The Dark Knight Producer's Guild of America Nominees are in...

FamilyGuy827

Civilian
Reaction score
Producer's Guild of America has just announced its nominees for Best Picture.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Dark Knight
Frost/Nixon
Milk
Slumdog Millionaire

The Producer's Guild of America's nominees, as well as the Director's Guild of America's nominees (which will be announced soon) have in the past been a solid indicator of Academy Award nominees for Best Picture.

Good news for The Dark Knight after it failed to get nominated for the Golden Globes BP.

Hells yeah!! Great news. Just caught the headline on the main page.

i liked dark knight. it was a fun film. but i really hope it doesnt get a best picture nomination. it doesnt deserve it. just because a comic book film almost transcends genre stereotypes, doesnt make it a best picture film.

No, the quality of film makes it a best picture nomination.

i liked dark knight. it was a fun film. but i really hope it doesnt get a best picture nomination. it doesnt deserve it. just because a comic book film almost transcends genre stereotypes, doesnt make it a best picture film.

Apparently the producers think so...a long with a lot of other people. :cwink:

It doesn't deserve to win but I think a nomination is merited and would be a good thing for films of this genre.

Discussing whether a film 'deserves' a nomination at all seems totally pointless to me. One may as well just cut to the chase and say what they personally thought of the said film as that's all it comes down to. The notion of what's 'award worthy' is more often than not completely arbitrary.

A part of me wants it to win best picture just for the sake of seeing the naysayers cry rivers over it.

For me, if you even have to discuss whether a film with Batman in it deserves a Best picture nomination or not, even for a second, then it most definitely does. Virtually no comic film before it has even warranted the conversation...

Gold Derby by Tom O'Neil
Producers Guild of America nominations = Oscars' front-runners

There were no jaw-droppers among the nominees for best picture by the Producers Guild of America: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "Dark Knight," "Frost/Nixon," "Milk" and "Slumdog Millionaire." A winner will be announced on Jan. 24.

Most of the Producers Guild of America nominees tend to line up with the Oscar high five, but sometimes the guild is known to toss in surprises like "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" (2002) and "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" (2001).

Some pundits believed that "Wall-E" might sneak in, considering that the producers guild nominated animated blockbusters in the past such as "The Incredibles" in 2004 and "Shrek" in 2001. Also snubbed were these other films considered to be front-runners: "Doubt," "Gran Torino," "The Reader," "Revolutionary Road" and "The Wrestler."

In their 19-year history, the Producers Guild of America awards have foreseen 12 of Oscar's eventual best-picture winners, including last year's champ "No Country for Old Men." However, the previous three PGA winners failed to prevail at the Oscars. In 2006, the PGA picked "Little Miss Sunshine" over "The Departed," in 2005, it backed "Brokeback Mountain" rather than "Crash," and in 2004 "The Aviator" soared ahead of "Million Dollar Baby."

While the PGA has only predicted 63% of the eventual Oscars winners, they have gotten a solid 76% of the best picture contenders correct. Indeed, 72 of their choices were among the 95 in contention for the top Oscar over the last 19 years. Last year, they scored four out of five with "Juno," "Michael Clayton" and "There Will Be Blood" also among their picks. While the PGA had "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" as the fifth nominee, the academy voters went with "Atonement."

The only year that the producers guild nominees did not include the eventual Oscar winner was back in 1995 when "Braveheart" failed to make the cut and "Apollo 13" took home the Golden Laurel.

Discussing whether a film 'deserves' a nomination at all seems totally pointless to me. One may as well just cut to the chase and say what they personally thought of the said film as that's all it comes down to. The notion of what's 'award worthy' is more often than not completely arbitrary.

:up:

for me, if you even have to discuss whether a film with batman in it deserves a best picture nomination or not, even for a second, then it most definitely does. Virtually no comic film before it has even warranted the conversation...

qft

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"