The Last Jedi Rate the new Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser!

Mary Sue definition:

a type of female character who is depicted as unrealistically lacking in flaws or weaknesses.

Rey doesnt fit the definition of a Mary Sue. She either is or she isnt, and the facts of the film doesnt present her as a Mary Sue. If people are identifying her as a Mary Sue its due to either a misunderstanding of what a Mary Sue is or a result of missing certain things in the film that clearly and adequately explain her believable abilities.

For comparison, Daisy on Agents of SHIELD is a massive Mary Sue. Rey, while I can see a few comparisons was never one in book.

The elf girl from The Hobbit movies was more like a Mary Sue.

I gave it a 6. Fine on it's own, but nothing too enticing.

The shot with the AT-ATs worries me. With this being the second film in the new trilogy, to show off that you're copying something so specific from the second film of the original trilogy will not inspire confidence in all the people who were upset about all the things that were recycled in TFA. And don't underestimate the effect that has had now that people have had time to relax and think over what they've really gotten so far between Rogue One and TFA. The fact that this trailer failed to pass up Thor 3 in views is very telling in my opinion.

The line "It's time for the Jedi to end" is intriuging but the implications are troubling to me. The leading fan theories are either that Luke will turn dark or go grey, which I agree are the most likely. However, if Luke goes dark that's a huge betrayal of the character. If he goes grey, that's even worse really. It's a betrayal of the Force.

To the guys who are excited by that...you realize the light and dark side are good and evil, right? These aren't just different methods of using the Force, one is actually good and one is actually evil. To just reduce it to something like martial arts where you need to "balance" the styles robs the Force of as much meaning as midichlorians did. To pursue either of these directions is a recipe for disaster, which may be why Hamill seems to be trying to distance himself from the film already.

It also irritates me that it appears Rey will likely be featured as a corrective force, similar to the situations in TFA where she was able to outduel Kylo Ren and knew more about the Falcon than Han Solo. Being better than everyone else not only makes for a flat protagonist, but it really diminishes the other characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"