POTC = The new SW?

Lord of the Rings is the new Star Wars. POTC is the new Indiana Jones.

Heh, think we have a winner. I agree with this more than PoTc is the new SW. Pirates is a summer fling,will it stand the test of time and have the occult following as SW has? I personally don't think so.
I would compare Pirates more too indiana jones than anything or even Harry Potter(sorry never saw a one,and dont plan too). Xmen I would rather compare that too Matrix trilogy than SW trilogy.
If we wanna compare trilogies,and its all about opinions. This is how I would compare.
PoTc= Indiana Jones
Xmen=Matrix(or maybe xmen with spiderman series)
LoTR=Star Wars
Spiderman=FF4(thats if they make a 3rd).
*Not sure where u would throw Harry potter in the mix(I never seen any of them).

I just don't consider PoTc in the same league as SW,I just consider it popcorn movies(havent seen 3 yet,until this week,but didnt hear good things about it,which is disappointing as trailers looked really good.)
Not to say PoTc isn't entertaining,its just doesn't hold that lore or cultural status as SW has and its been out what over 20years and counting....

^^ nocomics? What a horrible thought...

^^ nocomics? What a horrible thought...

Horrible thought? Sorry, thats just me. They are entertaining at best,there maybe some similarities,but not enough to be in same league..
Everyones entitled to their opinion right or wrong,just thats just me..
My favorite trilogies:
1.SW
2.LoTr
3.Spiderman
4.Matrix
5.Saw
*havent seen potc 3 yet, so will reserve judgment.
Aliens;it has more than 3 so I leave out,and when saw 4 comes out I would not put it in trilogy status.

*blade/xmen are good but they would be 6 and 7 respectively. Aliens would be #3 if u took out Resurrection..

it most definitely isn't the new star wars at all

is it a good trilogy, I guess overall, but doesn't hold a candle to the old trilogy... that said it beats the **** out of the new "star wars" trilogy by miles

that said it beats the **** out of the new "star wars" trilogy by miles

You should check out that documentary on the History Channel that aired last night, "SW: The Legacy Revealed"...it put the PT in a whole new light for me--for the better.

Its on again tonight (at 7 on the west coast)

I see where you're coming from. I just don't think we'll be seeing anymore of these "clear differences". The jumps have been getting smaller and smaller since the mid 90's. You have to look a lot harder to catch these advances. I'd be surprised if a movie came out utilizing newly invented technology never seen before. Especially, if it were relatively low budget film like SW.

If there is going to be another Star Wars, I would be looking for other clues of that besides the technology.

Well to me the next star wars was toy story, not necessarily because it had a big cultural impact but because it ushered in a new age in cinema history, the Digital age. Woody and Buzz are now iconic characters. toy story like star wars is now considered a classic. so it'll take a bunch of arguments to convince me otherwise. I'm just thinking of star wars, the one film, not of its sequels.

I'm thinking James Cameron's nex few films might be the next big leap in cinema. I don't know for sure...

Well to me the next star wars was toy story, not necessarily because it had a big cultural impact but because it ushered in a new age in cinema history, the Digital age. Woody and Buzz are now iconic characters. toy story like star wars is now considered a classic. so it'll take a bunch of arguments to convince me otherwise. I'm just thinking of star wars, the one film, not of its sequels.

I'm thinking James Cameron's nex few films might be the next big leap in cinema. I don't know for sure...

If they ever come out.

Titanic 2's going to be awesome, you wait and see.

lol @ all the ppl saying LOTR is the new SW.

Funny thing is that I actually met one person who thought Peter Jackson created LOTR.

It's a sad realistic world.

...When it comes right down to it, you look goofy dressed as either one, unless you're a drunk fratboy. Of course, so long as you're in a place where no one knows you, its okay to act like an idiot/fanboy, whichever you prefer.

@Erzengel: I know what I'm typing. The deeds of "real" pirates were bad, as were those of the Nazis. The pirates' doings were just nowhere near as horrible as the nazi ones, but that doesn't make them anymore acceptable.

That's what I'm trying to say.

-Morzan

lol @ all the ppl saying LOTR is the new SW.

One more for good luck ;)

What we need is a new LOTR...and I don't mean that freaky "Golden Compass" crap either.

Eragon had potential but they just had to ruin that.

I just watched Star Wars Legacy on the History Channel and it just furthers the point how there is no Star Wars of this generation.

I know what you originally posted LostSon about similar themes of heroes, conflicts etc. But if you look close enough at other movies you can find those same things. X-Men had a love triangle, Matrix had a mentors not too unlike Obi-Wan and Yoda, it doesn't necessarily make any of them the new Star Wars.

I know what you were getting at with this thread but the title is misleading. When I hear next Star Wars, I don't think of box office gross, fan appeal, critical appeal etc. I think of it being immersed not only in popular culture but in our society. Something all the movies, I listed just haven't reached.

To be honest...after watching that documentary, I feel the same way and feel kinda foolish for making this thread.

:csad:

However, at the same time, my fanboy pride wont permit me to truly accept that I was wrong.

:o

Sorry...just can't do it.

:oldrazz: :woot:

Star wars, Harry potter, lord of the rings, Pirates are the greatest action adventure fantasy stories ever!

just my 2 cents......i love you

I just watched Star Wars Legacy on the History Channel and it just furthers the point how there is no Star Wars of this generation.

I know what you originally posted LostSon about similar themes of heroes, conflicts etc. But if you look close enough at other movies you can find those same things. X-Men had a love triangle, Matrix had a mentors not too unlike Obi-Wan and Yoda, it doesn't necessarily make any of them the new Star Wars.

I know what you were getting at with this thread but the title is misleading. When I hear next Star Wars, I don't think of box office gross, fan appeal, critical appeal etc. I think of it being immersed not only in popular culture but in our society. Something all the movies, I listed just haven't reached.

Why are people keep saying this? The Star Wars of this generation goes under the title of Episode I, Episode II, and Episode III. It's not like the current generation is missing out, The PT introduced this generation to SW.

My post had more to do with everyone naming LOTR, Pirates, Matrix etc. as the New Star Wars.

In regards to the Prequels? I figure it more as a continuation to the existing saga. While I agree it's introduced a new generation to Star Wars, it built upon an existing Trilogy. What I've been talking about is a cultural impact and it's hard to know how popular the Prequels would have been without the OT.

Heh, actually I meant your name. The thought of no comics is horrible.:csad:
Never really gotten into comic reading at all. I know enough about comic characters to know who/what/why they are. I just like the movie aspect of comic book characters..Only comic I actually have read were 'the crow',and 'spawn'. Might have gander at others(lobo was okay,some green latern etc.)..

no we can get back on subject.

I don't think LOTR is the "new" Star Wars. I think LOTR and SW are equal BUT in different ways. I'd really like to see another swords and fantasy movie. To me, Star Wars is sci-fi. It's genius sci-fi. But, it doesn't resemble a medieval setting despite its elements such as lightsabers etc.

So, I'd really like to see a new LOTR. In fact, I'd like to see a trilogy directed by Peter Jackson based on the book "La Morte D'Arthur".

POTC doesn´t compare to the masterpiece that is known simply as SW, it´s not even in the same league as SW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"