Punisher script review

Written by Mr. E/IESB Staff

"I liked the 2004 PUNISHER film pretty well and I thought Thomas Jane was really cool. Okay, he was cooler playing himself in "Arrested Development " when he fended off the advances of Lindsay Bluth Fünke (Portia de Rossi)! Now that was acting - I don't care what team Portia plays for in real life! But THE PUNISHER 2 had nothing new for me - so shoot me."

Kind of biased and premature script review but that's his opinion, it'll depend on how the movie is executed. With so many action movies that have come out it's going to be hard for the Punisher to stand out from rest (other than the skull on the chest). I wonder why are they keeping silent on Jigsaw. Maybe it's because it'll be one of those who's playing Jigsaw, who the hell is that, what has he been in? Then the flaming begins.:ninja:

I got this draft of the script not five minutes ago. I'll be posting all the spoilers you can eat in a few minutes.

If it was someone with a more positive tone you'd might be saying different.

I wish people would give us plot details without mixing their own personal opinions in with it. It just comes off sounding annoying and is not helpful when we the fans want to form our own personal opions on the matter.

It's easy and it's cool to trash movies that haven't been filmed yet, it's the internet! Remember Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back?

You would think Alexander could be the one to bring us glory. I think we're clear on the matter that this might be doomed.

Can't say I'm suprised really, just extremely dissapointed.

I was never a fan of the undercover cop being executed, but we only got reviews of what happens at the beginning.

It sounds like this reviewer stopped reading it about 10 pages into it.

I was never a fan of the undercover cop being executed, but we only got reviews of what happens at the beginning.

It sounds like this reviewer stopped reading it about 10 pages into it.
I noticed that too.

It's dated in June 07 and Marcum and Holloway weren't done with it then. Hell they were still writing last month from what I remember. The review itself was written like a child would write a review.

The funniest thing is tha the gangsters aren't likeable and the violence isn't audience friendly. LOL Also he's just reading words. It's the actors that bring out the emotion. Still...is it really the final draft??? Aside from his personal opinions and sarcasm throughout the story itself sounds like The Punisher to me. I'm sure if he read the Punisher comic books he'd be bashing them too.

I'm with you guys, the reviewer offers up very little in the way of spoilers and plot to back up his insults... he's one of these people who obviously WANTED to hate the movie. Of all the people that we know have been cast, why are none of their characters in the review? I sort of figured Pittsy was out in favor of LBJ, though I could be wrong. He's got the beginning, but the middle and end are completely absent.

Why is it that the worst writers wind up doing so much work for the big news sites? I'm not saying they're all hacks, but they certainly allow hacks to get their idiot opinions out.

I wish you could leave feedback on that 'review.' The guy is way more interested in trying to sound clever and witty, and stroking his baby-sized ego than he was about giving away plot details. We all know why he gave it a negative sounding review... so he could write a cocky and 'hilarious' diatribe about how stupid he thought it was and how many useless cinema and comic references he could throw in to sound like an actual cinema expert. The dead giveaway was this line:

"In the interest of full disclosure, I hafta tell you the biggest laugh I got from the script didn't actually come between pages 1 and 101. When I told fellow IESB correspondent/Film Geek Mike D. that I was reading PUNISHER 2, he asked me: "How big of a piece of dog **** is it?" "It's as bad as you think it is." I replied."

Give the man his own sitcom! Mr. E... with the zinger! You know he thought it was funny, and just from that little anecdote you can tell this guy thinks he's a hellova lot more clever than he really is. Also, I'd bet at any point where he had an honest opinion of the script, that 'clever' response he gave his little buddy there just encouraged him to try and rip it to shreds because well... he can be funny about it, right?

Screw this guy. I can't stand reviewers who think they are experts because they can throw in obscure references to other movies or media under the guise of being clever... and the internet is full of them. I'd read this and be worried about the Punisher movie, if the reviewer hadn't discredited himself with his own writing.

Then why would he like the Tom Jane version which was pretty accurate AD?

Then why would he like the Tom Jane version which was pretty accurate AD?

You got me there. Maybe he has a thing for TJ? LOL Jane did a great job though and the guy is probably pro-Jane. I dunno. I enjoyed the first film but it was missing something and it was underfunded. If this one is underfunded too then I give up.

^ It wasn't really a purist fanboy punisher film...most people hated it. I liked it for what it was but it's far from the best possible Punisher film.

I guess you could say it was accurate in using some characters and situations from the comic book, while the 89 version only used the main character and nothing else. Accuracy isn't probably the right word so much as faithfulness. And like AD said, the 04 version could have been a lot better... it is honestly really painful to sit through it now, knowing that TJ gave up. He really was the best part of the film.

So um... the mods closed the other supposed script thread... what was so suspicious about it that it had to go down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"