Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Speedball

Don't. Blink.
Reaction score
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1050165p1.html
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands Announced
Sands of Time storyline continues starting next year.
November 30, 2009 - Ubisoft today officially announced Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, which will return to the 'Sands of Time' storyline from the previous trilogy. This new game is set for release alongside the upcoming feature film in May 2010.

Not many details about the title were revealed, however, such possible tie-ins with the film and what platforms it will appear, only saying it's for both consoles and handhelds.

Ubisoft did say players can expect the return of "fan-favorite elements" from the original series as well as new gameplay innovations.

"Our new title will be true to the Prince of Persia roots and should leverage the fantastic impact the movie is going to have on our franchise," said Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot during an investor call this morning. Guillemot also added the game will be targeted at both hardcore and casual audiences.

Ubisoft also dropped some sales numbers during the call. The revamped, cell-shaded Prince of Persia title from 2008 moved 2.5 million copies worldwide, and when combined with the 'Sands of Time' series, sales reached upwards of 14 million units total.
forgottensands_1259603531.jpg

So, basically this a tie-in by name, but set in the previous trilogy and not the reboot/reimagining setting of the last title? Well, that's kind of odd

Weird. So is Jake Gyllenhaal gonna be our Prince in the game?

As long as they move the gameplay back to the way it was for the Sands of Time trilogy, ill be all for it.

Strange.

So, it sounds like from what I read...that it will continue the previous series. So, maybe a sequel to The Two Thrones? Or maybe just a stand alone?

Gotta say, this is kinda surprising.

It sounds like Ubisoft is trying to apologize for the dumbed down reboot.

He said dumbed down, so I guess he was referring more to the easiness of the game than the quality.

I don't know what to make of the move honestly. I mean I definitely understand this as a tie-in for the movie (at least by name), but I'm not so sure on the whole idea of setting it in the last trilogies timeline. Maybe they just didn't want to do a straight tie-in, but also didn't want to derail the new direction? Odd move either way.

Well, if it looks plays like a next-gen continuation of Two Thrones, then I'm not complaining.

Damn. I really really enjoyed the last game. I thought it had a great mixture of elements, and provided me with one of the funner videogame experiences I've had for the last or so. Sure, it wasnt perfect, but you would of expected better of Ubisoft than to just abandon it and move back to the old games.

give me a sequel to the '08 version dammit!

looks like a continuation from the previous series. not a movie tie in, though it will be released along side the movie

Prince of Persia '08 has been the only PoP game I've ever been interested in (still haven't played it) so I guess I'm a little disappointed to see them move backwards with the series.

I was disappointed in the newest PoP game. The visuals were great (the watercolor style), the gameplay was repetitive (no, Ubisoft, I don't want to collect light seeds in order to continue), the combat was bad (I could never get a full handle on it, it felt very clunky to me. I didn't mind the one on one, I just don't think it played very well), and the prince was an idiot.

I haven't played Sands of Time in years but I know I enjoyed it a lot more.

Ugh! I wish they had left the Sands of Time alone and continued with the last game

Prince Of Persia was sort of like buying a painting, pretty to look at and not much else.
Can't die, the game has no risk or reward. no high's or lows, pointless.

Prince Of Persia was sort of like buying a painting, pretty to look at and not much else.
Can't die, the game has no risk or reward. no high's or lows, pointless.
which is what sequels are for. It was an overall good game, but had some minor flaws which can be fixxed and improved upon in a new game

im disappointed that they went back to the sands of time story line, not that it was bad, i just wanted to see where they would go with the next one, the current gen PoP did end on a pretty big cliffhangar

I enjoyed the last Prince of Persia game, but the Sands of Time trilogy games were all better than this last one. Like i said, if they are returning to that, fantastic.

As long as they move the gameplay back to the way it was for the Sands of Time trilogy, ill be all for it.

I thought the acrobatics from the recent one were great.

I don't mind either way, except the recent one ended on such a cliff hanger, and there was so much awesome potential for a sequel... Look at what they did with AC 2. Someone on the AC 2 boards said that after playing the sequel, AC 1 felt like a blueprint, or a game engine for a potenially awesome game. I feel the same way about POP... Just have a more fluent story, enhance the combat, more variety, and harder difficulty and it'd be fun. Leveling up or customisable weapons would be sweet, even an AC style with entering cities or something...

I enjoyed the sands of time games, but going back to them now, they do feel kinda dated.

The new Prince of Persia game was pretty good.

But, the Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time...was a classic.

I only liked the first game from the trilogy. The second one, took a turn for the worst and I coldnt quite get into the third.

I thought the original was great, but i'd find it quite jarring going back to that series after they've already introduced a new one... I'd be more interested to find out more about this new world, and the new prince and so on... I hope this isn't purely motivated as a cash in on the movie.

I doubt they are abandoning the new series to just go back the Sands of Time series.
For all we know... this could be a remake of the Sands of Time with next gen graphics and the actors playing the people in the movie in place of the Prince and Farah.
While I would like to see a new game for the new PoP (that epilogue ending left it on an even bigger cliffhanger), I'm excited to see what this is.
I sorta want it to be about the Prince and Farah's son...

Some things I would like to see happen:

Multiple Enemies:
Multiple enemies so that you can fight more than one person at a time like in the previous trilogy (the one this seems to be going back to) with a similar platform to that of the Arkham Asylum fighting.

Boss Battles:
Have boss battles where you take on one boss like in the 2008 game.

Evolving Skills:
Aquire new combat abilities and new gear to use in and out of fights throughout the game (similar to Zelda but most recently Arkham Asylum). This guarantees advancing gameplay and deals with repetition.

Difficulty:
Also the difficulty levels should be adjusted seeing how the last game was REALLY easy. Maybe Easy, Medium, Hard, Warrior Mode or something?

Enhancing Plate Experiences:
The plates were a cool idea for long distance travels, but I also think it would be cool if you could fight while passing through plates. That would be intense.

Travelling the WORLD and other Cities:
Passing through populated cities would be an interesting concept as we only briefly got glimpses of these possibilities in SoT and TT. Something similar to AC would be interesting.

Transportation:
Now how are you planning on traveling the world!? By foot? Hell no! Bring in two forms of transportation: A horse (like Zelda or AC) which you control to pass through territories and between cities (whistle for it when you step out of the city), perhaps you could by a chariot for the horse later which you can equip when needed (going back to TT) and A flying carpet. It's Prince of Persia and the flying Persian Carpets have yet to be introduced, this would be ideal for traveling between kingdoms. For longer distances, there's still the teleporting plates.

Outfits:
The costumes should logically change throughout the game, and for God's sake, get rid of the stupid scarf or wrap it around his waist.

Cinematics:
Please bring in cinematics here and there with the same engine the original trailer for Prince of Persia 2008 was released. This next gen 3D modeling engine exists and I hope they use it!!!

Myths:
Also, include other elements of Shahnameh or Avesta. It's always fun to pick up on those.

Easter Eggs:
Make reference to other Prince of Persia games

Multiplayer:
I think it would also be interesting if you could do multiplayer with other playable characters both online and Local.

Versus Mode:
Using the same 1v1 style of fighting from 2008 there could be a versus mode where people could chose a character each and then face off just for fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"