Superman Returns Plane Speculation . . .

Agnarr

Civilian
Reaction score
Look, we know that Clark returns just in time to save the day . . . again . . . with a plane in trouble . . . again. In previs we see that we are in for a real treat, with a serious action sequence involving a plane with Lois lane in mortal danger (surprise, surprise).

What I want to know is, what is the cause of the plane's trouble? Something totally corny, like lightning blowing off an engine:rolleyes: or realistic, like a reasonable mechanical failure/bomb/pilot error sort of thing.

At this rate, Lois will never be able to afford life insurance! :D I trust Singer to pull off something within the realm of believability, given artistic license.

What do you guys think?

Don't think this has been thoroughly discussed before; if it has, I apologize in advance.

I am hoping that it's something evil that has to do with Lex, if not it's only a mimic of what we saw in Superman The Movie, just longer and with more action. I pray it is not lightning. I will sue Richard Branson.

Showtime029 said:
I am hoping that it's something evil that has to do with Lex, if not it's only a mimic of what we saw in Superman The Movie, just longer and with more action. I pray it is not lightning. I will sue Richard Branson.

I thought the plane had nothing to do with Virgin?

I thought that scene was a different one using the Virgin Galactic jet?

Mentok said:
I thought the plane had nothing to do with Virgin?

I thought that scene was a different one using the Virgin Galactic jet?

I am not positive either way. For some reason I thought it was piggybacked on top of the jet plane.

Showtime029 said:
I am not positive either way. For some reason I thought it was piggybacked on top of the jet plane.

That's what I though too.

Oh well... Wait and see I guess.

Agnarr said:
What I want to know is, what is the cause of the plane's trouble? Something totally corny, like lightning blowing off an engine:rolleyes: or realistic, like a reasonable mechanical failure/bomb/pilot error sort of thing.

Oh yes, becuase we all know that lightning hitting what is, essentially, a giant lightning rod flying through the air in a storm is too unrealistic and not-at-all likely to happen. And, suddenly, it's corny too! :rolleyes:

Do you even know what the true meaning of "corny" is?

Am I the only one sick of these anti-Donner film people just because the films are old? It's so rediculous to the point that people are rejecting logic and dumping on the classics just due to their age, like above....

DocLathropBrown said:
Oh yes, becuase we all know that lightning hitting what is, essentially, a giant lightning rod flying through the air in a storm is too unrealistic and not-at-all likely to happen. And, suddenly, it's corny too! :rolleyes:

Am I the only one sick of these anti-Donner film people just because the films are old? It's so rediculous to the point that people are rejecting logic and dumping on the classics just due to their age, like above....

Nothing wrong with the lightning the first time around, I just don't want to see it again.

Ok, Agnarr...this is the deal. The 777 is carrying an experimental spacecraft, owned by Virgin Galactic and piloted by Richard Branson. Onboard the 777 are members of the press, including Lois. Something during the flight goes wrong, putting both the 777 and the spacecraft in danger. Because the whole thing is being televised, Clark and Jimmy see it from the bar. Jimmy says, "isn't lois on that plane," turns around, and Clark is missing (running out to save the plane and ship, while revealing to the world that Superman is back).

This has all been established previously, I just don't remember where in the forum you can find it.

Cool.I knew that 2 planes were in danger,but not that the shuttle was piggybacking on the 777.Thanx for the info.:up:
scifiwolf said:
Ok, Agnarr...this is the deal. The 777 is carrying an experimental spacecraft, owned by Virgin Galactic and piloted by Richard Branson. Onboard the 777 are members of the press, including Lois. Something during the flight goes wrong, putting both the 777 and the spacecraft in danger. Because the whole thing is being televised, Clark and Jimmy see it from the bar. Jimmy says, "isn't lois on that plane," turns around, and Clark is missing (running out to save the plane and ship, while revealing to the world that Superman is back).

This has all been established previously, I just don't remember where in the forum you can find it.

It will be difficult to save both,and it will be awesome to see.

scifiwolf said:

Nice, sounds like a good plane sequence to me. This is one of the scenes I'll definatley be waiting on the whole time, I think this time around its going to be a much more significant plane save, a little more work for the man of steel.

DocLathropBrown said:

thanks, someone put it into words

Richard Branson mentioned that he was filiming a scene where Lex is trying to crash the Galactic. He would not have approved filming of this plane if it involved a mechanical failure as they are launching it for real next year!

scifiwolf said:

Very nice, I guess my memory isn't fading after all. :ghost:

Sounds cool. That's the first I've heard of the spacecraft. Surely it would be in the cargo bay, though, right?

Shamik said:
Sounds cool. That's the first I've heard of the spacecraft. Surely it would be in the cargo bay, though, right?
\

Sept-Frontiers0050lg.jpg

http://www.boeing.com/news/frontiers/archive/2002/september/i_pw.html

"It is attracting interest as a mother ship for unmanned vehicles, enabling rapid deployment of a network-centric warfare grid, a likely future mode of operation for modernized U.S. forces as demonstrated in Afghanistan," Skorupa said. "And it is attracting interest as a potential first-stage platform for piggybacking reusable space vehicles to an appropriate launch altitude.

Shamik said:
No, this:

enterprise.jpg

Awesome. That's going to make an incredible scene. Especially if the the shuttle breaks look from the plane.

Hmm, didn't think of the connection between the Virgin spaceship and the Boeing, but it makes sense.

Because I question a plot point, suddenly I'm anti-donner? Just so you know, Superman: The Movie is/has always been my favorite movie, despite MY minor irritation with certain parts. I understand it was made in the 70's, and allowances must be made.

However. Lightning strikes airplanes ALL THE TIME. NOTHING HAPPENS. Airplanes are typically made out of aluminium, and the current flows through the skin of the plane, into the air, no damage done. Yes, lightning has caused planes to crash, but that was decades ago (like, over 30), and safety improvements have been made to the gas/electrical systems.

Being air force one, I thought a bomb would be more reasonable. But that is just my opinion.

OBVIOUS STATEMENT ALERT!

Virgin Galatic craft (not exact size)

Virgin_Galactic.jpg

:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985