Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

N

Disliked:
while most of the Cliff Booth stuff was quite good, his whole ten minute roof-top fantasy about getting on-set with Rick and the whole process of that culminating in him fighting with Bruce Lee... I've tried to give it the benefit of the doubt that it brings depths to Pitt's character by showing us how imaginative he is on the inside or maybe on a broader thematic level it's foreshadowing the ways in which what we are seeing is the opposite of reality, but I just can't debate myself into thinking that it wasn't mostly a waste of time.

So it has been brought to my attention that
Cliff's fantasy was more of a flashback. Regardless, though, I found it far too long and mostly pointless aside from trying to incorporate Bruce Lee into the movie beyond the tidbit of his training of Tate for Wrecking Crew. I get that we also get some of Cliff's back-story but I think the same purpose could have been achieved in some other way or in a third of the time.

That sequence also shows us that
Cliff has some serious fighting skills, which will of course come into play later.

It serves multiple narrative purposes and is a downright hoot to watch, imo. Easily one of my favorite scenes in the film.

It is an excellent scene and not a fantasy. We hear that the gaffer on Lancer is friends from Randy on Green Hornet, we then flashback to Green Hornet (which was shot in '66 or '67) and see why Cliff burned bridges with Randy.

As for the scene in question, I am aware that there is some cultural appropriation at play with Tarantino establishing the fighting prowess of his fictional white, male, cowboy hero at the expense of a real-life person of color who had to fight the systemic racism of mid-20th century Hollywood, but with that said the scene unto itself is not mocking Lee anymore than Inglourious Basterds mocked Winston Churchill. So it is somewhat problematic, but it is a funny scene, for better or worse, and Lee himself does not "lose" the fight, nor is that the only flavor of him. I got a lot out of small snippets of seeing him train Sharon Tate and Jay Sebring that made me understand there was a good person there...if underdeveloped.

Question

Did my eyes deceive me or was that
Samuel L Jackson in a non speaking cameo in the scene where Rick is filming his Western scene at the bar? The camera pans twice to a table with three men looking on as Rick’s giving his monologue and one of them looks a LOT like Sam. But i looked it up online and theres no info about Sam being in this movie at all so I’m wondering if it was just me lol

Last edited:
finally got to see it now I see why the Lee family was so upset, but overall this movie was boring didn't know what was the purpose of the long drawn out scene with Leo and Olyphant ???
best parts were Pitt's character but even then he was just a glorified assistant I was thinking we see him doing stunt work and things like that not everybody is enthralled with Hollywood so all the Hollywood references did nothing for the crowd I was in

this is the first QT movie where I walked out saying dam wish I skipped this

Question

Samuel L Jackson in a non speaking cameo in the scene where Rick is filming his Western scene at the bar? The camera pans twice to a table with three men looking on as Rick’s giving his monologue and one of them looks a LOT like Sam. But i looked it up online and theres no info about Sam being in this movie at all so I’m wondering if it was just me lol

I don't think that was him, looked too heavy.

Question

Didn’t notice him myself, but I’m seeing it again tonight so I shall pay extra attention to that part!

Tarantino says about Cuthroat Island that it was "great back then, now it is fantastic".

He talks a lot about how everything is built and real in Cuthroat Island and how hard it is to make a film like that. He also talks about his dislike for digital movie making and how easy everything is these days. He talk also about his dislike for cgi effects.

Renny Harlin was really moved about what Tarantino said, and wrote about it on his Facebook. Harlin said something like "how a few kind words can change a lifetime of negativity".

Last edited:
And yet he plans on making Star Trek. I assume he'll use everything they used back in the 60s.

I honestly wouldn’t be remotely surprised if his vision for Star Trek included the old school miniatures and matte paintings approach over CGI.

Since the Kill Bill movies count as one according to QT, I wouldn't be surprised if he did Kill Bill 3 before he work on Star Trek.

Tarantino says about Cuthroat Island that it was "great back then, now it is fantastic".

He talks a lot about how everything is built and real in Cuthroat Island and how hard it is to make a film like that. He also talks about his dislike for digital movie making and how easy everything is these days. He talk also about his dislike for cgi effects.

Renny Harlin was really moved about what Tarantino said, and wrote about it on his Facebook. Harlin said something like "how a few kind words can change a lifetime of negativity".
He's right.

I frankly never understood the negativity for that film. Not without problems, but I rewatched it not long ago and it was such a breath of fresh air from all this digital laziness, sequelitis and creative bankruptcy.

I appreciate the effort and the vision of Cutthroat Island, but it's a film where nothing on screen goes right. It's a movie where you appreciate the details more.

Cutthroat Island has a great imdb trivia page:
Oliver Reed was originally cast as Mordechai Fingers. He was fired after getting in a bar fight and mooning at Geena Davis.

Several years later, Matthew Modine explained some of the reasons why the film's costs spiraled out-of-control. Among other things, dozens of cases of V8 juice were shipped out to Malta, expressly for Renny Harlin and Geena Davis. An entire room of V8 was left towards the end of the shoot, so it was served to everybody. Every scene had three cameras in constant use, resulting in yards and yards of film used for every shot.

At one point, Geena Davis and Renny Harlin begged to be let go from the film, knowing it would be a disaster. The studio refused.

And all three of them suffered.

Question

So I did pay extra close attention to this on my latest viewing, and unless they put him under some serious prosthetics, it wasn't him, imo.

Ok gotcha. I might just be conditioned to expect to see him in Tarantino’s movies lol

Taking a friend to finally see this in a few, she just had a mini Tarantino marathon too.

kNI6jGN.gif

Will wonders never cease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"