Recommend A Movie Thread....

Heh! I like that too :up:

--

Horror:

Night of the Living Dead is a must - very basic, but with great tension and some really inspiring shots.

For newer horror films, I'd have to say The Orphanage and 1408. I loved both of these. 1408 especially because I'm a huge Stephen King fan.

Crime/thriller:

The Usual Suspects. Amazing, amazing film. Everything about it is class. The story, the performances, the dialogue. Kevin Spacey never looked back after that, and rightly so.

Fight Club. :eek: Perfect in every way, and made even better because of the glimpse of Helen B.C.'s boob :eek:

Comicbook:

The Dark Knight. Just watch it. And then do it again.

Spider-Man 2. Probably my favourite film of this genre before TDK shook me to orgasm.

Comedy:

I don't know. I don't see many comedies nowadays. I see plenty that are advertised to be. You want a good comedy, go and watch Planes, Trains, And Automobiles. Something with a lil age to it. You do get the odd good one.

Or Roadtrip. It really isn't cheating if you get your dog to lick it off. brick told me :D

Heh! I like that too :up:

--

Horror:

Night of the Living Dead is a must - very basic, but with great tension and some really inspiring shots.

For newer horror films, I'd have to say The Orphanage and 1408. I loved both of these. 1408 especially because I'm a huge Stephen King fan.

Crime/thriller:

The Usual Suspects. Amazing, amazing film. Everything about it is class. The story, the performances, the dialogue. Kevin Spacey never looked back after that, and rightly so.

Fight Club. :eek: Perfect in every way, and made even better because of the glimpse of Helen B.C.'s boob :eek:

Comicbook:

The Dark Knight. Just watch it. And then do it again.

Spider-Man 2. Probably my favourite film of this genre before TDK shook me to orgasm.

Comedy:

I don't know. I don't see many comedies nowadays. I see plenty that are advertised to be. You want a good comedy, go and watch Planes, Trains, And Automobiles. Something with a lil age to it. You do get the odd good one.

Or Roadtrip. It really isn't cheating if you get your dog to lick it off. brick told me :D
not hers. watch the commentary, its a stand ins hoots. sorry:csad:

For so long I've been recommending this movie: 'Glengarry Glen Ross'

the omega man
hound of the baskervilles from Hammer films

I just saw The Fall. It's a fantastic piece of filmmaking. If there are any Neil Gaiman fans reading this, you might enjoy it - it deals with a lot of Gaimanesque themes like the power of storytelling.

The Promotion, Seann William Scott is pretty good in it, he doesn't play the same character he always plays

Southern Comfort

Basically it's Deliverance with soldiers. :up:

Who Killed The Electric Car
Slumdog Millionaire

Even tho its a made for TV film (mini series) i'd say Lonesome Dove.
Its a western starring Tommy Lee Jones, Robert Duvall, Angelica Houston, and Danny glover.
Very, very, good flick. 9/10.

Zodiac

This film should be seen by everyone who is a fan of Fincher or crime thrillers. Or hell, everyone go see it! Beautifully shot and well paced with characters that you love. And one of RBJ's best performances. I feel as if not enough people have seen this film.

Snubbed at the Oscars!

In Bruges
Snatch
Fight Club
Coach Carter
Lords of Dogtown
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Gran Torino
The Wrestler
American History X

The Assassination of Jesse James
3:10 To Yuma

Gladiator
Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Ace Ventura 1 & 2
Bruce Almighty

Last edited:
*subscribes* good thread

Even tho its a made for TV film (mini series) i'd say Lonesome Dove.
Its a western starring Tommy Lee Jones, Robert Duvall, Angelica Houston, and Danny glover.
Very, very, good flick. 9/10.

Great, great choice. Just an incredible viewing experience.

Btw, come on people, lets see some better recommendations than Fight Club, Iron Man, Seven, The Bourne Ultimatum or The Dark Knight. You're preaching to the choir.

Zodiac

This film should be seen by everyone who is a fan of Fincher or crime thrillers. Or hell, everyone go see it! Beautifully shot and well paced with characters that you love. And one of RBJ's best performances. I feel as if not enough people have seen this film.

Snubbed at the Oscars!

As far as the movie goes I did like it a lot. But after doing a lot more research the film is horrible inaccurate and tries to pin the Zodiac title on the wrong man who was cleared numerous times by the FBI and leaves out lots of facts just to make it's case.

Basically that alone brings the whole movie way down because it blames a man that was not the Zodiac killer.

As just a piece of non fiction yes I like it a lot. As a piece of factual events it was based on very bad. I hate to say that too because I liked this movie so much.

In Bruges
Snatch
Fight Club
Coach Carter
Lords of Dogtown
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Gran Torino
The Wrestler
American History X

The Assassination of Jesse James
3:10 To Yuma - Yes, love this movie. It was awesome.

Gladiator
Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Ace Ventura 1 & 2 - Wow, number two, really? I hated that crap when I saw it at 14 and I usually loved stuff back then that I hate now.
Bruce Almighty

Otherwise good picks.

Great, great choice. Just an incredible viewing experience.

Btw, come on people, lets see some better recommendations than Fight Club, Iron Man, Seven, The Bourne Ultimatum or The Dark Knight. You're preaching to the choir.

Did you go through the first few pages? Plus not everyone has seen them you know.

You want something out there that is very good and no one or very few really know?

A Taste of Cherry. Saw this in film class in college. Surprisingly very very good.

As far as the movie goes I did like it a lot. But after doing a lot more research the film is horrible inaccurate and tries to pin the Zodiac title on the wrong man who was cleared numerous times by the FBI and leaves out lots of facts just to make it's case.

Basically that alone brings the whole movie way down because it blames a man that was not the Zodiac killer.

As just a piece of non fiction yes I like it a lot. As a piece of factual events it was based on very bad. I hate to say that too because I liked this movie so much.

but accurate movies are so boring :oldrazz: kidding, of course.. but, imagine a 100% accurate Munich

F**k.

Awesome documentary about the word, and its effect. It gives an overview of the subjects though, so don't be looking for just how it affects religion or television.

[A];16842226 said:
but accurate movies are so boring :oldrazz: kidding, of course.. but, imagine a 100% accurate Munich

It's not even that, but Jake Gyllenhall's character (whoever the real life guy is, I can't remember) basically is obsessed with trying to prove the Zodiac is who he thinks he is. For the most part the movie is pretty accurate. But Ghall's character in real life pretty much just gets the notion that it is the one guy he thinks and eliminates all other possible suspects.

Really lame imo.

Did you go through the first few pages? Plus not everyone has seen them you know.

I'm not referring to 80% of the great, thoughtful posts. I'm referring to people mentioning Lord of the Rings or Spiderman 2. Don't tell me that there's people here who either haven't seen them or need to see them posted on here to be aware of their reputation and/or significance.

ANYHOO... Here's a few: Tim Burton's Ed Wood. Most people here love Burton, and hold a number of his films in high regard, but this one is definitely underseen and rarely mentioned.

Others: Chris Nolan's Following (a great trial run for Memento), Stanley Kubrick's Paths Of Glory, The Lookout, Maria Full of Grace, The Woodsman and Bringing Up Baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"