Rashida Jones and Bryce Dallas Howard for Janet Van Dyne. Who will it be?

how do you come to that conclusion? have you read the script? :wow: OMG, please send it to me I want to read it too!

almost everything so far suggests they are sticking pretty close to the TSAA-M story

judging by Wright's "homework," they are going to be extremely faithful to Pym's "Man in the Ant-Hill" story. btw, i feel like it needs to be mentioned that (originally) Pym dumped his formula down the drain. he was retconned into a superhero.

does anyone have the linnk to the interview wher wright was talking about man in the ant hill?

If they are going to cast Jones/Howard, I hope they jettison the romance angle with Pym. It is going to be creepy having either of them paired up with a guy who is 2x their age. If they want to capture the romance, cast someone who is around ten or so years younger than Douglas, not 30.

Edit: More thing about it, the more obvious it appears that they are not going to Adapt the relationship between Hank and Jan from the Comics; I imagine the central romantic relationship will be between Rudd and whoever is cast
, given the closeness of their ages.

Last edited:
I'd take either. Both would be great choices imo. But MEW is still my #1 choice, with Anna Kendrick and Alison Brie second or third.

I agree with Darthskywalker on account of the two actresses: both are excellent.

If they are going to cast Jones/Howard, I hope they jettison the romance angle with Pym. It is going to be creepy having either of them paired up with a guy who is 2x their age. If they want to capture the romance, cast someone who is around ten or so years younger than Douglas, not 30.

Edit: More thing about it, the more obvious it appears that they are not going to Adapt the relationship between Hank and Jan from the Comics; I imagine the central romantic relationship will be between Rudd and whoever is cast

Like I said: if they cast Catherine Zeta Jones as Janet, then errbody can shut da hell up and bask in the glory of May-December. :o

and I don't think there will be a central romantic relationship. there certainly wasn't one in "To Steal an Ant-Man." the story is about a desperate father trying not to lose the only thing he has left. he's an ex-con; not a contestant on The Bachelor.

Like I said: if they cast Catherine Zeta Jones as Janet, then errbody can shut da hell up and bask in the glory of May-December. :o

I don't buy it. if they cast her as anyone, it will be Pym's first wife.

and I don't think there will be a central romantic relationship. there certainly wasn't one in "To Steal an Ant-Man." the story is about a desperate father trying not to lose the only thing he has left. he's an ex-con; not a contestant on The Bachelor.

I am aware of the absence of romance in said tale. I was merely commenting on the inevitability of romance, as every MCU film has the main hero in a romantic relationship.
IM 1-3: Pepper/Tony, Tony/Woman who worked on Extremis (to a small extent)
Thor: Jane/Thor
Cap: Cap/Peg
Avengers: Hawkeye/BW (to a small extent) Tony/Pepper
Hulk: Banner/Betty

So, I am placing Vegas odds that there is going to be a romance with one of the hero leads. The logical (and sane approach) would be for Lang and Jan to hook up. Otherwise, Jan hooking up with a guy who is 30+ years older than her is creepy and nasty as hell, unless they recast for an older woman, which is unlikely, given the news we were supplied.

I am aware of the absence of romance in said tale. I was merely commenting on the inevitability of romance, as every MCU film has the main hero in a romantic relationship.
IM 1-3: Pepper/Tony, Tony/Woman who worked on Extremis (to a small extent)
Thor: Jane/Thor
Cap: Cap/Peg
Avengers: Hawkeye/BW (to a small extent) Tony/Pepper
Hulk: Banner/Betty

does every MCU film have the main character steal the costume of an older one? did any of them have a sick kid? i don't think any of us can predict what Wright is going to do. he wrote this story prior to there being a formula for marvel films. that's why the villain is rumored to be this Castillo individual instead of some kind of twisted version of the hero. he's not playing to expectations. but feel free to play those vegas odds.

I am really interested to see how Wasp is (or isn't) handled. Will they just make her the love interest of Scott Lang instead? Will she be as old as Michael Douglas' Pym? Will they leave her out entirely? Will she be Scott Lang's sick family member?

Hmm...

I am really interested to see how Wasp is (or isn't) handled. Will they just make her the love interest of Scott Lang instead?

i'd more believe that Janet would be portrayed as an expert class vigilante who somewhat disdainful of an amateur criminal taking up the Ant-Man guise.

Will she be as old as Michael Douglas' Pym?

i doubt it. older women simply aren't as marketable. i'm not condoning the double standard; just pointing it out. plus, i think Whedon would want a younger woman that he can transition into the Avengers.

Will they leave her out entirely?

i hope not.

Will she be Scott Lang's sick family member?..

unlikely. they already seemed to be looking for a 9 year old little girl.

plus, i think Whedon would want a younger woman that he can transition into the Avengers.
Except that we don't know what Whedon's involvement with the MCU will be after A2. Maybe he'll stay on for phase 3, maybe not.

i hope not.
I thought there was a quote somewhere that Janet would be in it, but not as Wasp, and that we'd only see hints of her future as Wasp. Or was that just a rumor? If so, what was the source's reliability? (I believe this was before the Douglas casting news).

unlikely. they already seemed to be looking for a 9 year old little girl.
I thought most people decided that casting call probably wasn't for Ant-Man.

I thought there was a quote somewhere that Janet would be in it, but not as Wasp, and that we'd only see hints of her future as Wasp. Or was that just a rumor? If so, what was the source's reliability? (I believe this was before the Douglas casting news).

i'd have to track it down. i do know that Wright put up the opening credits of "The Incredible Shrinking Woman" as a twitter teaser.

I thought most people decided that casting call probably wasn't for Ant-Man.

news to me

EDIT: i found the rumor you are probably referencing. it was from an unsubstantiated source.

http://www.superheromoviesnews.com/2013/10/exclusive-we-know-who-front-runner-for.html

So, the same source that told me about the Paul Rudd thing has contacted me again. I was actually contacted on Monday, but I went through multiple sites and contacted some friends to track down and find out how legit this rumour actually is, so bare with me here. The new rumour that is going around says, that The Wasp WON’T feature in Ant-Man, but Janet Van Dyne WILL. The source says, “Janet will be a love interest and a major supporting character, we would see multiple references to her future as The Wasp throughout the film.” As if this wasn’t enough, the source later told me WHO Marvel and Edgar Wright had in their eyes for the role. It seems that Parks& Recreation star Rashida Jones is on top of Marvel’s shortlist for the role of 'Janet Van Dyne'. Rashida Jones is said to be Marvel’s top pick for her “chemistry with the other actors.”

maybe there's truth to it. but didn't they just recently say that Rashida Jones wasn't in the running?

Last edited:
Either of them would make a fine Janet.

i'd have to track it down. i do know that Wright put up the opening credits of "The Incredible Shrinking Woman" as a twitter teaser.

news to me

EDIT: i found the rumor you are probably referencing. it was from an unsubstantiated source.

http://www.superheromoviesnews.com/2013/10/exclusive-we-know-who-front-runner-for.html

So, the same source that told me about the Paul Rudd thing has contacted me again. I was actually contacted on Monday, but I went through multiple sites and contacted some friends to track down and find out how legit this rumour actually is, so bare with me here. The new rumour that is going around says, that The Wasp WON’T feature in Ant-Man, but Janet Van Dyne WILL. The source says, “Janet will be a love interest and a major supporting character, we would see multiple references to her future as The Wasp throughout the film.” As if this wasn’t enough, the source later told me WHO Marvel and Edgar Wright had in their eyes for the role. It seems that Parks& Recreation star Rashida Jones is on top of Marvel’s shortlist for the role of 'Janet Van Dyne'. Rashida Jones is said to be Marvel’s top pick for her “chemistry with the other actors.”

maybe there's truth to it. but didn't they just recently say that Rashida Jones wasn't in the running?

A different rumormonger said that Rashida Jones and Bryce Dallas Howard *weren't* in the running; so right now, it's just "anonymous sources" vs. "anonymous sources."

But if the "anonymous source" above can be believed, that bit about Rashida's "chemistry with the other actors" most likely refers to her experience working with Rudd. Which, in context of the source's other statement that Janet is the love interest, paints a pretty clear picture that it's Janet Van Dyne hooking up with Scott Lang. Which makes Janet as Hank's daughter a lot more plausible.

Perhaps we will only see a Janet in flashbacks. Remember if she died Pym could lose his taste for heroics.

A different rumormonger said that Rashida Jones and Bryce Dallas Howard *weren't* in the running; so right now, it's just "anonymous sources" vs. "anonymous sources."

But if the "anonymous source" above can be believed, that bit about Rashida's "chemistry with the other actors" most likely refers to her experience working with Rudd. Which, in context of the source's other statement that Janet is the love interest, paints a pretty clear picture that it's Janet Van Dyne hooking up with Scott Lang. Which makes Janet as Hank's daughter a lot more plausible.

We just heard she was being looked at nothing more. Was confirmed by Variety and Schmoes Know. But of course they may go a different route cause Jones in unavailable it seems. She has a new TV show on NBC. She woulda made a great Van Dyne though.

So perhaps Janet VanDyne death caused Pym's retirement . Janet Pym's safety could be Lang's moment. Say a kidnapping, burnout out shrinking powers on Pyms part. Lang loves Janet 2, thus Hank gives him the suit.

Could work as a revamp of "To Steal an Ant Man"

I want to officially present my cleft chin theory. I think they were going after Jessica Chastain and Bryce Dallas Howard because they have cleft chins; like Michael Douglas. I think Jan's going to be his kid, in this one. and just to throw it out there, Cameron Douglas (Michael's son) is 35 years old. Jessica Chastain is 36. Bryce is 32. Rashida is 37. they are all within the right range of daughter age.

So perhaps Janet VanDyne death caused Pym's retirement . Janet Pym's safety could be Lang's moment. Say a kidnapping, burnout out shrinking powers on Pyms part. Lang loves Janet 2, thus Hank gives him the suit.

Could work as a revamp of "To Steal an Ant Man"

Yeah, I think there'll be a dysfunctional family vibe going on there. Hank feuding with his rebellious daughter; the adventure throwing Scott Lang and Janet together, where they fall in love; crotchety old Daddy Hank disapproves at first, but eventually realizes Lang is a good guy at heart. Wouldn't be surprised to see the movie end with Hank walking his daughter down the aisle to marry Scott Lang.

Yeah, I think there'll be a dysfunctional family vibe going on there. Hank feuding with his rebellious daughter; the adventure throwing Scott Lang and Janet together, where they fall in love; crotchety old Daddy Hank disapproves at first, but eventually realizes Lang is a good guy at heart. Wouldn't be surprised to see the movie end with Hank walking his daughter down the aisle to marry Scott Lang.[ /QUOTE]

that ain't happening. and it would be horribly inappropriate after one team-up. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"