Ps5 vs. Series X/S: Which next gen system are you leaning more towards?

Not if the PS5 is $600 as well!
I don't think Sony will go for that but there's always next year I guess, if they priced at $600 .

Part of me, wants to buy it this year because this would be the first console i would buy during its first year. ButI would just be buying it for Miles Morales and for the sake of getting the console early. I'm not even getting Resident Evil/Hitman in its original price, so it wouldn't have much use to me later this year and in the first few months of 2021.

I don't think Sony will go for that but there's always next year I guess, if they priced at $600 .

Part of me, wants to buy it this year because this would be the first console i would buy during its first year. ButI would just be buying it for Miles Morales and for the sake of getting the console early. I'm not even getting Resident Evil/Hitman in its original price, so it wouldn't have much use to me later this year and in the first few months of 2021.
I'm already on the fence about buying the PS5 this year at launch. But $600 would be a deal breaker and make me wait till next year or when there's a price drop.

I'm hyped for the next generation of gaming but I ain't paying more than $400 for either console.

I am prepared for $500 but I would not be surprised to see as high as $550. Anything higher is going to be too expensive for most people to justify.

I was thinking $550 before. But a $151 difference from the launch price of the Ps4/ps4 pro is huge and might raise people's eyebrow. I don't know what the launch price for Xb1 was.

Anyway, I just discovered that Astro's new game is a free add on in the ps5. So players will have 1 game right away in the ps5.

I was thinking $550 before. But a $151 difference from the launch price of the Ps4/ps4 pro is huge and might raise people's eyebrow. I don't know what the launch price for Xb1 was.

Anyway, I just discovered that Astro's new game is a free add on in the ps5. So players will have 1 game right away in the ps5.
XB1 launch price was $500 because it included that Kinect camera.

The X1 was $100 more expensive which was part of that E3 slam dunk that completely changed the course of this generation, with PS absolutely dominating after Xbox had had a great generation with 360, and even despite the red rings fiasco.

I was thinking $550 before. But a $151 difference from the launch price of the Ps4/ps4 pro is huge and might raise people's eyebrow.
Well the PS5 has more recent hardware to be fair. The CPU is powered by AMD's Zen 2 architecture which was released just last year for desktop PCs. Also, the GPU is based on a brand new architecture (AMD RDNA 2) where such desktop GPUs will be released later this year. And let's not forget that sweet NVMe SSD which uses an interface not widely available on consumer PCs...

The bill of materials of the PS5 is definitely higher than the PS4's BoM I reckon.

Well the PS5 has more recent hardware to be fair. The CPU is powered by AMD's Zen 2 architecture which was released just last year for desktop PCs. Also, the GPU is based on a brand new architecture (AMD RDNA 2) where such desktop GPUs will be released later this year. And let's not forget that sweet NVMe SSD which uses an interface not widely available on consumer PCs...

The bill of materials of the PS5 is definitely higher than the PS4's BoM I reckon.
Even ifyou mention that to the masses,it is still much eXpensive. They aren't gonna care about the specs or power more than the money that they could save, especially in this economy/pandemic and the ps4 is still available in stores forless than $399.

How dumb that move turned out to be.
yep!! and look how dumb pricing the PS3 at $600 turned out to be.

I get that the improved tech justifies a higher price tag with the newer consoles. But I think that's true only to a certain point. Unlike a smartphone, a gaming console is solely a discretionary, entertainment device. I think there's an upper limit as to how much consumers will be willing to pay for a new console.

And if you are going to charge a higher price point like $600, then you better give consumers a d*** compelling reason to buy the new console. Neither Sony nor MS has really done that yet, imo. And MS is in even worst shape now with the Halo delay.

Value-wise it will be a great proposition. It's just a case of whether people can find that much money after all the havoc the virus has played with the economy. Without must-have next gen titles at launch a bunch of people who would have dived in at 400 may hold off at that price till it comes down.

yep!! and look how dumb pricing the PS3 at $600 turned out to be.

I get that the improved tech justifies a higher price tag with the newer consoles. But I think that's true only to a certain point. Unlike a smartphone, a gaming console is solely a discretionary, entertainment device. I think there's an upper limit as to how much consumers will be willing to pay for a new console.

And if you are going to charge a higher price point like $600, then you better give consumers a d*** compelling reason to buy the new console. Neither Sony nor MS has really done that yet, imo. And MS is in even worst shape now with the Halo delay.
Yeah, unlike with gaming pcs, there is a hard upper limit for consoles IMO where you could triple the power of the beast and people still wouldn't be going for it en masse.

Yeah, unlike with gaming pcs, there is a hard upper limit for consoles IMO where you could triple the power of the beast and people still wouldn't be going for it en masse.
agreed. at least with a gaming pc, it can function as a PC for work, school, or general purposes. So, like a smartphone, it has more practical use and value than a gaming console strictly for entertainment.

Whether these consoles cost 300 or 600, isn't it wise to wait for the "Revision 2.0" models anyway?

Usually launch models have some problems that are sorted out in later models. My PS3 and PS4 were not the launch versions and my eventual PS5 will be the same.

Whether these consoles cost 300 or 600, isn't it wise to wait for the "Revision 2.0" models anyway?

Usually launch models have some problems that are sorted out in later models. My PS3 and PS4 were not the launch versions and my eventual PS5 will be the same.
true. and that's one of the benefits of waiting. to let the kinks work themselves out. and the longer you wait, the more likely there will be the inevitable sale/price cut or a Slim/Revised console with a new form factor and/or possibly new features. There may even be a more powerful Pro model.

How long you want to wait comes down to how badly you want to play on the console. And that's where the exclusives and must-have titles factor in. If there's a title that you really, really, really want to play right away, then you are more likely to buy that console right away. If not, then it is more prudent to wait.

For example, let's say FF VII Remake Part 2 was a PS5 launch exclusive. Well, that would mean the PS5 would be an instant buy for me at launch, as that is the type of game I'd want to play right away. I would risk the higher console price and the potential bugs/kinks to play that must-have game.

I've never had launch issues with any console. I still have launch Xbox One and have not had to use my store warranty for anything.

I've never had launch issues with any console. I still have launch Xbox One and have not had to use my store warranty for anything.
lucky you!

I didn't have any issues with my launch PS4 or my launch PS4 Pro. minor hiccups here and there, of course, but no major defects or issues that would warrant a return/replacement.

I did, however, have abnormally bad luck with my (non-launch) Xbox Ones and One S. I went through multiple consoles, all with different issues (fan noises, video issues, etc.). That experience is part of the reason why I've soured on the Xbox this gen.

Well the price launch of Ps3 and Xbox One had an impact on the over all success of both consoles. Even though Ps3 still outsold the Xbox 360 by a few millions iirc, its the least selling PlayStation ever and of course Xbox One is the least selling home console of the last decade. I don't see why the next generation is goingto be different. These consoles aren't an iPhone or iMac for them to give such an eXpensive price tag. The market for consoles are muchsmaller than smartphones and pcs. We are also currently in the worst economy since the great depression and who knows if those vaccines are even safe 1 year from now.

I do think Xbox is done. No one is really going to buy a Series X when there's barely an eXclusive during its launch, and the only way they could counteract this debacle is give a generous price for Series X which is $399 and that doesn't seem realistic/possible. Halo is delayed once again,and the "big" games they've teased so far (which arent many) could be 2 to 3 years away, are goingto be in pc. Btw, I just got a new Windows Pc a few days ago! Ps5 has Miles Morales even if it opens as soft asthe ps3 (and thats if Ps5 is priced over $500). I think Microsoft made this easy for Sony.

Console wars is really over. Its just going to be Playstation, Pc, Switch and those online gaming services in a few months now, imo. Microsoft should have been gearing for this Series X launch (after Xbox One became a laughing stock in gaming community) and there's simply too many red flags. This Halo delay is second to the last straw. And the $500 to $600 price launch would be the final straw. I don't think Xbox will ever recover. Like I said before, in every generation, there's always seemto be one console that's going to end. The WiiU and Psvita quickly fell off the map after their launch. Its Xbox's turn now.

Last edited:

My ps1/ps4 are the 2.0 version. But my ps2 was the original version and I used that until 2010 or 2011. I only stopped using it when a game was starting to lag and I didn't want to see it not functioning anymore, so I just stopped using it, to save myself from the trauma.

true. and that's one of the benefits of waiting. to let the kinks work themselves out. and the longer you wait, the more likely there will be the inevitable sale/price cut or a Slim/Revised console with a new form factor and/or possibly new features. There may even be a more powerful Pro model.

How long you want to wait comes down to how badly you want to play on the console. And that's where the exclusives and must-have titles factor in. If there's a title that you really, really, really want to play right away, then you are more likely to buy that console right away. If not, then it is more prudent to wait.

For example, let's say FF VII Remake Part 2 was a PS5 launch exclusive. Well, that would mean the PS5 would be an instant buy for me at launch, as that is the type of game I'd want to play right away. I would risk the higher console price and the potential bugs/kinks to play that must-have game.
Since I didn't have a ps3, I bought a couple of games for the ps4 that were already released in the ps3. I got the ps4 2.0 in 2017 but barely used it after I played A Thief's End. But in 2018, I started to catch up to older games back from the late 2000s. Its only this year, that the oldest game that is in my waitlist is a 2018 game (Monster World) and the rest are 2019/2020 games. I have more or less 12 ps4 games now in my waitlist, so I'm excited to get them all before I move to the ps5.

I don't want to do a catching up phase with the ps5, so I don't think I can wait for a slim version which is probably out in 2023 or 2024, which sounds so far from now. Games cut their prices after six months, Miles Morales is probably $30 in 12 months. So I am not going to wait til 2023. I'm getting it next year, if not this December of 2020.

Last edited:
Ps5. I’m too entrenched in Sony’s ecosystem at this point to switch over completely. Though maybe this will be the generation I will finally be able to afford more than one.

Let them. We gamers win if they go low!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"