The Rise of Skywalker The Episode IX Trailer Threadganza!!!!

Yeah, I liked a lot of the stuff in it but then there were just aspects about it that bugged me. But I feel the greater problem has been with this trilogy as a whole; we’re two movies in and I feel like we still don’t really know how all of this was set up. Who exactly are the First Order? How did they come about? Are they mostly just remnants of the Empire or are they young fanatics who have lionized this extinct evil regime? Where did Snoke come from? How did he come in contact with Kylo Ren? I guess maybe it was through that “force Skype” thing they do in TLJ, but I’m not sure.

I suppose you could say the same thing about the original trilogy; we’re given next to no backstory on the Empire or Palpatine himself (I don’t even think his name is used). In fact, I think the only reason I knew his backstory was because of the prologue in the novelization of ANH (also the first and only place the term “Sith” was used before the prequels, I believe). Yet despite all that, the films felt more complete to me. Maybe it’s because I was able to watch them all in succession because almost all of them were released before I was born. But I think even if I had been able to see them with multi-year gaps in between, I wouldn’t feel like there’s this massive gap in the story. Like, at the end of TESB, you find out Vader is Luke’s father. Shocking for sure, but it’s also obviously something that’s going to be followed up on. At the end of TLJ, Snoke is killed and it’s like, “Ummm... okay? What now? Oh, I guess Kylo is the big bad.” I don’t know. I don’t want to crap on these new films too much because I like the new characters and they’re a BILLION times better than those horrid prequels. But I also feel like they’re a bit of a mess in terms of storytelling.

I agree, there is no 'through-road' of clear, world-build in the actual characters, stakes or plotting (mainly because TFA was built from scratch with less than zero pre-plan of existing material and for TLJ, there was no carry-over from JJ to RJ at all, they admit themselves, they didn't consult and TLJ was written completely without a 'hand over', it shows).

None of that 'lessens' my enjoyment, but completely agree with Deck here, they 'feel' separate entities of existence, maybe the concept was ROS all along would and will provide the glue but it just feels these have been made up as they go along rather than having a 'concentrated' pre-ordained story arc laid out before filming began.

I agree, there is no 'through-road' of clear, world-build in the actual characters, stakes or plotting (mainly because TFA was built from scratch with less than zero pre-plan of existing material and for TLJ, there was no carry-over from JJ to RJ at all, they admit themselves, they didn't consult and TLJ was written completely without a 'hand over', it shows).

None of that 'lessens' my enjoyment, but completely agree with Deck here, they 'feel' separate entities of existence, maybe the concept was ROS all along would and will provide the glue but it just feels these have been made up as they go along rather than having a 'concentrated' pre-ordained story arc laid out before filming began.

Yeah. And I suppose it's not a terrible thing to have no set plan for a trilogy from the get-go; as far as I can tell, George Lucas didn't originally plan for Luke and Leia to be siblings, given how they interact with each other in the first movie. However, given the tight hold Kathleen Kennedy has had over this franchise since she took over (firing directors and all that), I'm kinda shocked they didn't at least have a clear outline of what they wanted to do here. It's a bit of a head scratcher.

Yeah. And I suppose it's not a terrible thing to have no set plan for a trilogy from the get-go; as far as I can tell, George Lucas didn't originally plan for Luke and Leia to be siblings, given how they interact with each other in the first movie. However, given the tight hold Kathleen Kennedy has had over this franchise since she took over (firing directors and all that), I'm kinda shocked they didn't at least have a clear outline of what they wanted to do here. It's a bit of a head scratcher.

KK is a great 'logistics', nuts n' bolts producer (i.e. planning the day-to-day mechanics of film making, but she isn't a 'creative producer', producing works in that sense in the same way you get creative film makers and technical filmmakers as directors, having an all-round skillset is very rare, not all directors and producers can 'excel' in all variants of what's required).

KK learnt from GL by sitting by his side throughout the 80's, along with Spielberg in a period of film history that was sadly still of the 'glorified secretary' approach and she was a ceiling-breaker but as a result, learning by GL's side is learning from a man who is by nature introverted and doesn't like engaging with people (not terrific start if you have aspirations of directing) and KK's natural business approach has been as a 'in-house' production pioneer not as a 'on-set' creative, and it shows now in this discussion, we are having, basically as far as I can tell, JJ (and RJ, to a degree, although, RJ, clearly has a more 'rebellious' nature of two-fingers approach) are wrestling with the creative v 'get it done' mechanical approach now of KK and Disney as a whole.

As a director in his day, GL made a better producer because he had Spielberg as the more 'personable' approach merchant in that relationship, but at least in the OT, George's heart was in it, with the PT's, CGI was now GL's 'toy' and he no longer had SS to 'guide' or dilute his 'loner' view and by then KK's position was one of head producer so by the time this trilogy comes round, any element of creativity from a producer's ideology is lost I'm afraid and it's been left, ironically for Spielberg's natural and actual prodigy (JJ was Spielberg's pick to take under his wing back in the late 80's) to rescue the whole shebang.

X Knight, do you mind if I 'copy' your avvy, that's a thing of beauty :super:
really?? lol.

I guess you could. but, I'd prefer if I'm the only one using it here on the Hype or elsewhere on the net. if you don't mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"