Venom now has a stand alone film, according to the studio.

The rest of the world found Wonder Woman really bad, so the reverse of what you said also may apply.

Wonder woman made $409 million overseas. That's a good number. To say the rest of the world found it bad is a complete misnomer.

yeah if it made like $150 million or less, maybe there'd be a point there, but it did pretty good overseas.

Venom performs well domestically though, not spectacular, but really well for a 100M-budget movie. And its over-performance overseas has most to do with China. If we assume Venom only made 90M in China (i.e. the lowest box office recent CBMs make in China), then box office was still 213M domestic and 481M overseas for 694M worldwide. Again, a really good number for a 100M-budget movie.

Wonder woman made $409 million overseas. That's a good number. To say the rest of the world found it bad is a complete misnomer.

Lol what? Wonder Woman was loved by almost everyone.

yeah if it made like $150 million or less, maybe there'd be a point there, but it did pretty good overseas.
Most reviews in German, Korean and Italian say otherwise, of course there were also positive reviews in those countries.
Performing respectably does not always equate leaving a positive impression on the audience anyway.
I bet you that in 10 years WW (the movie, not the character) will be almost completely forgotten, Venom not so much, for better or worse, without being that much original or emotional, it has a striking quality.

Wonder Woman did very well overseas. Not as good as Venom, but still very well. Also cannot agree that movie will be forgotten. That movie is going to have a lasting impact on cinema and how we view female action heroes.

Most reviews in German, Korean and Italian say otherwise, of course there were also positive reviews in those countries.
Performing respectably does not always equate leaving a positive impression on the audience anyway.
I bet you that in 10 years WW (the movie, not the character) will be almost completely forgotten, Venom not so much, for better or worse, without being that much original or emotional, it has a striking quality.

Psh. Please. Venom wasn’t anything special come on now. The character is the big draw for the movie the film itself not so much

You are shifting the goal posts here. So because of a handful of international reviews found it bad, so did the rest of the world? That's nonsense. It seems like it did very well overseas.

Psh. Please. Venom wasn’t anything special come on now. The character is the big draw for the movie the film itself not so much
I agree, but I also think you underestimate how much the Venom character is different and "radical" for the general audience, I think it is more or less a Deadpool case here, the movie did its job on the market better than it had any right to.

You are shifting the goal posts here. So because of a handful of international reviews found it bad, so did the rest of the world? That's nonsense. It seems like it did very well overseas.
No, I am pointing at obvious overestimation of its performance and impact overseas.
Transformers (2007) - Box Office Mojo
Wonder Woman (2017) - Box Office Mojo
I think time will prove me right and WW will do at best a reverse of the Transformers franchise at the domestic and international box office.
I know my impression is mostly anecdotal, but I get around a bit, I think it is reasonable to affirm that the rest of the world was quite nonplussed by the content of WW (also quite rightly so IMO).
Venom has the advantage of coming off as something totally different, may that be deserved or else is not the argument I'm making.
I really look forward to the performance of WW84 and Venom2, but they will also be not directly comparable products.

I agree, but I also think you underestimate how much the Venom character is different and "radical" for the general audience, I think it is more or less a Deadpool case here, the movie did its job on the market better than it had any right to.

It’s not that different. In fact they stripped away what made him an interesting character.

It’s not that different. In fact they stripped away what made him an interesting character.
The box office performance week to week says people found it plenty interesting: again, your opinion is not the majority one, nothing wrong there, but it also is not the only correct one, you know...
We are both big Venom fans, and I found the movie a near perfect rendition of the core traits of the character, different strokes and all.

The box office performance week to week says people found it plenty interesting: again, your opinion is not the majority one, nothing wrong there, but it also is not the only correct one, you know...
We are both big Venom fans, and I found the movie a near perfect rendition of the core traits of the character, different strokes and all.

Your opinion on Wonder Woman isn’t the majority one. And it was a fun movie. Transformers was fun it’s like that. It was a good rendition but at the same time it wasn’t a faithful adaptation of the character to me

I actually liked it and I would be interested to see a version of Spider-Man in this universe. Hopefully its Miles.And the MCU keeps Peter.

I actually liked it and I would be interested to see a version of Spider-Man in this universe. Hopefully its Miles.And the MCU keeps Peter.
Adult Peter Parker, part 2.

It was a good rendition but at the same time it wasn’t a faithful adaptation of the character to me
I gave up on that ages ago. Looking forward to how they adapt rather than what gets adapted.

Your opinion on Wonder Woman isn’t the majority one. And it was a fun movie. Transformers was fun it’s like that. It was a good rendition but at the same time it wasn’t a faithful adaptation of the character to me
I meant that your opinion on Venom's faithfullness is not the majority one...

My opinion on WW seems quite predominant outside the US, believe it or not, but as I said, I do not have any pretense to knowing it absolutely.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $212,718,480 25.0%
+ Foreign: $638,600,000 75.0%
= Worldwide: $851,318,480

---------------------------------------------------
Spider-Man 3 - $890,9 mil (2007)
Spider-Man HC - $880,2 mil (2017)
Venom - $851,3 mil (2018)
Spider-Man - $821,7 mil (2002)
Spider-Man 2 - $783,8 mil (2004)
TA SM - $757,9 mil (2012)
TA SM2 - $709 mil (2014)
---------------------------------------------------

Venom is now 2,7 mil away from Thor Ragnarok and 12,5 mil away from GoTG vol 2.

Last edited:
I just realized: Venom came out on Oct 7th, and its now out on blu ray on Dec 18th: this is the FASTEST a movie has come out from theaters to home media, right?!

I feel pretty uncomfortable about ****ting on Wonder Woman to prop up Venom.

I think it's very important to consider that the regions that WW didn't gross relatively as well are the countries that are more patriarchal than the US. However, even considering that, for WW to gross as much as it did in many of these territories where patriarchy still posseses a strong residue in their societies, I'd argue that the box office take is rather impressive.

I think it's very important to consider that the regions that WW didn't gross relatively as well are the countries that are more patriarchal than the US. However, even considering that, for WW to gross as much as it did in many of these territories where patriarchy still posseses a strong residue in their societies, I'd argue that the box office take is rather impressive.
Will be interesting to see how CM fares in those territories.

That was not my intention, seeing how Venom does not really need propping up.

But since when is Western Europe more patriarchal than the US? Come on now.
Instead I'd say the excessive patriarchy still found (and justly challenged) in the US is instead the reason of WW's domestic success. That's fine.
Venom, on the other hand, is just fun escapism, sometimes it is just enough.

Besides, not everything that has success in the States but not elsewhere, is because others don't get it.
Oftentimes it is the other way around, some people here regularly use the "argument" (which I'm sick of) that the Chinese box office somehow rewards bad movies, as if no bad flick ever breaks out in the US, Suicide Squad anyone?

It's a two way street, people(s) like what they like.

Will be interesting to see how CM fares in those territories.
Yep, I expect it to perform in line with Doctor Strange if not better, but in that case it would be more or less on par with WW, making the case that female superhero movies internationally are just superhero movies, like Black Panther had not really (and it is perfectly normal) the same metatext outside the US and a few other territories.

But BP being a great movie, not just ok, people worldwide rewarded it nonetheless, making it perform internationally way better than usual origin/first solo movies.

The same could happen for CM, but if it will perform vastly better than WW, I still expect people to "rationalize" it is just because of the Marvel brand.

Yep, I expect it to perform in line with Doctor Strange if not better, but in that case it would be more or less on par with WW, making the case that female superhero movies internationally are just superhero movies, like Black Panther had not really (and it is perfectly normal) the same metatext outside the US and a few other territories.

But BP being a great movie, not just ok, people worldwide rewarded it nonetheless, making it perform internationally way better than usual origin/first solo movies.

The same could happen for CM, but if it will perform vastly better than WW, I still expect people to "rationalize" it is just because of the Marvel brand.
On the plus side though.....if the rationale becomes that it did well just because of the Marvel brand, then it is also saying that there's no reason not to have women all over the place leading and supporting as the Marvel brand will support whoever is cast. :cwink:

movies like BP & WW are rare tentpoles for making most of their money stateside, which implies something clearly resonated with domestic attendees.
not sure what any of this has to do with Venom, though, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"