PS3 Sales More Than Double

Havok83

Avenger
Reaction score
Sony: PS3 price drop more than doubles sales

The introduction of the 40GB PlayStation 3 has dramatically boosted the sales of the console since even its announcement, Sony chief Sir Howard Stringer observed late yesterday. Although the Blu-ray based system had only been selling between 30,000 and 40,000 consoles before the news, sales jumped to about 75,000 within two weeks after the announcement and an included price drop for the 80GB model to $499. The availability of the $399 40GB model increased sales once again to over 100,000. This indicates that a "turning point has been passed" in terms of acceptance of the console after taking criticism for the high price ever since the launch last year, Stringer says. The Sony executive added that it should be "fortunate" that Nintendo expects a shortage of its Wii game system and may give the PlayStation a chance to recuperate after months of being largely eclipsed by its less expensive rival. The Xbox 360 has also frequently outsold the Sony console due in part to prices that top out no higher than $479 for the flagship Xbox 360 Elite system.

In addition, the sales boom is predicted to put Blu-ray "vastly ahead" of HD DVD in terms of the total number of users, says Sony marketing chief Andrew House. Although a $99 HD DVD player deal at Wal-Mart sold over 90,000 devices and is widely believed to have been prompted by Toshiba to increase HD DVD numbers, over 5 million PlayStation 3 consoles have been sold to date and are believed to be a major factor in Blu-ray's overall marketshare as many customers buy the system either for movies alone or for gaming as well.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/11/15/ps3.price.doubles.sales/

It was inevitible.

smith5b25dvj6.gif

An overweight, overpriced brick that has **** for games on it. It's a worthless brick.

Well at least thevileone lives up to his name.

actually its worth $399 and $499 depending on your flavor

That has no games of any true value on it. Hence worthless.

Wii has already surpassed Sony in the last quarter. And they will do so again. Sony should be thanking their prayers that Smash Bros. will not be released this holiday season. Had that happened, Nintendo would've ripped Sony's arm off and taken it home with them.

Did you see the NPD numbers for last month?

Wii has already surpassed Sony in the last quarter. And they will do so again. Sony should be thanking their prayers that Smash Bros. will not be released this holiday season. Had that happened, Nintendo would've ripped Sony's arm off and taken it home with them.
that no game argument doesnt really hold up. PS3 owners have enough games out there to be satisfied with

I'm curious, are you referring to the American Market where the Wii Sells out of every shipment anyway with no software? Or are you referring to the Japanese Market where Mario Galaxy just 'bombed' and only pushed wii sales up weekly by 4k? Which ever market you're referring to, I'd say know more about the markets before you say something like you just did, that being 'stupid'. :dry:

I'm curious, are you referring to the American Market where the Wii Sells out of every shipment anyway with no software? Or are you referring to the Japanese Market where Mario Galaxy just 'bombed' and only pushed wii sales up weekly by 4k? Which ever market you're referring to, I'd say know more about the markets before you say something like you just did, that being 'stupid'. :dry:

US market. No software? Whatever. PS3 was the $600 system that had no games on it for a year.

I'm pretty damn curious to see how the numbers will be for November when they come out to see just how well the price cut did for the system.

I guess you mean shoddy ports with tacked on waggle controls. Compare the averages and the PS3 has much more well reviewed games than the wii.

Wii Sports > Everything on PS3.

If PS3 gets such great reviews, why has the Wii been kicking such ass for the last year, and why did Nintendo surpass Sony last quarter?

Wii Sports > Everything on PS3.

If PS3 gets such great reviews, why has the Wii been kicking such ass for the last year, and why did Nintendo surpass Sony last quarter?

Because the Wii is unique and fun. That's why. Even if the Playstation 3 had nothing but 10/10 games the Wii would still sell more than it right now. It's the freaking Wii!

Probably because the Wii is much less expensive and have a natural pick up and play that's lacking in the 360 and PS3. It hasn't had a worth game since Launch and now SMG. "Omg waggle makes everything better" is basically your defense. The Wii is like 50 billion times more casually accessible, and has captured public imagination, it's not because of the games which largely suck, it's because of the product.

i have both PS3 and the HD Player for the 360, so dont' really give a ****

OH AND I GOT THEM ALL FOR FREE B!TCHES!

I'm interested to see how the Wii does next year when the novelty starts to wear off.

I don't think it will, not to Gamecube levels, I mean the Wii is pretty awesome... they just need to have a library that isn't comprised of like 97% shovel ware. But I guess anything is possible. It has already cooled off a bit in Japan. Wii Fit might re-ignite it though.

Because the Wii is unique and fun. That's why. Even if the Playstation 3 had nothing but 10/10 games the Wii would still sell more than it right now. It's the freaking Wii!

Exactly.

PS3 = Brick.

Wii = Good.

PS3 = does not have No Mercy on PS Store.

Wii = will have No Mercy on WiiWare store.

Exactly.

PS3 = Brick.

Wii = Good.

PS3 = does not have No Mercy on PS Store.

Wii = will have No Mercy on WiiWare store.
yep bc No Mercy, a 7 yr old wrestling title, is the deal breaker :huh:

Wasn't No Mercy a music group or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"