Pixar's Turning Red - March 11, 2022

a2661bd858dc677a65b0c31d30449d68552a3876.gifv

dadfb7842b20700a74f9d7a0eadea8f2310e8b62.gifv

ecb80b317363ffe3666628a22c648919bcbd8918.gifv

3d326b720fd98157a0137a3c01a4a53f6a59d468.gifv

a1113d4f8895394d7b666e39490cc9f3dd5b8c18.gifv

Can we keep religion and stuff that pisses off a huge part of the country out of movies ? I am not religious but if Disney and Hollywood just wanna pacify one part of ideology that they have no-one else to blame when they end of losing money eventually. Just focus on telling a good story without wokeism or patriotic propaganda, and movies will be so much better. Why did No way Home make so much money ? Batman is killing it now.

Most of Disney's customers are centre left and centre right. Extreme wokeism and right lunacy equally pisses us off.
Let's look at the "hot button" issues of this movie:

- A child defies their overbearing religious mother.
- Said child establishes their identity and own bodily antonymy. In the process the repressive behavior of the parent, is shown to be in the wrong.
- Teens go through puberty. Their bodies change and they start experiencing attraction.
- Disney made a movie with Asian characters and thus it is unrelatable.

Which of these things to you is extreme wokeism? Because I've seen Footloose, Finding Nemo, E.T., and so many other films, that have touch on these very subjects. What makes it "extreme" in this case?

Where do you draw the line? There was a time that a black person dating a white person was an "extremist" view for the majority of the country. For many, it still is. That mean we don't have interracial couple? We don't acknowledge the existence of LGBTQIA+ folk?

It's amazing to me, that people can be fans of something like Marvel, and not realize how much of that dreaded "wokeism" is what made so many of those characters and stories rich, compelling, life affirming and everlasting. People watching and reading material, and don't seem to realize what it's about. Tony Stark, war profiteer, realizes the issue is him. This film was made on the heels of the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan. TWS is about government corrupt and the surveillance state.

Last edited:
I think the biggest surprise to me, is that they were still around in 2002. :funny:

Yeah! I remember it being more of a 90s thing. The hype definitely died around 2000 I think. I was also hoping they would show them playing with pogs but I guess that was more of a mid to late 90s trend too.

Oh man I LOVED this movie. Such a joy to watch. Definitely one of Pixar’s best for me. The way they used the metaphor, the characterisations, just the nuances of the whole ‘wanting to please your parents and bring them honour because you love them and they love you but also at the same time wanting a little more personal freedom and room to grow without having your parents breathing down your neck’… yeah, relatable… and they handled it really well. A really wonderful coming of age story.

And I also really loved the animation. The 90’s anime influences were so fun and everything was just so lively and colourful. It was just a gorgeous film to watch. So sad that a totally great movie like this is being bombarded with ****ty reviews because of rhetoric that reeks of racism, sexism, and horrifying parental abuse.

So if turning into a panda is a puberty/menstruation metaphor, does that mean her posing for photos in panda form equates to stripping?

Didn't quite track the logic of the metaphor there.

So if turning into a panda is a puberty/menstruation metaphor, does that mean her posing for photos in panda form equates to stripping?

Didn't quite track the logic of the metaphor there.
giphy.gif

The metaphor isn't meant to be stretched that far into every story beat. Also, like, that's still a huge jump even if you DO stretch the metaphor that far.

I really liked this movie. I have no idea what's getting people so upset and what's supposedly "woke" about it. Because of some comments I read and the "controversy," I thought the whole movie was going to be a menstruation metaphor, but that's basically only one scene played as a joke early on. I bet most people crying about the movie probably never even watched it.

Also I guess not having a white main character/ white family immediately makes something woke these days :whatever:

I really liked this movie. I have no idea what's getting people so upset and what's supposedly "woke" about it. Because of some comments I read and the "controversy," I thought the whole movie was going to be a menstruation metaphor, but that's basically only one scene played as a joke early on. I bet most people crying about the movie probably never even watched it.

Also I guess not having a white main character/ white family immediately makes something woke these days :whatever:

I mean, you just need to pay attention to what parents are in hysterics about in terms of schooling in the US to understand that those are likely real reviews. I mean, a girl having any sort of autonomy makes certain sects of Evangelicals insane.

The way "woke" and "SJW" are used as pejoratives these days by reactionaries is so dumb to me.

Uhoh! A female is getting screentime and knows how to fight or take care of herself! This is woke forced identity politics! It's gotten idiotic.

Last edited:
I watched it last night and loved it. For me it’s not quite up there with the Toy Story movies, Up, Inside Out or Coco, it’s still one of Pixar’s better films. While it had a lot of heart to it, I can’t remember the last time I laughed this hard at a Pixar movie either. I literally had to pause the movie from laughing so hard when
at the concert, Mei nonchalantly says about her mom “What’s she gonna do, ground me?”, cut to giant Kaiju panda mom stomping through downtown Toronto.

I thought the movie was great and very cute.

I can totally see why overbearing controlling parents aren't happy with a movie about a young teenage girl asserting herself from an overbearing controlling parent.

It's hitting too close to home and making them look in a mirror ;)

I have found the worst white guy take on the movie.

Mr. Enter has been the butt of the Internet animation community for a long while and this does him no favors. The crap is this? :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"