Iron Man Q & A w/Jon Favreau from his Myspace site!

Can somebody do me a favor and ask this question for me (and if it has already been answered, please direct me to the answer):

Will Iron Man be used as Tony Stark's body guard? Well, not necessarily used, but when asked, will IM say that he works for Stark?

Thanks.

TrailerMusic said:
Hmm hes taking suggestions on Casting cool. I'll tell him later about an Actor from Show I think would make a good Iron Man

He's not really taking suggestions. The studio will decide who plays Iron Man. This is all just a campaign to get the fans behind the movie so they don't cause trouble later on.

Actually Jon has input as well. The studio will give him the nod if he really wants it. Like Del Toro got Ron Perlman when the studio wanted Vin Diesel for Hellboy. Things work out like that.

Regarding Avi's departure.

Posted: June 1, 2006 9:17 AM

SpartiatisWrote:
And what exactly do you think of it Jon? Will your work and the Iron Man movie benefit from this decision?

Jon Favreau:

It's good for the movie. He will be focusing all of his efforts on Iron Man. It's going to leave some big shoes to fill at Marvel, though. He had many responsibilities as an officer of a big corporation. All he has to worry about now is making movies.

More to come.

Posted: Jun 1, 2006 7:35 PM

Ben CunWrote:

1. In terms of narrative are you looking at a linear Spiderman/Daredevil style story, or a more experimental non-linear beast like The Hulk?

2. You said you were a big Hulk fan, what did you think of the film? I thought it was classic Ang myself, ahead of it's time maybe.

3. At the moment, in the planning stages, do you work a 9am-5pm kind of day? Is that possible? Or are have you developed a speed-habit to keep up with the workload that's been dropped on yo ass? I would hope as a father (you being the father, not me) that it's a compromise between the two.

4. Billionaire weapons developer, not the most sympathetic character considering our current political climate?

I'm really looking forward to The Break Up. I hear your scenes with Mr Vaughn are quite something. Nice one.

Ben

Jon Favreau:

1. linear
2. Some parts were very cool. Not what I expected, though.
3. I have a good life that balances out very nicely. I'll do what i can to maintain that.
4. He is what he is. It's my job to make him accessible.

Posted: Jun 1, 2006 7:41 PM

ChuckWrote:
I am fully aware that Jon will "allude to" the alcohol problem in the 1st film and I'm challenging the rationale behind that decision. I worried that it's the same rationale that guided The Punisher to "burn" his victim with a popsicle during an interrogation session. I'm assuming it's because Marvel is afraid to venture outside of the parameters of a "family flick." I'm concerned if Iron Man's achilles heel (alcohol) isn't presented realistically, then the movie will be compromised. As you can see from The Punisher, you often don't get a 2nd chance if you don't put your best foot forward. I think taking a little "risk" in a film, making it edgy is the difference between a blockbuster, or another lackluster Marvel lackluster risk free production like Fantastic Four, or The Punisher. I'm most curious to hear JON'S response to this!

Jon Favreau:

I don't think that alcoholism is Tony's "Achilles heel" when he first creates the Iron Man alter-ego. I would think his heart injury plays more into his weakness than his drinking. Later, however, as the mantle of being Iron Man on the world stage hangs more heavily, the drinking will become more of an issue. I hope to leave the door open for this in my telling of the story.

Posted: Jun 1, 2006 7:43 PM

Brooks Says "HI!"Wrote:
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but what about as a villain, we go with Fin Fang Foom? Any takers? Anyone?..... Hello? LOL

Jon Favreau;

I have not seen one visual interpretation that leaves the door open even a crack for a realistic movie version of this villian.

Posted: Jun 1, 2006 7:48 PM

LeviWrote:
Does X3 give you hope or dread about directing a Marvel Film?

Jon Favreau:

I know you have said that the script is still in the works, but are you leaning toward Tony fighting against an organization in the film or a single enemy?

The success of X3 gives me hope. The Marvel Universe sells movie tickets.

Hard to answer the second one at this time.?

Posted: Jun 1, 2006 7:50 PM

Captain FabulousWrote:
1) How far into the movie until he puts on the suit?

2) And is this going to be from an attempt on his life that he makes the suit, for life support?

JON Favreau:

1) Act 1
2) Life support.

more...

I still cant believe we r getting the origin story

(Could someone ask Jon for me please)

Jon,
Will there be anything showing Tony as the wizard electronics/engineering genius he's supposed to be? Something that will make us believe he really does design this stuff himself and not a boiler-room of engineers like AT&T and Bell Systems had who didn't get the credit due them?

Also, how realistic will the suit's power source be?

Original suit was electrical with some amazingly long-life batteries for it's time. (I don't recall a power-generating gizmo.) He was always looking for places to recharge the suit.
The later suits were 'solar-powered' and I'm not sure what they're using now. Will you come up with some ultra futuristic power generation for the suit and an explanation for why it won't be used for public power generation?
Some kind of dig at the politics that keep us tied to oil/gas instead of solar/electrical (which could be an unlimited source of cheap electicity except...)?

And ...

These suits are notorious for their sweat factor. Any planned humor to show him fighting that? (Similar to Klinger running through MASH stripping off his fur and clothes screaming HOT! HOT! If you've ever worn a Batman Cowl and Costume you know what I mean.)

Thanks, much appreciated-
InkSlinger

Favreau is awesome to answer all these questions!

I wish him the best of luck!

InkSlinger said:
(Could someone ask Jon for me please)

Jon,
Will there be anything showing Tony as the wizard electronics/engineering genius he's supposed to be? Something that will make us believe he really does design this stuff himself and not a boiler-room of engineers like AT&T and Bell Systems had who didn't get the credit due them?

Also, how realistic will the suit's power source be?

Original suit was electrical with some amazingly long-life batteries for it's time. (I don't recall a power-generating gizmo.) He was always looking for places to recharge the suit.
The later suits were 'solar-powered' and I'm not sure what they're using now. Will you come up with some ultra futuristic power generation for the suit and an explanation for why it won't be used for public power generation?
Some kind of dig at the politics that keep us tied to oil/gas instead of solar/electrical (which could be an unlimited source of cheap electicity except...)?

And ...

These suits are notorious for their sweat factor. Any planned humor to show him fighting that? (Similar to Klinger running through MASH stripping off his fur and clothes screaming HOT! HOT! If you've ever worn a Batman Cowl and Costume you know what I mean.)

Thanks, much appreciated-
InkSlinger

Done http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?...33EC530A-4978-4905-86E2B0F460A93EC71181223031

Some fans are being idiots about the alcoholism.

Alcoholism is NOT something crucial to a first Iron Man movie. It's a separate story you tell later on, just like in the comics.

Just like in Spider-man, you don't have Peter psychologically causing himself to lose his powers in the first movie.

TheVileOne said:

Alcoholism is NOT something crucial to a first Iron Man movie. It's a separate story you tell later on, just like in the comics.

Just like in Spider-man, you don't have Peter psychologically causing himself to lose his powers.

Favreau already mentioned that Stark's alcoholism wouldn't be a factor in the first film. The only reason he's being asked about it, is because there are people who want to see it happen. Most likely we'll see it explored in a possible sequel.

Advanced Dark said:
Actually Jon has input as well. The studio will give him the nod if he really wants it. Like Del Toro got Ron Perlman when the studio wanted Vin Diesel for Hellboy. Things work out like that.

Yeah, but Del Toro was told he could either have a big budget and Vin Diesel or a medium budget and Pearlman.

I don't think it will be a big deal.

They didn't get huge stars for Batman, Spider-man, or Wolverine. Even the Hulk.

The biggest movie star that played a superhero recently was Ben Affleck as Daredevil. Favreau basically said that Affleck playing Daredevil was bad and he brought a lot of unwanted/unneeded baggage to the role.

TheVileOne said:

Just like in Spider-man, you don't have Peter psychologically causing himself to lose his powers in the first movie.

I agree, some fans only think of Tony Stark as a alcoholic and believe that is the way he was from the beginning, which isn't true, this problem developed later when he took up the banner of Iron Man, with that and the stress of running a major business and having health problems, it weighed on him and drinking was his outlet, save it for the sequel, not the origin.

advanced dark,

can you ask this for me:

Hey Jon,

Thanks for this opportunity to be heard. My question is will Iron Man shout commands when he executes special moves?

blind_fury said:
advanced dark,

can you ask this for me:

Hey Jon,

Thanks for this opportunity to be heard. My question is will Iron Man shout commands when he executes special moves?

done

Anyone?
compi716 said:
Can somebody do me a favor and ask this question for me (and if it has already been answered, please direct me to the answer):

Will Iron Man be used as Tony Stark's body guard? Well, not necessarily used, but when asked, will IM say that he works for Stark?

Thanks.

He is.

I feel Jon is telling us a lot more than we deserve.

TheVileOne said:
He is.

I feel Jon is telling us a lot more than we deserve.

He's very honest, and open, yeah, he might be giving us to much info, but he did say Marvel lets him know if he's going to far, so let him I guess. In the past we didn't hear anything and now were hearing alot, I try to limit what I see so I have something to get excited about(don't get me wrong as a Iron Man fan, i want all I can get), it is 2 years away, don't want to burn out.

Posted: Jun 3, 2006 7:51 PM

Chris KeelingWrote:
Hey Jon,

I have one simple question, what color are you thinking of for the suit? The red & gold? or the red & silver?

Thanks,

Chris

Jon Favreau:

red and gold

Posted: Jun 3, 2006 7:58 PM

MichaelWrote:
Jon, first of all, thanks for taking the time to do this...and to do it with such evident sincerity. It's appreciated.

I've been reading IM since...ahhh, waaaaay too long ago...TOS 84, I think. What I've enjoyed is how Tony Stark has, among Marvel characters, been affected the MOST by the times around him, in terms of his core character. The scientist/militant/savior of the '60s hadda go in the with-it '70s, so there was that whole crisis of conscience about making arms; being a death merchant seemed pretty uncool for a guy who was slapping on steel spandex to go out and save lives and clobber villains.

I mean, other Marvel characters had to wrestle with the real world, don't get me wrong, but I can't think of any who had to make such big choices as a result of their station in life. It's why I loved Ellis/Granov's run...it got Iron Man off the dime; once again, it was Stark trying to rediscover his fire, to realize his place in the world.

Do you anticipate a similar character arc in the film? As with the comics, taking Tony from an ivory-tower to a realization about how his choices affect the world, a sea-change that owes to what happens to him? That'd put a bit more meat on the bones of the story than the expected "boy gets slammed/boy gets powers/boy gets even" formula.

Jon Favreau:

Iron Man is not a revenge tale like Spidey, Batman, Daredevil, etc. It is about a man who invents a technology that impacts the entire world. What does that really mean? How does this breakthrough change him? What do you do when you have that responsibility? How do the governments of the world react to this? These are the types of things the movie should be about.

Posted: Jun 3, 2006 8:01 PM

DarkniteWrote:
I was wondering if you were going to show that there are other heros in the world as well, sort of like what there going to be doing in FF2?

Jon Favreau:

I intend to start the movie grounded in the "real world, " not the "Marvel Universe."

Posted: Jun 3, 2006 8:06 PM

nativesonWrote:
Hi Jon,

Will this movie be like a labor of love for you, or will it be just an exciting project to work on? I believe the answer to that will make the difference in the quality of the film.

Jon Favreau:

I can't direct a film that I am not passionate about. You can get through a script as a writer with a bit of creative inspiration. As an actor, you can buck up and plow through a role if you have a fun hook to hang on to for a few weeks/months. As a director, you have to live in the world for years and hang your whole career on a movie. I can't imagine doing that if I didn't love it.

More...

Regarding Adi Granov designs. No question was quoted.

Posted: May 13, 2006 5:47 PM

I'm going to go ahead and lobby for the obvious at this point: Adi Granov needs to do the design work for this movie. Hell, he should do the movie poster, too.

I mean sheesh, look at his freaking web page: http://www.sofos.com/adi/

I know Faves likes Adi's work on Iron Man, but this topic is to kind of push the idea, to show that there's a lot of fan support for him. Adi's work goes beyond just looking great on a comics page, or being gorgeous art; it all looks like it could work.

So, let the powers that be know: Adi must work on this movie. Even if the Extremis design isn't used, he should design what is.

Or disagree, whatever.

Jon Favreau's response:

Posted: Jun 3, 2006 4:36 PM

I have been in contact with Adi since he found me on MySpace. I am a fan as well. I think you'll all be very pleased with the direction the suit design is going. Let's leave it at that for now. Fair enough?

Done for today.

Posted: Jun 4, 2006 10:50 PM

Advanced DarkWrote:
Jon,

Are you gonna push the envelope on PG-13 for Iron Man? Perhaps shoots some R-Rated material in a way that the R-Rated stuff can easily be taken out for the theatrical release and added back in for an unrated DVD. I Hate it when DVD's come out with bonus footage that's not included within the movie. It's always separate or there are bad edits when they piece it back together.

Jon Favreau:

I don't plan on graphic violence. It betrays the genre for me. I think comic book movies draw an audience of all ages and violence that is too graphic tends to throw off the whole experience. I don't intend to water anything down, just reflect the style and content of the books.

That's it for now.

Advanced Dark said:
Regarding Adi Granov designs. No question was quoted.

Done for today.

Holy crap:eek: he basically said he is on board:up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"