Ps5 vs. Series X/S: Which next gen system are you leaning more towards?

Series S seems to have leaked... $300! Thanks @XtremelyBaneful.

-edit-
We can confirm via our sources that the entry-level Xbox Series S will cost $299 at retail, with a $25 per month Xbox All Access financing option, which Microsoft is planning to push hard via various retailers and a large global roll out. The more powerful Xbox Series X will cost $499, with a $35 per month Xbox All Access financing option.
Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S release date and price finally revealed

Last edited:
Thats a great price for the Series S.

Now Sony announce the ps5 with disc drive at 399 to 450.

Looks like MS is really pushing going digital. I like the cheaper option, but I read that you get less power and hardware. Plus, I also use my system to watch movies, so I'll probably save up for the Xbox Series X.

For someone who only has a 1080 TV though, will I be able to still play this on it? I saw that the Series X is 1440.

Last edited:
as posted by @geetard in the Xbox thread.

Series X confirmed to be $499. Release date Nov 10. Preorders open Sept. 22.

Also, EA Play is coming to Game Pass Ultimate at no extra cost.

Now, the ball is in Sony's court. Will they match or undercut that $500 price for the Series X?

An "equivalent" to the likes of Horizon, God of War, etc... clearly means high profiled 3rd person games that would attract the masses and convince the gp to buy their console. They don't need to be eXactly a clone of those Sony games as you'd have people complaining about the lack of originality.
In my opinion that is not what "equivalent" in this context means at all. Not all xbox exclusives have equivalents to playstation exclusives and vice versa. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Forza vs. Gran Turismo. mS attempted to make Tomb Raider an xbox equivalent to Uncharted but that resulted in lower than expected sales and criticism. If what you mean by equivalent are other high profile 3rd person games that can compete with Sony's then that's not equivalent at all; you just mean that Xbox needs more 3rd person exclusive games to compete with playstation.

As for the launch price, I hope we get it/them this month. I didn't know the ps4's launch price was $399 which isn't far from its current price. So I'm hoping the ps5 is only $50 more expensive. Better if its just $399. We are in a middle of the pandemic, and the price would really be a huge factor, well at least forthefirst few years of the upcoming gen of consoles.

as for this though, we did have to wait another month but at least we got some prices...now the ball is in Sony's court.

sorry for the belated reply.......haha.

When I'm talking about "equivalent" exclusives, I'm talking more about exclusives that look and "feel" AAA and high-quality. I'm not saying they have to be the same kind of games as the Sony exclusives. And I'm not saying every exclusive has to be AAA. But they should at least be high-quality AA titles, like Ori. You need a diverse offering of both high-quality AA and AAA exclusive titles, imo.

And when I'm posting my thoughts and opinions, of course I am speaking for myself as a frustrated former Xbox owner. I know I'm not speaking for everyone and that there are plenty of Xbox owners who are happy and satisfied. However, I do know I'm not alone in how I feel about Xbox and there are other Xbox owners (former or otherwise) who share my sentiments and have become frustrated with the direction Xbox has been going on.
and likewie...I'm sorry for my super late reply lol

as I was explaining to @psylockolussus , that is not what "equivalent' would mean in this case, at least in my opinion. All you mean to say is that mS needs more exclusive software to entice you to buy their hardware. I guess I can see why you would use the word 'equivalent" though, given how Sony is known for having such a stellar catalogue of AAA exclusive games, their library is always the one used as an example.

In my opinion that is not what "equivalent" in this context means at all. Not all xbox exclusives have equivalents to playstation exclusives and vice versa. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Forza vs. Gran Turismo. mS attempted to make Tomb Raider an xbox equivalent to Uncharted but that resulted in lower than expected sales and criticism. If what you mean by equivalent are other high profile 3rd person games that can compete with Sony's then that's not equivalent at all; you just mean that Xbox needs more 3rd person exclusive games to compete with playstation.

as for this though, we did have to wait another month but at least we got some prices...now the ball is in Sony's court.

and likewie...I'm sorry for my super late reply lol

as I was explaining to @psylockolussus , that is not what "equivalent' would mean in this case, at least in my opinion. All you mean to say is that mS needs more exclusive software to entice you to buy their hardware. I guess I can see why you would use the word 'equivalent" though, given how Sony is known for having such a stellar catalogue of AAA exclusive games, their library is always the one used as an example.
It's equivalent in terms of level of quality, not in terms of actual type or genre of game.

It's not just about simply having more exclusives on Xbox, but more high quality exclusives.

And, yes. Part of that is subjective. It's about having more exclusives that appeal to me personally.

If I look at the future games lineup for both consoles from that perspective, the future Xbox lineup actually has more stuff that interests me than Playstation. I like Forza more than Gran Turismo. Avowed, Fable, and other games from Obsidian and ineXile could turn Xbox into a Western RPG powerhouse. I'm honestly more interested in those things than the next Horizon or God War.

Last edited:
It's equivalent in terms of level of quality, not in terms of actual type or genre of game.

It's not just about simply having more exclusives on Xbox, but more high quality exclusives.

And, yes. Part of that is subjective. It's about having more exclusives that appeal to me personally.

If I look at the future games lineup for both consoles from that perspective, the future Xbox lineup actually has more stuff that interests me than Playstation. I like Forza more than Gran Turismo. Avowed, Fable, and other games from Obsidian and ineXile could turn Xbox into a Western RPG powerhouse. I'm honestly more interested in those things than the next Horizon or God War.
yeah that's what I thought you meant when I explained at the end there that you are using the word equivalent to refer to the reputation Sony has garnered from this generation for their exclusive games.

edit: I noticed you changed your vote too ;)

yeah that's what I thought you meant when I explained at the end there that you are using the word equivalent to refer to the reputation Sony has garnered from this generation for their exclusive games.

edit: I noticed you changed your vote too ;)
Yes I did. :o

Looks like MS is really pushing going digital. I like the cheaper option, but I read that you get less power and hardware. Plus, I also use my system to watch movies, so I'll probably save up for the Xbox Series X.

For someone who only has a 1080 TV though, will I be able to still play this on it? I saw that the Series X is 1440.

Don't forget less memory. Which is kind of important on a digital machine. I am sort of used to Nintendo's wizadry, so 512 gigs sounds a lot. But, it really isn't for a lot of the bigger games.

Hopefully the digital ps5 will match the series s in price. EA Acess being included in ultimate gamepass is pretty big

I don't think they can. Microsoft is betting big on Gamepass. And Sony isn't quite in the same position as Microsoft to sell the systems at a huge loss.

Hopefully the digital ps5 will match the series s in price. EA Acess being included in ultimate gamepass is pretty big
Yeah, that’s pretty crazy. I would never have paid for it, but I’ll definitely take advantage if it comes with gamepass.

are you stalking me? :o

but yes. yes I did. :ninja:
I think you've got a pretty warped definition of stalking if it means going up to the poll results and clicking to see who voted, because that is all I did...

what made you change your mind this time?

I think you've got a pretty warped definition of stalking if it means going up to the poll results and clicking to see who voted, because that is all I did...

what made you change your mind this time?
I was joking. hence the sarcastic face smiley. Geez, everyone on the boards is taking everything so seriously these days. Ah well......

And what changed my mind this time is that my rational side reminded me of why I have been disappointed, frustrated, and let down by Xbox for the past several years. So, I needed to remind myself not to let my guard down and just embrace MS/Xbox so quickly again. And the games I'm most interested in on the Xbox side (Avowed, Fable, Everwild) are not coming out any time soon.

My rational side also reminded me to ask myself the question "If I could own only one console, which would it be and would I be able to live without the other console?" And when I ask myself that question, Playstation still comes out on top.

Also, I just have this feeling that the now-announced Sony event on Wednesday will just seal the deal for me. Unless of course they reveal something insanely stupid like a $600 price tag for the PS5.

But we shall see. As I've been saying for the past several months, I am waiting for all the pieces to finally come into play before making that final decision. And it looks like this long, drawn-out next gen reveal will come to an end this Wednesday.

Oh, and as I posted in the Xbox thread, I may have to rule out the Series X anyways due to its size and thickness not fitting well in my current media cabinet setup. Whereas the PS5 seems like it will fit better. So, the Series X simply may not be practical for me, space-wise.

Just be prepared for Sony to not be able to beat Microsoft's prices.

Ps5 digital has the same specs/power as the one with the disc drive.... unless Sony really wants to undercut Xbox Series S, then maybe they would price at 299. But that would be too generous. However, they should price the one with disc drive lower than series x, just like they did last gen with ps4. Most people aren't going to care about specs (and even games), if they see the two consoles side by side they'd instantly pick the one with a lower price.

My final predictions:
Ps5 digital 399
Ps5 with disc drive 449

Not cheaper than series s, but cheaper than series x. I do think Xbox Series S might have stronger launch numbers than Xbox One. Its really about the launch prices that will make a huge difference. Series X on the other hand, if its more eXpensive than ps5, its going to need a lot of eXclusives to sell well imo.

Personally if I was a Xbox guy, i would prefer to buy a Series X instead of Series S. But I don't really care for frames per second and 4k, they are nice things to have but I don't need them. My tv isn't even that big and powerful. As long as the games that will come out until 2028, work well in series s, I'd probably get series s and the console looks better. Imo, Series x is going to be a hard sell. Though Series S should sell fine unless it gets terrible reviews. However, I just remembered that Series S doesn't have a disc drive. So if I was a Xbox guy, I'd prefer Series X.

Last edited:
I think the larger hard drive and actual 4k is what the main interest in the X over the S is going to be. If the diskless PS5 is on par, power wise, as the bigger one, then you are looking at $499 and $399, at best.

I think it's going to be very hard for Sony to beat the $299 price for the Series S. At the cheapest, I think the digital PS5 could be $350, but most likely $399.

The big question will be if Sony tries to undercut the $499 Series X with a $449 or even $399 Disc PS5. I will be pleasantly surprised if they announce $399 for the disc PS5. But, I'm not counting on that. I could say them going for $449 just to say they are cheaper than the $499 Series X. I'm expecting them to match at $499.

The worst case scenario, for Sony/Playstation, is if the disc PS5 is $599. I think that will cost them a lot of goodwill and earn them negative pr, which I'd think they'd want to avoid.

To be fair, the $299 option was Microsoft's only move. They don't have the big AAA system sellers coming. So, they have to bet big on gamepass.

My tv and my two cellphones are the like the cheapest out of Samsung's line up. Even my pc is not even high end. And I don't really have a problem with it as I am able to buy more other things and my lower end gadgets work just fine.

I just feel like, most people would prefer the more affordable item or wouldn't mind getting the less powerful version especially if its still part of a recognizable brand.

If Sony has a 500 gb ps5 that has a disc drive and its 299 or 350, I would probably get that over the 1tb. I wish they are releasing something like that.

I think it's going to be very hard for Sony to beat the $299 price for the Series S. At the cheapest, I think the digital PS5 could be $350, but most likely $399.

The big question will be if Sony tries to undercut the $499 Series X with a $449 or even $399 Disc PS5. I will be pleasantly surprised if they announce $399 for the disc PS5. But, I'm not counting on that. I could say them going for $449 just to say they are cheaper than the $499 Series X. I'm expecting them to match at $499.

The worst case scenario, for Sony/Playstation, is if the disc PS5 is $599. I think that will cost them a lot of goodwill and earn them negative pr, which I'd think they'd want to avoid.
I think the digital only ps5 should be 350 Just for the fact that the launch price of both ps4 and ps4 pro are 399 and both have a disc drive.

Ps5 (digital only) might be more powerful but it doesn't automatically mean it should be more expensive. They are taking out the disc drive so that also means all ps5/4 discs, blu ray, 4k blu rays and DVD discs are incompatible with the device. Imagine buying the digital only ps5 and the physical copies you've bought from the last ten years are useless to the ps5. So for that reason alone, it shouldn't be priced at 399.

But I'm already eXpecting it to be at 399 given that the reports that the ps5 (with disc drive) was going to be more than 499. Which is mindboggling. Why would Sony increase the price of their consoles more than 100 dollars? Especially ps4/ps4 pro were only 399. I just don't get it.

Last edited:
To be fair, the $299 option was Microsoft's only move. They don't have the big AAA system sellers coming. So, they have to bet big on gamepass.
And the 299 price tag makes sense because the Series S is a weaker console with a lower storage capacity compared to Series X. I reckon it's foolish to think the PS5 DE will be priced as low as that.

It'd be like expecting to afford an Audi A6 at the price of a Toyota Camry...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"