Poor Marketing might hurt our beloved Thor.

The movies that open to such huge numbers generally cost a lot more to make anyway, so the true value of a 100 Mil opening is variable.

So far, worldwide, Thor has made $133,414,091. That's not counting whatever the US opening weekend Box Office will be, nor does it take into account the next few weeks. But since they only need under 20 mil to make back what it cost, it's only going to get better. I don't think we need to worry about this film.

Well, I think Harry Potter and the next Batman flick will get 100 million OW.

But it seems like people these days act like a blockbuster not making 100 mill OW is a disappointment or something.

Yep and that is simply not the case, Batman Begins only made a little over 48 million it's opening weekend and it was a success in the long run.

Begins opened on Wednesday though, skewing its opening weekend. But yes, its multiplyer was impressive.

True, though it's 5 day total was little over 72 million which wasn't that impressive for it's 5 days.

Begins' Wednesday opening makes it hard to compare. That and it was a Batman movie. It is probably the only instance imaginable where a Batman movie wouldn't have massive opening weekend anticipation by general audiences.

I don't know, considering the movies prior to that one were Batman Forever and Batman and Robin, that was probably working against it plus that was one of the first, big profile reboots and I don't think many people were fully familiar with that concept yet.

Yeah, it already made back what it cost in total now.... Everything else is bonus.

Also, I don't think it's fair to compare Marvel films to the huge, big blockbuster types. I think you have to note the difference between one 300 million dollar film released every 2 years and Marvels 150 mil multiple movies released every year.

Yeah, it already made back what it cost in total now.... Everything else is bonus.

Also, I don't think it's fair to compare Marvel films to the huge, big blockbuster types. I think you have to note the difference between one 300 million dollar film released every 2 years and Marvels 150 mil multiple movies released every year.

Bingo :word:

When Iron Man 1 and 2 was coming out he was every where. Where is Thor? Is it too early for me to rant like this, or are we running out of time? Don't the studios know the moronic general public will see any movie that has an eye catching poster?

As for this new red movie poster. It really doesn't make any sense to me.

Yes it was. Seems the "moronic" general public saw your beloved Thor and without those numbers, you'll never get The Avengers to obsess over for the next year. So, yeah....

$66 million is a solid opening, but pretty weak when you compare it to the opening summer movies of previous years. But then again, those movies were sequels from huge franchises. And Thor is one of the lesser-known Marvel characters. However, I think that will all change with word of mouth for this film as well as The Avengers.

Thor is currently the second highest earning Tier 2 superhero ever, with Iron Man as number one. It's in 9th place for biggest opening weekend for a Marvel film, and all the films in the top 8 are Spidey films and X-men films. This is not a bad result at all. It's only a little bit under Iron Man one, and has already made over 100 mil over it's budget.

Yeah, let's not forget that the first Transformers opening weekend was only 70 million and we all know how huge that franchise turned out to be (regardless of it's critical reception).

People need to stop expecting every movie to have $100+ million openings. It just isn't as easy to pull off as people think it is.

Looking at the list of highest grossing weekends, it's all major franchises or phenomenons like Alice in Wonderland, Dark Knight, and Iron Man. Not even the first Pirates movie had anywhere close to that big of an opening weekend. Looking at top 30 highest grossing weekends: six Harry Potter movies, 3 Spider-Man movies, 2 Pirates sequels, 2 Iron Man movies, 1 Batman movie, 2 Star Wars movies, and 2 X-Men sequels. The rest are movies in front of Thor that star Will Smith, Jesus Christ, Optimus Prime, Indiana Jones, Shrek, Gandalf, Buzz & Woody (and other Pixar characters), Glittery vampires, James Cameron's blue monkeys, Homer Simpson, Keanu Reeves wearing sunglasses, and yes---Vin Diesel's bald arse. I think looking at this list, Thor has done quite well. Need I remind you, we are talking about Thor? An unknown character to most and a joke to others.

I don't think we need to defend Thor's opening all that much. It's going to make over 400 WW. That is not bad at all. Yes, IM and IM2 will have made more, but 400 mil WW for a new franchise isn't bad.

Especially for a character as potentially risky as Thor.

$400M WW is an excellent number for ANY of the 4 superhero films this summer. Thor's nearly locked for it now unless for some reason it begins to have horrible legs domestically.

Well, I think Harry Potter and the next Batman flick will get 100 million OW.

But it seems like people these days act like a blockbuster not making 100 mill OW is a disappointment or something.

That's only because when you look at a $150+ million production budget and add another $100-$150 in worldwide marketing and distribution fees... you have to make a total of over $400 million worldwide just to make a profit.

The GOOD news is, judging by the weekend projections, Thor will pull ahead of $300 million worldwide by Monday. At this rate, it may still make $400 before the end of it's run. If it does, that puts it up there with modest blockbuster hits like Tron: Legacy and Star Trek. A sequel would definitely be possible with that box office take range.

Marketing hurt something but it wasn't the movie...

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/05/16/fake-shield-agent-test-mistaken-for-bomb-thor-movie/

I'm sorry but I think this is funny.

The confederacy of imbeciles struck another blow in its war against the world's viral marketers last week when discarded press materials were mistaken for a bomb. Designed to promote Marvel Studios' Thor, a briefcase adorned with the film's iconography and that of the fictional spy organization S.H.I.E.L.D. and auto manufacturer Acura was discovered near an Ann Arbor, Michigan bus station, which had to be evacuated because somebody thought it actually was some kind of S.H.I.E.L.D. device that would explode despite the the enormous Thor and Acura logos all over it.

Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/...t-mistaken-for-bomb-thor-movie/#ixzz1MfQVaaVR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"