided to stick around and protect a bastard... that isn't how that works. GRRM put them there as a huge clue. Namely, that is a Targ heir in that tower.

Exactly

Having his men next to him would have saved his life, but he left the kingsguard, the best warriors and his best friend to protect the tower and the newborn in there, it was obviously more important to him than his own life. Would he have done all that just for a bastard? If Rhaegar was a firm believer in the prophecy (which he was) he wouldn't have left that baby as a simple bastard.

I really hope we get either a few scenes next season with Rhaegar or a full-on prequel series because the character is fascinating. I want to see how they depict him. Is he just a selfish a**hole like Paris who doesn't give a crap that running off with a particular woman will start a war? Is he truly smitten with Lyanna, or is he so fixated on the "three dragon heads" prophecy that he's willing to put the whole kingdom in jeopardy? Why did obviously good men like Barristan and Arthur Dayne believe in him so much when his actions threw the entire kingdom into turmoil? So many questions to be answered.

Yes, there's so much to explore but I doubt we'll have the time for that in the show. The story with Lyanna goes beyond a simple "He liked her so he kidnapped her"

I find very intriguing all those theories about Lyanna being the mysterious Knight of the laughing tree at the Tourney of Harrenhal, I mean, the knight was short and looked frail, his armor seemed to be thrown together at the last minute and he defeated the guys who were making fun of Howland Reed (which Lyanna saw). For those who are not familiar with this theory:

During the tourney, a mystery knight (with a laughing weirwood on his shield) had entered the ranks and defeated the three knights whose squires had picked on the crannogman. When offered their armor for his victories, he requested that they teach their squires humility instead. The King demanded to find out who the mystery knight was and sent his son, the prince, to unmask him, but all the prince found was the knight's shield hanging from a tree. It is suspected that this tourney was the Tourney of Harrenhal, the Crannogman was Howland Reed, the Young Wolf was Ned, Wild Wolf was Brandon, the She Wolf was Lyanna, the King was Aerys and the prince was Rhaegar. Lyanna was the mystery knight, defending Howland Reed's honor, and Rhaegar found this out and fell in love with her at the Tourney of Harrenhal and granted her the Crown of Love and Beauty.
Aerys sent Rhaegar out searching for the Knight of the Laughing Tree 'cause he felt threatened, but Rhaegar came back claiming he couldn't find him, and then crowned Lyanna at the tournament.

Rhaegar is a very fascinating and intriguing character, he's the catalyst of most of the events we're watching and if he was right with the whole prophecy he might be the one saving the world. :wow:
It's so fascinating that a character like him is dead as the events begin unfolding.

I wish we could have at least one episode with just the events of Robert's rebellion, having a tv show about it would be a dream :p

Exactly
I wish we could have at least one episode with just the events of Robert's rebellion, having a tv show about it would be a dream :p

That's what I hope we see next season. I hope they actually cast an actor to play Rhaegar. We seen Lyanna, now we should see Jons true father.

I just looked up the actress who played (adult) Lyanna, Aisling Franciosi. Yeah, we definitely need a Rhaegar and Lyanna prequel episode just so we can see some more of her. I'd start a war if it meant I could bed that chick.

The scene as it appears in the book:

There is a lot in in the words of the Kingsguard here. Namely that they are in fact still Kingsguard, and that they are following their oath. They don't run from it. Ned wonders why they aren't with Viserys, the theoretical new heir. They are juxtaposed with Jaime (oathbreaker) and Ser Williem Darry (the man who saves Viserys and Dany's lives at Dragonstone). Neither are true Kingsguard (In Darry's case his brother was but he wasn't). But Dayne, Hightower and and Whent are. They are true believers in the Targs and their claim to the Iron Throne. They made oath and they are keeping it. They emphasis it. Now how are they doing that by being at the Tower of Joy? They didn't go to Dragonstone but stayed at the Tower of Joy. Why? Because the legitimate royal heir is in the Tower of Joy. :cwink:

I am sure DigificWriter and other non-believers have a fine explanation for this. :yay:

Yep, that's what I said on page 1. It's all there in that one passage. I figured out R+L=J after reading that chapter for the first time. I was so proud of myself when I went on the internet afterwards and all the learned ASOIAF fans seemed to agree with my theory. :woot:

Last edited:
Joffrey knew Gendry was a bastard, and chose to pull a "King Herod", but I'm talking about LEGAL acknowledgment of one's bastard status here, which Jon has and Gendry doesn't.

Even if he's Lyanna and Rhaegar's bastard, Jon was legally acknowledged as Ned's; unless my understanding of the way that legal bastard acknowledgment works in Westeros (the world as a whole, not the continent/kingdom) is wrong, that's not going to change even if/when it comes to light that Jon is in fact the bastard son of Rhaegar.

You are clearly determined to try and pick fights with me, which says more about you than it does about me.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

In order for me to have a debate/fight with someone, the other person would have to have the slightest idea as to what they are talking about. Had you not been a condescending snail so often, I might not despise you.

As for the legal crap.. the thread title is PERHAPS RHAEGAR MARRIED LYANNA. If Jon is known to be their son... and they were married. He is not a bastard.

Educate yourself before you try educating others. it gets old.

sbtDhaA.gif

I think he would be the opposite of Viserys but have a likable charismatic personality like early Jaime. He would probably have a bit of Marg Tyrell personality with dealing with common people.

I tend to spank digific... i think he likes it.
I appreciate a year-long callback in the name of spite. It's a shame that he'll never see it though, since he appears to have fled.

oh its happened a few times like that lol "face it, Melisandre won't resurrect Jon" was my favorite.

I didnt realize Lyanna had loved Rhaegar and married him willingly. I thought she was kidnapped and developed a case of Stockholm Syndrome to make the best of the situation she was forced into. So she had an affair on Robert? She shady and alot of this mess is her fault

I didnt realize Lyanna had loved Rhaegar and married him willingly. I thought she was kidnapped and developed a case of Stockholm Syndrome to make the best of the situation she was forced into. So she had an affair on Robert? She shady and alot of this mess is her fault

She's basically become Helen of Troy now.

Interesting twist.

Well, couldn't it be both? She was kidnapped, she got all Stockholm Syndrome-y and fell for him and they got married? How long was she kidnapped anyway?

Well, couldn't it be both? She was kidnapped, she got all Stockholm Syndrome-y and fell for him and they got married? How long was she kidnapped anyway?

I got the impression that she ran off with Rhaegar bc her family wouldnt approve and she was bethroned to Robert (which was chosen for her). She followed her heart with Rhaegar. At least from Bran's narration

If the books are anything to go by, she seemed to like him somewhat before the "kidnapping".

Book wise, odds are she was the "mystery knight" Rhaegar was sent to discover. One that stood up for a bullied member of house Reed. That is the beginning of their connection according to that theory. Robert was mistaken true, but can you blame him for thinking what he did? Also, the rebellion really got off the ground because of the barbarous way the Mad King dealt with Ned's father and older brother who went to ask for Lyanna's return, not knowing it was a consensual relationship. Their burning and torture in the throne room is what made the rebellion possible, not merely two young lovers running off together.

I got the impression that she ran off with Rhaegar bc her family wouldnt approve and she was bethroned to Robert (which was chosen for her). She followed her heart with Rhaegar. At least from Bran's narration

If the books are anything to go by, she seemed to like him somewhat before the "kidnapping".

Book wise, odds are she was the "mystery knight" Rhaegar was sent to discover. One that stood up for a bullied member of house Reed. That is the beginning of their connection according to that theory. Robert was mistaken true, but can you blame him for thinking what he did? Also, the rebellion really got off the ground because of the barbarous way the Mad King dealt with Ned's father and older brother who went to ask for Lyanna's return, not knowing it was a consensual relationship. Their burning and torture in the throne room is what made the rebellion possible, not merely two young lovers running off together.

Interesting. :up: I've never the books so I wasn't sure of all the background.

When Bran talks about the rebellion being based on a lie... Who's the one telling the lie? Robert sure didn't know the two were in love, did he?

I thought it was more like a misunderstanding.

And frankly, even if they made it clear it was consensual, there would still have been a war, likely with Dorne seceding, probably along with the Stormlands (much like Lyonel Baratheon wanted to)

Yeah there would have been war either way really. But as Jon said himself in this episode, the truth is always better than a lie. Had all the cards been put on the table from the beginning, maybe something could have been done to save more lives.

They all knew what it meant when Rhaegar gave Lyanna the blue flower crown. They all knew Lyanna. She wouldn't be so simple kidnapped and Ned knew how Lyanna saw Robert and his ways. But for Robert, well easier to think he was wronged instead of Lyanna not loving him, especially with his awful ways.

There is an undertone when people talk about Lyanna and Rhaegar that aren't Robert that heavily implies they all knew what was up.

It's theorised that Benjen outright knew with absolute certainty that Lyanna willingly ran off with Rhaegar, and the fact that he didn't tell his father or Brandon was a contributing factor to the guilt that lead to him joining the Night's Watch in the first place.

Rhaegar was the complete opposite of Robert. Maybe Lyanna liked him for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"