• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superman Returns Rate Kevin Spacey's performance as Lex Luthor

War Lord said:
She could only do so much with the material she had.

It seems like the material was there...perhaps this is direction. Her lines are corny, but she says them so straight that there is no humor. Her facial reactions were IMO the best because it seemed like she could cut loose. IMO, it seems like they deliberately played down her campiness so it didn't steal Lex's shine or stick to him like glue. This made her annoying and not funny...but who knows...maybe corny didn't work because she's just not the actress for it.

I don't want to think on her too long. I did like Lex. Man...he was ruthless with the ass whopping. I was up in my chair and alert for that scene because it was wrenching to watch...I hated Lex at that moment.

charl_huntress said:
It seems like the material was there...perhaps this is direction. Her lines are corny, but she says them so straight that there is no humor. Her facial reactions were IMO the best because it seemed like she could cut loose. IMO, it seems like they deliberately played down her campiness so it didn't steal Lex's shine or stick to him like glue. This made her annoying and not funny...but who knows...maybe corny didn't work because she's just not the actress for it.

I don't want to think on her too long. I did like Lex. Man...he was ruthless with the ass whopping. I was up in my chair and alert for that scene because it was wrenching to watch...I hated Lex at that moment.

It really showed who Lex was when you've removed his use of technology and wit.

War Party said:
I thought Lex was brilliant and I liked the kid.

I thought Lex was indeed brilliant, but I didn't like the kid.

will post my review of the Spaceman tomorrow.

he was great... loved the toothbrush scene... got a lot of laughs

Steelsheen said:
Now that you've seen Kevin Spacey's performance in the film, what is your assesment of him as Lex Luthor?

superman_returns_03.jpg

Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor - Spacey's is 100 % Lex Luthor. He
was brilliant as Lex. He plays him with such passionate fire. I've never seen a live action Lex Luthor on screen Who was so determined, So obsessed to Destory SUPERMAN. When Lex was beating The crap out of Superman on New Krypton . OMG I wanted to kill him myself to save SUPERMAN. Spacey acting was Fantastic. He seem's to have taken little piece of every incarnation of Lex Luthor {from the comics, to The movies, To The tv series & cartoons} in his acting And yet he's never one-dimensional or flat. He's got motive and he's got depth, and he's also got a The villianous role dead on . Lex always puts himself first, and that's never more apparent than it is in this film. His performance is Incredible.

A HUGE 10/10 :up: :up: Spacey's is LUTHOR .

Kane said:
Believe me, this movie needed a Luthor like him.

After that heartbreaking hospital scene, the audience needed something to cheer them up.............Luthor supplied that.

It was well paced.

Yes, because the villian is supposed to cheer the audience up. Thats the villians job and all :confused:

venom420 said:
Yes, because the villian is supposed to cheer the audience up. Thats the villians job and all :confused:

Lex did both.....I dont think beating the **** out of Kal-el and stabbing him was very cheerful.

He was a great balance.

Kane said:
Lex did both.....I dont think beating the **** out of Kal-el and stabbing him was very cheerful.

He was a great balance.

Not gonna tell a lie here, I loved the beat down on Superman. Perfect!!! That was Spacey's finest moment in the movie.

I just wish the majority humor spoken by Lex, Kitty, and co. would have been tossed, creating a dark, benevolent feel around Lex for the whole movie!!!

Kal-El 8 said:
Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor - Spacey's is 100 % Lex Luthor. He
was brilliant as Lex. He plays him with such passionate fire. I've never seen a live action Lex Luthor on screen Who was so determined, So obsessed to Destory SUPERMAN. When Lex was beating The crap out of Superman on New Krypton . OMG I wanted to kill him myself to save SUPERMAN. Spacey acting was Fantastic. He seem's to have taken little piece of every incarnation of Lex Luthor {from the comics, to The movies, To The tv series & cartoons} in his acting And yet he's never one-dimensional or flat. He's got motive and he's got depth, and he's also got a The villianous role dead on . Lex always puts himself first, and that's never more apparent than it is in this film. His performance is Incredible.

A HUGE 10/10 :up: :up: Spacey's is LUTHOR .
:up: agreed..i wanted to kick lexs ass:mad:

Well, I guess I'll be the lone descenter. I didn't like his performance. It wasn't all his fault, the writers didn't give him enough to work with. He's more menacing than Hackman's Luthor, but also lacked the charm and charisma of the character.

The biggest problem is that Supes has been gone for 5 years, and there's no explanation for why all of a sudden he's interested in Kryptonian technology.

I'm mixed with Lex. To me, he's cunning and exude superiority which to me Kevin lacked, but I guess for the flow of the movie he worked.

Kitty wow - she was great!!! She was funny and insanely compassionate. As she returns to Gertrude's mansion "Wasn't there 2 of them..." something like that - just brilliant and stupendous. Every scene she was amazing...

Spacey was more sinister than Hackman, but I prefered STAS Lex to this one, he was by far the best Lex. Comic Relief villains are so 80s.

venom420 said:
Not gonna tell a lie here, I loved the beat down on Superman. Perfect!!! That was Spacey's finest moment in the movie.

I just wish the majority humor spoken by Lex, Kitty, and co. would have been tossed, creating a dark, benevolent feel around Lex for the whole movie!!!

But then the climax scene on NK wouldnt have been as surprising and shocking.

Lex's darkside kinda slowly emerged throughout the whole film until BAM! NK.

My favorite version of Lex Luthor

The top 5

(1) Lex Luthor - Superman comics

(2) Kevin Spacey - Superman RETURNS

(3) Clancy Brown - Superman: The Animated Series /Justice League/Justice League Unlimited (Animated Series)

(4) Michael Rosenbaum - Smallville

(5) Gene Hackman - Superman Movies

(6) John Shea - Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

(7) Lyle Talbot - Atom Man Vs. Superman

\8/ Michael Bell - Ruby-Spears SUPERMAN cartoon

Kal-El 8 said:

The top 5

(2) Kevin Spacey - Superman RETURNS

(3) Clancy Brown - Superman: The Animated Series /Justice League/Justice League Unlimited (Animated Series)

(4) Michael Rosenbaum - Smallville

(5) Gene Hackman - Superman Movies

(6) John Shea - Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

(7) Lyle Talbot - Atom Man Vs. Superman

\8/ Michael Bell - Ruby-Spears SUPERMAN cartoon

Perfect.

Sounds exactly right.

The Question said:
There was absolutely nothing wrong with his Lex. Did he have a sense of humor? Sure. But he wasn't campy. Not in the slightest. His was a crazy kind of humor. Anyway, I really liked that they actually did use a touch of Lex Luthor: Man of Steel. He's commiting horrible crimes, but he feels that it's the best for humanity. Stealing fire from the gods.

Meh, a villain should have a dark sense of humour perhaps, willing to make light of other people's pain (it works for the Joker), but still think the best version of Luthor is the STAS one, who is serious and sinister. I mean should all villains be humourous, should Brainiac be cracking jokes in the sequels? You see how this logic can be taken to an exetreme. Plus it seemed like this version of Lex was trying too hard, the occasional sarcastic barb aimed at some of his men or Kitty would have beem better, but this Lex seemed like he was trying to funny almost all the time and it left kinda flat sometimes. I think comic reliefs villains are so 80s. If Lex is still going jokey in the sequel, I hope there is another villain who is completely humourless and sinister, like Brainiac or something.

Watch this flirtation with using Braniac in the sequel turn into Zod recovering the crystals in space!!!

Kal-El 8 said:

What comics?? He's changed so much you have to be more detailed.

i'm very, very glad that i was wrong about him being campy. he was funny, sure, but not campy funny at all.

The Overlord said:
Meh, a villain should have a dark sense of humour perhaps, willing to make light of other people's pain (it works for the Joker), but still think the best version of Luthor is the STAS one, who is serious and sinister. I mean should all villains be humourous, should Brainiac be cracking jokes in the sequels? You see how this logic can be taken to an exetreme. Plus it seemed like this version of Lex was trying too hard, the occasional sarcastic barb aimed at some of his men or Kitty would have beem better, but this Lex seemed like he was trying to funny almost all the time and it left kinda flat sometimes. I think comic reliefs villains are so 80s. If Lex is still going jokey in the sequel, I hope there is another villain who is completely humourless and sinister, like Brainiac or something.

I don't think all villains should have a sense of humor, but some should. And I also don't think the ones that do should necessairily dark senses of humor. There could be a villain who has a very whimsical sense of humor, or a very corny one. Depends entirely on the character.

The Question said:
I don't think all villains should have a sense of humor, but some should. And I also don't think the ones that do should necessairily dark senses of humor. There could be a villain who has a very whimsical sense of humor, or a very corny one. Depends entirely on the character.

Well I think Lex should be a very a serious character, that's the way he is the comics nowadays and his sense of humour should be low key, sutble and sardonic. That's the Lex I grew up with. Making him an over top clown, rings false to me. If made a serious character like Luthor into a jokester, why not take it further and Brainiac one as well, Brainiac can provide the comic relief in the next movie. I don't like making characters who are sinister and serious in the comics, just comic relief in the movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"