Punisher script review

Studio. Pressure. To. Make. Blockbuster. Film. :wow:

So under all these pressures, that would yield the results of him putting out a bad movie. So its one of his worst.

So under all these pressures, that would yield the results of him putting out a bad movie. So its one of his worst.

That film depended on being marketable and I don't think he had final cut option. I don't think he did as I heard him talk about his anger over the final cut. (He had a lot more than what they wanted). :ninja:

That film depended on being marketable and I don't think he had final cut option. I don't think he did as I heard him talk about his anger over the final cut. (He had a lot more than what they wanted). :ninja:

He should really try to find some ways around this since it looks like a lot of his movies aren't getting the cuts he wants them to have. Sweeny Todd could soon be one of them.

He should really try to find some ways around this since it looks like a lot of his movies aren't getting the cuts he wants them to have. Sweeny Todd could soon be one of them.

You can't fight a studio. There's no way around that. They either like your vision a lot to give you the final cut, or they still like your vision but don't trust it enough. :hyper:

You can't fight a studio. There's no way around that. They either like your vision a lot to give you the final cut, or they still like your vision but don't trust it enough. :hyper:

No, you are wrong. There are plenty of ways to stick it to the man. Don't ever give in my friend, don't ever give in.

No, you are wrong. There are plenty of ways to stick it to the man. Don't ever give in my friend, don't ever give in.

Yeah. Walk right out of that studio and earn a bad reputation for being a stubborn jack ass. :dry:

Yeah. Walk right out of that studio and earn a bad reputation for being a stubborn jack ass. :dry:

Dude, that's they way you gotta do it. John Woo had a hard time in Hong Kong. The studios only wanted him to make commercial comedies until him and a fellow director pushed to get A Better Tomorrow made. Then he started having the same problems with Hollywood and now he's returning to China to get his epic Red Cliff made. Robert Rodriguez owns his own studio and produces and approves of all his own movies and still gets them released in Hollywood.

There are different ways to go about things in order to beat the system. One thing Tim Burton could do is stop tackeling all these popular franchises and tackle more original ideas like Big Fish.

Dude, that's they way you gotta do it. John Woo had a hard time in Hong Kong. The studios only wanted him to make commercial comedies until him and a fellow director pushed to get A Better Tomorrow made. Then he started having the same problems with Hollywood and now he's returning to China to get his epic Red Cliff made. Robert Rodriguez owns his own studio and produces and approves of all his own movies and still gets them released in Hollywood.

There are different ways to go about things in order to beat the system. One thing Tim Burton could do is stop tackeling all these popular franchises and tackle more original ideas like Big Fish.

Y'know, honestly, I would buy right into the studio and whatever they wanted. I make three blockbuster films, all quality and top notch film. Y'know what that will get me? Any screenwriter I want. Any team I want. Buying into what they want can open doors immensly. :dry:

Y'know, honestly, I would buy right into the studio and whatever they wanted. I make three blockbuster films, all quality and top notch film. Y'know what that will get me? Any screenwriter I want. Any team I want. Buying into what they want can open doors immensly. :dry:

wow, talk bout sellin out.

weren't you guys just sayin how giving in to the studio can ruin a film? so, if you gave in, you prolly won't end up with blockbusters. i believe the real way to open doors is to not give in and stick to your artistic vision and whatnot, and make a name for yourself that way. hollywood studios = cliches. nowadays with so many re-remakes and sequels and prequels, we need less of that, and more originality and creativity.

The bigger cliche is rounding anyone and everyone who directs a sequel, remake, franchise is a sell out. You can have a unique vision for a film and still direct a potential franchise. :whatever:

not all remakes, sequels, etc, are bad. i'm not even sayin that the people who make them are selling out, i just called you a sell out cuz you said you'd give in to the studios demands. surely some of those demands could be reasonable and giving in to them won't hurt the film, but you made it sound like you'd bend over backwards for them, which could ruin that unique vision that you speak of.

:whatever:

If you want to make a good film, you have to have something you want to say with it. After all, art is self expression, isn't it? If you have no sense of self while directing your movie (directing it for someone else other than yourself) than what are you really trying to accomplish?

If you want to make a good film, you have to have something you want to say with it. After all, art is self expression, isn't it? If you have no sense of self while directing your movie (directing it for someone else other than yourself) than what are you really trying to accomplish?

exactly!

film is most certainly a form of art and too many people forget that and just look at it as a form of entertainment.

Playing dumb is sometimes the best thing you can do. Maybe you won't make history as the sternest director out there, but then again, I don't want to make history. I don't want to be Spielberg. I want to be a director who can deliver and that might mean "O.K., maybe you don't want this in there. We can live without that. Can we put this in there instead, an equally deserving and quality part?". :whatever:

I would never sign onto a film without making sure they would let me utilize my vision. Sometimes your vision isn't the greatest and being open to change, well, I'm all open.

Playing dumb is sometimes the best thing you can do.

I don't think you need to play it in your case. But then again, I don't know what you're trying to say with this sentence. Only dumb people get the job or something? Whatever.

Maybe you won't make history as the sternest director out there, but then again, I don't want to make history.

Most directors didn't want to make history either but found themselves making history. John Woo and Tim Burton never even considered being movie directors in the first place but then suddenly found themselves making movies. They didn't want to just make movies though, they wanted to make more personal movies. The type of movies they would want to see if they weren't the director. Plenty of people still think this way today though and haven't made history or ranked as high as other big name directors, but plenty of movies like this do win at festivals.

I don't want to be Spielberg
You shouldn't want to be someone you're not anyway.

I want to be a director who can deliver and that might mean "O.K., maybe you don't want this in there. We can live without that. Can we put this in there instead, an equally deserving and quality part?"

Um... Even Spielberg thinks that way. No movie comes out exactly the way you envisioned it or wrote it out on paper. There are too many things that happen on set, whether they be misshaps or new sudden moments of brilliance that occurs, that keeps the movie from turning out the way you originally envisioned it. Alfred Hithcock said he saw his movies exactly the way they were in his head before he made them, but he was an extremely cocky guy, and most big name directors like Scorsese and Burton have commented on that quote and said there was no way that guy was being truthful. In fact, one of Hitchcock's films has one of the most noticable and hilarious continuity errors in history.

Also, Titanic is a film that went down in history but Cameron actually changed the original ending. They actually had it filmed and can actually be found on youtube. The original ending is god awful. It probably looked good on paper to him but it turned out horrendous.

Well that's not very nice of you mr. rolly eyes. Be considerate of what other people have to say if you really are rolling your eyes at them. Or maybe you just like making your sentences look a little cute with the smiley faces. Whatever, I'll drop it.

I would never sign onto a film without making sure they would let me utilize my vision. Sometimes your vision isn't the greatest and being open to change, well, I'm all open.

That's why you have a huge crew and cast to discuss it with while you make it. So many individual talents are involved in a movie. A movie is never really just one person's vision, its the costumer designer's, the set designer's, the actors', the editor's, etc, etc. The director is just there to approve everything and create the original idea for all other ideas to revolve around.

I don't know, I had a lot of fun writing all that. I was really hoping he or someone would continue the discussion.

Have you seen Planet of the Apes?

Yeah, I'm sorry to say that I just don't think it's as bad as the internet crowd make it out to be. Also I have to clear something up, I said that it was one of his worse films, his worse film is easily Batman Returns.

Batman Begins is so far the definitive Batman film. That being said, Burton's Batman is not a bad film at all. So this reviewer gets no credibility from me. Not to mention he puts down Garth Ennis' work.

I agree with you about Batman Begins, if you let the anger slipaway before comprehinding my post you would have read the, P.S I'm not a NolanPHILE!

If there was no Batman Begins, there wouldn't be all this 89's Batman bashing. Yeah Batman and Robin is way better than the Tim Burton's Batman. Leave it to the non Punisher fans to come in here and trash talk the new Punisher flick that hasn't been filmed yet.:whatever:
I was never in love with Batman 89 and after watching the classic animated series I disliked it even more so that doesn't aply to everyone.

I agree with you about Batman Begins, if you let the anger slipaway before comprehinding my post you would have read the, P.S I'm not a NolanPHILE

....and just where exactly was I suggesting in my comment that you were a "NolanPHILE"? I was merely stating that I thought the reviewer had no credibility because he was putting down the acclaimed work of Burton's Batman and Garth Ennis' Welcome Back, Frank.

Starting to think we're going to need Dave Chapelle's "Wrap it Up" box...

....and just where exactly was I suggesting in my comment that you were a "NolanPHILE"? I was merely stating that I thought the reviewer had no credibility because he was putting down the acclaimed work of Burton's Batman and Garth Ennis' Welcome Back, Frank.

Why do you guys call it a Nolanphile?

I was hoping this would be okay, but it seems like the disappointment of the first film will be making a return with this one.

Are you secretly Joel Shumacher?

In the case of the Punisher it means something, I keep reading these reviews and the things they seek out to attack are things that I've read most of the time from Ennis run, that I enjoyed when I read it.

The other thing is the attack general character traits from the Punisher, that again since reading the character for the past 18 years now that are things I enjoy about the character.

The reviews all focus so much on getting their whitty jokes in and pretending they care about the character, that the reviews do nothing but showcase their ignorance.

--I don't know did you read this review????

1.)The reviewer was upset Punisher fought regular people instead of SUPER POWERED VILLAINS like Dr. Doom

2.)Upset Punisher killed an old man at his party

3.)Upset about Punisher talking about his familys death which usually happens once an arc or every other arc....

I mean I don't know what the two reviewers we have now have wanted -- he had a good point with the narratives that'd be nice -- but they seem to want a masterpiece. The Punisher is the PUNISHER - he doesn't need an academy award winning script...

I mean the reviews seem to be more about when can I fit my next sly cutting edge hip joke instead of what am I reviewing???

Agreed, thats really annoying. The majority of the review is taken up by the reviewer uselessly waffling on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"