Ratings

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by triplet, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serene Registered

lol.. I think you meant, Lara. :)

Understandable mistake though.. I think we look a lot alike.. in here at least. ;)

2. JcDc Registered

You do seem like Lara, only difference is... She used to hate me, and you still do :o

3. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

Ooops... I didn't see the top of the post and forgot who I was replying to....

[​IMG]

Sawwy... Of course I know you're not Lara. :(

4. Lara Registered

:confused: You seem to think someone being critical is directly related to being logical. I think it's more a personality style. I don't enjoy being critical and tend to have a very positive, loyal personality. I also don't like to upset people which is why I stopped posting about the movie.That being said when I'm sick of a show I just stop watching for example, X-files and Enterprise. I also tend to have unpopular opinons for example I think MR is just an ok actor and is somewhat effeminite. Just because I don't continually state certain opinons doesn't mean I slavishly love every aspect of the show. I'm not assuming your talking about me but I felt the need to try to explain a different type of fan.

5. AgentPat Squeaky wheel

This begs the question... who IS JC referring to? We're ALL highly critical in this forum, some more than others. But that's okay. We're all fans of the show, and we're all pretty damn knowledgeable about it. Some of us actually read the comics too. *ahem* That said, it's re-heeely starting to bug me that so much emphasis is being placed on the fans verses their opinions. It's why I left the Supes' forums; I'm tired of all the BS there.

6. AgentPat Squeaky wheel

Looks like SV led the WB pack again last week, rating #1 in the 18-34 demo:
    "It was status quo at the weblets, with the WB, led by "Smallville" and "Gilmore Girls," topping UPN in adults 18-34 (1.6/5 vs. 1.4/4)."
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117918412?categoryid=14&cs=1

Ratings for Wednesday's episode, Sacred, according to MediaWeek:

Overnights:
    1. Lost (ABC) (12.6/18)
    2. 60 Minutes (CBS) (7.2/11)
    3. That '70s Show (FOX) (6.3/ 9) and The Simple Life: Interns (6.2/ 9)
    4. Crossing Jordan (NBC) (5.2/ 7)
    5. Smallville (WB) (4.3/ 6)
    6. The Road to Stardom with Missy Elliott (UPN) (2.6/ 4)

18-49 Demo:
    1. Lost (7.5/20)
    2. That '70s Show (3.9/10) and The Simple Life: Interns (3.6/ 9)
    3. 60 Minutes (2.5/ 6)
    4. Smallville (2.2/ 6) (5 million viewers)
    5. Crossing Jordan (1.8/ 5)
    6. The Road to Stardom with Missy Elliott (1.4/ 4)

7. The Incredible Hulk Bad Hombre

It's disturbing to me how many people in thsi country actually watch "The Simple Life".. How a network that launched shows like "The Simpsons", "The X-Files", and "Arested Development" can air crap like that, I'll never understand.. :confused:

8. Serene Registered

You should email Craig at K-Site with this and the explanation of why the demo breakdown is so important. He posts the overall viewership ratings weekly, which is great.. but it doesn't give the whole picture. And I think that since his is probably the SV site with the most traffic, it would make the fans there feel better to know that the ratings aren't as dire a situation as they may seem.

9. Serene Registered

I weep for this country when I see how many people watch shows like "The Simple Life."

10. jas01724 Guest

Interesting. Gilmore Girls got 5.24m viewers last week, Smallville got 5.26m. (Its highest since Spell, and #8 for the season in terms of overall viewers.)

Yet GG got an overall 3.7/6 and SV got 3.2/5.

It kinda sums up that there's both fewer viewers and less competition on a Tuesday, allowing a higher rating from a smaller viewer-base. In a wacky system where the rating is almost more important that total viewership, that allows GG to, technically, be a more successful show.

If SV had never moved from Tuesdays at 9pm it would probably still have viewers upward of 6.5m - that compared to One Tree Hill getting about 4.25m last week in SV's old slot.

11. AgentPat Squeaky wheel

But that's what they're looking at. If SV were to be swapped out with GG - or any other WB show for that matter - the replacement *probably* wouldn't do as well as SV has. It's the only skein they have that's strong enough to put up a good fight in that particular time slot - ironic sounding as that is considering the show's premise. LOL

That said, last night's ep was poor, and the ratings reflect it...

On this night of mixed leadership, NBC won Wednesday in the overnights, while the half-hour voting edition of American Idol was enough for Fox to maintain the No. 1 spot in total viewers and adults 18-49. ABC's Lost, as usual, got off to a winning start with a 12.6/19 in the overnights, 18.83 million viewers and a 6.9/19 among adults 18-49 from 8-9 p.m. An 8 p.m. edition of NBC's Dateline featuring an interview with Scott Peterson's sister was on the map, finishing second in the overnights (8.4/14) and total viewers (11.12 million), and third among adults 18-49 (3.3/ 9).

In season-premiere news, America's Next Top Model 4 on UPN got off to a solid start with a 4.5/ 7 in the overnights (#5), 5.21 million viewers (#5) and a 2.3/ 6 among adults 18-49 (#4). Comparatively, that was an advantage over the WB's competing Smallville (Overnights: #6, 3.8/ 6; Viewers: #6, 4.50 million; A18-49: #5, 1.9/ 5) of 18 percent in the overnights, 710,000 viewers and 21 percent among adults 18-49. It was also the most-watched Top Model opening to-date, and an improvement from the season-premiere of Top Model 3 in households, viewers, adults 18-34 and adults 18-49. Among adults 18-34, Top Model ranked third in the hour.

Also in the 8 p.m. hour were two episodes (original and repeat) of Fox's That '70s Show (Overnights: #3, avg. 5.7/ 8; Viewers: avg. #3, 8.06 million; A18-49: #2, 3.8/10) and 60 Minutes on CBS (Overnights: #4, 5.6/ 8; Viewers: #4, 7.66 million; A18-49: #6, 1.6/ 4).

As a reminder, total viewers and adults 18-49 are based on the fast affiliate ratings.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/newsletters/proginsider/index.jsp

12. jas01724 Guest

Don't get me wrong, I know that. I know that even though it's not technically The WB's most successful show right now, it's still invaluable to their overall schedule performance.

However.

Most will look at the performance against other shows and say that it's not doing well. Me's just trying to correct that misconception. :)

That's not as bad as it sounds; which is of course easy for me to say. :p

13. The Incredible Hulk Bad Hombre

I had a feeling last night's rating would be lower, especially with the premeire of Top Model. That show usually dies after it's premeire however, so when we come back on the air in 6 weeks, I wouldnt be too worried about it

14. darkzombiemutt Hell Hound

They do a poor job promoting Smallville.

15. RB652 Registered

Actually top model ratings slowly increase especially when the competiton has a few remaining contestants. Dont be too suprise if top models is beating smallville later on as well.

16. The Incredible Hulk Bad Hombre

actually according to www.zap2it.com the ratings have gone down for the show each season, and each episode after the premeire with the exception of the finale went down from the previous one, though it's still by far the highest rated show on a terrible network...

17. Super_Ludacris Registered

When your in your 4th Season your audience is established, so there's no need for mass promotion
    Plus people aint really checking for a show about Superman. I'm sorry but the reality of it all is, it won't trump an OC or a Lost in that aspect

18. Lara Registered

They hardly advertised Lucy. Plus if they had shown the truck jump in the adds people probably would have tuned in. Even I thought it looked boring.

19. darkzombiemutt Hell Hound

I thought the episode prior to lucy looked awful, yet it was one of the best they've done. Its bad when hardcore fans are put off by the commercials for the show. Someone needs to hire a new advertising staff.

20. AgentPat Squeaky wheel

Excerpt from the futon critic:
    (Definitely read the whole article though - it's quite interesting)

...one of the strongest messages we've tried to get across in our Nielsen Ratings analysis over the years is that a show's overall rank doesn't really matter in the long run. The key is to "help" the network, or rather improve its time period performance. Nobody is expecting every new show to be a top 10 hit, they simply want to see it build on what's come before.

WEDNESDAYS - The addition of ABC's "Lost" as competition didn't give as harsh a bruise to "Smallville's" ratings in the Wednesday, 8:00/7:00c hour as expected, with the series off a manageable 8.95%. That means there's little reason to think "Smallville" won't stay put next season as the lead-in to a new drama.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/gofuton.cgi?action=rant&id=20050317

The "new drama" will probably be "Supernatural." If so, I think The WB might have finally found the magic elixir for Wednesday nights. Oh, and it seems rather obvious at this point that SV's fifth season is probably a lock. :D

In other news, waz dis mean? Are they referring to this season, or next season?

On Smallville, Kevin is a hottie who can erase people's memories.

http://www.filmjerk.com/new/article1229.html

On that same page, notice the poll about what voters think will be the biggest film this summer. There are currently 516 votes (not a big sample by any stretch), but the big winner is Star Wars with 37.91%. BB is currently at 7.35%. Hmmm... Interesting.

21. Serene Registered

That's weird. I believe they are referring to the upcoming new ep, "Blank" where the FOTW is named Kevin.. but in what context they are mentioning it, I can't figure out. It's like they forgot a sentence to go with it!

22. KikiDee Registered

I agree with you. I think they are trying to wind Smallville down because they have definitely done better in the past.

I watch because it's set on my cable box and wouldn't miss it if there were a toronado a brewing. I love Tom and the crew that much. I think the WB bigwigs suck and don't don't know crap from a hole in the ground. We need new top execs......they get paid too much and suck the life out of good storylines.

Thank God I don't work for them if I did I'd tell them something not so polite.
    Of course, I have to also think of the poor actors having to endure significantly higher pay than I as a school teacher, they might want to go on to even higher outrageous pay as feature film actors. Hey, if I could I would, but alas I am one of the unfortunate many that will go undiscovered because of our not so "Hollywood Looks". :D

23. AgentPat Squeaky wheel

I've been keeping track of the show's repeat ratings just for the helluvit. They're down substantially, but it's to be expected when going up against other shows that are NOT showing repeats (Lost, America's Next Top Model, etc.) The 8pm slot has been taking a beating, which as I say, is not unexpected. What IS interesting however, is how the REPEAT episodes have been doing in the 9pm slot.

Here's an excerpt from yesterday's ratings report at MediaWeek:

...a repeat of the WB's Smallville was last in the [8pm] hour with a 2.3/ 4 in the overnights, 2.73 million viewers and a 1.2/ 3 among adults 18-49.

In the battle of the low-rated 9-10 p.m. drama repeats, another episode of the WB's Smallville (Overnights: #5, 2.3/ 4; Viewers: #5, 2.76 million; A18-49: #5, 1.1/ 3) outdelivered UPN's Kevin Hill (Overnights: #6, 1.7/ 2; Viewers: #6, 2.03 million; A18-49: #6, 1.0/ 2) by 35 percent in the overnights, 730,000 viewers and 10 percent among adults 18-49.​
    Coming in 5th is no major accomplishment, but it's a repeat, and it's been beating Kevin Hill! (I don't expect KH to be renewed, btw.) If repeats of Jack&Bobby were still airing, KH would have trounced it.

Now I know airing two episode of SV back to back isn't anything new, but it goes to show WHY The WB does it. Even repeats put up against weaker shows still win in the ratings. The more I see this get proved week after week, the more utterly amazed I'll be if SV is NOT renewed for a 5th season. Just sayin'.

24. RakuMon Registered

Some interesting tidbits from a USA TODAY article about keeping shows on the air:
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2005-04-12-sos-story_x.htm

Once trigger-happy networks have become more patient with struggling shows that show potential. One Tree Hill appeared DOA last season before blossoming into a WB hit. Reilly is a fan of Committed, a romantic comedy that he thinks could flourish given the right time slot. And WB has shown unusual faith in Jack & Bobby, which has struggled mightily in two tough time slots, averaging 2.3 million viewers — low even by that network's modest standards.

WB
    Renewed (or a shoo-in)

Charmed

Everwood

Gilmore Girls

One Tree Hill

Reba

7th Heaven

Smallville

What I Like About You

25. RakuMon Registered

Overnights for Wed. 4.13:

NBC won the 8 p.m. hour, drawing a 7.4/12 with a "Dateline" special on "The Da Vinci Code." ABC's "Lost" rerun was second at 6.9/11. CBS took third with "60 Minutes," although "The Simple Life 3," 3.9/7, and the premiere of Pamela Anderson's comedy "Stacked," 5.0/8, averaged more total viewers for FOX. "America's Next Top Model," 3.6/6, put UPN in fifth, ahead of The WB's "Smallville."

Why don't they give SV's numbers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.