Perversion of Liberty

Daisy said:
Didn't it say that he rode in on the back of an ass?

How do you know Thomas didn't give him a piggy back ride into town? :p

Or maybe he did it like this guy

logo

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Yes, the notion of a God who requires certain things of his followers, when the stakes are so high, eternal hapiness or eternal torment, the second death or whatever, something super BAD, and can't find a way to make those requirements known to said followers clearly, it's preposterous, to me.

People act like when it says, "Jesus rode on the back of a donkey", that it could very well mean that he flew in on a dragon.
I say bologna.
Anyone who's intellectually honest with themselves will have to admit that either 1) he did ride on a donkey, and that the Bible is an accurate account....or that 2) the Bible is not always accurate, and therefore can not be used as a definitive standard for living, and that the "God" of the Bible is not anywhere near as powerful as all of the centuries worth of scholars, scribes, editors and compilers who have the mind-blowing power to KEEP the CREATOR of the UNIVERSE from getting his true message to those he supposedly loves.

It's silly.

the universe is whatever we perceive it to be*. eternity is as well*. everything....EVERYthing..every word, concept, idea, etc. is still changing, and i believe it will always be changing. anything can mean anything, eventually.
I'm intellectually honest with myself, i believe, and i also believe that at many points my reading of the bible would probably josh with yours.

my current speculation:

god=everyone
(both on this planet and perhaps on others, if there's life elsewhere)
(its the living energy people give off, practically unrecordable and unable to be reduced to mere "words"). Usually it involves the generosity of spirit, but sometimes it involves a large group of individuals withthe same will acting in a way that i would consider "unbecoming"......

...which leads to my second speculation:

devil= the self aware consciousness. people, in short. individuals, selfish and domineering ones especially- the self that believes it knows better than any-and everyone else. this individualsim can also extend to groups who think alike, and so on and so forth. any self-aware "unit" of life.

Now, when i swap out the above descriptions for the simple words "god" or "devil", it gives me some intersting interpretations to the bible. they seem to make a lot more sense to me- both historically and "metaphysically".

*of course its also more than that.

Emrys said:
He created a believe system that calls for the murder of innocent people if they express their love for each other, is that enough?

To me God is an abomination!

So you blame God,and not the people? At least try and rationalize your hatred.:confused:

Abaddon said:
So you blame God,and not the people? At least try and rationalize your hatred.:confused:
Yes, after all it is his word isn't it?

Someone give me the rundown of what's gone down in this thread in a nutshell, please.

bored said:
Someone give me the rundown of what's gone down in this thread in a nutshell, please.

Me: I hate God and christians

Everyone else: *Gasp*

:D

Emrys said:
Me: I hate God and christians

Everyone else: *Gasp*

:D

I take it you've been on the losing side of a debate here, then?

Abaddon said:
According to the people. And people tend to make mistakes.
well since the only thing I know about god is what is written in the bible I can only build my conclusion on that and what I have read about god makes me hate him.

bored said:
I take it you've been on the losing side of a debate here, then?
Oh it's not really a debate it's more an oportunity for me to vent a bit of frustration with a certain believe system :)

Emrys said:
well since the only thing I know about god is what is written in the bible I can only build my conclusion on that and what I have read about god makes me hate him.

You can't hate somebody after only reading second-hand information.:o

Read the Koran,the Torah,and other texts. Read into some of the other God-Kings in mythology. Heck,even check out the New Agey stuff.:up:

Abaddon said:

Read the Koran,the Torah,and other texts. Read into some of the other God-Kings in mythology. Heck,even check out the New Agey stuff.:up:
As long as he doesn't come down an introduces himself I will have to look at second hand info.

I read the quran, made me hate God even more, the Torah I haven't yet. The only religions I actually like are the ones where there is no god or where god ain't important like Buddhism and Taoism

And when I read the bible, the qur'an and other books that religions consider important, I keep the stuff I like and ditch the rest. I subscribe to nothing whole-cloth

Emrys said:
As long as he doesn't come down an introduces himself I will have to look at second hand info.

I read the quran, made me hate God even more, the Torah I haven't yet. The only religions I actually like are the ones where there is no god or where god ain't important like Buddhism and Taoism

so do you hate the idea of God, or the characterization?

Addendum said:
And when I read the bible, the qur'an and other books that religions consider important, I keep the stuff I like and ditch the rest. I subscribe to nothing whole-cloth

Hmmm i'd keep the new testimony then but not the later paul stuff just Luke, Mathew, John and Marc *g*

actually it's funny, I like Jesus but I hate God.

Abaddon said:
so do you hate the idea of God, or the characterization?
I hate his personality and worldview I'd say characterization

Abaddon said:
Sure you can. I never saw first-hand, Hitler ordering the deaths of any Jews. I never spoke with him directly or attended any of his rallies.
He never harmed any of my family members. He never harmed me. All I have to go on is the testimony of some people who claim to be his victims, or some writings that have been attributed to him.

Still hate him.

Emrys said:
Hmmm i'd keep the new testimony then but not the later paul stuff just Luke, Mathew, John and Marc *g*

actually it's funny, I like Jesus but I hate God.

So you support Christ's statement of going to war when He says, "I've not come to bring peace, but a sword?"

Or when he says, if you don't love your family less than you love Him, that you can't follow him?"

War Lord said:
So you support Christ's statement of going to war when He says, "I've not come to bring peace, but a sword?"

Or when he says, if you don't love your family less than you love Him, that you can't follow him?"

Hmm, no I don't, Oh well since he was just human he made some stupid comments too.

War Lord said:

jesus was a poet. :up:

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Sure you can. I never saw first-hand, Hitler ordering the deaths of any Jews. I never spoke with him directly or attended any of his rallies.
He never harmed any of my family members. He never harmed me. All I have to go on is the testimony of some people who claim to be his victims, or some writings that have been attributed to him.

Still hate him.

I think he was a disturbed *******,but i don't hate him. Besides,he's dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"