Pixar's Turning Red - March 11, 2022

I find the double standards on these boards fascinating...

we are all different, we all have different views, but to laugh and dismiss others, down playing their core values, esp. if religious is astonishing to me.

Yup, some religious folk are strict on sexual matters - it's fair to say all religions share the similar beliefs when it comes to sex. Some muslim kids sit out of sex ed, is that laughable? Would you post the same if the comment was from a muslim parent?

I can see why some didn't expect this from Disney... and I can see why they were offended by it. Do I agree? It's irrelevant - but you gotta respect that and afford others that.

We all have levels of acceptance and for some this was too much.

This is a great film, but I too felt a tad uncomfortable watching it infront of a class room as it covered topics some families haven't discussed yet in that age group. Why, because it's down to the parents....

Let's understand that everyone is different and we need not mock.
Ah, yes, my favourite Christian virtue is that children shouldn't find themselves.

Pretty sure the message of the movie isn’t rebelling against your mom as much as it about accepting yourself, even if there are parts you don’t like.

But I can see how it’s easy to think it’s about the former when you’ve been brought up to believe you should just accept things as they are without question.

And thus, Tumblr was born.

c8ef2b2839e4fd12decee8563ad5025ab16febef.gifv

I find the double standards on these boards fascinating...

we are all different, we all have different views, but to laugh and dismiss others, down playing their core values, esp. if religious is astonishing to me.

Yup, some religious folk are strict on sexual matters - it's fair to say all religions share the similar beliefs when it comes to sex. Some muslim kids sit out of sex ed, is that laughable? Would you post the same if the comment was from a muslim parent?

I can see why some didn't expect this from Disney... and I can see why they were offended by it. Do I agree? It's irrelevant - but you gotta respect that and afford others that.

We all have levels of acceptance and for some this was too much.

This is a great film, but I too felt a tad uncomfortable watching it infront of a class room as it covered topics some families haven't discussed yet in that age group. Why, because it's down to the parents....

Let's understand that everyone is different and we need not mock.

Well, its either treat it like parody, and laugh at it. Or treat it as the same branch of christian fundamentalist theocratic dogma that has been in the new the past few weeks.

I do wonder if Disney saw the absolute insanity around the nation and that is why they moved it to streaming, like Luca.

Well, its either treat it like parody, and laugh at it. Or treat it as the same branch of christian fundamentalist theocratic dogma that has been in the new the past few weeks.

I do wonder if Disney saw the absolute insanity around the nation and that is why they moved it to streaming, like Luca.

I don’t think they care about that. They just want to pump up those Disney+ numbers.

I think it's Disney branching out to appeal to others, appearing more in touch and progressive... but not 'brave' enough to go mainstream just yet... due to the very moments/reactions it got.

I'm not overtly religious or conservative, but it has a pg rating and I can see why now... however the movie did do exactly what it said on the label, so maybe those parents need to make sure it's for them, when having a pg rating.

I just felt uncomfortable with a few on here using someone's perceived religious views as a reason to mock them, bringing race and sexuality into it - no need for that - some parents have different bars, that's all.

I think it's Disney branching out to appeal to others, appearing more in touch and progressive... but not 'brave' enough to go mainstream just yet... due to the very moments/reactions it got.

I'm not overtly religious or conservative, but it has a pg rating and I can see why now... however the movie did do exactly what it said on the label, so maybe those parents need to make sure it's for them, when having a pg rating.

I just felt uncomfortable with a few on here using someone's perceived religious views as a reason to mock them, bringing race and sexuality into it - no need for that - some parents have different bars, that's all.
This is pure ignorance. There is a lot of need for it. We are living in a world where those values are being used for bigotry and tangible harm to children. Leaving it unopposed is for cowards, who don't care that bigotry and abusive practices are passed down under the guise of such things.

I've read the old letters justifying slavery through religion. I've gay conversion camps. I'm watching what Texas, Florida and otther states are doing right now. Are you saying it shouldn't be pointed out because it might offend some religious people? If they aren't bigots, the only thing that should offend them is the use of religion to attack vulnerable minorities.

What you are you even trying to defend here? The ability to be a horrible person because you say your religion tells you to be? That's what oyu want to protect? Because if not, why would a religious person even be bothered by this movie?

Last edited:
I'm absolutely disgusted with people online being so mean to this movie. And many of them sound like they're Kirk Cameron or One Million Moms-type fundamentalist a-holes. And all over a story that's perfectly appropriate and not at all offensive. Weird at points, SURE. But they're acting like it's the equivalent of witnessing someone getting raped.

What the hell is WRONG with these people?

"Jesus"
"Christian values"

3XiKMch.gif
This mom is like most putative "Christians" who engage in the culture wars and seemingly hasn't read much of the New Testament.

She obviously does not understand the parable of the prodigal son. The idea that a parent should let a child figure out things on their own, make mistakes, and love them unconditionally even when they screw up is right there in a lesson given by Jesus Himself.

If they anything in those themes, this movie actually promotes Western (and by extension Judeo-Christian) values of individualism over traditional East Asian ideals of serving your ancestors and doing as your elders say.

This is pure ignorance. There is a lot of need for it. We are living in a world where those values are being used for bigotry and tangible harm to children. Leaving it unopposed is for cowards, who don't care that bigotry and abusive practices are passed down under the guise of such things.

I've read the old letters justifying slavery through religion. I've gay conversion camps. I'm watching what Texas, Florida and otther states are doing right now. Are you saying it shouldn't be pointed out because it might offend some religious people? If they aren't bigots, the only thing that should offend them is the use of religion to attack vulnerable minorities.

What you are you even trying to defend here? The ability to be a horrible person because you say your religion tells you to be? That's what oyu want to protect? Because if not, why would a religious person even be bothered by this movie?

ohh Lordy... here we go... all religious peeps are bigots and those that say otherwise are ignorant and might as well be on their side. blah blah I get it. how liberal.

I guess all of Hollywood are sexual predators and therefor we shouldn't even watch this movie.

I'm out... bye.

ohh Lordy... here we go... all religious peeps are bigots and those that say otherwise are ignorant and might as well be on their side. blah blah I get it. how liberal.

I guess all of Hollywood are sexual predators and therefor we shouldn't even watch this movie.

I'm out... bye.
I am a leftist, not a liberal. But nice strawman. You couldn't even explain why a non-bigoted religious person would have an issue with this movie, firmly framing the issues they would have is the calling out of bigotry and abuse. Good job.

I am a leftist, not a liberal. But nice strawman. You couldn't even explain why a non-bigoted religious person would have an issue with this movie, firmly framing the issues they would have is the calling out of bigotry and abuse. Good job.
The movies covers topics some families are uncomfortable discussing - either through their own lack of understanding - maybe they don't know how to. Maybe it's through stricter, conservative views - but that's ok. Being left doesn't mean being right is wrong, it's different ends. My initial point still stands, it's ok to walk out fo this movie thinking it covered themes you were not ready for your child to see. I don't think that makes parents bad people. I also don't think it's an excuse to label them as this crowd that suppress their kids.
Anyways, can't wait for the sequel!!

Have a nice day.

The movies covers topics some families are uncomfortable discussing - either through their own lack of understanding - maybe they don't know how to. Maybe it's through stricter, conservative views - but that's ok. Being left doesn't mean being right is wrong, it's different ends. My initial point still stands, it's ok to walk out fo this movie thinking it covered themes you were not ready for your child to see. I don't think that makes parents bad people. I also don't think it's an excuse to label them as this crowd that suppress their kids.

Have a nice day.
It's not okay. And we have plenty of research that tells us it's not. Anyone having an issue with the messaging of this movie deserves ridicule imo. The current state of America makes that more clear. But alas we are talking about conservatives. Always looking for a reason to complain about the movies with progressive values and people of color. No matter how vanilla that messaging is.

Have a nice day.
Yeah I will say this is one of the more recent Pixar movies where I could see sequel potential. A sequel to Soul wouldn't be a good idea and I like how Luca ended and as a "one-off"

I still think we get Incredibles 3 at some point too, but that's for another thread :funny:

Freedom of expression means having the right to express your ideas, but also the right of others to express their view that your idea is stupid. These parents posted their reviews on public fora wit the intent of convincing others to think the same. By doing so, they rightfully open themselves up to criticism. That is a free society for you with a marketplace of ideas for you.

And Darth is right, it's not a personal choice of parents. Such parenting is abusive and damages children and makes them maladjusted, such that we as society have to pay for and clean up the mess for the rest of that person's life. We take people's kids away from them for beating and starving them, he should do the same for psychological abuse and messing up their self-worth, self-esteem, and body image through twisted and perverted "religious" teachings.

Have a nice day.
So I'm just gonna chime in here as someone whose spent my whole life immersed in American Evangelicalism and now am trying to find a rooting for my faith far from that madhouse and close to the heart of Jesus' teachings -

I have not seen the movie yet. But I see these so-called "reviews" and I KNOW these people. They're my family, my pastors, my neighbors my community for most of my life. And my first reaction isn't to laugh, it's to get mad. Because I know what it's like to live a life ruled by people like that. I've seen what it does to kids and I've felt what it did to me. IT IS NOT OKAY. These parents are LITERALLY arguing for a "right" to suppress their kids. They already bully their schools into helping their suppression and now they want Disney to play along, too. Because they're too lazy to pre-screen content, they don't want ANYONE to have access to the materials they want to deny their kids. And so their abuses don't just hurt THEIR kids, it hurts EVERY KID.

It doesn't matter if they're claiming to be Christians, Muslims, Mormons, the Amish, the ******* Pastafarians. It's abuse, and it's wrong and I'm always going to fight it because I don't want any other kids to have to experience the **** that my friends and I did.

Can we keep religion and stuff that pisses off a huge part of the country out of movies ? I am not religious but if Disney and Hollywood just wanna pacify one part of ideology that they have no-one else to blame when they end of losing money eventually. Just focus on telling a good story without wokeism or patriotic propaganda, and movies will be so much better. Why did No way Home make so much money ? Batman is killing it now.

Most of Disney's customers are centre left and centre right. Extreme wokeism and right lunacy equally pisses us off.

Can we keep religion and stuff that pisses off a huge part of the country out of movies ? I am not religious but if Disney and Hollywood just wanna pacify one part of ideology that they have no-one else to blame when they end of losing money eventually. Just focus on telling a good story without wokeism or patriotic propaganda, and movies will be so much better. Why did No way Home make so much money ? Batman is killing it now.

Most of Disney's customers are centre left and centre right. Extreme wokeism and right lunacy equally pisses us off.
Getting really tired of this stupid "woke" phrase. It just comes off as a slur used by people who don't like movies with non-white leads or female leads portrayed in a light that either makes them talented or struggling with a relatable topic like adolescence.

So your plan for entertainment is:

200.gif

I'm not even sure what you're on about here, unless you think acknowledging puberty is an "extremist ideology." But it's always wild to see these comments pop up, especially on a site like this. Do you seriously think politics/social issues in entertainment is new? Because Stan Lee himself smacked down people for making your exact same argument decades ago.

Also, history shows that there's no better marketing ploy for a movie than angering religious people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"