Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

I think in terms of combat, it's a definite step backwards.... single button mashing combos for fighting is a massive disappointment from Ubisoft, after the interesting things they've done with Assassins Creed, Splinter Cell and all that. It could have been awesome. It should have been something like Assasins creed, except alot faster and more acrobatic... kind of a cross between Batman: AA and AC. I mean, as far as the Prince of Persia franchise goes, it's pretty much 50% acrobatics and 50% fighting, so you'd want to hope they had both sides of that developed as deeply as possible.

I wouldnt say its a step backwards but I really hate that they didnt expand upon the new series. They should have moved forward with that

But no one wanted that. The SoT trilogy shat all over PoP 08.

according to what I've read in the reviews so far, I'm probably gonna pass on this game, I for one hope they continue where Pop '08 left off for the next PoP game, tho I know I'm in the minority in regard to that

according to what I've read in the reviews so far, I'm probably gonna pass on this game, I for one hope they continue where Pop '08 left off for the next PoP game, tho I know I'm in the minority in regard to that

Yea the SoT trilogy got off to a much better start than the most recent game. Still id like to see that story continue, i mean id like to see what happens. Altho they need to drop the cant fail gameplay. That game was almost on rails because of it. The combat also sucked. One on one combat in a PoP game is nothing but fail.

I plan on picking up Forgotten Sands at some point, but it might be awhile. Im working on Red Dead Redemption and Alan Wake at the moment.(Both great games by the way)

what about this one has you turned off from the reviews? I havent read any.

Oh and IA about the 2008 game. I preferred that one and expanding it, over going back to the SoT

I've been reading that the combat isn't very good, easy, shallow, etc, and that the story is pretty forgettable, they say the platforming is great and challenging in the later parts of the game, the game doesn't seem bad by any means, just not good enough to warrant a purchase for me, I'll still play it if a friend lets me borrow it (if ubisoft is ok with that anyway) but I'd rather buy a game like red dead redemption over this

I've been reading that the combat isn't very good, easy, shallow, etc, and that the story is pretty forgettable, they say the platforming is great and challenging in the later parts of the game, the game doesn't seem bad by any means, just not good enough to warrant a purchase for me, I'll still play it if a friend lets me borrow it (if ubisoft is ok with that anyway) but I'd rather buy a game like red dead redemption over this

You should buy Redemption over anything available now.

With that said, i think Ubisoft has lost their touch with the PoP series. SoT was fantastic, Warrior Within a little less so and Two Thrones even more less so. Then you jump to PoP 2008 and that was worse than all previous titles. Shallow combat, boring platforming, horrid boss fights and a pretty bad lead character(even tho Nolan North is awesome). Now it seems like they just dont know what they are doing. The complaints are that the combat is shallow and easy which was a problem in PoP 2008. Major let down.

You should buy Redemption over anything available now.

With that said, i think Ubisoft has lost their touch with the PoP series. SoT was fantastic, Warrior Within a little less so and Two Thrones even more less so. Then you jump to PoP 2008 and that was worse than all previous titles. Shallow combat, boring platforming, horrid boss fights and a pretty bad lead character(even tho Nolan North is awesome). Now it seems like they just dont know what they are doing. The complaints are that the combat is shallow and easy which was a problem in PoP 2008. Major let down.
which goes to show that the PoP 2008 wasnt the problem. Alot of people bashed it and were so quick to embrace this new game bc of fond memories of SoT and were expecting it to be the sanme. The 2008 game lacked in the combat area but thats something that could have easily been corrected in a sequel

Last edited:
which goes to show that the PoP 2008 wasnt the problem. Alot of people bashed it and were so quick to embrace this new game bc of fond memories of SoT and were expecting it to be the sanme. The 2008 game lacked in the combat area but thats something that could have easily been corrected in a sequel

There was more problems in PoP 08 than just the combat. The title character wasn't half as good as the original Prince for starters. Every fight was boring, collecting light seeds was horribly monotonous and you couldn't fail, at anything. That alone ruined every fight and every platform section. If they overhaul all of that, then im all for it because id like to see that story continue.

There was more problems in PoP 08 than just the combat. The title character wasn't half as good as the original Prince for starters. Every fight was boring, collecting light seeds was horribly monotonous and you couldn't fail, at anything. That alone ruined every fight and every platform section. If they overhaul all of that, then im all for it because id like to see that story continue.
IA, but the combat was the biggest complaint that was stated about it across the board. IA that the Prince wasnt as good but he got quite a bit of character development so that he was a changed person by the end of the game. He was very shallow, not as funny as he tried to be and wasnt as charismatic or likeable. I thought that was intentional to make his change that much mroe dramatic. Elika was a great new character and his interaction and relationship with her was what helped him stand out more. I thought the light seeds were fun and were one of the more fun "collecting items" in a game bc of the great platforming. I liked the save system bc I think it would have gotten way too frustrating without it. Maybe in a future game, they can limit it to 3-5 saves before death, kinda like the past games had that with the sand rewind power. It did have a great world, amazing art style and intruging story, enough to go back and expand upon.

IA, but the combat was the biggest complaint that was stated about it across the board. IA that the Prince wasnt as good but he got quite a bit of character development so that he was a changed person by the end of the game. He was very shallow, not as funny as he tried to be and wasnt as charismatic or likeable. I thought that was intentional to make his change that much mroe dramatic. Elika was a great new character and his interaction and relationship with her was what helped him stand out more. I thought the light seeds were fun and were one of the more fun "collecting items" in a game bc of the great platforming. I liked the save system bc I think it would have gotten way too frustrating without it. Maybe in a future game, they can limit it to 3-5 saves before death, kinda like the past games had that with the sand rewind power. It did have a great world, amazing art style and intruging story, enough to go back and expand upon.

Yea i can agree with that. I would have loved the game had they of stuck with the SoT type gameplay. PoP 08 just felt like it was pushing you in one direction and holding your hand at the same time.

Yea i can agree with that. I would have loved the game had they of stuck with the SoT type gameplay. PoP 08 just felt like it was pushing you in one direction and holding your hand at the same time.
I thought it had great ideas and brought some good and interesting concepts, like Elika and that magic, but they did oversimplify things and a bit more control and difficulty could have vastly improved things. The Forgotten Sands was obviously done as a movie tie bc without that, I doubt they would have returned to the the SOT universe. Hopefully they go back to where they left off in 2008 and work on improving and expanding upon that series bc they know what people want; its a matter of listening and implementing that stuff, which shouldnt be much of a problem

I thought it had great ideas and brought some good and interesting concepts, like Elika and that magic, but they did oversimplify things and a bit more control and difficulty could have vastly improved things. The Forgotten Sands was obviously done as a movie tie bc without that, I doubt they would have returned to the the SOT universe. Hopefully they go back to where they left off in 2008 and work on improving and expanding upon that series bc they know what people want; its a matter of listening and implementing that stuff, which shouldnt be much of a problem

Yea i mean i was all for returning to the SoT trilogy because i enjoyed it so much, but at the same time, there was nothing left to tell, which, id assume, is why some of the complaints being tossed at this game is a forgettable story.

Yea i mean i was all for returning to the SoT trilogy because i enjoyed it so much, but at the same time, there was nothing left to tell, which, id assume, is why some of the complaints being tossed at this game is a forgettable story.
Haha, how ironic consideirng the title of the game

Yeah, the combat was a step back (but became pretty entertaining at the end), the story was largely unnecessary, but the platforming was amped up a lot, and that pretty much made the game. Sharp platforming puzzles saved it from mediocrity, and it's certainly a step up from 2008's POP. If anybody's on the fence about whether or not to get this, I did a full review that may assist.

The game is pretty good, except the ending is just too boring and doesn't leave you with anything to salivate on. But I can't really say too much as I was never a Prince of Persia fan, and this being the only PoP game I've played.

The graphics are pretty amazing, imo.

anyone know what the connectvity between the PS3/PSP is supposed to do. The PSP version is a 2D side scroller. Its pretty lame, with very little combat from what Ive seen. I saw clips of the PS3/360 versions and I didnt realize the Prince was getting a new face. I dont think I quite like it

Finally got around to playing this game. Didn't expect much but have been fairly impressed. The return to the original gameplay is immensely refreshing after the almost on rails last title. Having the original Prince back is also fantastic and he's voiced by the same guy from Sands of Time which is just awesome. The combat is also far more satisfying than the last title. Not quite as cool as the combat from Warrior Within but still pretty fun. Lots of acrobatic moves, such as leaping onto an enemies shoulders, vaulting over them and taking your sword to the small of their back. Some really neat looking kills. I wish there was a block/counter/parry system tho. The platforming is spot on. Again, far better than PoP 08, in the fact that it actually requires a smidgen of skill. Freezing a water jet then jumping off of it, unfreezing a waterfall in order to pass right through it then immediately freezing another water jet is just great fun considering its's all on your timing. I haven't finished the game yet, but so far the story isnt as epic as the Sands of Time.

Overall im really enjoying the title. It's better than the last Prince of Persia game in every way. You cant top the original Prince(even if you are voiced by Nolan North)

I think i'm in the minority here, but I really liked the last Prince of Persia. The new character annoyed me, as I'd become attached to the Sands of time Prince, but the gameplay was fun. And flowed better than some of the previous prince efforts. *Cough*Warrior Within.

All of that being said.
GOD it's good to have the Prince back. It's funny, while playing PoP 08', I didn't much miss the gameplay as I was satisfied wall running and ninjaing around. But let me be the one to say, running along a wall does not a prince make.

So much about this game brings you back to what really makes the Prince gameplay. Dodging traps, and spikes, figuring out ridiculous puzzles, and timing jumps with well crafted powers that only the prince can pull off.

In a story sense, I guess this game falls between sands of time and Warrior Within. Which now that I think about it, explains that amulet he has at the beginning of Warrior Within, that at the time, I never even bothered to question. (Correct me if i'm wrong, since I never actually beat WW, but I don't think they ever explain it).

This game has a nice God of War style leveling system, and moreover a nice GoW style mass enemy beat down. They tried to keep it akin to Sands of Time in the way that combat isn't very complicated. Instead they just upped the amount of enemies. Doesn't necessarily make it more difficult. But certainly more satisfying.

The biggest downfall of this game is the camera. It's the worst of any of the Prince games i've played. At any given time it only does about an 1/8 pan around the Prince, and in most cases, it's in a viewpoint that doesn't help you at all. It's terrible, it's frustrating, and I hate it.

The camera isn't enough to bring this game down for me, though. So far it's up there as one of my most satisfying purchases for my 360. Haven't finished it yet though. So who knows. they might entirely bugger it up for me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"