Rate the X-Men cast

BMM

Superhero
Reaction score
Someone started a thread in the Marvel films section asking who you would cast in an X-Men reboot. I couldn’t think of many actors I preferred over the current cast, which got me thinking. How good of a job do you think they did casting the X-Men franchise?

Granted, I’m taking into consideration the scripts the actors had to work with, and I’m not giving much thought to minor characters like “Psylocke.” In retrospect, however, and in comparison to other superhero franchises, I think they did a good job.

For instance, I think Patrick Stewart as Professor Xavier is a no-brainer and rivals the best of the best in terms of superhero casting, but they could have just as easily passed on hiring him. Likewise, Ian McKellen is a great Magneto, even if not an obvious choice. Sure, there are a couple questionable actors, but I can’t think of many that I really dislike (think Julian McMahon as Dr. Doom) save for maybe two or three. Thoughts?

I'd have to vote 7/10, because I think some of the casting was spot on, others not so good.

I'd never have picked Patrick Stewart, simply because it's such an obvious choice to pick a bald-headed man who plays bald-headed parts for a bald-headed role! Likewise, I'd never have chosen McKellen. But these two actors succeeded because of acting ability. As did Jackman, who is far from an accurate or obvious choice.

The most spot-on casting was Kelsey Grammer. Rebecca was superb as Mystique - who'd have thought she'd play it so well! And Cumming was very good as Nighcrawler. The blue mutants rocked!

By no means a perfect casting, but some superb acting (despite some weaker writing/directing affecting the portrayals in X3).

Magneto, Xavier and Mystique were all superbly portrayed. There was no real weak link in the cast; however, of course, poor directing and a limited role makes it easier for people to bash someone like Halle Berry.

Casting wasn't the problem. The worst casting choice as far as significant characters goes (I'm not counting ones like Psylocke) was Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, and even he was pretty good (although his Canadian accent is waayyy overrated).

Outside of Magneto, Xavier, Mystique and perhaps Beast i think i'd clean house.

i'll give a 9/10 because of halle.

i think halle was the weak link in the cast.

everyone else was great casting and played the roles wonderfully.

first thought 8/10... then 10/10 because the cast actually did good with what was given

:/

My opinion of the films gets more and more negative as time goes on.

i didn't like anna as rogue, marsden was ok, but a bit too small, and ian, as good an actor as he is, i would rather have someone else as magneto, and i didn't like halle as storm.

Charles, Mystique, Nightcrawler, Wolverine,Kitty, Beast, Magneto were right on!!

They should've casted someone much older to play Cyclops(maybe that guy that plays Nick from the Young and The Restless) and written him better

I still believe Angella Basette would've been gr8 for Storm, if written better(as far warrior/powers style they got right in X3, kudos to Halle)

Ummm I luv Famke as Dark Phoenix, but she looked bored in X1 and X2 as regular 'ole Jean Grey, any red-hair actress could play her

Paquin did a good job as timid Rogue, but Eliza Dusku would've been gr8 as sexy, tough as nails Rogue, if written...

Bobby, Pyro, and Angel jus needed more "umph" to their characters

minor characters like Toad, Creed, Pyslocke, etc were fine...

Halle was the only weak link. Other then that, near perfection.

Hugh as Wolverine is masterful!

I think the cast was more or less perfect ....

Halle is the obvious weak link but Storm is an almost impossible role to cast and she did the best she could.

You only have to look at other comic book movies to see how little time and effort is normally put into casting these things so Singer deserves praise.

Charles, Mystique, Nightcrawler, Wolverine,Kitty, Beast, Magneto were right on!!

They should've casted someone much older to play Cyclops(maybe that guy that plays Nick from the Young and The Restless) and written him better

I still believe Angella Basette would've been gr8 for Storm, if written better(as far warrior/powers style they got right in X3, kudos to Halle)

Ummm I luv Famke as Dark Phoenix, but she looked bored in X1 and X2 as regular 'ole Jean Grey, any red-hair actress could play her

Paquin did a good job as timid Rogue, but Eliza Dusku would've been gr8 as sexy, tough as nails Rogue, if written...

Bobby, Pyro, and Angel jus needed more "umph" to their characters

minor characters like Toad, Creed, Pyslocke, etc were fine...

Wierd. I completely agree.

Halle Berry wins brownie points because she's so cute, but Basette would have made a much more believable Storm, especially in the later sequels when she has to be a leader like she is in the books.

I didn't necessarily hate Famke as Jean Grey, but I could definitely see a better casting. Same with Paquin, didn't hate her, but felt the casting limited the amount of spice they could add to the Rogue character compared to what she's like in the comics. Even the Ultimate Cyclops who is closer in age to the movie Cyclops doesn't come across as much as a kid as the movie version, I'm with you that they needed someone older.

And I have no problem with the biggest physical stray (other than costumes) from the X-men comics -- Wolverine's height -- because I think a short Wolverine would have looked stupid in the movies.

I thought Angel was way too young and small.

The 3 that are spot on for me are Xavier, Logan and Nightcrawler.

I had a problem with Ms Berry as storm. She is an amzing actress and no doubt one of the best but between the writers and her acting, they made the character of storm sooooo different from how I felt she should of been. The movie version of storm was kind of laid back and girly.

Other non movie versions of storm were more agressive, fierce and a warrior princess. The best they did to show this was her dialouge with nightcrawler over pitty and her battle scenes.:xmen:

Everyone else was spot on, although i would of liked Anna to have rogue's mississippi accent (they didtry but she turned it on and off)

The three spot-on choices for their roles I believe were Patrick Stewart (Prof. X), Kelsey Grammer (Beast), and Alan Cumming (Nightcrawler).

Other actors who surprised me and excelled in their roles

- Famke Janseen (Jean Grey/Phoenix)
- Hugh Jackman (Wolverine)
- Ian McKellen (Magneto)
- Rebecca Romijn (Mystique)

Pretty much the whole cast was excellent. I'd change Halle. And if the writers had written Rogue differently, I'd change Anna. But for the way the character was written, I think she did great.

To me, the best ones are Patrick, Rebecca, Ian, Famke and Hugh. But everyone (with a little exception from Halle) did brilliant jobs with what they were given. Even Halle could have been better, if the script and direction had a specific attention to her and tried to adequate her acting to fit Storm better.

I can't give any less than 10 though. Few movies have such a wonderful cast, with all of them trying their best for roles that were often subpar.

Love:
Rogue
Mystique
Magneto
Kitty Pryde
Beast
Pyro

Like:
Cyclops
Prof X
Juggernaut
Iceman
Wolverine
Collossus
Nightcrawler
Toad
Yuriko
Callisto
Angel

Dont Like:
Storm
Jean Grey

Characters who Im happiest with their portrayal (more a writters issue than actors)
Beast, Kitty Pryde,Magneto, Mystique,Nightcrawler,Pyro,Prof X

You didn't like Famke?!!

Shame on you!

Halle was the weak link for me too (as most people have pointed out) but as livrule pointed out how exactly do you find someone to cast in that role? Course I am a little biased since I've never been overly impressed with Halle Berry's acting chops...in anything....well...except that role she played in those hit and runs... THAT was acting baby!

hehehe

I like the roles for:
Jean Grey
Wolverine
Cyclops
Iceman
Beast
Shadowcat
Magneto
Professor X
Mystique
Sabretooth
Deathstrike
Toad
Nightcrawler
Juggernaut
Callisto
Sen. Kelly
Stryker

I don't really mind if the other villians has no story because they are just villians as long as they had a good fight scene and Leech should have been green!.

Rogue should have been more fun and Storm should have had a story. Colossus/Angel should have had a bigger story and character development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"