Post your review here! (Fant4stic Four)

You haven't seen Days of Future Past? Its a superb movie. I'd argue better than both Avengers movies.

:up: Agreed. Disappointed about the reviews for FF but at least Deadpool looks great.

DOFP is a solid film but is in no way better than Avengers. Age of Ultron? Debatable.

DOFP just had one too many plotholes for me to fully enjoy the experience. Personally think First Class is a better made film (the best Fox has done)

Seeing the Comic Con footage sorta took the wind out of my sails for the Deadpool trailer. I saw it yesterday and wasn't terribly impressed. I wish I hadn't seen the bootleg now.

DOFP is a solid film but is in no way better than Avengers. Age of Ultron? Debatable.

DOFP just had one too many plotholes for me to fully enjoy the experience. Personally think First Class is a better made film (the best Fox has done)

Disagree, DOFP for me is better than any MCU movie, though GOTG gets close. Anyway this isn't the place to debate this so let's leave it.

You haven't seen Days of Future Past? Its a superb movie. I'd argue better than both Avengers movies.

I'm biased towards DOFP. I LOVED LOOOVED X2 as a kid and was huge on X-Men, but really have phased them out over the years (mostly because of bad writing post-Grant-Morrison eta).

When the X2 theme hit at the start of the movie I had a full Ratatouille style flashback moment :D

With all the negativity surrounding the production from the earliest stages, I went into FANTASTIC FOUR hoping for a triumph over the odds. And in a perverse way, I guess it is, but not in the manner I'd hoped. See, with all the intense negativity surrounding this production from even the early stages, if there was one thing I didn't imagine would be possible, it was that FANTASTIC FOUR could possibly disappoint me. And yet, somehow, it did.

I'll try to explain. The most disarming thing about this is that, for the first 40 minutes or so, this is a freaking GREAT movie. Like, me open-mouthed stunned, sitting in the cinema thinking, "Oh my God, they pulled it off. This ultimate underdog has managed to silence the haters." Yes, the characters are mostly a bit younger than they should be. But scrape past that, and in that opening sequence, this is a film that just *gets* the Fantastic Four and what makes their characters and the relationship, on a deeper level than the previous films managed. The actors are all top-notch, and inhabit their roles so well, bringing the humanity to each of the key figures and cementing who they are before the powers hit them. Miles Teller is just great in the film, and for the first time on the screen they managed to nail that Reed Richards is the most fascinating character of all the four, and that it's not his stretchy powers that make him special, it's his incredible mind. And science, and the power of intelligence and future-thinking, is presented as being right at the forefront here in a way that's kinda inspiring. It felt like superhero storytelling laced with an INTERSTELLAR-style awe with the might of human potential.

Even this much-dreaded interpretation of Doom is handled so well at first. There's no computer hacker/blogger Victor Domashev: he's Victor Von Doom, from Latveria. And Toby Kebbell is leagues ahead of Julian McMahon's smarmy yuppie, and totally nails the character's motivations. He's all fragile ego and simmering jealousy towards Reed, his contempt for Richards' supposed lesser intelligence hiding an insecurity that Richards may be smarter than him. And yet still he finds himself starting to admire Reed and become friends with him in spite of himself, it's all handled so well. Sue's complicated protective relationship with Johnny, Ben feeling out of his depth amongst these intellectual heavyweights but having Reed's back no matter what, it's all touched on here. Even the origin itself is handled well, a skillful display of steadily escalating tension, with the heroes' transformations handled in a quite jarringly horrific "body horror" fashion that gave things a fresh new angle and totally made sense. And in terms of character focused origin-telling that makes these characters feel fleshed out and relevant, I genuinely thought Fox were on course to giving us a BATMAN BEGINS for the Fantastic Four, that's how good it was.

And then it falls apart.

I'll try not to get too much into spoilers, but I'll say there's a clear dividing line between what was a great film and what just turns into a mess: it's a black screen, with a caption reading, "ONE YEAR LATER." And everything after that, it's like a different director working from a different script. Suddenly, all that carefully built up momentum is gone. And you realise that all the stuff that was so beautifully set up in the first half of the film never gets adequately paid off. Toby Kebbell's great work is largely undone and Doom turns into a damp squib. And perhaps more unforgivably, the Fantastic Four themselves lose all their chemistry. Suddenly it's like there's no chemistry between them, to the point where they might as well have filmed their scenes separately and been green-screened together. We don't actually get to experience them becoming a team, just get told they are. The Thing in particular gets a bum deal here. Jamie Bell is actually really strong as Ben Grimm, selling his pained humanity and making his friendship with Reed the heart of the film. But he is never given a chance to really connect with anyone else in the cast or feel integral to their unit. Seriously, I think I could count the amount of dialogue exchanges between Ben/Johnny and Ben/Sue COMBINED in one hand, and have fingers left over.

Really, the back half of the film just feels so rushed, and therefore inconsequential, to the point where by the end of the film I didn't even think it was the end. As the film entered its final minutes, I was thinking maybe we'd seen a lackluster mid-film set-piece, and hoping that the film would be able to claw back its momentum for the finale after a sluggish middle. Then it just ends, and I'm like, "HUH?" I genuinely think so many people stayed waiting for an after-credits sequence (there isn't one) because of this shared feeling of, "That CAN'T be it." This is a very slender hour-and-a-half film.

Short version: FANTASTIC FOUR has a superb first act, an underwhelming second act, and no third act. Not a good structure to have at all.

So, that brings us back to the beginning, and disappointment. In a way, I'd have preferred for this to just be a steaming turd of a film. Then I could have just disengaged and laughed at how awful it was. Instead, there's so much good stuff here, and they come tantalisingly close to making a quality film. And the fact that they then spectacularly fumble the ball at the goal line makes the whole viewing experience that much more infuriating. The fact they did enough right to see the great movie they set the groundwork for but ended up not making. In the end, FANTASTIC FOUR is not a turkey, and given the hate this film has endured, that in itself is a sort of triumph. But ultimately, I'd classify FANTASTIC FOUR as a frustrating near-miss.

It 's exactly how i feel.

7/10

First act: Great
Second act: Good
Third act: Bad

For exemple, Toby Kebbell was amazing in the first 40 minutes. It 's like he was a totally different actor in the climax.

Last edited:
Now I really don't know what to expect, but I'm very curious!

I saw it tonight. Way more than I would've thought actually worked just fine for me, say like 85% of it. Than the "climactic" battle happens and it near tore down the rest of the whole damn movie with it... Yes, It really is that bad. Such a poor and rushed climax, I could not believe it went that bad that fast. I swear, even the acting seemed to go down hill for our leads during the climax (especially from Miles Teller) and it's a damn shame too :-(

Though rushed in places and it being clear a lot was cut from the movie, I still enjoyed so much of this film. But how it turns around and gets so so so bad during the final 20 minutes is Unbelievable to me. You won't believe how different the climax feels from the rest of the movie. Poor action, poor directing, poor WRITING, poor editing, poor everything. It's honestly no wonder that the studio wanted to keep the embargo so tight. Truly a shame.

4.5 out of 10.
The final 20 minutes is absolutely horrendous, and it near drowns an otherwise decent movie.

Last edited:
Reading a lot of reviews. It seems the final battle is NOW the one to blame that brings the rest of the movie down.

The final battle is one of those things I look forward to the most and people in this forum has seen me mention this many times, that I expect a massive battle in New York City.

Now I am wondering if this movie would've been decent if it was Chronicle 2, which would lower my expectations for the final battle.

Last edited:

DOFP is great. The script by Kinberg is rather weak but the cast and Singer truly elevate the material. My second favourite X-movie behind X2 which had a better script. Can't wait for Apocalypse. I still prefer the Avengers movies and GotG by a hair, simply because I love how well balanced the characters are.

Reading a lot of reviews. It seems the final battle is not the one to blame that brings the rest of the movie down.

The final battle is one of those things I look forward to the most and people in this forum has seen me mention this many times, that I expect a massive battle in New York City.

Now I am wondering if this movie would've been decent if it was Chronicle 2, which would lower my expectations for the final battle.

Well, it just so happens that I've seen this thing (and you haven't yet). The climax is so vomiting bad, and you can bet your ass that it does indeed drag the whole entire (short)movie down with it.

Oh, about that "NY battle" you're expecting and apparently have your anticipation build upon. A very sad "Lol" must be in order here. I'm incredibly sorry, buddy (I really am sorry). You're not even gonna get a battle in New York. Nothing happens there. You're probably thinking of a NY-climax-battle cause you've seen in the movie-posters that chaos ensues around them in the city. But even the posters are fake! There's NO battle to be found in_any_city what so ever in this film... And you can't even call that a spoiler, when there's nothing to spoil. Nothing_happens. Stunned yet? - You will be.

You're in for a major letdown my friend. Even if the action is your motivation for seeing it, you're not getting it.

Last edited:

DoFP was a sloppy mess of a movie, typically Bryan Singer. Wouldn't put that guy in charge of any movie with a budget attached to it. I could go on about how much I hate the whole mystique story and how poorly grounded the movie is, how useless a threat the sentinels were, how the future sentinels somehow were science to have mutant powers etc etc.
Anywho FF has promise in a sequel as long as they stay away from Doom stories, keep the cast, and give it to a director that has full reigns away from Fox.
Problem with Fox is that their business model is to make movies for $100M that make $300M, which means they're happy to cut corners to get them out on a quick date, unlike Marvel who won't sacrifice quality, have an overall plan, a leader (Feige), and people who have an appreciation for the source material and the needs of the audience.
Fox is hit, make a reasonable return, rinse and repeat.

Well, it just so happens that I've seen this thing (and you haven't yet). The climax is so vomiting bad, and you can bet your ass that it does indeed drag the whole entire (short)movie down with it.

Oh, about that "NY battle" you're expecting and apparently have your anticipation build upon. A very sad "Lol" must be in order here. I'm incredibly sorry, buddy (I really am sorry). You're not even gonna get a battle in New York. Nothing happens there. You're probably thinking of a NY-climax-battle cause you've seen in the movie-posters that chaos ensues around them in the city. But even the posters are fake! There's NO battle to be found in_any_city what so ever in this film... And you can't even call that a spoiler, when there's nothing to spoil. Nothing_happens. Stunned yet? - You will be.

You're in for a major letdown my friend. Even if the action is your motivation for seeing it, you're not getting it.

Drops mic.

Nailed it.

It really is sad :-(

I was honestly looking forward to this film, and I'm not even a F4 fan. This franchise on the big screen is now and forever Dead with a capital "D". They really, truly, completely, amazingly blew it and it's not gonna get another shot. Such a letdown. To think that it's actually way worse than that of the original from the early 2000's is something I never would've thought possible.

It really is sad :-(

I was honestly looking forward to this film, and I'm not even a F4 fan. This franchise on the big screen is now and forever Dead with a capital "D". Such a letdown. To think that it is actually way worse than that of the original from the early 2000's is something I never would've thought possible.

"It’s a total reboot. It’s got nothing to with the other bloody ones." - Matthew Vaughn

I meant to say "now" instead of "not". Freaking auto correct. Let me fix that. And oh, I already figured the movie doesn't have the action I was most expecting from the first reviews and by now, I am over it. Fortunately, I feel better now than going to the movie and coming out disappointed.

Reading a lot of reviews. It seems the final battle is NOW the one to blame that brings the rest of the movie down.

Last edited:
oh well i trust in the schmoes, chris stuckman and jeremy jahns. All 3 say it sucks so i wont be wasting my money on this. I had hope for this film but to hear someone like chris stuckman say he would rather watch batman and robin again wow, this film must be really bad.

Just saw the movie yesterday.

THERE WILL BE SPOILERS, so be warned.

Here's the thing: with the very negative buzz around the movie, I entered with a very low expectation, and the movie fails to even meet that expectation.

I have read some reviews that said that the first half of the movie was good, and everything after the "One Year Later" title card was bad.

I wholly disagree. It was all bad for me. For the supposed character driven drama of the first half, it was choke full of cringe-worthy clichéd dialogue, forced attempts at character drama, and sloppy characterization. Heck, that actually describes the entire movie.

The movie seems to be disinterested to tell a story, every beat is told as a matter of fact, rushed so that everything gets out of the way, urgently trying to get somewhere, but it gets nowhere. There is a severe lack of decent payoff. Calling the final action sequence (the only action sequence) the payoff would be an insult to other movies that made effort to have a proper structure.

To add to that, the CGI for this movie is laughably bad. A lot of green screen are noticeable, and some cgi sequence seemed unfinished.
[BLACKOUT]There was a scene where Johnny takes down a drone, and it was atrocious.[/BLACKOUT]

I do not recommend this movie, at all.

Last edited:
What sucks is Stuckmann liked the trailer (like I did) but his movie review turned into a freaking rant. Was confused for a couple of days, but this is it. I have decided to skip this movie.

Same here i will skip for sure or watch it online or something

A REMINDER TO EVERYONE​

If a review - written or video - has uncensored cursing in it...do not post a link to it on here. You can talk about it...just don't post it.

DoFP was a sloppy mess of a movie, typically Bryan Singer. Wouldn't put that guy in charge of any movie with a budget attached to it. I could go on about how much I hate the whole mystique story and how poorly grounded the movie is, how useless a threat the sentinels were, how the future sentinels somehow were science to have mutant powers etc etc.

:whatever:

That's why DOFP is critically acclaimed right?

91% RT score http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/x_men_days_of_future_past/

8.1 IMDb rating http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1877832/

Better than most comic book movies, yeah, what a mess.

Back on topic, like others have said, it's a shame the final act ruins what could've been a good movie, now the box office will decide the fate of the franchise.

Anywho FF has promise in a sequel as long as they stay away from Doom stories, keep the cast, and give it to a director that has full reigns away from Fox.
Problem with Fox is that their business model is to make movies for $100M that make $300M, which means they're happy to cut corners to get them out on a quick date, unlike Marvel who won't sacrifice quality, have an overall plan, a leader (Feige), and people who have an appreciation for the source material and the needs of the audience.
Fox is hit, make a reasonable return, rinse and repeat.

You mean you didn't like their "futcha"?????!?? lol

I+don+t+want+of+your+future+_9eb91a46bc874dae0fadbb83881599ba.jpg

You're not alone. I was bored beyond belief, as it was just too over-dramatic. Only part of the movie I liked was when Fassbender gets angry on the private plane. He nailed that scene.

Last edited:
Keyser Soze, you pretty much nailed it on the head. Especially with the second half. The cast really seemed worn out. Also I felt Trank was trying to put much of a David Cronenberg spin on it, which did not blend well once the cartoonish CGI kicked in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"